Tom Lin

Vegetarianism

Can you imagine feeding this shit to our children?

Is the Pink Slime in Your Child's Lunch?

Our whole food supply manipulation is a crime against humanity, IMO. Look at how many companies monsanto corp (pharmacia - Pfizer) owns. Shocking, to say the least (anyone want some Green Giant veges - mmm,). Grain - screwed up, genetically modified. Meat - screwed up, raised with same grains, improper handling, never freshly butchered. Vegetables - screwed up, trucked from one side of the country to another probably in a truck that was previously hauling waste and grown with enough chemicals to weigh down a battleship. Milk - screwed up, irradiated, enzymes killed off, growth hormones, kids growing breasts at age 7. Seed supply - screwed up, monsanto has bought up most of the open pollinated supply, or at least as much as they can, a few holdouts but becoming much harder to get. Fruits, screwed up, look at the number of cases of poisoning in last few years.

Sorry, I was on a tear.

• Like 1

How so?

On the Snopes site, Pink Slime is being primarily endorsed by the American Meat Institute -

From the AMI website:

"About AMI

AMI is a national trade association that represents companies that process 95 percent of red meat and 70 percent of turkey in the US and their suppliers throughout America. Headquartered in metropolitan Washington, DC, AMI keeps its fingers on the pulse of legislation, regulation and media activity that impacts the meat and poultry industry and provides rapid updates and analyses to its members to help them stay informed. In addition, AMI conducts scientific research through its Foundation designed to help meat and poultry companies improve their plants and their products. The Institute's many meetings and educational seminars also provide excellent networking and information-sharing opportunities for members of the industry."

What IS enlightening is the list of previous users of Pink Slime who have discontinued using it - McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Burger King. And those that continue to use it - the public school system. Given that it is cheap, legal, readily available, endorsed by the AMI and the USDA, and DOES NOT NEED TO BE LABELED, it's curious that McD, TB, and BK have publicly stated they have abandoned the product. The real question is, are they telling the truth?

Some additional info from the ABC investigative report -

"The “pink slime” is made by gathering waste trimmings, simmering them at low heat so the fat separates easily from the muscle, and spinning the trimmings using a centrifuge to complete the separation. Next, the mixture is sent through pipes where it is sprayed with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. The process is completed by packaging the meat into bricks. Then, it is frozen and shipped to grocery stores and meat packers, where it is added to most ground beef.

The “pink slime” does not have to appear on the label because, over objections of its own scientists, USDA officials with links to the beef industry labeled it meat. “The under secretary said, ‘it’s pink, therefore it’s meat,’” Custer told ABC News.

ABC News has learned the woman who made the decision to OK the mix is a former undersecretary of agriculture, Joann Smith. It was a call that led to hundred of millions of dollars for Beef Products Inc., the makers of pink slime.

When Smith stepped down from the USDA in 1993, BPI’s principal major supplier appointed her to its board of directors, where she made at least $1.2 million over 17 years.

Smith did not return ABC News’ calls for comment and BPI said it had nothing to do with her appointment. The USDA said while her appointment was legal at the time, under current ethics rules Smith could not have immediately joined the board."

The emphasis is mine.

Our whole food supply manipulation is a crime against humanity, IMO. Look at how many companies monsanto corp (pharmacia - Pfizer) owns. Shocking, to say the least (anyone want some Green Giant veges - mmm,). Grain - screwed up, genetically modified. Meat - screwed up, raised with same grains, improper handling, never freshly butchered. Vegetables - screwed up, trucked from one side of the country to another probably in a truck that was previously hauling waste and grown with enough chemicals to weigh down a battleship. Milk - screwed up, irradiated, enzymes killed off, growth hormones, kids growing breasts at age 7. Seed supply - screwed up, monsanto has bought up most of the open pollinated supply, or at least as much as they can, a few holdouts but becoming much harder to get. Fruits, screwed up, look at the number of cases of poisoning in last few years.

Sorry, I was on a tear.

And you haven't even mentioned seafood, water, air...

And people wonder why we are seeing growing rates of asthma, depression, all kinds of cancers, and the list goes on and on.

We live in an increasingly toxic environment - air, water, earth, food... and we are paying the price.

• Like 1

Sorry for jumping in on this topic late, but i normally don't get on this forum much (or forums). i've been vegetarian for 18-19 years and feel great. There can be pit falls, but if you train and meditate, then the yin of a vegetable-based diet will complement your training very nicely. i can't imagine how imbalanced i would feel with all the surface yang from meat.

• Like 1

Because it provided further info on the pink slime...?

I usually like Snopes but they seemed way too far in the American Meat Institute's camp on this one.

Wikipedia has better info, IMO.

I've been a vegetarian since last September. for my protein, I eat nuts and have soya/quorn products.

How are you finding vegetarianism? :lol:

This is true. Of the nutrients we know about. That's the biggie. We don't know about everything that makes up our food.

Believe me Seth. If I knew of a way supplements could duplicate the results I get from eggs I'd try to find a way to afford it. But NONE of the components of eggs when taken in supplement form have the same result as simply eating eggs. I mean...part of me wonders why this isn't one reason why a lot of Nutritionists and Dieticians say you should get most of your body's necessities from real food. Otherwise we could all pig out on crap food but make it "nutritious" with massive doses of a variety of nutrients and phyto-nutrients. But nowhere have I ever seen that posited as a way to make a junk food diet become a miraculously nutritious one.

Now that is a very good and interesting point!

i am not saying it has swung me to Yamu's side yet, but yep, eggs are just so stabilizing... {for me}

There are few supplements that have an effect like eggs on me personally.

The few supplements that I really 'feel' are Tressos B, high doses of low acid vitamin c, good plant based Iron, and Zink.

I actually don't take supplements very much. But Tressos B and C are my favourites.

But I guess i just believe in the Human Spirit too much to tell someone that they 'cant' be a vegetarian, no matter what, if they really want to be one.

Where there is a will there is a way! {please note that this statement of mine is based on my personal beliefs} :o:lol: