Unseen_Abilities

It's a long shot, but...

Hey everyone :) As the title to this thread implies, I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears, for those who don't know) I'm not completely sure what the cause of it is - It could be all the loud music I've listened to over the last 10 or so years, it could be an ear condition that I was diagnosed with a while ago (Meniere's disease - Bouts of dizziness/vertigo, sometimes accompanied by hearing damage) or it could be something else entirely (?)

It was very bad about a year ago, until a friend of mine gave me a hypnosis CD to try - I was very sceptical of that, but it worked amazingly well...Up until last week, when I came down with a minor cold (nothing out of the ordinary) that was accompanied by pressure in my head and, of course, the dreaded ringing. Now, my cold is gone but the ringing remains and I don't know what to do - As positive as I try to remain, it's extremely irritating and distressing (makes it difficult to concentrate on anything for long and pretty much impossible to sit in silence :angry: ) I've tried the hypnosis CD again and I went to the doctor to get the excess wax build up cleaned out, but it remains.

I was wondering/hoping if any of you guys could recommend anything I can do to combat this problem, maybe a herbal remedy, meditation, mantra...anything? It would be greatly appreciated, as this is quite distressing.

Many thanks,

T.S

A mudra!

It's called sunya mudra, but there are other names for it as well.

Bend your middle fingers down to your palm/base of thumb, then put your thumbs over them. You can hold it for 45 minutes at a time, while watching tv or whatever...even in meditation if you like.

untitled33.jpg

This website seems to have some good specific info on the mudra...

http://jaisivananda.blogspot.in/2012/01/mudra-cure-for-tinnitus.html

Try not to pay attention to the inner sounds, since that can increase them as well as your sensitivity to them. To help with that, don't sit in silence...have music playing in the background if you are trying to meditate, so that you won't be strengthening the ringing.

Ideally you'd be working with a teacher who knows the intricacies of the body and self healing. This is just info from someone who has read a few books...I haven't tried to cure my own ear ringing with this mudra...so if you try it, let us know how it goes over time. :)

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

Practicing Spring Forest Qigong seems to cure - or at least improve any problem.

http://www.learningstrategies.com/Qigong/Study2.asp

Bloodflow to the brain increased; Memory improved while dizziness, insomnia, numbness, and vertigo headaches decreased

Dr. Sancier reviews two studies where Qigong exercise has been shown to increase bloodflow to the brain. For subjects "with cerebral arteriosclerosis who practice Qigong for one to six months, improvements were noted in symptoms such as memory, dizziness, insomnia, tinnitus, numbness of limbs, and vertigo headache. During these studies, a decrease in plasma cholesterol was also noted."

according to this website you may have ended up with it from the cold.

The #1 suggestion was "300 mg. a day of Coenzyme Q10 This powerful antioxidant is crucial in the effectiveness of the immune system and the circulation to the ears."

second suggestion [from the website]: Home remedies for Tinnitus #2: Bayberry bark, burdock root, goldenseal, hawthorn leaf and flower and myrrh gum purify the blood and counter act infection.

Check this out about cloves:

http://www.antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com/benefits-of-cloves.html

"Although most spices are excellent sources of antioxidants, cloves rank as the richest source of them all. The abundant health benefits of cloves have been well known for centuries. Cloves have antiseptic and germicidal properties that help fight infections, relieve digestive problems and arthritis pain."

"Clove's unsurpassed level of antioxidants includes a number of different antioxidant compounds..."

"Antiseptic Benefits of Cloves

Clove and clove oil are antiseptic in nature and work as an effective remedy for some common problems such as cuts, fungal infections, burns, wounds, athlete's foot and bruises. The antiseptic properties of clove oil are why it's a common ingredient in various dental creams, toothpastes, mouth wash, and throat sprays."

Funny this ties in to a recent question about breath freshners... reminded me about chewing cloves, and so I just found out that they were high in anti-oxidants and germicidal -- had a sore throat like a cold was coming on.. used cloves to kill the germs in my throat by putting the burn from chewing 3+ at a time back to the germs in my throat. That with some sleep and focus of energy. They also gave me a bit of a lift in energy because of chewing about a dozen within 5-15 minutes.

The website also says "Research indicates that a few spicy meals a week won't get you much of the antioxidant benefits of spices; you must consume larger quantities on a daily basis."

