Aaron

Any other Anime fans out there?

Ninja Scroll

Akira

Any Miyazaki film. They're all amazing. Lots of Shinto inspired stuff.

Otogi Zoshi

Afro Samurai

to name a few

Shura No toki is pretty good. its about some guy who descends from this badass style of martial art

Edited by templetao

I also despise cutsy type anime, and I face slap to Avatar-Air Bender. Air Bender just seems like it's on the same level of Pokemon to me. :-(

Avatar: The Last Airbender was actually pretty good, had some cool fights, and worked in some nice spirituality stuff in there to boot. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Has anyone here ever watched an anime that gave you an electric shock or powerful feeling of connectedness or meaning? I've had that in Anime and Manga, XXXHolic volumes 1 and 2(Manga) and Moon Phase for Anime.

Speaking of xxxHolic, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles was amazing. I only read the manga, but I think there is an anime adaptation. It was very good. Story kind of intertwines with xxxHolic, but you don't have to know the story of xxxHolic to get Tsubasa.

I have only seen the first series, and Conquerors of Shambala. I'd like to see the 2nd, but I don't get much time for entertainment atm. And the bulk of it seems to be going to this site, heh. So much to read.

Ah, yeah. The first story was good in its own right, don't get me wrong. But Brotherhood is better by miles.

I started watching Mushi-Shi tonight. Very good series, especially for the Tao Bum type interested in the Eastern view on spirits. I think if you watch Mushi-Shi and Ghost Hound, you'll get a very good course on how the Japanese view the spirit world. Oh yeah, for those who like a bit of martial arts thrown in the mix, don't forget about Corpse Princess.

Aaron

I've been watching a lot of anime recently myself...seen a lot of really good ones I've watched on this thread. Among my personal favorites:

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Death Note (probably one of my all-time favorites ever)

Darker than Black (I've only seen the first season, but enjoyed it)

Oh! Edo Rocket (completely hilarious, a self-aware anime. Definitely in my top five)

Fullmetal Alchemist (haven't seen Brotherhood yet...started watching but didn't finish, cuz it seemed a lot campier and not quite so dark. Does it get better?)

Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (really fun martial arts anime, fights are pretty cool and the story is solid)

Angel Beats (short but sweet, enjoyed the music a lot)

Claymore (didn't like how it ended, but overall it was good. Very dark.)

I watched the first episode of Mushi-shi, and it looks pretty interesting, very artsy. I've been watching Heroic Age sporadically and it's alright so far...the dialogue isn't the best, but the plot is interesting and the fights are crazy. Hetalia Axis Powers is one of the best representatives of the "WTF, Japan!?" group (so is Excel Saga, if you have the stomach for the high-pitched screeching of the main character).

High School of the Dead is okay so far (only a couple episodes into it), but it'd be way better without all the fan service. Totally unnecessary.

Looks like I'll have to check out Code Geass.

Fullmetal Alchemist (haven't seen Brotherhood yet...started watching but didn't finish, cuz it seemed a lot campier and not quite so dark. Does it get better?)

It goes by the manga pretty much word for word, so when the manga does a comic scene, it's animated pretty much exactly like it is shown in the manga. So there are a few places where it seems out of place, but in the manga it was timed a bit better.

Overall, the series picks up drastically. The first dozen episodes (if I recall correctly) are nearly the same between the two. The place where it branches is where the Homunculus Greed is introduced. The homunculi are handled VERY differently, which has much larger ramifications for the whole story. It's also more complex, full, and has (I think) a better resolution.

Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (really fun martial arts anime, fights are pretty cool and the story is solid)

I really enjoyed that as well (manga is still ongoing).

As an aside, I did read a good manga called "Kenji". Basically it's about a kid who learns Bajiquan from his grandfather, and then travels through Japan and China to find his grandfather. He meets a lot of martial arts teachers and learns a lot of good stuff. The target is a much younger audience, and it's not real flashy with a lot of good fights. But I enjoyed the martial arts story and the focus that a lot of good martial arts get.

Claymore (didn't like how it ended, but overall it was good. Very dark.)

The manga is still ongoing. I haven't see the anime, so I can't speak to that. Chances are good, though, that if an anime has a weird ending, it's because the manga is still ongoing, and the anime wasn't approved for a new season/was canceled. In those cases, check up on the manga, and you might be really surprised.

I've been watching Heroic Age sporadically and it's alright so far...the dialogue isn't the best, but the plot is interesting and the fights are crazy.

I felt like it was never intense enough for me. I felt like they could have take it much further than they did. The concept was amazing, though.

High School of the Dead is okay so far (only a couple episodes into it), but it'd be way better without all the fan service. Totally unnecessary.

