Sign in to follow this  
TenebrousMystery

Digestive Problems

Kindred Souls,

It's been about 4 or 5 years now since my digestion has gone out of whack and become irritable and irksome. I've tried a whole plethora of therapy modalities. The following modalities actually ended up causing my digestion to deteriorate: allopathy in the form of strong antibiotics; naturopathy; different extreme diets such as raw food and fruitarianism; ashtanga yoga. Other approaches did, in fact, help to alleviate some of the discomfort and improve the condition: vegetarianism; simply slowing down, breathing consciously and letting go of stress; becoming less mental; embracing my emotional being.

Interestingly, I had a colonoscopy done several years ago and they found absolutely nothing wrong with my gut.

Furthermore, I don't eat out, stay clear from processed foods, and try to buy mostly organic produce. I would even say that I hardly buy foodstuffs with a list of ingredients.

I've started practicing QiGong (namely, standing meditation and some warm-up and self-massage techniques) about a month ago and have not noticed any changes to my digestion, although, I do enjoy the practice and would like to deepen it.

And now, my reason for writing: does anybody know of a specific system or form of QiGong that can facilitate the healing of my digestive system?

I am grateful for any advice or counsel. Moreoever, if you require more information, I would be happy to supply it.

TenebrousMystery

Edited by TenebrousMystery

Kindred Souls,

It's been about 4 or 5 years now since my digestion has gone out of whack and become irritable and irksome. I've tried a whole plethora of therapy modalities. The following modalities actually ended up causing my digestion to deteriorate: allopathy in the form of strong antibiotics; naturopathy; different extreme diets such as raw food and fruitarianism; ashtanga yoga. Other approaches did, in fact, help to alleviate some of the discomfort and improve the condition: vegetarianism; simply slowing down, breathing consciously and letting go of stress; becoming less mental; embracing my emotional being.

Interestingly, I had a colonoscopy done several years ago and they found absolutely nothing wrong with my gut.

I've started practicing QiGong (namely, standing meditation and some warm-up and self-massage techniques) about a month ago and have not noticed any changes to my digestion, although, I do enjoy the practice and would like to deepen it.

And now, my reason for writing: does anybody know of a specific system or form of QiGong that can facilitate the healing of my digestive system?

I am grateful for any advice or counsel. Moreoever, if you require more information, I would be happy to supply it.

TenebrousMystery

Might I inquire to what symptoms you experience that would quality as "digestive problems"? Do you notice it with certain foods more than others?

-Astral

My link

I've been doing this regularly for several years now. Highly recommend Unwinding for digestive issues. I bought the book and followed the program. Very easy reading, simple practice, profound healing. Good luck.

Might I inquire to what symptoms you experience that would quality as "digestive problems"? Do you notice it with certain foods more than others?

-Astral

Okay, I guess this was unavoidable. Well then, let's get down to the nitty-gritty of it: In the beginning, it would alternate between constipation and diarrhea and was extremely disconcerting. Over the course of the last few years it has improved dramatically, but is still quite troublesome. A synopsis of the current state of affairs:

On average, I'd say I have to empty my bowels around 4 or 5 times a day, although sometimes it could even go up to 8 or 9 or even more. Most of this occurs in the morning. I usually wake up at around 4:30 or 5 with a strong urge to empty my bowels, the result of which is usually not very well-formed, and sometimes I can even observe small, undigested pieces of food. I then usually have to go again for at least 2 or 3 more times over the course of the next two hours; drinking water and stretching usually helps facilitate this. So, it's as if my digestion were very weak and couldn't expel all of the waste in one time. Then, later on in the day, a similar process can repeat itself. Sometimes this is accompanied by pain and discomfort, but mostly, it isn't.

Another curious thing is that I have to burp a lot at times, and when I do, I have to position myself upright, otherwise I won't be able expel air.

Foods that aggravate this: deep-fried, whole grains (unless in moderate amounts), eating fruits after a meal, pastries, heavily-processed foods, and, cucumbers and most raw vegetables (unless in moderation).

Hope this information helps.

Hey TenebrousMystery,

Welcome!

When I was having gut troubles what I found to help was abdominal breathing. When lying down, put left hand on dantien and right hand on chest. Your left hand should be the only hand going up and down. This relaxes, brings blood to the right places, massages organs, plus..

Some other things: drink only warm or hot liquid with meals so that the spleen doesn't have to heat them up when digesting everything else. Better yet, drink lots of fluids during the day and nothing within 30-45 minutes of eating. This allows more nutrients to be digested rather than washed away.

