I don't think I can agree with you here. I don't get the impression that hippies and hipsters are the same thing at all. Hippies were about individualism, and having a cause and a purpose in life. Really breaking new ground and changing things. It was about the inner world and consciousness.

I don't really get what being a hipster is about in the end. Basically it's about conforming, keeping up with the crowd, and setting trends for the sake of trying to trend set. It also seems to be a way of eclectically taking things from past eras, other foreign cultures, and basically taming them and dumbing them down into a way that can fit their new styles.

The word hipster existed since before 1960 when Paul Goodman wrote Growing Up Absurd with a chapter about "hipsters." The book was popular with Beatnicks who then turned into hippies. The Beatnick "movement" eventually became popular in the mainstream and then they started calling them hippies because it was a hipster thing to "tune in, turn on, and drop out" at least from the perspective of the outsiders or early starters.

Also, important as the hippie movement was to bridging cultural appreciations, understanding, and cross-cultural communications, your last sentence describes the way it was done quite precisely.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

The word hipster existed since before 1960 when Paul Goodman wrote Growing Up Absurd with a chapter about "hipsters." The book was popular with Beatnicks who then turned into hippies. The Beatnick "movement" eventually became popular in the mainstream and then they started calling them hippies because it was a hipster thing to "tune in, turn on, and drop out" at least from the perspective of the outsiders or early starters.

Also, important as the hippie movement was to bridging cultural appreciations, understanding, and cross-cultural communications, your last sentence describes the way it was done quite precisely.

You are mixing up the hipters from the Beatnick period in history, and the hipsters of today. They aren't the same thing, and only share the same name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29

Hipster culture has been described as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior."[2] Christian Lorentzen of Time Out New York argues that "hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of the postwar era—beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity," and "regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity."[3] Others, like Arsel and Thompson, argue that hipster signifies a cultural mythology, a crystallization of a mass-mediated stereotype generated to understand, categorize, and marketize indie consumer culture, rather than an objectified group of people.[4]

Hippies had a purpose and meaning, they had authenticity, hipster is just a fad. Basically the people who used to be emos 5 years ago, became hipsters. They will probably become something else in the future if they don't die out. I mean, hippies still exist today. I highly doubt hipsters will be around in even 10 years from now.

However, while the 60s were clearly defined by hippies, I don't think hipsters define today at all. I barely notice them or really understand them.

Edited by Immortal4life

This is what I know-

One minute, you're saying things should have purpose and meaning...and the next you're talking about how Girls Gone Wild, 80s hair metal, WWE, "Get rich or die trying", pimpin hoes, etc are all awesome and indicative of the best time period...

I guess I can relate a little bit to fun things being...well...fun. But not to anything else.

For instance, the movie the Wrestler is about a guy who can't help failing at life due to not being able to adapt...but in the next sentence you're talking about how other people are "losers"? And the way you said some of those things, like 50 cent's movie was "clearly the peak of the world"...it's just hilarious. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or for real. "Clearly"? :lol:

I don't mean to imply that you have bad taste or something. I like some of the things you like...it's just very interesting to find people with such strong opinions that are so different from what I'm used to. Great part of having a worldwide forum like this.

By the way:

90'S FOREVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cudtwv-sAfs

Edited by Scotty

You are mixing up the hipters from the Beatnick period in history, and the hipsters of today. They aren't the same thing, and only share the same name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29

Your quotation is pretty much identical to the definition that Paul Goodman gave to hipsters of the Beatnick culture, and the same thing happened with Hippies when a bunch of kids moved to San Francisco to join "the scene." It was a much more groundbreaking scene than today, but the impulse that made it take over is nothing new than the hipster impulse that your denouncing. In fact, it's a bit of a hipster thing to denounce hipsters now too, just like it was a hipster thing to be a white trash moron in 50s Alabama (not to equate you with one, btw..), and its a hipster thing to do Yoga today. There would be no generational analysis' possible if not for hipsterism!

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

OK you old people you, let me tell you what a modern hipster is like

A phrase that identifies hipsters today is "I liked it before it was cool"

They like weird stuff no one else likes and stay away from the popular norm

They strife to be individual and out of the ordinary so much that they just become weird looking and stand out in that way

They like old stuff that no one else likes anymore and new stuff no one hears about

Their own nature to like unknown stuff makes the unknown stuff become known and they don't like it anymore because, in case it's a band, the band becomes a sellout and they move onto a new thing

They keep moving and changing and become a giant monstrous mess of interests that's hard to keep up with

Their interest is close to arts and making said arts

They go to arts school and make music

They dress like your grandpa would and wear huge glasses even when they have perfect vision, some of them don't have perfect vision because they sit all day on the facebook OR they are so cool that they sit all day on myspace, remember that thing? :lol:

Hipsters are not the pop culture and pop culture does not interest them because they are anti pop culture

They stand out and become big because they are in a club that other kids are not in and everyone who's not in wants to be part of the group

Oh, and they like coffee

OK you old people you, let me tell you what a modern hipster is like

I think this is a very accurate description, however, it is also a perfect description of everyone in the late 90s getting into grunge. The more obscure, the more avant garde, the cooler. "I listened to Nirvana before Nevermind came out" was the status symbol. At the same time, people would listen to grunge, hip hop, classic rock, and heavy metal all on the same mix tape.

In the 60's people would listen to Coltrane, Ravi Shankar, Jimi Hendrix, Muddy Waters, Woodie Guthrie, etc. etc., and there is nothing wrong with having diverse tastes.

The issue here is just about people who are content with the popular tastes and don't go searching or come up with their own. However, this, again, is nothing new whatsoever.

You're missing the point, that people from different generations have very different motivations for things that seem similar on the surface, but underneath are not.

