Tom Lin

Vegetarianism

Lol, to be fair, it was his crack at a juvenile response. I wouldn't take it seriously. Plus Sinfest is a guy, even with all the pony stuff.... :D

Sounds great !

I know eating out can be an issue, but you soon work out where is good, and where is bad. Here in England, it can swing from impossible, to spoilt for choice. There are amazing vegan restaurants in the USA, Green in Scottsdale AZ springs to mind. Always packed because the food is so good, even to non vegans. But I know of great vegan restaurants in London, Paris, Madrid, Berlin.........its always worth the search.

I love food. But if I ever went back to eating meat, I'd feel I was missing out on something so good !

That won't happen though, as my primary motivation was compassion, rather than health. That was just a bonus.

"I eat to nurture my compassion, not my greed"

i agree wholeheartedley :)

theres a lot of reasons a person can be cold. as far as i know they deal mostly with circulation, and vegetarianism doesn't have an effect on circulation one way or the other.

also, b12 is stored by the liver for a long time (years) so you needn't take that much of it as a suppliment. Look into it for more precise info, im not qualified to give advice.

theres a lot of reasons a person can be cold. as far as i know they deal mostly with circulation, and vegetarianism doesn't have an effect on circulation one way or the other.

also, b12 is stored by the liver for a long time (years) so you needn't take that much of it as a suppliment. Look into it for more precise info, im not qualified to give advice.

Agreed. The whole B12 is often just used to scare vegans, I think. Its amazing how being vegan upsets people, and brings out hostility and anger. Its weird.

I have never supplemented B12, and I am not defficient in it, either. So its hard to know the truth. Perhaps its due to the amount of greens I eat......insects are high in B12, and I'm sure I must ingest them within vegetables and salads, without meaning to. So maybe thats keeping me topped up. But as you say, its stored for years, anyway.

I believe there are tiny amounts of B12 passed through kissing and other activities involving bodily fluids too.

Just saying. :ph34r:

For anyone interested, Gabriel Cousens has a really great book that goes into detail about what he calls "Spiritual Nutrition" which is basically a live food, vegan diet. The book is packed with tons of information about nutrition and it's correlation with spirituality. Overall a really great read.

Spiritual Nutrition

For anyone interested, Gabriel Cousens has a really great book that goes into detail about what he calls "Spiritual Nutrition" which is basically a live food, vegan diet. The book is packed with tons of information about nutrition and it's correlation with spirituality. Overall a really great read.

Spiritual Nutrition

I like that book. I am weaning myself away from meat right now (down to occasional fish at present) largely because of his influence. There are a lot of reasons really, but he's definitely one of them.

i am watching a 2 hour video by him that is called "Spiritual Nutrition" although i am only 15 mins in, and i can't quite tell if it is a promo for the book, or for the info in the book, or what. Thats what it seems like anyway. Its just him addressing a room full of yoga people so far. The torrent is out there tho, if you can find it, its pretty cool so far. I have 1hr 45m to go however, so i don't know what the whole thing is like.

i am watching a 2 hour video by him that is called "Spiritual Nutrition" although i am only 15 mins in, and i can't quite tell if it is a promo for the book, or for the info in the book, or what. Thats what it seems like anyway. Its just him addressing a room full of yoga people so far. The torrent is out there tho, if you can find it, its pretty cool so far. I have 1hr 45m to go however, so i don't know what the whole thing is like.

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Keep us posted on how it turns out; might have to go searching for it.

Sinfest, why are you trolling this thread? If you don't agree with Veganism or Vegeterians don't post in here, many have been able to do so.

• Like 2

Agreed. The whole B12 is often just used to scare vegans, I think. Its amazing how being vegan upsets people, and brings out hostility and anger. Its weird.

I have never supplemented B12, and I am not defficient in it, either. So its hard to know the truth. Perhaps its due to the amount of greens I eat......insects are high in B12, and I'm sure I must ingest them within vegetables and salads, without meaning to. So maybe thats keeping me topped up. But as you say, its stored for years, anyway.

I believe there are tiny amounts of B12 passed through kissing and other activities involving bodily fluids too.

Just saying. :ph34r:

There are plenty of vegans that I know of who are not b12 deficiant. I have not met one personally who is actually(saying this I used to live for many years in communities populated mainly by vegans and vegeterians), this of course does not in any way imply that there is no risk. Or that they just werent aware of deficiancy - I dont know.

Yes it is really strange how being vegan brings out hostility in people, there are times when I avoid to mention it.

I can understand being reactionary towards hard core vegan 'prophets' who are simply distastesfull and too much and wouldnt want to be associated with some of them. Also there is a lot of harm done IMO by imposing ones beliefs and personal truths.