Being more regular helps as well. Drink green tea, but avoid too much caffeine. Meat is harder to digest and does some bad stuff, so being mostly vegetarian can help.

It's hard for me to say how much all of this worked, and how much it had to do with stress. I also seemed to have sympathetic stomach conversations with the person I was sleeping next too, as I no longer do.

Abdominal breathing is foundational to qi gong as well..

Do you really expect good result in a month...??? BTW It takes months and depends how you are doing it...!!!

Can you describe what are your standing meditation and self-massage techniques...???

Whoah. Ok. missed your response..

Sounds like you might have a stomach ulcer or something. You'd be best to find that out first.. then you'll know better what qi gong to help.

abdominal breathing is still basic..

I sincerely appreciate all of your kind feedback.

My link

I've been doing this regularly for several years now. Highly recommend Unwinding for digestive issues. I bought the book and followed the program. Very easy reading, simple practice, profound healing. Good luck.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Hey TenebrousMystery,

Welcome!

When I was having gut troubles what I found to help was abdominal breathing. When lying down, put left hand on dantien and right hand on chest. Your left hand should be the only hand going up and down. This relaxes, brings blood to the right places, massages organs, plus..

Some other things: drink only warm or hot liquid with meals so that the spleen doesn't have to heat them up when digesting everything else. Better yet, drink lots of fluids during the day and nothing within 30-45 minutes of eating. This allows more nutrients to be digested rather than washed away.

Being more regular helps as well. Drink green tea, but avoid too much caffeine. Meat is harder to digest and does some bad stuff, so being mostly vegetarian can help.

It's hard for me to say how much all of this worked, and how much it had to do with stress. I also seemed to have sympathetic stomach conversations with the person I was sleeping next too, as I no longer do.

Abdominal breathing is foundational to qi gong as well..

I've been practicing it for the last four years, find it to be a wonderful way to stay in the body and be more centered, but, alas, it does not seem to have helped with my digestion.

Regarding liquids, I don't drink immediately before and after meals. I will definitely try to increase my liquid intake and will take to drinking some green tea.

Do you really expect good result in a month...??? BTW It takes months and depends how you are doing it...!!!

Can you describe what are your standing meditation and self-massage techniques...???

Mmm, good point. I can't say for a fact that I was expecting it to resolve my problem so quickly, but, what I did have in mind considering the fact that I've just started and am very new to QiGong, is to introduce more specific practices or forms that might be salubrious to my condition.

I practice some exercises from Ken Cohen's DVDs and CDs, namely, a warm-up exercise that consists of synchronizing the inhalation and exhalation with the raising and lowering of the arms; Cleansing the Bone Marrow; a standing meditation (which I do for about 15 minutes) with four different postures and then rocking gently on the feet; circling movements both clockwise and anti-clockwise over the dan tien; and lightly striking the kidneys from the back.

abdominal breathing is still basic..

That is the way to go. It also prevent constipation too. If you don't know how to do it, then you must find out how...!!! ;)

Okay, I guess this was unavoidable. Well then, let's get down to the nitty-gritty of it: In the beginning, it would alternate between constipation and diarrhea and was extremely disconcerting. Over the course of the last few years it has improved dramatically, but is still quite troublesome. A synopsis of the current state of affairs:

On average, I'd say I have to empty my bowels around 4 or 5 times a day, although sometimes it could even go up to 8 or 9 or even more. Most of this occurs in the morning. I usually wake up at around 4:30 or 5 with a strong urge to empty my bowels, the result of which is usually not very well-formed, and sometimes I can even observe small, undigested pieces of food. I then usually have to go again for at least 2 or 3 more times over the course of the next two hours; drinking water and stretching usually helps facilitate this. So, it's as if my digestion were very weak and couldn't expel all of the waste in one time. Then, later on in the day, a similar process can repeat itself. Sometimes this is accompanied by pain and discomfort, but mostly, it isn't.

Another curious thing is that I have to burp a lot at times, and when I do, I have to position myself upright, otherwise I won't be able expel air.

Foods that aggravate this: deep-fried, whole grains (unless in moderate amounts), eating fruits after a meal, pastries, heavily-processed foods, and, cucumbers and most raw vegetables (unless in moderation).

Bwahahahaha what an ironic coincidence :P

Yes I feel as if I know well what you are describing and believe myself to share it. I myself am a fruitarian and lately I've been hitting the grapes rather hard but I'm noticing shortly after ingestion i'll get gas, pain, and i'll shit out grape juice and skins. not very pleasant. I've also noticed undigested particles with others foods (mainly vegetables). For me it's very similar to when I do a Salt Water Flush, stuff just moves through me very quickly.

