The Millennials are coming. No one can deny the Millennial presence was strongly felt in the 2008 U.S. election. Here are some good resources explaining their traits. Their conformity, obsession to fit in with everyone else, inability to go against the group, inability to find their own path in life, their proficiency with and reliance on technology, expressiveness, narcissism, their extremely high unemployment rate, their inability to take criticism, their need of constant praise, optimism and belief in themselves regardless of reality, their conventionality, why they have ideas like achieving consensus is more important than your own personal beliefs, how racially diverse they are, how comfortable with and accepting they are of inter-racial and gay marriage, how so many of them love tattoos, their civic mindedness, how unified they are politically, and their Liberalism.

Their core traits are that they believe they are special, and they are sheltered, confident, team oriented, conventional, pressured, and achieving.

Neil Howe-

Neil Howe on 60 minutes-

CBS 60 Minutes on Millennials-
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3486473n

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4126233n

PBS research-
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/social_issues/jan-june10/millenials_02-24.html Edited by Immortal4life

The 80s were awesome. I blame the period of about 1992 to 1997. Everything in popular culture turned either really lame, sentimental, little kid-ish, family oriented, and chode-ish, or it became really dark, cynical, creepy, and depressing. There really was nothing cool. Around 1998 everything started to get a lot better, and things moved away from cynical apathy and anger, to more of a go crazy and have fun attitude. Eminem came up, Hip Hop exploded, shock tv like Jerry Springer got popular, The WWE ushered in it's "Attitude" era where they included a lot more violence and sex, reality tv exploded, you started seeing things like "girls gone wild" all over tv, and generally everything got fun again. There is no doubt the greatest period ever in history, as far as popular culture goes, and good times, was the period from 1998 to 2008, it was all bling bling and good times, pimps up hoes down, and I do whatever I want. Even the internet was like the wild west, or unexplored frontier. Pure freedom. The movie "Get Rich or Die Trying" starring 50 Cent was clearly the peak of the world. Since 2008 we have been on a downward spiral in my opinion and there is a lot more chode media out there that is clearly targeted at people who are pussies.

Edited by Immortal4life

Let's see

We had only around seven channels that could be accessed to by an antenna and most of the time they were news, soapy dramas, and old soviet cartoons. Now and then they would show some American cartoons like Spiderman(SPIDER BLOOD SPIDER BLOOD RADIOACTIVE SPIDER BLOOD) and Kim Possible who I grew to hate very fast cuz of repetition and no new episodes(when I moved here they had some new episodes but by then I already wanted to murder everyone in the show)

In the fourth grade we got cable and a lot more channels, three of them cartoon ones: Nickelodeon(rus), Cartoon Network(eng) and Fox Kids(rus). Learned English thanks to Cartoon Network.

I liked Hallmark channel with its movies and Discovery channel with it's specials that they don't do anymore, I can't find the movies I used to like on Hallmark either MERLIN WAS AWESOME BTW!!!

With cable I got access to better music including Eminem but I gave up on rap after hearing(and seeing)

. We had few music channels like European MTV and Russian MTV, later changed to MUZtv. Thanks to MTV I got into stuff like Jackass and Viva la Bam. I remember talking about Wild Boyz episode with this girl my friend liked and he was listening to us talking about this cannibal drinking pee out of a human skull, fun stuff. Haven't found out how great MTV was until I looked it up :lol:

Pressure in school changed drastically when I moved to Canada. Back IN DA OLD COUNTRY everyone had a feeling that teachers would kill us if we do something wrong and would yell at us, I miss that :lol:

In here everyone was very wimpy and I felt like I didn't need to do anything. I wasn't all that great with school but my math was already many steps ahead of the local stuff, I remember I made it through a grade by only doing class work and not doing any homework at all. IN DA OLD COUNTRY they would give up pages of math stuff and even tests would be as long as that, but here it's all meeeeeeeh.

Even teachers are all friendly friendly, my old math teacher would yell at as and if we didn't listen he would grab us by the collar and throw(literally) out of the classroom. I remember hearing about a fight a teacher had with a senior, none of that here :lol:

I could give my Canadian school some slack, I heard it used to be a place where many gangs used to hang out, they already dealt with all that but they still have a reputation even though it has been years since then

HARDCORE FRIENDLY even tho so many classmates wore mohawks

Edited by Sinfest

I also should mention that I moved to Canada at the start of High School and only then I finally had an access to Internet

GOOD TIMES

I take ya to tha candy shop, I let ya lick the lollipop, come on girl dont you stop, keep going to ya hit the spot

B)

Every rap album has to have a few awesome songs like that, sexual songs.

Edited by Immortal4life

When I heard it I was just

ktnxbye

Now I lire more RAWKISH stuff

Most of my time in High school was ignoring everyone and thinking how to punch them without them noticing me

RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAGE

and what's up with everyone having more PS1 games then me, and why does European PS1 only play black CDs I can't even trade with anyone

AND WHERE DO THEY WATCH THESE POKEMON EPISODES I knew so much about pokemon but I saw the show only when I got sick and could watch TV during the school time, I never even played any of these games back then FFFFFFFF

AND WHY IS EVERYONE SO STUPIIIID dude walks up to me like,

Yo I heard you are playa tell me what to do, so I saw mah chick talking to this dude and I told him to step off and now she mad at me WHAT DO

I tell him, tell her you're sorry you idiot

AND HE TYPES "SAY SORRY, IDIOT" ON HIS CELL PHONE TO HER

RAGE GENERATION FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Edited by Sinfest

Stop thinking you have to have as many Playstation games as everyone else. Stop trying to keep up with everyone else or your peers. Stop being obsessed with what everyone thinks. Don't worry about random idiots asking questions to get answers for their friends lmao.

More about Millennials, seems to me the later ones are weaker, some call them post 88 millennials.

Edited by Immortal4life

The 80s were awesome. I blame the period of about 1992 to 1997. Everything in popular culture turned either really lame, sentimental, little kid-ish, family oriented, and chode-ish, or it became really dark, cynical, creepy, and depressing. There really was nothing cool. Around 1998 everything started to get a lot better, and things moved away from cynical apathy and anger, to more of a go crazy and have fun attitude. Eminem came up, Hip Hop exploded, shock tv like Jerry Springer got popular, The WWE ushered in it's "Attitude" era where they included a lot more violence and sex, reality tv exploded, you started seeing things like "girls gone wild" all over tv, and generally everything got fun again. There is no doubt the greatest period ever in history, as far as popular culture goes, and good times, was the period from 1998 to 2008, it was all bling bling and good times, pimps up hoes down, and I do whatever I want. Even the internet was like the wild west, or unexplored frontier. Pure freedom. The movie "Get Rich or Die Trying" starring 50 Cent was clearly the peak of the world. Since 2008 we have been on a downward spiral in my opinion and there is a lot more chode media out there that is clearly targeted at people who are pussies.

That was the craziest thing I've ever read on this forum. :lol:

• Like 1

The decisive factor in electing Obama-

Back in 2008, here are the researchers who predicted there was no way Obama would lose. Millennials are expected to be the most politically powerful generation for decades to come

Millennials identify with the Democratic party over Republican by a more than 2 to 1 margin. I've heard estimates that they are 75% Democratic vs. 25% Republican. The word Liberal, will very soon not be a dirty word in America.

Edited by Immortal4life

THAT'S RIGHT!!! I should punch them, PUNCHING MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER!!!

As the saying goes, "A punch in the face then a bird in the bush"

Their conformity, obsession to fit in with everyone else, inability to go against the group, inability to find their own path in life, their proficiency with and reliance on technology, expressiveness, narcissism, their extremely high unemployment rate, their inability to take criticism, their need of constant praise, optimism and belief in themselves regardless of reality, their conventionality, why they have ideas like achieving consensus is more important than your own personal beliefs, how racially diverse they are, how comfortable with and accepting they are of inter-racial and gay marriage, how so many of them love tattoos, their civic mindedness, how unified they are politically, and their Liberalism.

Their core traits are that they believe they are special, and they are sheltered, confident, team oriented, conventional, pressured, and achieving.

How could you even type that without realizing that describes every generation of 14 to early 20 somethings since the dawn of leaders and followers. What generation of 40 or 50 somethings has not said exactly this about the young generations?

The only difference may be of the tattoos, inter-racial and gay marriages, but why would anyone care about who people choose to hook up with unless they themselves are sadly self-limiting by fears of non-conformity?

How could you even type that without realizing that describes every generation of 14 to early 20 somethings since the dawn of leaders and followers. What generation of 40 or 50 somethings has not said exactly this about the young generations?

The only difference may be of the tattoos, inter-racial and gay marriages, but why would anyone care about who people choose to hook up with unless they themselves are sadly self-limiting by fears of non-conformity?