There are some stories with the sole purpose of being fanservice, you know :P History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi actually has TONS of fan service in the manga, which really surprised me. I watched the anime, which had a lot of it cut or toned down, so when I made the jump I was like "whoa, what's with all this now?"

Looks like I'll have to check out Code Geass.

It's by far the best thing (not just anime) I have ever seen.

Overall, the series picks up drastically. The first dozen episodes (if I recall correctly) are nearly the same between the two. The place where it branches is where the Homunculus Greed is introduced. The homunculi are handled VERY differently, which has much larger ramifications for the whole story. It's also more complex, full, and has (I think) a better resolution.

I'll give it another shot, then. If I can ever pull my free time away from Skyrim, lol.

As an aside, I did read a good manga called "Kenji". Basically it's about a kid who learns Bajiquan from his grandfather, and then travels through Japan and China to find his grandfather. He meets a lot of martial arts teachers and learns a lot of good stuff. The target is a much younger audience, and it's not real flashy with a lot of good fights. But I enjoyed the martial arts story and the focus that a lot of good martial arts get.

I might check that out. I haven't really read much manga, but I'll probably have to start. The way Claymore ended kinda made me angry and I'd like to see how it's REALLY supposed to go. :P

I felt like it was never intense enough for me. I felt like they could have take it much further than they did. The concept was amazing, though.

Yeah, they could have done better with it, but some of the space battles are pretty cool just due to the sheer scale. Concept is definitely amazing.

There are some stories with the sole purpose of being fanservice, you know :P History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi actually has TONS of fan service in the manga, which really surprised me. I watched the anime, which had a lot of it cut or toned down, so when I made the jump I was like "whoa, what's with all this now?"

Yeah...a little fan service is acceptable, there are tasteful ways to do it. But it really turns me off when it's excessive and blatant. Glad they toned Kenichi down for the anime, that would've really tarnished the experience for me.

It's by far the best thing (not just anime) I have ever seen.

That's pretty high praise for Code Geass. I'll put that one next on my list to watch.

Thanks, Sloppy!

I remember after watching Death Note i felt like, where can i find another program like this!! Code Geass definitely lives up to (probably surpasses) that, it was excellent.

Couple of other psychological themed animes, all i think are excellent -

Kaiji - A guy is trapped by debt and is invited to a gambling arena to win his way out.

One Outs - Same author of Kaiji, a gambler playing professional baseball.

Steins; gate - Time travel, and its consequences.

Puella magi madoka - Magic girls you say!!? Well just watch it, its deceptive haha.

These ones make you think, will probably re watch a few of them myself :P.

... If I can ever pull my free time away from Skyrim, lol.

oh my GAOWD don't even get me started....

I also despise cutsy type anime, and I face slap to Avatar-Air Bender. Air Bender just seems like it's on the same level of Pokemon to me. :-(

sounds like someone has lost their inner child ! Wake up shleepyhead ! ^____^

i totally forgot about Cowboy Bebop! one of my very favorites <3

i guess i have simple and child-like taste : D

but isn't that one of the core qualities of the fire element?

~

Edited by Alethaeia

Some of my favorites:

Fullmetal Alchemist

Cowboy Bebop

Miyazaki films

Death Note

Great Teacher Onizuka

Afro Samurai

Berserk

The earlier seasons of Naruto

The earlier seasons of One Piece

With some series, shounen in particular, I don't watch the animes much anymore, but mostly read the mangas. With long series the filler they need to put in to prevent the anime from catching up with the manga tends to really detract from the quality.

These are the mangas I currently read:

Naruto

One Piece

Gantz

Berserk

History's Greatest Disciple Kenichi (great martial arts story! The fan service does get ridiculous after chapter 300 though)

Since I saw them mentioned on here I may now look up Shaman King and High School of the Dead.

Edited by Enishi
  • Like 1

oh my GAOWD don't even get me started....

It's terrible, isn't it? Why do they have to go and make such a good game!? >.<

i guess i have simple and child-like taste : D

Nothin' wrong with that! Those inner children get restless if they're not fed regularly. :P

srsly -_-'

i'm hopeless for a good action/adventure RPG

i do have a few complaints about skyrim, like no acrobatics/athletics >:(

and over-simplification of the more technical aspects which get me all wet...i love the in depth technical points of rpg games

however i LOVE the skill tree - now we actually have to BUILD a character! bout time! ( i played Diablo II for 6 years )

and also i enjoy the fixed levels of world creatures, like bears -- if you wander down the wrong trail, you can get killed in one hit by a high lvl monster. that's how it should be; oblivion really pissed me off with the dynamic leveling system, it drove me crazy that the same rats i met in the sewers lvl 1 were now lvl 20 with me and still provided a challenge. ugh. stupid. aaaand they finally have some decent vioce acting now.

anyway YAY SKYRIM <3 IT"S SO PURDY ^___^

but yeah, back on topic! Hayao Miyazaki is the PWNTZ0RZ! err, that means he's really good ^_^

the only miyazaki film i haven't seen is Castle in the Sky, or perhaps some of the Lupin stuff, which was before he joined Studio Ghibli....

~

srsly -_-'

and over-simplification of the more technical aspects which get me all wet...i love the in depth technical points of rpg games

however i LOVE the skill tree - now we actually have to BUILD a character! bout time! ( i played Diablo II for 6 years )

and also i enjoy the fixed levels of world creatures, like bears -- if you wander down the wrong trail, you can get killed in one hit by a high lvl monster. that's how it should be; oblivion really pissed me off with the dynamic leveling system, it drove me crazy that the same rats i met in the sewers lvl 1 were now lvl 20 with me and still provided a challenge. ugh. stupid. aaaand they finally have some decent vioce acting now.

~

It definitely adds some spice knowing that around the next corner there might be some random baddie that will curb-stomp you in no time flat.

Which technical aspects are you talking about?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and back to anime...I was disappointed to see that Netflix doesn't have Code Geass. Are there any other video services (like Hulu, maybe? Never used that one) that have it, or am I gonna have to buy it? :(

You young whipper snappers and yer fancy Skyrims, I still have a sealed copy of The Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall from 1996. Now get off my lawn!

srsly -_-'

but yeah, back on topic! Hayao Miyazaki is the PWNTZ0RZ! err, that means he's really good ^_^

the only miyazaki film i haven't seen is Castle in the Sky, or perhaps some of the Lupin stuff, which was before he joined Studio Ghibli....

~

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

You young whipper snappers and yer fancy Skyrims, I still have a sealed copy of The Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall from 1996. Now get off my lawn!

Daggerfall was insane. The size of the world was astounding. I remember spending hours on that game. It really has come a long way. My favorite RPG back in the day was Pools of Radiance though... that one kicked butt.

Ahh... the good old days. Remember Dungeons and Dragons on the Intelivision?

Also, shounen/martial arts aren't the only type of anime out there, in fact the drama and comedies are some of the best series to choose from. I recommend you guys broaden your horizons and start looking at some of the other choices. I finished Mushi-Shi and it was EXCELLENT! Not very flashy, but it engaged me from beginning to end. I hope that it's got another season ahead, because it was well worth watching. If you want to watch a non-shounen series, then that may be good start. If you want something a bit more flashy, perhaps you should start with Ouran High School Host Club or meet halfway and watch Noein which has fight scenes, but is really story driven. Anyways, just a suggestion. Remember, you should be watching (anime).

Aaron

Anything by legendary anime director Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Ponyo, Princess Monomoke, Castle in the Sky. He creates beautiful worlds, great story lines with an eastern sensibility. His heroes show more eastern virtues, conquering through kindness and subservience(?) rather then out right fighting.

glad someone said it!!

I figure twinner has seen or heard of Miyazaki, just like (thanks disney) everyone else and their grandmother

but its still the best stuff out there

Add me to the list too :D

P.S. If you are planning on "watching" Shaman King, don't! The anime has it's own ending, which is very disappointing and also it's not that deep. If you want to see why Shaman King is so good read the manga, you won't be disappointed!

Speaking of anime, The Wind also Rises by the famed Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle..) is out. Its reputed to be his last work. A genteel story about a young man in the 1920's who dreams of building airplanes. It captures a side of heroism that is rarely seen in American films. Slow moving, his trademark beautiful scenery, love story and a interesting view of preWWII Japan.

Neon Genesis was always very good. Have been reading Freezing which is a bit of a ripoff but I still like it.

Elfen Lied is probably among my favourites.

Death Note and Gantz I'd put in the same category. Both are really good.

I read typical mangas like Naruto, Fairy Tail, Beelzebub etc. Kind of wish they'd hurry up and finish. Strongest disciple Kenichi is still good for me.

If you want to read a funny hentai manga check out Oretama. It starts out funny then kind of dies at the end. A more toned down version (more ecchi) would be something like Princess Lucia although I don't think it's as good. Nyotai-ka started out similarly funny as well. Was interesting because it's different to the normal high schooler with super powers.

There's so much good stuff out there.

Spirited Away

Vampire Princess Miyu

Mononoke Hime

Ergo Proxy

Mushishi

Ghost in the Shell

Totoro

Vampire Hunter D
Wolf's Rain

Ninja Scroll

Attack on Titan