Seth Ananda

Would people Like a Buddha Bum sub forum?

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Bums prefer a DharmaBum sub forum,

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Who gives a @#!*!

Not a fan of this segregation in disucssion. One of the things I loved about the bums was that all sorts were discussed in the one forum. Alas, that is no longer the case.

If a new Buddhist subforum were to be created it would be another forum I'd probably rarely find the time to read :(

• Like 1

Really? I am certainly Interested in this... especially in learning about the Wu Wei teachings which are apparently like a Taoist Dzogchen?...

Plus Taoist energy cultivation practices are [to me] the best I have come across, apart from the teachings of the Qero...

yeah there are so many similarities that the differences become sorta negligible from a certain point of view.

dzogchen is totally daoist in nature, and both tibetan buddhism and daoism have their deep roots in shamanism

can you link to qero info that you think would be good for beginners? i know i could google it but i would rather go with what you recommend than sift through search engine results knowing absolutely nothing about it. thanks!

there could be a subsection for vapid buddhist rants and proselytizing and such

Good point.

(And it would likely be well used. Hehehe.)

Good point.

(And it would likely be well used. Hehehe.)

ive seen a lot of buddhist talk from both sides of the fence here, so i think it would probably be worth trying. and it would give all you hardcore daoists an added layer of protection from the big B-word! like a dental dam for your spirit

Perhaps someone could volunteer to moderate a Buddhist subforum? I have a sneaky suspiscion that more Buddhist discussions will pop up, as more traffic is directed to TTB as new folks register.

Just trying to think of work arounds and to express sensitivity for the hardcore Taoist practitioners -_- as well as the Buddhists who like to chat. ;)

thats a really good point (that first one). buddhists already have enough places to type the wild dharma on the internet. i just deleted my vote for yes.

it would also attract the very kind of buddhists that drive you guys nuts, who search for "dharma" and see that there is a group of daoists calling themselves tao bums and then they will want to rage the wild dharma all over us here. i can see it now.

Edited by anamatva

Let me add one other thought here: I've been aware of this discussion board for a year and occasionally have dropped in to peek. But I only recently finally decided to join the forum. What held me back for a long time was that it *seemed* to be a Daoist forum only and so as someone who incorporates more Zen Buddhist practice in my life, I felt like it might not be the place for me. Granted, the only thing that stopped myself was me, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to perceive the forum this way.

That's one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is this: I may incorporate a lot of Zen Buddhist practice (zazen and many aspects of Mahayana Buddhist philosophy), I still couldn't reeeeeaallly call myself a "card-carrying Buddhist." And that is why The Tao Bums forum nevertheless still interested me. In other words, perhaps having a Buddhist sub-forum would attract those interested in Buddhism but not in a hardcore way. Most (though not all) Buddhist forums I've come across I find, um... very limiting... and limited. Perhaps here is an opportunity to appeal to individuals who have one foot in and one foot outside of traditional Buddhism. Or people interested in Buddhism but are still exploring.

I know if I had seen something like that here,I would've joined up here a year ago!

Just wanted to add that perspective to the mix here for consideration.

~josh

I know I myself would post certain straight up Buddhist musings or questions and join in on the latest 2 billion page E%DO thread, But I would still spend plenty of time in General discussion...

Also Dwai, Buddhist proselytisers could be moved from general discussion to Buddha bums! Get your proselytising Buddhist Ass out of here! lol

Seth,

Have you tried messing with the great VH or Mikz?rolleyes.gifblink.gifunsure.gif

I voted no. 1 more buttons to hit. 2 Buddhism tends to inform so much of our concepts that it's bound to heavily creep into the open discussion anyway.

• Like 2

I think all of the buddhists who come here should be stoned . . . it might make more sense to them

[EDIT]

no, not that we should throw stones at them

err . . . you know . . . nevermind

cue the laugh track

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 1

Let me add one other thought here: I've been aware of this discussion board for a year and occasionally have dropped in to peek. But I only recently finally decided to join the forum. What held me back for a long time was that it *seemed* to be a Daoist forum only and so as someone who incorporates more Zen Buddhist practice in my life, I felt like it might not be the place for me. Granted, the only thing that stopped myself was me, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to perceive the forum this way.

That's one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is this: I may incorporate a lot of Zen Buddhist practice (zazen and many aspects of Mahayana Buddhist philosophy), I still couldn't reeeeeaallly call myself a "card-carrying Buddhist." And that is why The Tao Bums forum nevertheless still interested me. In other words, perhaps having a Buddhist sub-forum would attract those interested in Buddhism but not in a hardcore way. Most (though not all) Buddhist forums I've come across I find, um... very limiting... and limited. Perhaps here is an opportunity to appeal to individuals who have one foot in and one foot outside of traditional Buddhism. Or people interested in Buddhism but are still exploring.

I know if I had seen something like that here,I would've joined up here a year ago!

Just wanted to add that perspective to the mix here for consideration.

~josh

Cool, nice to hear.

I also love the diversity of people and conversations here at TTB's. The community here is great. Of course there would be plenty of Buddhists still posting in general discussion, I would, but it also gives us a place to have more 'specificly' Buddhist conversations which can get quite lengthy, with out cluttering up General discussion...