I honestly don't think Hipsters could even lace up the Hippies boots when it comes to purpose, heart, intestinal fortitude, meaning, doing what you actually want and not doing it to follow the crowd, and making a difference.

Hippies were meaningful, Hipsters are meaningless.

Although......I don't really get hipsters....and I call them Emos.

Edited by Immortal4life

how comfortable with and accepting they are of inter-racial and gay marriage, how so many of them love tattoos, their civic mindedness, how unified they are politically, and their Liberalism.
Church & state should be separated and marriage should just be equally ended as a legal institution for ALL. If people want to get "married" in any type of religious or other sense - fine. But, it should have NO legal bearing.

And yes, each generation actually keeps getting more psychologically homogenized, as all their Old World root cultures get left behind. That's why their modern groupthink political views are so predictably similar - just as spoonfed to them by their mass media/school indoctrination. While diverse looks are PC, diverse views from the gov-approved "norm" are NOT. These must be forced to become increasingly lockstep & uniform with the Fed.

And their new common cultural references - are all fictional pop culture. They define themselves by their consumer (not DIY producer) habits - like what shows they watch, what music they listen to and what products they loyally buy. Their cultural heroes...are literally CGI comic book heroes! IOW, none of their culture is authentic or real.

It's sad, but this generation is being raised in a whole 'nother artificial matrix within a matrix...

They are like self-branding chattel who have been trained to give up their identities for a future Mark of the Beast... :lol:

cHEQa.jpg

Mooo...!

• Like 2

Huh? No one is going to bring this up?

Awrite, more writing time

Maybe all these kids are the same from the previous generations because they're all teenagers or something

But there's something around now that makes a huge difference and creates a new subculture that could never exist any time before in history

It's kinda hard to understand for older people and these who weren't around or paying attention while these things were happening, and so all you can say about kids these days is that they are a little tech savvy but they are actually too smart for their own good

Internet makes a big difference since kids these days have access to almost anything they want through internet and so they can choose to become smarter then other kids or give up and just be part of the system and look for cheap thrills

These who just go with the flow look for things to do online for fun and sit on facebooks, play games, and watch movies. These are the types discussed so far in this thread.

There are also people who at a young age look for ways for the first group to be able to enjoy these games, movies, and music.

They add a new dimension to the internet everyone knows about and instead of fun paradise it becomes a sure death experience.

There is this anonymity thing that could be classified as this generation's thing, even though it started happening almost from the internet's creation, it became a big deal around 2000s and since then the news wanted to know what is going on around these 4chans and stuff.

Years ago, I think in the 80s I don't really remember, there was this guy who while in college invented a way for secret websites to exist. He made this program that let's you access websites that won't be reachable unless you have the program. These websites are mostly full of super mega ultra illegal things and you can imagine what might happen to the person who runs the site if he gets caught, and I'm not just talking about downloadable movies and music, brrrr!

The internet run on these people and they're kinda mean :lol:

They might do some scary stuff and hurt people but that happens only because they can and they can't do that stuff to people who are also anonymous, not because they are being nice only to these people but because it's impossible to reach them.

There might be a thousand people who stay anonymous and it might look like they stand together but they don't even know if there is someone else out there or if they think the same, so when something happens on the internet there will be a thousand different responses.

The best way to protect yourself is to join them and become anonymous. It's not a club, you just have to remove your presence from the internet. Originally there is barely any of it online, but there is facebook and urge for people to be seen online. Use a nickname and don't repeat it in more then once anywhere online. Don't use your name and stay out of trouble, if you get in trouble the "internet police" will destroy you.

There is no way to talk to them and there is no way to know who did what. The only thing they do is express themselves and their opinions online anonymously. They are not looked at as individuals but as a group. Individual actions might be numerous or just one small thing. There's no way of knowing who from the people you meet might be one of them or they might have done something in that nature without knowing.

Their culture is becoming more and more public but from my point of view it's slowly disappearing and getting replaced by clueless people who just discovered it. I say that now, but I remember the same thing being said when I first discovered it myself and that's kinda funny :lol:

• Like 3

Absolutely Sinfest, it is a double edged sword. I do believe technolgy can make people smarter....or stupider, depending on how they use it. I am going to be examining this issue further for sure.

Huh? No one is going to bring this up?

...But there's something around now that makes a huge difference and creates a new subculture that could never exist any time before in history

Internet makes a big difference ... access to almost anything ... they can choose to become smarter then other kids or give up and just be part of the system and look for cheap thrills

Their culture is becoming more and more public but from my point of view it's slowly disappearing and getting replaced by clueless people who just discovered it. I say that now, but I remember the same thing being said when I first discovered it myself and that's kinda funny :lol:

*BANG*

HEADSHOT!

hahahah WHUU!!!

FUCK THE SYSTEM!

M Gen Represent MuthaFucker!

Peace

.... getting carried away....

sorry :blush:

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

IMO the old structures for relating to one another, and the world in general, are breaking down ,and have been for a few "generations".

They are being replaced by new structures though, and so the reasonable conclusion about it would be ,that as long as the basic needs are still existant ,,they will be met ,something around as well as ,or poorly as, they ever were.

To me it looks like relationships are becoming less intimate, more transient. It looks like data gathering has become so specific that the broader view is not being seen.

But whether lots of loose undemanding relationships is actually more or less prone to craziness,, I don't know.

And whether broad understanding is even valuble in such a data specific society ,, I dont know that either.

I look at the interactions of folks even here at this forum, and there looks like relatively little sustained conversation between pairs of individuals. Folks seem to post "out to the general airwaves" or there is unresolved disagreement which just sort-of 'peters out' into forgotten threads.

Anyway , that is just the way it looks to me, but I dont know if that is for the better or worse,(or if it is even true.)

Just my two cents, which I too, toss out to the general airwaves.

So be it.

Stosh