Now if we were to look at this from an Ayurvedic standpoint one would say you have excess Vata. You're probably on the thin side, irregular digestion, problems with worry and anxiety and low endurance. Or so they label symptoms of excess Vata, i was labeled the same way. Their suggestion is on warm soft "gooey" foods. Whole Raw Milk, cooked processed grains, etc etc. You may want to try sum raw milk or raw yogurt temporarily for the probiotic value. Thats saved my digestion in the past. They also suggest calming and soothing practices as well as food. Vata is "movement", the element of air (gas in GI tract), they would say you have too much "movement" in body and mind and would likely prescribe remedies to "calm" and "soothe" you. So yes meditation, breathwork, listening to relaxing music, laughing, playing, etc all would likely help you balance.

From the standpoint of chemisty, it sounds like a pancreatic weakness. Have you tried digestive enzymes? If you try them and it brings relief then you can bet your pancreas is weak. If thats the case you may want to try and herbal formula. Also is you notice sugar problems especially, you may also have an adrenal weakness.

If you have a particlar problem digesting fats you may have a liver weakness. Try a liver/gallblader flush and maybe some tonifying herbs.

If you have a problem with proteins or have acid reflux it could be that your body is too acidic. When the stomach is running low on bicarbonates (due to them being used elsewhere to neutralize acids) the stomach will not release HCL because it won't have the bicarbonates to neutralize it which would allow the HCL to eat through your system. Drinking alkaline water (or adding alluminum free baking soda to you water), or drinking "green juices" can help in this area.

I've personally been experimenting with herbs lately and they seem to have an effect. I've been taking a pancreas and spleen formula, we'll see how that works.

I know you're probably not aspiring to be a fruitarian like me but I've found that most "solid" or "non-juicy" fruits like dates, (dried)figs and bananas work fine, where the more juicy fruits (grapes, berries) cause problems for me. But it's good that your bowels are working. It sux that your not digesting you food properly (which is probably why your body's trying to get rid of it so fast), but it's good your bowels are keeping up strong.

The last piece of advise is just general. When you eat chew your food thoroughly and make sure to mix your saliva with it before swallowing, always stop before full, never eat when mentally disturbed (angry, sad, worried), drink 1-2 cups of water before each meal, get plenty of EXERCISE!!, stay hydrated (shoot for 3-4 litres of water/herbal tea a day) and don't eat when you're not hungry.

Also it may help to consult an Ayurvedic or Tcm practitioner or an herbalist/acupuncturist. I would say in terms of qigong, the standing exercises would probably work the best, or any endurance workout. Exercise is a critical part of digestion, and like you said, water helps too, stay hydrated!. I know there was someone on here who healed themselves of something practicing Baguazhang. Maybe you can talk to him or he'll show up here about that. Again, I would say the standing exercises. I would try standing in horse stance for 20mins before each meal and focusing on the lower dan tien with deep abdominal breathing. Make sure you're sweating, if you not then go lower in the stance. But that along should bring incredible benefit. i hear the shaolin monks used to eat in a particular stance I don't remember if it was horse or something else. But anyway, thats my 2c for the moment. If i think of anything else i feel of terrible importance to add, i will.

Best of luck to you sir!

-Astral

have you checked your stomach for H. Pylori? If not - do it ASAP, the breath test is easy and cheap. Your symptoms are similar to this bacteria outbreak.

Be careful with any kind of conscious breathing. If you have GERD or even occasional hearburn, the breathing can mess up with your sphincter between stomach and esophagus. I'm talking from my experience.

Try eating more liquid food: soups and liquid porridge/rice.

Must thing - probiotics and enzymes. If you haven't taken yet - do that ASAP.

I used to have heaps of stomach troubles, what fixed me up was abdominal massages such as chi nei tsang and mayan abdominal massage :closedeyes:

have you checked your stomach for H. Pylori? If not - do it ASAP, the breath test is easy and cheap. Your symptoms are similar to this bacteria outbreak.

Be careful with any kind of conscious breathing. If you have GERD or even occasional hearburn, the breathing can mess up with your sphincter between stomach and esophagus. I'm talking from my experience.

Try eating more liquid food: soups and liquid porridge/rice.

Must thing - probiotics and enzymes. If you haven't taken yet - do that ASAP.

This brings up a question. Two actually.

Can salt water flushes mess up other sphincters thus causing a condition where stuff travels too quickly through the system? That actually could be my problem cause I've used those ALOT ;p

The other question is the dependance on digestive enzymes. They work, no doubt, but if you relieve your pancreas from having to make them would it not get weaker and thus cause a dependance?

