sean

The 7 day raw transition challenge

The 7 day raw transition challenge  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are you up for the challenge?

• Yes, let's do it!
    • Nahh, not now.
    • Uhh, yeah, how about never?

SEAN - I think I expected the edible part of the fruit to be white because when Cam was out here he and Lezlie got Durian shakes at a Vietnamese restaraunt and they were very white. I don't know if I am going to be able to stomach the yellow buttery sacks, Owl. Dear God. *shuddering* Maybe if I throw it in a shake with a bunch of other things. How do people usually eat Durian Owl? In a bowl with a spoon or something?

I take my hat off to you, man. That yellow stuff may be the funkiest crap you've seen (and smelled, lol) but it is definetly power-packed with goodness.

You know ... not all things taste like they smell ...

*recalls her first encounter with Valerian and laughs*

Basically, since Monday's start I've adhered to about 95% raw with strict discipline to wholesome, no-additive organics ... and at this point I feel the precursor tinglin' to the soon-to-be crazed burst of maniacal energy. :lol:

I was eating a salad tonight with some Annie's dressing and noticed I was eating with MUCH more relish than usual. Also came to my mind that this is one way that you can tell most animals are healthy, or on the way to recovery at least (if applicable). But like the triple-dots I went ahead and prepared my household at the local farmers market. Fun stuff, although being out here in the boonies I was restricted to the traditional sense of selection. Nothing exotic ... unfortunately. Ah, well. *shrugs*

The sprouting was a success and I also soaked up some buckwheat - plan to sprout em' & make bars in the dehydrator.

Sushi Rolls

using Nori seaweed (not roasted, but dried)

fresh Salmon (our family just enjoyed an upstate NY charter on Lk. Ontario)

grated cucumber, carrot, & parsnips

avocado slices

abanero pepper slices (thin & small)

fresh lemon juice

some lettuce, dulse flakes, unpasturized soy sauce (nama shoyu as my preference, though not restricted to)

sometimes I use rice, sometimes not

Plus some quick and simple juicing once or twice a day (which will continue)

Waldorf - 2 apples to 1 stalk celery and 1/2 grapefruit, Potassium Boost - 1/2 handfuls spinach & parsley to 1 stalk celery and 2-3 carrots, Body Cleanser - 2 carrots to 1/2 small cucumber and 1 beet with clove of garlic, Alkaline Special - 1/4 head cabbage to 3 stalks celery and 1 small parsnip

gonna try this one tomorrow -

from "San Francisco LiFE" - Mock Meatloaf

1 Beet grated

1-2 sweet potatoes, grated

1-2 white potatoes, grated

1 turnip, grated

1 onion, cut up

3 celery stalks, with leaves

1 pound raw peanuts

Put each item in a food processor individually. After they are processed, mix together in a large bowl. Refrigerate it overnight. When you are ready for it the next day, you can shape and cut it.

**** I think the only thing I'll add is sea salt and 1 parsnip grated. ****

Wishing you all awesome results,

-Michelle.

Freeform, glad to hear you're in on the challenge! Good to set your goals realistically when around lot's of family. For me this is really hard as well.... also, like Yoda, when I am around old friends and family I have very large drinking responsibilities which has a tendency to lead to 3am cheesesteaks and chilli dogs and soft pretzels and pizza and other garbage that Philly folks pass for food. :D

TwoTrees, awesome report! And interesting recipes, thanks for posting. I think I am a little too lazy for something like this right now, but I'm curious how that faux meatloaf goes.

Ok, so my update. I've already reported on my durian disaster. Fortunately I didn't explode from being the only idiot to ever eat the white part of the durian. I will have to send a postcard to the entire continent of Asia to let them know that someone finally confirmed this.

After my durian shake I snacked on seeds and nuts and fruit. For lunch I had steamed kale, broccoli and mushrooms over brown rice.

