Lao Tzu

Meditation is not a good way for practising

Humans: aaaaaa what is the meaning of life, enlightenment, the works of the universe, oh the mystery and divinityyyyyyy

Cats:

can't sleep because of some frigin oranges

Well, I would sat that the cat on the left has mastered its style of meditation. The other two have more work to do.

I declare the word cat to be also a verb now

I used to go catting around.

(But now I just stay home and meditate.)

I used to go catting around.

(But now I just stay home and meditate.)

Hi Marblehead...

The term meditation is just too broad in people's mind. When a non-English speakers like Lao Tze and I do have trouble grasp the multi-definition in the West. I can understanding why this thread was so perturbed by some of the readers. It was because there is no definite definition of the term and it's different with each individual. That is why our friend having difficulty in communicating with all of us. He was thinking about something else in his mind while during all the talking.

May I hear how do you do your personal meditation, that you're fond of, in your own words. Please don't cite a site with lengthy explanations. I just want to hear from you in your own words and experience. Thanks.

Edited by ChiDragon

May I hear how do you do your personal meditation, that you're fond of, in your own words. Please don't cite a site with lengthy explanations. I just want to hear from you in your own words and experience. Thanks.

Sure.

Well, Okay, I have a few more words to say about it.

There are times, few though they might be, where I actually intend (we like that word, intention, don't we?) to meditate. At these time I will sit in a very comfortable chair so that I feel no pronounced pressure on any part of my body. I will normally close my eyes but not always; I might just stare at some object.

Then I just let my mind go blank if it wants to. This is a trick because if I try to force my mind to go blank I will have the thoughts of blanking my mind and that counter-acts the desired process of becoming empty-minded.

Some times I am able to go into deep meditation and othertimes I just get a good physical rest. But I rarely have a fixed goal of meditating so either result is good.

Othertimes I will be outside doing some routine task in the gardens or at the pond area and will become empty-minded. I had been working but was totally unaware of it. I may even have flown off to some peaceful place I had experienced in the past.

To be honest, I have not really found a "need" to meditate over the past few months because I am at peace with my present condition. Mostly I have the "need" when memory of some negative experience enters my mind and I have trouble letting it go. Seated meditation helps me a lot when this happens.

The reason those other people keep saying 'know thyself' is because they are/were aware of the ways in which 'unknowing oneself' are instated and perpetuated. It would seem to me that being asleep is as 'natural' as being awake. Just that there are risks involved in both.

Meditation seems to be a way of waking up. What you wake up as is a whole n'other thing.

----opinion alert ----

I finally figured out how to talk to him

So let's wait for the next fun and exciting thread to pop up

Yes, picking one's mind to find out what one is trying to say is more fun than accusing someone that doesn't know what he is talking about. I think we can handle it without the help of a moderator. Let's all be "Wu Wei" about it....:)

Message was well taken....:)

I think we have ruined this thread now. Hehehe.

It is just on the edge of being sent to the pit.

That is why our friend having difficulty in communicating with all of us. He was thinking about something else in his mind while during all the talking.

I'm curious to hear what our friend told you that he considers meditation to be.

I think we have ruined this thread now. Hehehe.

It is just on the edge of being sent to the pit.

before that happens,

I'm curious to hear what our friend told you that he considers meditation to be.

He didn't say much about it. He said the term was new to him and just learned its various meanings from the westerners here.

He didn't say much about it. He said the term was new to him and just learned its various meanings from the westerners here.

If it was new to him, why claim that the sages condemn it?

It sounded to me as if he had a very clear idea of what meditation is in his mind.

Whether it is accurate and from a reliable source or simply from books is what I'm curious about.

If it was new to him, why claim that the sages condemn it?

It sounded to me as if he had a very clear idea of what meditation is in his mind.

Whether it is accurate and from a reliable source or simply from books is what I'm curious about.

It seems to me he was just making some general statements which have no relationship to any reliable source that I am aware of. Most Chinese do have a tendency to make statements like this without anything to substantiate them. That is the way they talk as a bad habit.

The way the Chinese understood about meditation, in the west, is exactly how Marblehead described. There is no way the ancient Chinese knew it was this way. As I was saying before, the Chinese Taoist meditation requires breathing. BTW All Chinese Chi Kung require breathing in all levels. The higher the level, the deeper the practitioner has to breathe.

I agree. Meditation is a waste of time, I mean there is a lot better thing to do with your time. You should learn to meditate and move around at the same time, so your not wasting your time sitting around. So many people use meditation as an excuse to be lazy.

Edited by KarthusMeanor

I agree. Meditation is a waste of time, I mean there is a lot better thing to do with your time. You should learn to meditate and move around at the same time, so your not wasting your time sitting around. So many people use meditation as an excuse to be lazy.

Well, if one sitting down to meditate with breathing is a different story. It helps to heal the body if there is an illness. It no illness, it refresh the body. It massages the internal organs and enhance their functions like fine tuning an automobile.

The advantage of moving around will build up the muscle tone.

The advantage of moving around will build up the muscle tone.

Then please explain the advantage of intention and spirit.