Definately second the probiotics and enzymes in terms of efficiency on symptoms though XD

-Astral

This brings up a question. Two actually.

Can salt water flushes mess up other sphincters thus causing a condition where stuff travels too quickly through the system? That actually could be my problem cause I've used those ALOT ;p

The other question is the dependance on digestive enzymes. They work, no doubt, but if you relieve your pancreas from having to make them would it not get weaker and thus cause a dependance?

Definately second the probiotics and enzymes in terms of efficiency on symptoms though XD

-Astral

Can't say anything about the salt water flushes. Salt may contain some minerals that might affect the workings of a body including sphincter muscles. For me the flushes method sounds a bit on a radical side, but this is a personal preference only.

I agree that we don't want to get pancreas weaker. I still think the supplement enzymes can be useful at least short term. If a person has a leaky gut problem, for instance, the GI tract needs as much help as possible until the leaky gut gets better. Pancreas may produce enzymes but they may get lost in a damaged GI tract. But eventually the anzymes should be phased out.

Hi TenebrousMystery

I'm truly sorry to hear what you are going through. Having been through some similar situations with my digestion I know how frustrating and nerve racking it can be. There is a way through it though. I saw doctors, took herbs/supplements and tried acupuncture and nothing seemed to work (for me at least). I then ordered this book from amazon called Curing IBS Naturally with Chinese Medicine. I honestly didn't expect much because I had already been to see an acupuncturist. This book changed everything for me when it came to my digestion(and mood). Almost everything you mentioned above is talked about in the book and what you can do to remedy it. It takes a while but it is WELL worth it.

Somewhat out of the box response here.

I've been through my fair share of 'digestive issues' but turns out there was really more to it. It was not really solvable by diet or exercise.

When I make a triad out of your respiration, digestion, and elimination. It's respiration and elimination that feel weakest, they cause that triad to collapse.

Here are a few things that tested weak energetically:

1. Lungs. Parasites at the cellular level. Strengthened and deleted. Lymphatic connection to the lungs strengthened. The lungs and large colon have a very direct relationship, one can weaken the other.

2. Suppression of grief, sadness, loss at the emotional level, also corrected.

3. An issue around money and finances (not having enough) causing you to worry.

4. Make you strong to any misinformation, misinterpretation, and wrong answers. Misinformation comes up as the first weakness, corrected.

5. An energetic correction to get your mind out of your body. Our minds put limitations on our physical intelligence.

FYI, I have been trained in Yuen Method. Much faster to clear these things energetically. Qigong is great but too slow for some of these kinds of issues. It doesn't have to take months and months to get over these kind of ailments or disease. We can literally change on the spot.

• Like 1

Furthermore, I don't eat out, stay clear from processed foods, and try to buy mostly organic produce. I would even say that I hardly buy foodstuffs with a list of ingredients.

All based on my own (lengthy) experimentation.... screw any organized system.

METHOD 1: Sit down on a chair in front of a tv/laptop/ pc with your favorite miniseries. Rest with your elbows on the armsrests and aim your palms at your navel area (move up and down a few inches once every few hours if you feel little to nothing anymore, along the Ren channel). Give it 50 hours or so and there should be a considerable improvement of your digestion. In the mean time you will probably feel sensations in your palms (intense cold, sometimes moving up into the arms; pressure; tingling) and stomach (gurgling, pain, nauseau). It can take sessions of several hours before these sensations develop.

This is basically Zhan Zhuang. Don't worry about these a straight back, etc. It will work. Worked for me. Improved digestion dramatically. Still a lot of nervous tension though so I still need quite a bit of work.

METHOD 2: Lie down on the bed or couch. Focus on the navel area while breathing in and out. Visualize something down there... I usually use a bright sun. It will create the same reactions in the stomach, but it's a little different. The palms do SOMETHING... but nobody seems to know exactly what. There's only some basic mythology about it.

This is the Microcosmic Orbit basic practice.

METHOD 3: Lie down on the bed or couch. Combine method 1 and 2. Very easy to maintain for hours in this position, while standing posture tends to drive people crazy within minutes after a while (virtually the same effectiveness it seems to me; early sensations occured only slightly faster while standing...). Even after Method 1 had little result anymore (the non-focused Zhan Zhuang version), this Method 3 still produced intense stomach pain rather quickly. All gone now.