Now I just got home and participated in The Durian, Part II. Freeform you are so right, when it's cold it's not as daunting. I had the durian in the fridge the whole day, so I took it out, scooped out the three remaining compartments of goo into a tupperware container, and made a shake with a big blob of durian, raw milk, raw honey, a banana and some strawberries. I must say ... VERY TASTY! I am done talking trash on the King of Fruits. Now I just need to get my hands on that little queen so I can see what a King and Queen shake tastes like. Mmmmm.... B)

Ok, as for my mood. It's only been a little rocky. A little tired and grumpy at a few spots, but so far this has been a piece of organic vegan cake. Also, I think I got a taste of that energy tingle you are talking about TwoTrees. A nice pleasurable shiver up my spine earlier in the day. I think my body is really happy because I normally don't go this long without some kind of refined flour.

Sean

Now I just got home and participated in The Durian, Part II. Freeform you are so right, when it's cold it's not as daunting. I had the durian in the fridge the whole day, so I took it out, scooped out the three remaining compartments of goo into a tupperware container, and made a shake with a big blob of durian, raw milk, raw honey, a banana and some strawberries. I must say ... VERY TASTY! I am done talking trash on the King of Fruits. Now I just need to get my hands on that little queen so I can see what a King and Queen shake tastes like. Mmmmm.... B)

Sean

Good to hear that the King has won over another subject under his reign! BTW, the huge seed within each gooey sack is not to be eaten raw. I've heard that they are consumable after prolonged boiling. Never tried it though. To answer your question, we eat durian using our fingers. Isn't that the most sensual way of enjoying the creamy delicacy?

As for the queen, please be careful when you get ready to squeeze her open between your palms. The purple blood that comes oozing out of her body will stain your clothes for the next millennium.

BTW, a durian drops to the ground on its own when it is ripe. Interestingly, it only does so during the night. So a leisurely stroll after dark in an orchard full of beautiful durian trees is - pure suicide :P

Ok, so has anyone here ever cut open a Durian fruit? All I can say is WTF? I felt like I was in a science fiction movie and was performing surgery on an alien creature. It's the white meat I sort of expected but there are pockets of the most disgusting smelling yellow ... the only word I can think of is intenstines. It was quite a shock. You're not supposed to eat this yellow shit are you? I just cut out pieces of the white fruit, washed off the nasty yellow gooo and threw it in my blender. My finger still smell pretty gross. :blink:

Next time just dive in. No refrigeration, no hesitation. Shove that gunk in your gob and keep going till every compartment is empty. Then you've been initiated. I guarantee remarkable effects. By the third time it'll be your favourite food. Unless you're a big girls blouse , obviously.... :D

I've never eaten durian. The little oriental grocery store near my house has frozen durian, but I'm inclined to keep my eyes open for the real thing. One is bound to fall at my feet sooner or later.

Yay! We're starting to talk recipes and specific foods. I'm so happy! :)

Cumon people! Spill what youve been eating!

Yesterday I came home from the local organic produce shop and ate a lunch of sprouted grain bread covered in olive mash, avocado slices, and unpasturized honey. Then I chomped down on an unpeeled carrot, followed by a large salad of green lettuce with a dressing of hemp oil and apple cider vinegar and ........... fresh grated parmesan cheese. :unsure:

But then I was quite sated and I couldn't get to the banana I had been eyeing.

Anyway, It was a lovely meal and I did notice how comfortable my stomach felt most of the afternoon.

Next time just dive in. No refrigeration, no hesitation. Shove that gunk in your gob and keep going till every compartment is empty. Then you've been initiated. I guarantee remarkable effects. By the third time it'll be your favourite food. Unless you're a big girls blouse , obviously.... :D

Oh my god! :o Ian, you are clearly a superior man, my hat is off to you. I think I will have to work my way up to this. So far I can only eat it cold, mixed in a shake. I haven't even just tried it on it's own yet.

lotusbud, nice meal there. Olive mash? Never heard of that, it sounds delicious. I've also noticed my tummy is feeling more comfortable than ever today.

