Protector

Meat eating thread

That mind of yours is one that I would prefer to not risk in the hazards of the battlefield, if it can be helped.

I never lost a man in battle. (Yes, I served in Vietnam.)

Even though I was Army I respect the Marine code of never leaving anyone behind. Everyone retruns after the mission has been accomplisned. (Yes, sad but true, some might not be alive upon returning.)

In the above case, all will survive or all will die. No one is of more value than another.

• Like 1

An interesting mental puzzle:

You are on a space station, where an accident has occurred. The computers are down, the food supply lost or contaminated, and only a small pod with it's life-support systems remain. This is where the survivors of the catastrophe have gathered, each with only the clothes they were wearing in their posession. Among the survivors is a botanist, who has just discovered the cure for a disease that kills hundreds of thousands each year, a priest who has had an insight that will lead to the enlightenment of everyone, and a career military officer (that is you).

Aid from earth, sixty days away. Knowing that this is long enough for most to die from starvation, Logic dictates that one of the survivors will have to die in order for the remaining two to have enough food to survive until the rescue arrives.

What do you do?

Well i happen to have a little inkling about preservation and breathing awareness meditation... i say we'd have to consider a few points first:

One is the botanist who is here with nothing but the clothes on their back... why no edible plants? FEH... i'd give them an ear full and move on to "enlightenment".

TWO!

The priest can enlighten everyone to be OKAY with death and let natural selection determine the survivors here.

and three, my personal contribution. im the military guy in this scenario, at the very least, i should be carrying my day pack, and it should have at LEASt a day or two's worth of rations so..... that should be enough for everyone until relief arrives.

The solution is presented within the problem.

Edit: okay in all fairness, i dont know how many survivors there are. iwas thinking maybe 4 or 5? 2 days of food *could* last "60" days, but the last 2 weeks would be in starvation, so water is truly the most precious commodity, and that wouldnt last long enough foreveryoen to live without drinking urine at one point on this 60 day cultivation hike!

So to be FAIR, i think while i want to preserve every life, it would probbly come down to drawing straws.

I would pursue the priest and botanist for everything i could get out of them to help us all, but in the end, i think someone would have to be saccrificed, and i'd be first in line for the offer.

Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend
  • Like 2

An interesting mental puzzle:

You are on a space station, where an accident has occurred. The computers are down, the food supply lost or contaminated, and only a small pod with it's life-support systems remain. This is where the survivors of the catastrophe have gathered, each with only the clothes they were wearing in their posession. Among the survivors is a botanist, who has just discovered the cure for a disease that kills hundreds of thousands each year, a priest who has had an insight that will lead to the enlightenment of everyone, and a career military officer (that is you).

Aid from earth, sixty days away. Knowing that this is long enough for most to die from starvation, Logic dictates that one of the survivors will have to die in order for the remaining two to have enough food to survive until the rescue arrives.

What do you do?

Too good to be true, eat them both, these bastards :lol:

In true taoist fashion I would eat both of them, and if what they worked for was truly important, they would teach it to me as I rip them apart

GmP gets a check for 135 pounds and a bus ticket home, with thanks,

Sinfest, if you will follow those two gentlemen in the white coats, they will fit you for your own very special jacket,

HNJT :Intelligence, resourcefulness, and willingness to make the sacrifice. All good officer qualities. You may have my chair!

I don't know what to make of the idea that we choose what kind of life experiences we will have before we are born. If that is so, then the animals that wind up being slaughtered for food would have chosen that life. Thinking about the possibility of giving up my own life so that others might live, I feel a certain sense of respect and appreciation for those beings that, by choice or not, make such a sacrifice.

Edited by ShenLung
  • Like 2

If we won't get eaten then we would slowly get poisoned by oxygen, wrinkle, and die from that. We're not just destined to get eaten but get crashed by rocks, drown in water, and fall from somewhere high. Even our food hurts us, the cleanest normal kind. Plant foods don't have all the components we need and some have too much. Some chemicals that can kill us would take hundreds of years to kills us, they would just slowly stick somewhere inside our bodies and eventually kill. Too much of anything can do that, there's even water poisoning. Everything is meant to kill us, we just don't know of all the horrors thanks to the old age. Some more stressful foods are good for health because they build some resistance. Everything is going to kill us then we will fall to pieces and these pieces will be collected as materials for other things. Everyone is expecting that but, some just don't like to wait for that to happen.

If we won't get eaten then we would slowly get poisoned by oxygen, wrinkle, and die from that. We're not just destined to get eaten but get crashed by rocks, drown in water, and fall from somewhere high. Even our food hurts us, the cleanest normal kind. Plant foods don't have all the components we need and some have too much. Some chemicals that can kill us would take hundreds of years to kills us, they would just slowly stick somewhere inside our bodies and eventually kill. Too much of anything can do that, there's even water poisoning. Everything is meant to kill us, we just don't know of all the horrors thanks to the old age. Some more stressful foods are good for health because they build some resistance. Everything is going to kill us then we will fall to pieces and these pieces will be collected as materials for other things. Everyone is expecting that but, some just don't like to wait for that to happen.

Putting it that way, it sounds like the cows have the better deal

That cheque for £135 hasn't arrived yet.

I trust that it is 'in the post' .

Milk cows have a nice enough deal, it's their male calfs whose life expectancy leaves something to be desired.

Crated pigs too, lambs also plus broiler chicks and don't get me started on veal!

Bit of a poor deal is being both sentient and edible.

Now I'm a great believer in both karma and reincarnation, were I to be a meat eater I'd maybe have to consider the potential future consequences of biting into that piece of meat.

What goes round comes round.

• Like 2

Post is incredibly slow this time of year, probably from all of the re-gifted year old fruitcakes making the rounds.

It seems that being alive at all also goes hand in hand with being on the menu for someone. The chickens eat the worms, we eat the chickens, and it's a fair wager the worms will have their day, as well.

• Like 1

Humans compared to chickens and worms... I suppose that is a fair assessment in many cases.

I believe humans to be capable of much more however.

/ I hope

hahah

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 2

HNJT :Intelligence, resourcefulness, and willingness to make the sacrifice. All good officer qualities. You may have my chair!

I don't know what to make of the idea that we choose what kind of life experiences we will have before we are born. If that is so, then the animals that wind up being slaughtered for food would have chosen that life. Thinking about the possibility of giving up my own life so that others might live, I feel a certain sense of respect and appreciation for those beings that, by choice or not, make such a sacrifice.

Consider the segrigation of the mind-objects that we would forget once born what paramaters we chose for that life.

Edit:

Also, on my previosu response, mind you, if there's a total asshole in the group who argues with me, i'll let him have his way, do things like he wants, run amok, but only till he shits on everyone. then he's going to be eaten for sure.

Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend
  • Like 1

Why keep the military man? That's who I thought to get rid of first, because they don't really provide anything useful to the world, like the other two.

Why keep the military man? That's who I thought to get rid of first, because they don't really provide anything useful to the world, like the other two.

What? It is the military man who keeps the other two from killing each other.

• Like 1

That's a double sided sword; individuals, opinions, conflicting ideals, existing in all categories of persons; military, politician, medical, laborer, it makes no difference. "they" have successfully pitted us all against each other, segregated our goals, and distracted us from everything that matters with catch phrases, memes, and the sensationalization of everything that is meaningless, which we unwittingly put at the top of our lists and turn around and blame each other. We're idiots.

• Like 2

That's a double sided sword; individuals, opinions, conflicting ideals, existing in all categories of persons; military, politician, medical, laborer, it makes no difference. "they" have successfully pitted us all against each other, segregated our goals, and distracted us from everything that matters with catch phrases, memes, and the sensationalization of everything that is meaningless, which we unwittingly put at the top of our lists and turn around and blame each other. We're idiots.

Now you are viewing the full picture.

Where's that anarchy thread?

I'll give you military officers, total waste of space most officers are. The sergeants mess runs the British Army, always has done. You'll never get by without soldiers though or only just as long as it takes for the country that still has some soldiers to invade and take over your soldier-less part of the world.

Peace is maintained by large numbers of chunky well armed and well trained working class lads hence there has always been far more peace than ever there has been wars going on.

Trick is to choose your battlefields as far away from home as possible to save domestic mess.