So I'm enjoying some cloves by my desk as of recent. They burn especially near the middle of the tongue but you can try to keep it at back and tip to avoid some it. Start of with one though and move up if your not ready for some sting.

I don't know about any drug interactions with plantain herb, but that is known as the herb for blood purification. A herbalist or naturopath would be good to check out if you try the tea in suggestion 2 if you take medications, but looks normally safe at least for a limited period of time. Probably not too much Plantain herb if your adding it to the other similarly working herbs.

Relax, do some qi gong, read some Chuang Tzu

edit: was going to suggest to take ibuprophen since website said "Eat fresh pineapple frequently to reduce inflammation", but "Cause of tinnitus #3: Long-term use of certain medications. Aspirin used in large doses, quinine, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs can affect inner ear

cells."

Be sure to check the site, of course

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

A friend of mine, a dr of chinese medicine, was talking to his father, who is an ear, nose & throat dr.

My friend, "I've been treating someone w/ tinnitus..."

His MD pop, "Tinnitus is untreatable".

My friend, "It's treatable through chinese medicine; it takes a while, but it is. .. You know there are two kinds of tinnitus, right?"

MD pop, "Nope. Do tell."

Moral of story:

Go see a dr of chinese medicine. :)

• Like 1

Is the sound high or low pitched?

I was taught high pitched is gall bladder related; low pitched is kidney related. My own is very high pitched. But I also have an ear injury from youth. So I have another variable which others may not have.

Also look at your ear lobe. There should be a line which is straight down or at a slant.

• Like 1

Hey everyone :) As the title to this thread implies, I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears, for those who don't know) I'm not completely sure what the cause of it is - It could be all the loud music I've listened to over the last 10 or so years, it could be an ear condition that I was diagnosed with a while ago (Meniere's disease - Bouts of dizziness/vertigo, sometimes accompanied by hearing damage) or it could be something else entirely (?)

It was very bad about a year ago, until a friend of mine gave me a hypnosis CD to try - I was very sceptical of that, but it worked amazingly well...Up until last week, when I came down with a minor cold (nothing out of the ordinary) that was accompanied by pressure in my head and, of course, the dreaded ringing. Now, my cold is gone but the ringing remains and I don't know what to do - As positive as I try to remain, it's extremely irritating and distressing (makes it difficult to concentrate on anything for long and pretty much impossible to sit in silence :angry: ) I've tried the hypnosis CD again and I went to the doctor to get the excess wax build up cleaned out, but it remains.

I was wondering/hoping if any of you guys could recommend anything I can do to combat this problem, maybe a herbal remedy, meditation, mantra...anything? It would be greatly appreciated, as this is quite distressing.

Many thanks,

T.S

In TCM the ears relate to the kidneys. It is most definately kidneys. The fact that it went away temporarily should prove to you that it is not untreatable/unfixable. So... how to fix it? Do things that will build up your kidneys, don't do things that will drain your kidneys. I can get this problem too if i be silly so i know how to fix it.

don't

Ejaculate or have sex often even if you don't ejaculate

Alcohol or drugs

Overwork yourself - burn the candle at both ends.

eat sugar or have coffee

Do

relax / meditate / qigong - iron shirt 1 qigong is very good

Eat goji berries - these work good, handful 3 times a day

eat animal kidneys, and chicken livers are good too

rub your kidneys (lower back) fast so it becomes hot for a minute or so or untill your arms are too tired, do it 3 times a day

It will slowly get better, i think 2 weeks of this kinda stuff and you will definately notice improvement

I recently got a blocked ear, was reading about it and this seems to work for some people;

1. Breathe in through your mouth

2. Pinch your nose shut

3. Breath out your nose (still pinched shut)

4. Then release the air

Supposedly it unblocks the eustachian tube of the ear.

A friend suffered tinnitus a long time. She went to an acupuncturist, who got rid of it very quickly.

:)

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the replies and the advice...I'll try some things over the next couple/few weeks and post back in here with some (hopefully good!) news. With a bit of luck it was simply the cold I had that brought it back like this, but I'll start with practising the mudra, along with the dietary advice, and see how that goes. I'm not (yet...) familiar with any qi gong exercises (I'm a bit unsure about learning from books, though I do have a book with some exercises in it that I'm reading at the moment - Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity) so that might have to wait for a while.