Ok, here is my day 5 update ... A few rough patches the last two days, lost my temper a bit yesterday and punched my dashboard. Very mature. :rolleyes: Not sure if there is a connection to the raw food, I think this may just be genetic silliness. But besides the outburst I am feeling really good! Today I noticed I feel much lighter. Just walking around feels different. Feels curiously good. I was also surprised to notice that I have already lost weight. This annoying little spare tire that I just have just never been able to get rid of is already shrinking more than ever after only 5 days! dayum! Also my face is slightly slimmer. And I do not feel deprived at all because I am eating tons of various fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, about two raw eggs, a cup of raw milk, a tbsp of raw butter, 2 tbsp raw honey and 2 cups of brown rice per day. I am planning on easing back and rewarding myself with some cooked Indian food on Sunday to celebrate the end the 7 day challenge. Not sure if I will eat meat then or not. I'm surprised at how little I am craving meat. On Sunday I will also evaluate how to proceed the next 7 days with my diet.

So how is everyone else doing with their challenge?! The Fire Dragon is here to support you if you need a nice scary claw pat on the back. :D

Sean

Hey buddy,

Durians are great. But they smell too bad for me to buy. I just eat them when I visit my Dad. He is like a surgeon when he cuts those things but it seems when you know the right place to cut it the rest is pretty easy.

my boyfriend is muslim, and ramadan is coming up-- so while he is fasting, i'll be doing the raw diet. its my little way of offering support to him and doing my thing at the same time. I'm sure I'll be grouchy as hell the 1st few days, but at least i have a couple of weeks to ween myself off the sugar, fats, etc..... first. I'm also allowing myself one fully cooked, meat included meal on the weekends.

I'm interested to see how much weight I'll drop with almost a month of this :blink:

I too will join the challange - a bit late but I just heard tell of it...I will also use the time-gap to read the messages here to see if there are any helpful hints to glean from other's experiences with this.

The first time I tried to go vegetarian I was four years old and had just seen a TV program called Modern Farmer that showed a graphic "day in the death" of a Chicago slaughter-house. (This was very early morning TV in 1958)...So when my mom began to realize I was serious it became a real problem for her as there were no health-food stores readily available in 1958 New York City... After three months I succumbed to the smell of frying bacon and the deal was off. From then on the story was that I had "Quit" not lapsed.

I have been on several diets just to loose weight-being middle-aged has slowed my matabolism -so this opportunity is very welcome. I will need to finish what small amounts of chicken and egg-salad I have in the fridge - I will not waste food... And hope to begin on Monday -labor day...And last as long as I'm able-but hope to do ten days with some experimentation of a mixed diet -one that encludes cooked brown rice...

The hardest thing to give up will be morning coffee- do ya think there's any wiggle -room with that item?

I think this is working well for me.

a coworker took me to mcdonalds for lunch today.. and I succumbed to the pressure.. (omg it looked so good!)...

I felt pretty sick and disgusted afterward =( there was even a nasty after-taste. I think I will be hard-pressed to eat like that again. On the other hand, I know my body must be getting healthier, for me to feel like that after eating mcdonalds.

I am going to have to start bringing my own lunch or something. their is a gas-station that serves HEAVENLY sandwiches I can eat... but every day for the next year? please...

well, at the wedding I did drink and smoke but no meat and very little dairy! If meat is unappetizing while drunk then that's progress! Since reading 'the China Study,' Mrs Yoda has stopped her meat consumption on a dime too.

Before I read the book, I'd do 70% raw with meat eating once a day or every other day. Now that I'm vegan, the overheating and overloading of being 70% raw has dissipated and feels very normal. I credit ditching the meat and milk for the smoother ride, but who knows.

Mrs Yoda isn't into the raw thing per se so it'll be interesting for me to compare notes with her on this experiment.

I felt a lot cleaner than normal for a normal drinking, smoking, and eating binge. I'm tempted to say that it's eating part that really gets me. Which is very encouraging...

Cam, well Leslie has officially put the smack down on durians within a 3 hour window of her being in the loft. So I will have to plan my durian adventures accordingly. I don't blame her, like it or not the smell is really strong. gallery_3_2_2811.jpg

Wayfarer, nice to see your participation in the challenge. First time I went vegetarian was the result of a bizarre acid trip. I was travelling the US without a home, living in my car. My girlfriend at the time went into a restaurant to see if they had any extra food for us to eat. She came out with a plate of cubed beef on a dixie plate covered in red sauce. No utensils or napkins. We were sitting in an alley, both of us picking up chunks of dripping red meat with our fingers, our hands and our mouths covered in what began to look more and more like blood. It disturbed me so much I didn't eat meat for two years.

Then (triple dot you will think this is funny) living as a poor artist on South Street in Philadelphia, I was so hungry one day I took a free burger coupon to McDonalds and broke two years of vegetarianism with a Big Mac. Surprisingly I didn't get sick and I felt more grounded than I had in months. I was a junk food vegetarian. Lot's of pasta, carbs. Very few fruits or veggies. Since that day, up until very recently, I'd guess I've eaten meat almost every single day.

Yoda, you should check out this book on effortlessly quitting smoking. Just buy it. Even if you have no desire to quit smoking ever. The book doesn't pressure you to quit. In fact it says you can't even attempt to quit until you've finished the book, so you can do what I did and read like one page a week for four months. Great job at the wedding man. Did you even eat cake?

Ok, so my update. Smooth sailing. Sunday I went out to Indian food as usual but really had no desire for meat, and even more curious, no desire for bread which I think has an even bigger draw for me than meat. I did eat a somasa, which is I guess a battered and fried vegetable puff of sorts, vegetable curry, spinach with cheese cubes, fish curry, white rice and rice pudding for desert. Afterwards I felt way too heavy. I could have easily just done the vegetable curry and rice. Or hell, even just the vegetable curry.

I haven't noticed much different in my energy since last post. My sleeping is really out of wack but I don't think it's the diet, I am just very busy into the evening with projects. I'm kickstarting another 7 day challenge for myself. More of the same except with an attempt to favor less milk, eggs, and rice. I'm always going to try to up the sophistication a little and do some research on the warming and cooling effects of the various raw foods I am allowing myself. I'm particularly concerned about my diet overheating my Liver, an issue I believe I've been experiencing lately and which wise Owl here was kind enough to recommend chrysanthemum tea to help me with, thanks. :)

Sean

the book sounds cool, but I only smoke when I drink... :)

The book is an investigation into why you smoke. You may be surprised at the answer. And it's a very interesting thought experiment that I would almost say is worth reading even if you don't smoke at all. Because I think the answer applies to many other things in life as well.

would his angle work for cooked food? :)

It's so funny you should ask that because I recently considered, as a thought experiment, rewriting at least a chapter or two of the book, replacing "cigarettes" and "smoking", etc. with "cooked food", "meat",etc... IMO the book has a very powerful meme embedded in it and it's made me very curious if it can be "extracted" and used to facilitate other types of change work. He has a "quit drinking" book too so I'm guessing it's totally possible.

Then (triple dot you will think this is funny) living as a poor artist on South Street in Philadelphia,

Dude - I used to live there! About 11 years ago. I worked at this restaurant called Momis just around the corner on 4th St. Used to go to, what was it, Upstairs at Nick's on a monday for the punk bands. Jugs of black and tan at the bar on 3rd and pizza from lorenzo's. I loved it there. Before your time, maybe.

Dude - I used to live there! About 11 years ago. I worked at this restaurant called Momis just around the corner on 4th St. Used to go to, what was it, Upstairs at Nick's on a monday for the punk bands. Jugs of black and tan at the bar on 3rd and pizza from lorenzo's. I loved it there. Before your time, maybe.

SMALL WORLD, that is so crazy! :o I know all of those places. I was living there when I was in my early twenties so about 9 or 10 years ago. Were you there 10 years ago? I lived right at, I guess that is 4th street if I remember correctly, diagonally across from the McDonalds with the huge jungle mural on the side of it (this is the one from my previous story) Pizza from Lorenzo's, omg, it's all bringing back so many memories. For some reason I used to hang out at Abilene's a lot. Oh, a friend of a friend was a bartender. And there was this Hendrix-esque (but with more blues) band that would play there all the time and the lead singer was famous for doing incredible solos with his teeth. :mellow: A really fun place to live when you are young and partying a lot.

Ok, day 10 ...

I actually made food more complicated than throwing a bunch of stuff into a blender or a wok or a rice cooker yesterday. :lol: I had picked up this raw black sesame tahini at Whole Foods because it said something or other about clearing Liver heat which is something I've been working on. But then I had no idea what to do with it so google to the rescue and I found this recipe for hummus. Really delicious!