It also brings a lot of guilt in people in some strange way for which I also hope not to induce into others. As we are all different , with different roles to play out in the life . We are all part of this intricate Cosmic Game. Every part of it counts as important.

Sinfest, why are you trolling this thread? If you don't agree with Veganism or Vegeterians don't post in here, many have been able to do so.

Ah, he is just being naughty that is all.

No cartoons tonight and going to bed early .

Also, maybe Sinfests Meat Eating feels therathened by all these vegan/vegeterian talk. :P

Anyway it is just a photo of a tiger having a tigers lunch .

Few years ago in high school I took the food and nutrition class, which was just a fancy name for a cooking class.

Eventually we had a class about meat and we were shown a movie about meat production, and animal cruelty on the side. Some very gross images were shown and hearts of some of the impressionable students started to shift as teacher asked if we still wanted to eat meat after this.

To that I raised my hand and said that the movie made me hungry.

Back then I took only classes that would explain to me things that I didn't understand and food was kinda interesting to me.

One hungry day in a different class I was thinking about meat. I used to wonder why we only ate these kinds of animals from stores and is it because some meat wasn't edible or something. Later I found out that almost any part of almost any animal could be eaten just fine. Then while still being a little hungry I looked around the class and realized that everyone was made of meat.

I stared at everyone a little and then snapped out of it later.

I took some time to think about the moral side of eating meat and at that time I was already very familiar with Taoism and some Buddhism.

A lot of vegan people probably saw this connection before becoming vegan. We're all meat but I'm not going to eat my friend and so I'm not eating any meat, and I'm not eating Bambi's mom since I know about Bambi or something.

Not eating meat at this point might seem like a respectful thing to do but thats just cowardly.

I expect some tao bums might want to become vegetarian for better health and not because they lost to their ego, but it doesn't really matter that much if you remove meat from your diet.

I heard somewhere:

When becoming one with nature, eat plants

When going to battle, eat meat

When becoming one with Tao, breath air

I'm against vegetarian stuff because "by now I know better" :lol:

I hate saying that but that's the best way I can put it

Few years ago in high school I took the food and nutrition class, which was just a fancy name for a cooking class.

Eventually we had a class about meat and we were shown a movie about meat production, and animal cruelty on the side. Some very gross images were shown and hearts of some of the impressionable students started to shift as teacher asked if we still wanted to eat meat after this.

To that I raised my hand and said that the movie made me hungry.

Back then I took only classes that would explain to me things that I didn't understand and food was kinda interesting to me.

One hungry day in a different class I was thinking about meat. I used to wonder why we only ate these kinds of animals from stores and is it because some meat wasn't edible or something. Later I found out that almost any part of almost any animal could be eaten just fine. Then while still being a little hungry I looked around the class and realized that everyone was made of meat.

I stared at everyone a little and then snapped out of it later.

I took some time to think about the moral side of eating meat and at that time I was already very familiar with Taoism and some Buddhism.

A lot of vegan people probably saw this connection before becoming vegan. We're all meat but I'm not going to eat my friend and so I'm not eating any meat, and I'm not eating Bambi's mom since I know about Bambi or something.

Not eating meat at this point might seem like a respectful thing to do but thats just cowardly.

I expect some tao bums might want to become vegetarian for better health and not because they lost to their ego, but it doesn't really matter that much if you remove meat from your diet.

I heard somewhere:

When becoming one with nature, eat plants

When going to battle, eat meat

When becoming one with Tao, breath air

I'm against vegetarian stuff because "by now I know better" :lol:

I hate saying that but that's the best way I can put it

I think you should start a new topic on eating meat :)

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Keep us posted on how it turns out; might have to go searching for it.

i found it on demonoid, if you don't have a membership, PM me and i'll email you the torrent.

can i say that on here? is that kosher? sorry mods if it isn't.

Better Eat That Pig

In the Morningtime

Better Eat that Pig

Tastes So Fine

Better Eat that Pig

You Know It's True

Better Eat that Pig Before it Eats You!

Perhaps food combining makes more difference to many people than being a vegetarian. Hmmm.

Meats digest well if not combined with carbs.

Many do extremely well on Paleo diet.

Perhaps eliminating grains makes more difference than being a vegetarian.

Some do not do well as vegetarian. Others do.

If one eats meat best if pasture raised (more omega 3's), best if butchered properly. Best if lean. Best if you do it yourself.

Whatever one eats whether meat or vegetables they should bless the food. And I don't mean petitioning some little old man in the sky, I mean really blessing it.

Vegetables from the grocery store? Full of pesticides and other chemicals.

Now, let us consider the "humane" "spiritual" aspect.

So, let us assume that everyone on Earth gives up meat and goes vegetarian. Now those poor cows, goats, pigs, chickens, and turkeys are free from worry about being eaten and we can pat ourselves on the back for being "spiritual" and all these animals can live out long natural free lives.

HA! Not so fast. Let us examine this. Take cows as our test. So now there is no reason for a rancher to feed the many cows (far too costly) and initially there will be a huge die off (yep, us "spiritual" people helped them ascend!), and perhaps bring disease to the human population. What remains will run wild and perhaps a few will live but most will not. Don't want those wild cows running in the streets so we enact laws to take them off the streets. What we gonna do with them? Kill them most likely or perhaps put them in a huge complex and pass extreme tax laws to pay for feeding them. OR they just becomes extinct.

Hmmm. Reckon this will work? What did we do? We most probably killed off a whole group or groups of animals. How "spiritual" would that make us?

Deer herds that are not hunted and thinned become a huge problem.

If it were not for the hunting and eating of deer then there would be extreme disease and over-competition for the natural food available and thus a huge die-off of the deer. This is a fact.

I didn't post this to piss off the vegetarians. I personally like to eat lots of vegetables and grow them myself and also am of the personal opinion that everyone should do so. But I am hearing a lot of "spiritual" posted here without consideration or if it is really true. Just some food for thought.

Also, the majority of vegetarians I have met seem to have this holier than thou attitude. And of course none of you proponents who post here have that, but it is just as bad as those who eat meat having the same attitude against vegetarians. It doesn't make one more "spiritual" to eat either way.

The OP asked for experiences with vegetarian diet. Full veg doesn't work well for a lot of people. If you decide to try, simply monitor your well being and don't be dumb about it if it doesn't work for you. It may work well for you or it may not.

Hm, yeah personally I feel spiritually lighter when all my nutrients are obtained without anything having to die so I try to maintain that. On the other hand, I will eat meat on occasion when it is left over and might otherwise go to waste. I also eat sushi maybe a few times a month, but I think the fresh sushi fish only keeps so long so I guess the same logic could sort of apply there. The Buddhist rule was not to eat anything that was prepared for you and so only eat left overs (or stolen food! ha ha...) that people give you. I guess when it comes to meat this is generally my exception right now.

I also resonate more fully with Taoism and so can see how eating meat at times can help your spiritual pursuits, so I'll make some exceptions by that as well.

But you make an excellent point and picture of the natural cycle Ya Mu.

I wonder what would happen if all meat eaters had to do their own slaughter. I guess it might make for some unnecessarily desensitized citizens, but it might also make people realize the importance of taking something and thanking and praying for it. I wonder how our use of natural resources would be affected if we had national ceremonies to thank the earth and forests for our use of them..?

• Like 1

Pure vegan feels natural to me. Holier than thou? A grade-school teacher brought his class to a farm-slaugherhouse, many students got sick, puked, many had to undergo councelling. Meat is natural? Why not eat it raw, the way god intended, it will make you ill. Use your teath to rip into raw side of dead animal. Cannot? Don't have the right teath, dont have the right stomach. Meat eaters dont give up, I know. I see their beady eyes when they have meat in front of them, addicted, very different from the eyes of veg restaurants people, relaxed, zen.

Pure vegan feels natural to me. Holier than thou? A grade-school teacher brought his class to a farm-slaugherhouse, many students got sick, puked, many had to undergo councelling. Meat is natural? Why not eat it raw, the way god intended, it will make you ill. Use your teath to rip into raw side of dead animal. Cannot? Don't have the right teath, dont have the right stomach. Meat eaters dont give up, I know. I see their beady eyes when they have meat in front of them, addicted, very different from the eyes of veg restaurants people, relaxed, zen.

"Also, the majority of vegetarians I have met seem to have this holier than thou attitude. And of course none of you proponents who post here have that, but it is just as bad as those who eat meat having the same attitude against vegetarians."

Well, excuse me, I see I was totally wrong about the posters here.

Better Eat That Pig

In the Morningtime

Better Eat that Pig

Tastes So Fine

Better Eat that Pig

You Know It's True

Better Eat that Pig Before it Eats You!

Perhaps food combining makes more difference to many people than being a vegetarian. Hmmm.

Meats digest well if not combined with carbs.

Many do extremely well on Paleo diet.

Perhaps eliminating grains makes more difference than being a vegetarian.

Some do not do well as vegetarian. Others do.