Thanks again B)

Hey guys, sorry I didn't post back in here until now, I've been meaning to for a while...Anyway, the tinnitus has pretty much subsided now - I used the mudra that was mentioned for about 45 minutes a day for a few days and, along with Goji berries, it seemed to work pretty rapidly. I do think that it came back partly due the cold I had, so it definitely helped when that was all better as well. So, thanks SO much for the suggestions, I'm amazed by the knowledge of the people on this forum.

Peace.

Hey guys, sorry I didn't post back in here until now, I've been meaning to for a while...Anyway, the tinnitus has pretty much subsided now - I used the mudra that was mentioned for about 45 minutes a day for a few days and, along with Goji berries, it seemed to work pretty rapidly. I do think that it came back partly due the cold I had, so it definitely helped when that was all better as well. So, thanks SO much for the suggestions, I'm amazed by the knowledge of the people on this forum.

Peace.

Just remember anything that drains kidney essence will make it come back until you build up your reserves and can overcome anything that drains the essense... so it doesn't go below the thresh hold that gave you tinnitus. You can get a TCM formula which will bolster your kidney yin, i used to take one which bolstered kidney and liver yin and it slowly starts working. Goji berries do this too, but the formula has several herbs which work more strongly to do it faster. Keep eating the berrys or a formula for 3 months or so, dont' just stop now. You want it gone forever not just until you get the next cold. Keep doing the meditation, whatever one you like doesn't matter just keep doing it too and then your tinnitus wont' come back :)

Having had ear issues from swimming growing up I sorta figured out how to directly attenuate the signal, but for me the sword finger is a more effective mudra. Reminds me of ya mu saying you can't learn it if you haven't practiced it and you can't practice it without having learned it :lol: the idea is reduce the neutral firing resonance directly at the midbrain by initiating a no-mind protocol, point sword finger up and then move across the eyes from ear to ear. I don't know if it would work for anyone else, but that's something I figured out over the years. It works with most frequencies but the very higher pitch needs a slightly different focus.

My ears have been ringing for 40 years, high pitched. No medical problems Im aware of, but maybe there's a kidney issue I'm unaware of. I'm thinking it probably came from years on the shooting range.

I've just taken to living with it. I perceive it now as the audible life stream, the constant reminder of Who we really are. It actually fits in very well with a Here Now mindset, if you look at the audible ringing as the continuation of what came before and what comes after. I just finally embraced it.

High dose pine bark extract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20657537

Improvement in cochlear flow with Pycnogenol® in patients with tinnitus: a pilot evaluation.

Grossi MG, Belcaro G, Cesarone MR, Dugall M, Hosoi M, Cacchio M, Ippolito E, Bavera P.

Source

Irvine3 Labs, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Chieti-Pescara University, Pescara, Italy.

Abstract

AIM:

The aim of this preliminary evaluation was to study the efficacy of Pycnogenol in improving cochlear flow in patients with mild-to-moderate tinnitus present for at least two weeks (without vertigo or important hearing loss), possibly associated with cochlear hypo-perfusion.

METHODS:

Patients with mild-to-moderate, idiopatic, monolateral tinnitus present for at least 2 weeks were included; no vertigo or important hearing loss had been found in a specific examination. The origin of tinnitus had been sudden (hours or days). Fifty-eight patients used Pycnogenol: 24 used 150 mg/day (group A; mean age 43.2+/-4.3) and 34 patients 100 mg/day (group B: mean age 42.4+/-3.8). Controls included 24 patients (mean age 42.3+/-4.5). The groups were comparable for their clinical problem and age and sex. The average duration of treatment was 34.3+/-3.1 days. No side effects were observed and no drop-outs occurred.

RESULTS:

The variations in cochlear flow velocity (in cm/s at the cochlear artery), at inclusion and after four weeks of treatment indicated that flow velocity at the level of the affected ear was significantly lower (both the diastolic and systolic components; P<0.05) in comparison with the other ear. The treatment favored an improvement in systolic (P<0.05) and diastolic flow velocity (P<0.05) in the two treatment groups A+B. The increase in flow velocity was very limited and not significant in controls.

CONCLUSION:

These results suggest that in selected patients with tinnitus and altered perfusion, Pycnogenol is effective in a short period of time in relieving tinnitus symptoms by improving cochlear blood flow. The effect is more pronounced with higher Pycnogenol dosage. More studies should be planned to better evaluate the pathology and potential applications of Pycnogenol in a larger number of patients who are currently without a real therapeutic solution.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy