VCraigP

Disinformation campaign

I was under the impression this whole site was about distraction :). Also I suspect everyone who disagrees with me might be an 'agent' :ninja: of disinformation ;) .

seriously

The board goes through cycles, sometimes it's filled w/ brilliant insights, other times, fluff & ego. The best we can do is create and keep alive (and on target) the best posts.

Its that simple- If you want to improve the board create and answer the quality topics. Page down, find them bump them up, or create thoughtful, non preachy, ones.

• Like 4

If you are trying to change and wake up just about everyone will try to put you back in your confined box because there you are safer and I especially mean the people who love you like friends and family as well as government and society.

Sure. Doesn't mean you have to go back in though:-)

My feeling is if people love you then they'll accept your growth. In some cases it might mean "moving on"..For the oldies, I think most of this stuff is better not being discussed. They probably equate it with something dangerous:-)

As for the industrial/social/political motives against spiritual growth and education, yes that's been understood for a long time IMO.

I would say that the disinfo and distraction is just people who post ridiculous shit to get a reaction by pushing buttons. Then people get sucked/hooked in feeling they need to keep the board clear of fallacy. This ends up being a distraction, causes bad vibes which turns people off from the site. Who can be bothered to engage in fully negative interactions all the time. Bor-ring!

So, yes, easily there is dis-info being posted which causes distraction. The negativity I think is the biggest distractor since it pulls people into pointless conversations. It's not so simple as people doing it on purpose, however. I think they just really want someone to talk to and that's the only way they are guaranteed a response. It works! :angry:

Was "mamber" a typo, or a member with mammaries, or disinformation. Hey, I'm just joshing around,...a word attributed to a guy named Josh circa 1840. (disinfo? or true?)

V

Hehehe. Yeah, I noticed that typo earlier but decided to not correct it. Sometimes I am mistaken for Josh.

But I do understand the reason for your post. However, I think there are enough discriminating members (See, I spelled it correctly) here who will call them to task if it appears that it is being done intentionally.

Your other comments are worthy of discussion but I won't discuss them here. That is why I started that thread concerning objectivity.

On the other hand, if a member is posting something s/he honestly (you like my usage of that word?) believes to be true but we don't believe it to be so we can question the person to try to find out why they believe what they do.

You're dwelling in paranoid schizophrenic territory here, OP.

You can find almost anything on the internet and there is absolutely no way to suppress it so "the powers at be", even if they had any interest to do so (which they don't) are powerless in this regard.

The only thing you should be wary of is the armchair gurus playing the one-up game.

Personally, after lurking on the forums daily for months the *only* good thing I got out of it is Terry Dunn's FPCK system- but I'm not going to rant.

• Like 1

Well who would've thunk it? Right there we have a post about Jesus being the way and Taoism a sin.

Hahaha. Sin = Maya. If you bother to dig into it metaphorically. And Maya is just your own game. You can wake up any time you choose:-)

Still, it annoys me personally. Until I imagine that Jesus was a shamanic Taoist dude. That works:-)

Hello folks,

I originally posted that I was getting tired of being called a troll, which I am. I would suggest that if people really want to move forward, rather than keep stirring up the same old ****, then the best way to do that is to let it go and start having meaningful dialogues. Too many topics that have potential for deep insight are being lost in all the threats, insults, and general disregard for others feelings. I am more than happy to have a conversation with anyone that has respect for my beliefs, who is willing to say, I see that's how you view things, this is how I view them, rather than say, you are wrong and this is why.

Right and wrong are subjective terms, they have no real meaning, the only thing that's actually there is one person's idea and the others. I would encourage people to remember that.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

There is disinformation everywhere.

I think it is far more likely and more common that disinformation comes from people who, themselves, are coming at a topic with only limited knowledge and experience. They think they are doing the world a favor by sharing what they know, but since they are coming at it from such a limited perspective, they are doing more harm than good, but they don't realize it. For these people, it isn't that they know there is a higher truth and they are trying to prevent others from seeking it by planting false information- it's that the information, which is really "false", is, to them, "true", and, in fact, "the" higher truth.

At the risk of falling into paranoid schizophrenia, I do think there are people out there who do possess a higher knowledge. Or, perhaps, they don't possess the higher knowledge, but they know of its existence. And, in a strategy to control people for whatever reason, actively engage in a disinformation campaign. Pointing people away from the knowledge, away from themselves, or at least distracting people. These people must reach the information first, and if they can't have the information, then no one will.

And then, since this is the internet, there are going to be all kinds of people with issues that they can't work out in the real world, so they come to work them out there.

There are people who disguise themselves.

People who adopt the names of others.

And in general cause a ruckus.

But they aren't consciously trying to cause problems or knowingly spread false information.

That, I think, is the difference.

An agent (of aforementioned disinformation) has agency. The agent knows what they are doing, and are aware of the consequences.

People with a misplaced sense of self righteousness or entitlement, though they may be doing the same thing as the disinformation agent, know not what they do.

I think a good agent of disinformation would know this, and would know ways of manipulating these people. So coming to TTB's and posting knowingly false info, or going to a political rally and spreading false info may not be on their list. But they WOULD exploit organizations which tend to attract "followers", people who don't think for themselves, and don't want to think for themselves, use that to disseminate their message, then sit back, and let the followers do all the legwork.

[edit] And this process is not limited to spirituality or anything like that. It could be business, politics, and who is in charge of bringing snacks to the homeowner's association meetings.

For instance, the "higher knowledge" I mentioned earlier might really just be the true figures surrounding global temperature changes, which, if exposed, could influence opinions surrounding a certain popular movement :ninja:

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Who are we kidding here.

Not one of us is ultimately right.

Every written truth will someday be untruth.

We are all culprits of disinformation.

This is just a big mess of cooperative mind-dumping.

Thoughts, theories, egos, emotions and concepts squishing around in a great big, smelly muck-pit.

But good compost grows lovely flowers.

:D

yep +1 for Stig.

i dont mind getting knee deep in the compost

as i love the fragrance of flowers.

my feelings getting hurt? aint gonna happen.

aint gonna feel threatened either.

when i am wrong about sth , its all good as i ended

up learning sth. that is a good thing.

i dont take myself all that seriously,

nor do i take you guys all that seriously either.

discussion on TTB is the best i know of.

edit>if i "pick on" someone , that is becoz i respect them and have an understanding that they dont take it too personal here. i only like to butt heads with the strong.

intentional disinformation imo is insidious.

i am guilty of the non-intentional variety

hoping it leads to clarity.

Edited by zerostao

discussion on TTB is the best i know of.

agreed. As much as I do learn a lot of things, get directed to different books and things, it's interesting to hear what other people's experiences are and also to get some more authoritative opinions on vague experiences.

I would venture to guess that few people here know too many people that have any clue about most of this stuff. Plus, it's a good testing ground, putting ideas through the fire...

agreed. As much as I do learn a lot of things, get directed to different books and things, it's interesting to hear what other people's experiences are and also to get some more authoritative opinions on vague experiences.

I would venture to guess that few people here know too many people that have any clue about most of this stuff. Plus, it's a good testing ground, putting ideas through the fire...

there are great gems all thru this forum. i do feel a certain kinship and friendship with many here. and i have never met more than a very few in person. this place is a meeting of the minds (sometimes spirit)

Who are we kidding here.

Not one of us is ultimately right.

Every written truth will someday be untruth.

We are all culprits of disinformation.

This is just a big mess of cooperative mind-dumping.

Thoughts, theories, egos, emotions and concepts squishing around in a great big, smelly muck-pit.

But good compost grows lovely flowers.

:D

Stig you are ultimately right!

(WARNING : this message may include disinformation)

• Like 1

On the other hand, if a member is posting something s/he honestly (you like my usage of that word?) believes to be true but we don't believe it to be so we can question the person to try to find out why they believe what they do.

I think "Honest Belief" definitely qualifies as an oxymoron.

V

How so?

Seriously? You do not recognize that "honest" and "belief" are direct opposites? If a belief were true it would not be a belief.

V

I'd like to say for someone who knew a small amount about Eastern Philosophy, meditation, Chi, Kundalini etc. This site has been an invaluable resource. As far as disinformation and agendas go its the internet. Not sure its really possible to fully escape it.

• Like 1

Seriously? You do not recognize that "honest" and "belief" are direct opposites? If a belief were true it would not be a belief.

V

Yes. Seriously.

You can believe something honestly.

You can also believe in something dishonestly.

The act of belief does not have much bearing on its veracity. And its veracity (or ability to be verified at a later date with an increase in technology or awareness) does not have much bearing on the strength of any belief.

I can believe in God. God may or may not exist. We may or may not discover God at a later date in an objective, verifiable way.

I can believe in gravity even if it does exist. I can believe that gravity is a field. I can believe that gravity is a dent in the fabric of space-time. I can believe that gravity is what we call billions of invisible gremlins that hold us back from reaching the heavens. Those gremlins may decide to quite their job tomorrow. Or we may discover that gravity is caused by my fat uncle.

Though the subjects are oft intertwined, they are still separate categories.

We may stop believing something once we have found it to be true.

We may stop believing something once we have found it to be untrue.

We may start/continue believing something once we have found it to be true.

We may start/continue believing something once we have found it to be untrue.

You can believe honestly. Or you can not.

• Like 2