Protector

Meat eating thread

The very idea of "sport" when it comes to killing is very wrong. I know bird hunters won't shoot an animal on the ground. It has to be flying, or it's not very "sporting" of you. Well, would you step on a twig to alarm the deer of your presence, and let it get a running start before shooting it? Is that the "sporting" way to do it? If I bird hunted, I'd just shoot them. Because I'm hunting for food, not sport.

People got all in a tizzie around here about the buffalo hunting. "Oh, it's so unfair, you can just walk up to them and shoot them in the head without them even running, that's not very sportsman like". Seriously? If you're hunting for meat, why would this sort of thing bother you at all?

Then there's fishing...I'm fine with what other people want to do, but the whole "catch and release" thing that all the trout fly fisherman sermonize about out here...is it really so humane to go out, and for fun pull a hook through an animals mouth, pull it out of the water, take a photo then throw it back in? :)

Nah. If I were to fish, I'd eat the fish. There's no "fun" for me in hauling something out of the water by a hook through its mouth. But I have a LOT of friends who do, and that's fine.

I agree, it's all about respecting life, whether you're raising an animal for food, or hunting a wild one.

• Like 1

If meat eating was that good for you we'd maybe be dodging Tyrannosaurus Rex and his mates yet.

Isn't there a veganism thread you can go to? :P

Does anyone have any advice for gaining weight but not eating crap? Right now i am trying adding more fat to my diet, like a lot of fat even though i know it is supposed to be not so good for me, but i am seeing barely any results if any.

Lifting weights (like in StrongLifts 5x5) will help you gain weight to a healthy level. This is the main thing for an underweight person.

Adding fat doesn't make you fat...adding sugar and eating more often might. Some types of fat are actually really good for you, such as those in fish or flax seed.

All you need to do to gain weight is eat more caloriers than you epend. Eat 4-5 meals a day like its your job. May feel kinda bloated at first but your digestion will catch up, especially if you are working out. Also don't go crazy at the gym, 1-3 good workouts a week and plenty of rest.

You can continue to eat well and gain weight. Try more brown rice, sweet potato, avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs... good quality yogurt and maybe milk if your digestion can handle it (that is if you eat dairy).

Does anyone have any advice for gaining weight but not eating crap? Right now i am trying adding more fat to my diet, like a lot of fat even though i know it is supposed to be not so good for me, but i am seeing barely any results if any.

Whey protein does wonders if you are working on building up muscle mass. You still have to do the excercise, though :)

All you need to do to gain weight is eat more caloriers than you epend. Eat 4-5 meals a day like its your job. May feel kinda bloated at first but your digestion will catch up, especially if you are working out. Also don't go crazy at the gym, 1-3 good workouts a week and plenty of rest.

You can continue to eat well and gain weight. Try more brown rice, sweet potato, avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs... good quality yogurt and maybe milk if your digestion can handle it (that is if you eat dairy).

i eat all of those things, and i only do chikung or kunlun. i go on 3 small walks a day but other than that i am fairly sedentary :/ i don't like lifting weights either, they hurt.

i don't like lifting weights either, they hurt.

That gave me a belly laugh. I say the same freakin' thing every time I start a period of lifting weights.

A trick I found is to start with weights that are about 25% below my current capacity. Work out every other day. The first two weeks are a Mother. And it hurts! The fat is burning off and the muscles are stretching. Week three becomes easier. That is when I increase the weight of the bars I am using. I then continue building until I am where I want to be and stop until the next time.

Then the same freakin' pain all over again. But it works for me.

Do you press MH?

Yes. I do full upper body exercises when I work out. My lower body has problems so that part of me just manages to mope along. I do try to maintain my lower body flexibility though but that involves different types of exercises.

i never saw any gains lifting weights for over a month and eating meat everyday. i got a little bit then i just stayed at that gain level. i really don't like to push myself until it hurts, but some people say that's the only way. i have heard though that if you are gaining muscle its because you are tearing them and the gains have a lot of scar tissue. does anyone know anything about this? i just read it somewhere once

There are different types of weight training programs. Some will build lean muscle, and bring weight gain. Some will not. I mentioned a program to you that would cause you to get to a healthy weight over 3 months (and of course you're supposed to keep doing it). Eating meat will probably not cause you to gain weight...you will just be healthy if you eat it in moderation. Sugar is more likely to cause weight gain. Excess calories and eating more often throughout the day will cause weight gain, as well.

Bodybuilders like to tear the muscle and get the swollen look. Powerlifters focus on lifting heavier, primarily, rather than breaking down fibers (in the biceps for instance, which is pointless). Lifting heavy with good form is the way you want to go.

i have heard though that if you are gaining muscle its because you are tearing them and the gains have a lot of scar tissue. does anyone know anything about this? i just read it somewhere once

It is my understanding that this happens with the muscle monkeys but not with the average person who exercises with weights. Like I said, if you start easy you avoid any harm to the muscles but you will burn off the fat from the muscles and there will be a little pain from that for the first two or three weeks but after that I will promise you that you will feel great after each session of exercising. The key is to not over-do it. That's Taoist philosophy.

• Like 1

Use only 70% effort is a good motto, funny really, I know that's a mantra in cultivation but it's also what they recommend at Mrs GMPs gym.

Those hulking great Muscle Marys who weight train and eat steroids and such are a right mess.

Apparently their 'one eyed trouser weasels' shrink to the size of a button mushroom.

perhaps i will try if i can find something heavy, perhaps my dog...

Mrs GMPs fruit cakes. One of those puppies could put weight on a yarrow stalk.

I've only been on holiday four days so far and I'm already 2 pounds heavier than I was last Tuesday.

No more fruit cake and mince pie suppers until Tuesday next!

You can 'trick' yourself into a good weightlifting and physical excercise routine by finding something to do that includes the physical exertion. Rock climbing falls into this category, or taking up a job that will require heavy lifting, like landscaping. Good excercise, and the creation aspect is very rewarding as well.

• Like 1

This thread has provided some interesting perspectives on meat eating perhaps there is more merit to it than my closed mind thought.

Or perhaps I only crave meat when I fast...second day...never been so peaceful though.

A question on weightlifting Im hearing its good to build body strength for qigong.I feel I am losing some due to thinking its bad for energy flow..is this true? Perhaps swimming, zhuang zhang etc is good, but anytime I do do weights for a few weeks my strength explodes due to energy work, I remember the few times I have tried weights (used to do a lot I mean in the past year) my results were phenomenal dumbbell bench press went up like 10kg on each dumbbell..

Lifting is great for your energy flow, such as the typical barbell lifts. It will only improve your qigong.

On the other hand, bodybuilding, where you tear your muscles, where they get all bulky and tight, where your body ends up sore and exhausted, where you isolate useless muscles such as the biceps...not good.

Lifting is great for your energy flow, such as the typical barbell lifts. It will only improve your qigong.

This is interesting why is this?