If one eats meat best if pasture raised (more omega 3's), best if butchered properly. Best if lean. Best if you do it yourself.

Whatever one eats whether meat or vegetables they should bless the food. And I don't mean petitioning some little old man in the sky, I mean really blessing it.

Vegetables from the grocery store? Full of pesticides and other chemicals.

Now, let us consider the "humane" "spiritual" aspect.

So, let us assume that everyone on Earth gives up meat and goes vegetarian. Now those poor cows, goats, pigs, chickens, and turkeys are free from worry about being eaten and we can pat ourselves on the back for being "spiritual" and all these animals can live out long natural free lives.

HA! Not so fast. Let us examine this. Take cows as our test. So now there is no reason for a rancher to feed the many cows (far too costly) and initially there will be a huge die off (yep, us "spiritual" people helped them ascend!), and perhaps bring disease to the human population. What remains will run wild and perhaps a few will live but most will not. Don't want those wild cows running in the streets so we enact laws to take them off the streets. What we gonna do with them? Kill them most likely or perhaps put them in a huge complex and pass extreme tax laws to pay for feeding them. OR they just becomes extinct.

Hmmm. Reckon this will work? What did we do? We most probably killed off a whole group or groups of animals. How "spiritual" would that make us?

Deer herds that are not hunted and thinned become a huge problem.

If it were not for the hunting and eating of deer then there would be extreme disease and over-competition for the natural food available and thus a huge die-off of the deer. This is a fact.

I didn't post this to piss off the vegetarians. I personally like to eat lots of vegetables and grow them myself and also am of the personal opinion that everyone should do so. But I am hearing a lot of "spiritual" posted here without consideration or if it is really true. Just some food for thought.

Also, the majority of vegetarians I have met seem to have this holier than thou attitude. And of course none of you proponents who post here have that, but it is just as bad as those who eat meat having the same attitude against vegetarians. It doesn't make one more "spiritual" to eat either way.

The OP asked for experiences with vegetarian diet. Full veg doesn't work well for a lot of people. If you decide to try, simply monitor your well being and don't be dumb about it if it doesn't work for you. It may work well for you or it may not.

No one here was saying to my understanding that everyone should become vegeterian.

I am personally not of that evangelist opinion , as it is impossible and I like live and let others live.

Nature is so wild and versitale , beutiful just that way.

Your scenario about exctiontion of animals has some truth to it , it is vast subject to think off with many pros and cons and requires thinking about the results for further future too.

Here is an interesting article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet

Being vegan feels just natural and right , I have no doubts about it. I am made to start eating this way, as much as someone may feel so right eating meat diet.

As far as vegeterians and their attidudes goes , I hanged out with a lot of anarchists and travellers and artists most of my life who are veggie

(just to add-and non veggie too)and except for few exceptions they havent got holier than thou attitude for being veggie for sure. Just a bunch of ordinary folk living the way they find right for themselves.

However if you have in mind a lot of Gurus Lotus Feet Very Sensitive and 'Shanti' type of veggie spiritual seekers than yes I have met some of those holier than thou.

I have seen this way of eating work for many and have heard of people who just could not live eating this way.

At the end of the day we are all different with different mental/spirtual/physical constitutions and roles to play in life.

I was vegetarian for a few years when I was younger but not any more, I think my diet suffered during those years. Buddha seemed to recommend being vegetarian but many Tibetans like the Dalai Lama can't live without meat because of their constitution and they seem to do ok spiritually, I was reading recently that for some Buddhist Tantra you need meat in your diet to help build the tantric drops in your body, so in that situation meat helps you evolve spiritually.

Pork seems to be a problem in many religions and when I was in Peru last year I found out that apparently pork completely blocks the shamanic process, if you eat pork then drink Ayahuasca either nothing will happen or you will be ill so I think they may be something deeper to the banning of pork from religion other than it being unclean, it seems to block the access to other worlds so none of the Shaman eat it, other meats seem to be ok though.

Meat doesn't help spiritualy at all, any "spiritual teacher" saying otherwise is bullshit to me.

That does not mean you necesserily need to become vegetarian to be spiritual ( honestly most of people can reduce their meat consumption A LOT), but at least you must not try to find false excuses.

Tibetans are buddhists but eat meat anyway... why? Very simple: look at the place they live! I would eat meat without hesitation if I was living there. Same thing for Inuits, people of the deserts and so on.

Now, if you live in an industrialised society, do you really need to do so? Especially now when you have all the ressources (information and food) to become easily vegetarian?

Pork... I don't see why more pig than another animal. Maybe for some energy-stuff reason...In taoism, cow is the first animal one should not eat.