Seth Ananda

Would people Like a Buddha Bum sub forum?

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Bums prefer a DharmaBum sub forum,

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Who gives a @#!*!

Let's leave just the way it is. Everyone knows that if Buddhism is mentioned in any thread, the resident Buddhists will swarm to it to make certain everyone understands the absolute Buddhist truth. :lol: :lol:

Thats fair, there is a long track record of that happening here, especially from certain members.

But to also be fair, when Buddhism is mentioned by non Buddhists, it is often misrepresented, and at least some people like to see an accurate portrayal of their tradition...

And another point, when Buddhism is mentioned there are those here who swarm to discredit it, and one person in particular, who has chosen to hound every statement made by a Buddhist Tao bums member here, even when he is not even mentioning Buddhism...

But to also be fair, when Buddhism is mentioned by non Buddhists, it is often misrepresented, and at least some people like to see an accurate portrayal of their tradition...

And this is why I have already mentioned this in one of the recent threads in the "Taoist Discussions" forum.

I think we have done a pretty good job so far in not invoking negative feelings from members with different belief systems.

I actually enjoy having discussions with our Buddhist members because I always try to find a way to understand the concepts from a Taoist point of view.

And like I said, if a "Buddhist Discussions" forum were created I probably wouldn't involve myself in the discussions unless someone started saying negative things about Taoism.

BTT

Buddha bums is (well pretty much)

i.e. yes we are really keen on the new forum idea to balance and give us

Taoist Discussion <-> Tao Bums <-> Buddhist Discussion

:wub: to Seth

Glad to hear this Mal. At first, I was ambivalent. Now, after seeing how well the Taoist Discussion forum is working I am all in favor of trying a Buddhist Discussion forum and I'm excited to see how it works out. I do struggle to follow some of the more esoteric discussions but my life has been enriched by some Buddhist practices (some aspects of the eightfold path), so I'm looking forward to learning more.

Glad to hear this Mal. At first, I was ambivalent. Now, after seeing how well the Taoist Discussion forum is working I am all in favor of trying a Buddhist Discussion forum and I'm excited to see how it works out. I do struggle to follow some of the more esoteric discussions but my life has been enriched by some Buddhist practices (some aspects of the eightfold path), so I'm looking forward to learning more.

And I might even look in on it now and again.

Thanks guys and gals!

my main concern is that "buddhist discussion" as a whole big category under "tao lounge" opens the door to requests for additional big categories for many other religions, paths. not sure i want to open that door.

could a compromise be a "buddha bums" subforum of "general discussion" or "taoist discussion"?

sean

• Like 2

my main concern is that "buddhist discussion" as a whole big category under "tao lounge" opens the door to requests for additional big categories for many other religions, paths. not sure i want to open that door.

could a compromise be a "buddha bums" subforum of "general discussion" or "taoist discussion"?

sean

Sounds good. I might add because it has a history of contention there could be a special Buddhist posse of moderators created. They could rule with an iron fist or soft one (hopefully settling on the middle way). But they would be the final authority and regular moderators wouldn't have to deal with it.

But where could we find such Buddhists :) ?

sean

Excellent consideration that I must admit, I failed to consider.

Yes, I think a sub of "General Discussions" would be excellent. Most of the Buddist threads are in General Discussions already (since we have had moderators).

sean

Very good point - I'd probably keep it in "general."

Otherwise, it looks like we're suggesting Buddhism falls within the general category of Daoism - that might not be a popular message.

Sounds good. I might add because it has a history of contention there could be a special Buddhist posse of moderators created. They could rule with an iron fist or soft one (hopefully settling on the middle way). But they would be the final authority and regular moderators wouldn't have to deal with it.

But where could we find such Buddhists :) ?

For sake of argument, modding usually has little to do with subject matter and more to do with presentation.

It might be better to allow the 'real' Buddhists to have the freedom to participate without needing to moderate.

The current team, I think, is sufficiently unbiased to handle it.

That said, I don't mean to say that I am opposed to adding to the team, in fact, I can think of a name or two...

:)

• Like 1

I am slowly reading this thread and got to this post.

I discussed it in an honest manner, by stating the truth: that actual Buddhist enlightenment is a first step in some Taoist alchemy schools. If the whole point of Buddhism is contained within Taoism, and Taoism is serving more than just that purpose, then it is greater Buddhism. It is Buddhism + a lot more...but without the excess garbage, such as attachment to false beliefs and misinterpretations.

I wanted to share a thing or two about this that I've learned recently.

First off...a lot of this comes from Master Nan Hai-Chin who has been validated as Enlightened by 4 different traditions. One of those traditions being Taoism (another being Confucianism for those who - like me - weren't aware Confucians also have their own spiritual cultivation traditions and practices).

Master Nan says when he first experienced Enlightenment he cried because he did not have all these miraculous attainments that are so talked about in Taoist, Confucian and Buddhist traditions. He traveled to Tibet and studied in Esoteric Buddhism.

He says that purification and transformation of the body can have it's own timeframe (I'm paraphrasing here) compared to one's realization. The attainment of Complete Taoist Immortality (similar to Buddhist 3 bodies) can come either before, at the same time or *after* achieving Enlightenment. It's all due to one's past and current Karma, Virtue and Merit. It may take time for the body to catch up to one's actual Enlightenment. That's why it's exceedingly rare to find a sage who has cultivated to fruition all 3 dharma bodies.

Enlightenment Realization is not dependent upon have a completely transformed body. It will come when it comes.

This means that Taoist Internal Alchemy is neither inferior nor superior to Buddhist Alchemy techniques. They are different methods designed to help you get to the same place.

Also...I choose to see it as something that takes the stress off of me in worry about whether I've "attained" enough or whether if I'm lacking in some sort of this or that "attainment" it means I won't reach my goal of Enlightenment. It will come when it will come when my practice, virtue and merit all come together finally. And that process takes time so sit back, let go, I'm in for an interesting ride. smile.gif

• Like 1