In this same way I removed huge pain at my heart area (middle tan tien) when focusing there. In that case Method 3 proved much more powerful than just Method 1 (only suited when the energy system is open it seems). Within a few hours the pain in the heart disappeared, my dreams improved dramatically and it also improved my digestion (could feel energy from the blockage flow downward, causing immediate gurglings in my intestines).

Don't know if all this works for you. Maybe you have blockages somewhere else. Look for painful spots and knots along the Ren Mai channel. Remove them through acupressure and Method 3. Works like a charm, at least with me. Acupressure works much faster than the above qigong systems, but doesn't go as deep. But in acute cases it the first way to go. And sometimes it needs to be used in between. Often when working on the middle or upper dan tien I feel energy moving downward along the Ren channel, only to find that a painful knot around my tan tien has reappeared. Rub it for a few minutes (which usually causes spasms with me in my right leg, while feeling something move along the kidney channel there) and it's all fine again.

Edited by FixXxer1845

The palms do SOMETHING... but nobody seems to know exactly what. There's only some basic mythology about it.

To my understanding, the meridians end at the palms and at the feet, so energy is well conducted from the palms..

If you're currently working too hard, i suggest taking a break. My digestion used to be a bit screwed up from mostly worrying and rushing around all the time.

Whether you can manage a holiday or not, definitely pick up some qigong - from my experience go for a spontaneous practice and also practice standing meditation focused on complete relaxation.

To my understanding, the meridians end at the palms and at the feet, so energy is well conducted from the palms..

Yeah, the pericardium channel is specifically linked to the lao gong palm point... But what is it exactly that these points do when you point it at another acupuncture point or a body part... More than "exchanging energy" you won't find. Certainly no scientific literature on it.

The thing is: I can't figure out what the ice cold energy is moving from the palm point deep into and up the arms... or sometimes seemingly via various other meridians. To me it seems the lao gong points in those cases draw yin or negative energy away from that body part and send it back to one of the tan tiens to be transformed, possibly the middle. Can't feel it past my upper arms though, so don't know what's happening. And now I don't have those sensations at all anymore... Made place for warmth a long time ago.

Same question with tingling and pressure over certain points... what's precisely happening? No one knows. Those who say they do, don't. At least they haven't written it down.

Details...

the sea point is at the elbow/knee, so it gets tough to "feel" those things once they "hit the ocean" and are much easier to feel before they go deep.

I've had very minor issues once or twice in the past with digestion, and reinforcing spleen points with moxa did a very good job. "when the five zang are diseased, select from the 12 yuan-source points" (from the spiritual pivot.) sp3 is good for treating the primary deficiency and subsequent excess that is often generated; sp4 is a good combination because of its focus on harmonizing the middle jiao.

the spleen abhors damp while the stomach abhors dryness, so a spleen qi deficiency wont react well to lots of grapes or stuff like that.

as far as teas go, try a moderate amount of pu-erh regularly.

qigong and other exercises aside, I would recommend a good sweat every day, an increased cardiovascular rate will help up the metabolic rate and that absolutely has a positive effect, motivating blood, lymph, qi.

a good moxa combination that might also help would be one I stumbled on from trunk's prayer mudras, namely sp4-p6 combo, at a desk & chair you can assume a praying posture with 2 moxas strategically placed so that they are in between the points on each side, a penetrating vessel focus that also has a good harmonizing effect on the middle jiao.

oh, one other thing that just popped into my head is the kidney posture from max's 5e standing - place SI4 on LV13 (sp mu point)...sure its "kidney focused" but the connection to the sp mu point is not ambiguous ;)

:blink: I think particularly when it comes to digestion, one should try the obvious first--change what you eat. I'd start off by eating meat, in moderation. Avoid vegetable oils except for olive and coconut oil. Any vegetables dress with oil and vinegar, and don't neglect garlic and onions. Cook vegetables that aren't leafy, and even some of the tougher ones that are, like dandelion greens and kale. Pressure cookers can be used for non-leaf vegetables. Leafy greens can be quickly sauteed in olive oil with garlic and then add broth and steam for a minute or two.

Avoid starchy foods with allergens, like grains. Rice is probably okay. Bananas, potatoes, oatmeal and beans are better, but try to get your calories from meat and oils, not starches. Eat tons of (cooked) vegetables and eat minimal amounts of fruit. Initially stay away from all citrus and eggs and dairy, add them back in slowly in small amounts to see how your body reacts.

Eat traditionally fermented foods like old-fashioned sauerkraut and kefir.

Digestive enzymes, quality probiotics, fish oil, MSM are good. Check to see if you're anemic on a vegetarian diet--you might need iron or copper supplementation.

Sign in to follow this