No one said these things about Gen X or Baby Boomers. They were viewed quite differently. Generation X were apathetic, disinterested, cynical, individualist, losers.

Look at this magazine cover from 1990. All the young people are facing away from each other. Alienated, distrusting, not very warm. They were independent, not obsessed with conforming. They were out for number one.

1101900716_400.jpg

Millennials are team players, group oriented, and obsessed with conformity and keeping up with their peers. Even the guy in this pic without a chick on him is being made to feel comfortable and fit in. Millennials like to blow smoke up each others ass. They want to fit in, not be loners-

Screen-shot-2011-09-23-at-2.49.59-AM.png

Here is also what you are not getting about Millennials. To conform is to support gay marriage. To not support it would be unthinkable, because it goes against the group think.

Edited by Immortal4life
  • Like 1

The coming Millennials Makeover in politics-

Why Millennials will become far more powerful and achieving than Boomers could ever dream to be-

Millenials vs. Boomers-

So What happens to American Politics?-

Millennials voting in record numbers-

Edited by Immortal4life

Here is also what you are not getting about Millennials. To conform is to support gay marriage. To not support it would be unthinkable, because it goes against the group think.

Speaking as a Millenial myself, I have to agree, group think places a very large part when it comes to the above. I'm all for acceptance of LGBT couples, but on the other hand, I think support for gay marriage is often more emotion driven than it is based on whether people would actually gain pragmatic benefit from such arragements. If anything it would make the lives of many worse once they end up in divorce court just like heterosexuals have been doing for the past five decades. :P Then again, since I was born in 1981, right near the edge of Generation X, perhaps some of their cyncism has rubbed off on me. ;)

I agree too that those born post-1988 are quite different from those between 1980-1987.

I agree too that those born post-1988 are quite different from those between 1980-1987.

I saw something on tv recently, some news program or something, with a reporter talking to high school teens. The reporter asked something about their generation compared to older generations, and the teens thought she was talking about people who were in high school in the 2000s. They called them the "baggy pants generation" and called themselves the "tight pants generation". Although technically according to historians the baggy jeans generation and tight jeans generation are the same generation.

Really, it just sounds like a lot of the same old finger pointing.. "those kids are just stupid and when they grow up like me they'll know what it's really all about." I think if these traits are more apparent in this generation, they can be seen everywhere at this time in all generations, as an effect of a higher degree of collective effort on the whole due to things like global warming, bank scandals, the internet, and the efforts to rally people on these things. There will naturally be a higher level of "not making waves" when there seems to be a positive progression for good causes no matter where it happens.

Look at the "hippie" movement. Being called a hippie is the same as being called a hipster, it just means you're doing things because it's a trend. But who points that finger? The people that are seeing things change because of this trend and are uncomfortable with it.

No matter what generation, if you go out on a Friday or Saturday night, you will see a lot of people conforming to the popular trend, 80s, 90s, 50s, 70s. If there is a higher level of cooperation I'd say that is valuable. Look at the internet, look at University courses, people are always taught to question and be critical. On the negative side, no generation has ever escaped the massive influence of their peers.

And if people feel pressure to look down on racism, sexism, and homophobia.. GOOD, damn good! I hope the pressure gets stronger and eventually turns against everyone that tries to stop people from harmlessly living their lives the way they want to just because it goes against their stale and worthless personal belief system. Maybe one day we'll transcend all the subtle religious prejudice, hating people for doing thing differently.. If the inertia of the group think is moving in this way then this is a success of the new generations.

There will always be a percentage of people that follow the herd, usually the larger percentage, especially in younger people who are changing their work and social environments every 5 years or so. That will never ever ever change so long as we are still talking about homo-sapiens.

Look at the "hippie" movement. Being called a hippie is the same as being called a hipster, it just means you're doing things because it's a trend. But who points that finger? The people that are seeing things change because of this trend and are uncomfortable with it.

I don't think I can agree with you here. I don't get the impression that hippies and hipsters are the same thing at all. Hippies were about individualism, and having a cause and a purpose in life. Really breaking new ground and changing things. It was about the inner world and consciousness.

I don't really get what being a hipster is about in the end. Basically it's about conforming, keeping up with the crowd, and setting trends for the sake of trying to trend set. It also seems to be a way of eclectically taking things from past eras, other foreign cultures, and basically taming them and dumbing them down into a way that can fit their new styles.