Seth. I would volunteer to mod, but my track record of level headedness with Vmarco and in a few others makes me think someone else would be better... :D:(

• Like 1

Seth,

Have you tried messing with the great VH or Mikz?rolleyes.gifblink.gifunsure.gif

When I came here, I was a Taoist loving Kashmir Shavite. And I found those two absolutely Infuriating lol...

But a big part of that was me wanting Buddhism to be a path to the same place.

I Have for a long time loved comparative Mysticism, and most Mystical traditions fit together fairly easily, But I could find no easy way to fit in Buddha's teachings.

Slowly in conversations with them, cow and xabir, as well as endless reading of books and articles, the logic painfully won me over.

So now I am a Taoist and KS loving Buddhist! :D

Edited by Seth Ananda

So Mods, Directors, Sean?

What do you guys think about a Buddha/Dharma Bums subforum?

Who is it up too?

What reservations may their be?

Will it add or detract to the already considerably high levels of Awesomeness that is THE TAO BUMS! ?

:)

When I came here, I was a Taoist loving Kashmir Shavite. And I found those two absolutely Infuriating lol...

But a big part of that was me wanting Buddhism to be a path to the same place.

I Have for a long time loved comparative Mysticism, and most Mystical traditions fit together fairly easily, But I could find no easy way to fit in Buddha's teachings.

Slowly in conversations with them, cow and xabir, as well as endless reading of books and articles, the logic painfully won me over.

So now I am a Taoist and KS loving Buddhist! :D

"So now I am a Taoist and KS loving Buddhist"

Whore!

;)

So Mods, Directors, Sean?What do you guys think about a Buddha/Dharma Bums subforum?

For the moment

Letting the Taoist Discussion section mature...

no new subforums for now, ideas welcome

~~~ TheTaoBums Moderation Team ~~~

Since the creation of this new exclusively-Taoist-focused discussion section, there's been understandable enthusiastic ideas about, "hey!, what about a [insert specific Taoist topic] subsection?!?" ... and those ideas are sometimes good ones.

However, first we want to let this section take root and mature as-is through the end of this year and will review the issue of "if / which new subforum/s" around Chinese new year 2012. In the mean time, let's focus on promoting quality discussion here and I think that the shape of the natural growth of that will largely determine what is next. :)

- Trunk

~~~ Mod Squad out ~~~

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/20157-letting-the-taoist-discussion-section-mature/page__view__findpost__p__285608

Ok, but would making a Buddha Bums sub forum really get in the way of the 'Maturing' process of the Taoist forum?

I think it could contribute to more peace here at TTB. Lots of people seem to get annoyed at the lengthy Buddhist postings, and become hostile towards them... :unsure:

Seth :)

Ok, but would making a Buddha Bums sub forum really get in the way of the 'Maturing' process of the Taoist forum?

I think it could contribute to more peace here at TTB. Lots of people seem to get annoyed at the lengthy Buddhist postings, and become hostile towards them... :unsure:

Seth :)

I'm not sure I get annoyed exactly. But I find it funny that a lot of buddhist postings end up like

blueflagiris_flower_lg.jpg

When the point they seem (to me) to be trying to make is Iris2_300.jpg

Or maybe that's not it and I should read more.

IMO the Taoist stuff is a bit more practical :-)

• Like 1

IMO the Taoist stuff is a bit more practical :-)

on the one hand, i do think if you went on a respectable buddhist forum you would find lots of practical, pragmatic information. i think you would also find peaceful people who want to grow spiritually and talk to each other about their progress. i think that the buddhists that come to a daoist forum to post are naturally going to exhibit a little less of the openness that buddhists are known for. they might even be stupid combative buddhists who just want to start shit. i don't personally know why buddhists go on about buddhism in a daoist forum, but i don't think its a, um, statistically significant subsection of buddhists. its probably like the squeaky wheel that makes a lot of noise. (i just saw a little dharma wheel wobbling in my mind :) )

on the other hand, i don't post on any buddhist forums so i wouldn't know. hahahah talking to buddhists drives me nuts. orthodoxy! what a concept

• Like 1

i don't personally know why buddhists go on about buddhism in a daoist forum, but i don't think its a, um, statistically significant subsection of buddhists.

Um well its actually the General forum and it states all perspectives are welcome.

I wasn't Buddhist when I got here, but I personally love the Bums, and have made friends here, Buddhist and Non Buddhist alike.

But the attitude you express is why I think a sub-forum is a good Idea. Not that I would stop posting in General... :)

Um well its actually the General forum and it states all perspectives are welcome.

I wasn't Buddhist when I got here, but I personally love the Bums, and have made friends here, Buddhist and Non Buddhist alike.

But the attitude you express is why I think a sub-forum is a good Idea. Not that I would stop posting in General... :)

oh sorry, i was using forum to mean website. oops. i mean if you went to a buddhist website, or why do buddhists post on this website in general. sorry for the confusion.

i agree i would not stop posting anywhere else just cause there was a place for buddhists. although if i wanted to talk about buddhism with buddhists i would join a buddhist website. but it might be nice to have a place for the dharma here. i especially like your ideas about comparative studies, since my own path is a fusion of buddhism, daoism, and shaivism. we probably have a lot in common. but im going to bed right now. gnite