BLACK SESAME HUMMUS

2 medium zucchini, chopped

2-5 garlic cloves

6-10 pitted Living Tree Sundried Olives

1/4 cup Living Tree Olive Oil

1/2 cup lemon juice

2-3 tsp. Celtic sea salt

1/4 tsp. cayenne

Blend above ingredients till smooth

Add 3/4 cup Living Tree Black Sesame Seeds, soaked (soak for 1-3 hours)

Blend till smooth

Blend in 3/4 cup Living Tree Black Tahini

Garnish with parsley and paprika. Serve with celery sticks or cucumber slices, etc.

BUT ... then after all that slaving away (10 minutes) I realized I had juiced the last of my celery, carrots and cucumber. So I was forced to warm up a pumpkin paratha that I had, breaking my solemn vow of bread-less-ness. Mmmmmm... but it's sooo good. Once it hits your lips.

gallery_3_2_7617.jpg

B)

Sean

Day two of raw food diet.

I did make a huge pot of brown rice and also sun-brewed about a gallon of coffee. There has been milk & honey for the java and I am using up some (cooked) plum sauce I made with the rice...

Man! are nuts expensive! I don't know if I can afford to eat this way for a week, I'll cut back on nuts and go with cereal- only I believe most cereals are cooked at some point, so that may not be a purest route to take...I'll read the boxes and find an answer...Or make my own granola...

Juicing lots of veggies to concentrate the intake I'm not even gonna try to EAT only raw veggies for a week too much chewing I'll lose some of the fiber but enjoy the repast so much more.

Anyway I am doing this to lose some weight and refresh my system more than anything else.

I think I will also try a water fast in the middle of this - on Sunday. I have much too much to do to risk a melt down energy-lapse before then.

This Durian thing is a real hoot to me... In South East Asia , some people will spend a week's wages on a single durian if they think its the one to top all others... Durians are not allowed in any of the hotels I ever stayed in in Asia -because of the smell!

But yes if you find a great one it is pretty amazing- a combo of fruits and unknown flavors that is over-powering for the taste buds-and the taste changes and developes and it is a real trip! So- just get past the smell and heaven awaits. The smell was never so terrible to me, just very funky - not like chemical fumes-but maybe human fumes... so I tried it without too much problem... I am glad to hear one can eat the white part too - I didn't think it was edible!

Mixing durian with ANYTHING would be unheard of to the folks who love them more than sex...

I've not had one in twenty years but I may go for it again- there is an Asian food store just a half mile from here that keeps some in a fridge all the time. 99 cents a pound...

Stay limber-wayfarer

i am impressed with the dedication you lot have to go on this diet. it is something i have considered, but have never been able to manifest.

wayfarer64, i am extermely curious as to why you drink copious quantities of coffee. is it part of this diet or is it something that you always do?

i am impressed with the dedication you lot have to go on this diet. it is something i have considered, but have never been able to manifest.

wayfarer64, i am extermely curious as to why you drink copious quantities of coffee. is it part of this diet or is it something that you always do?

The gallon will last me the week (2/3 regular 1/3 decaf) and there may be some left over. But it IS a habit for me and seems to be something I now need to get me started. I never drank coffee much until I was in my thirties, and I never drink more than two cups a day- always before noon and with milk & honey -or better for the taste-buds chocolate melted in the cup -half a hershey bar is perfect! It is an indulgence but it helps to get me through the day.

I too am wary of coffee. It changes some people's moods for the worse and has made me edgey at times too...Copious amounts doesn't apply to me- my sister drinks five+ cups a day!!! That I also worry about for her sake... but thanks for the concern is could have seemed a problem. making a gallon in advance of the challange was probibly some sort of Linus-blanket for me to have handy...I can't let my energies fail this week. Even if I have to caffinate to stay at it...

How is everyone doing with their food challenges? I'm very curious to know.

I'm still doing pretty well. Only a few meals out of the rule book. A south Indian vegetable pancake of some sort, I'm assuming flour based. And a cheeseburger on a bun flew in the mix somewhere back there a few days ago. Very tasty. It was grass fed, organic, all that. I'm really surprised how well I am taking almost three weeks now without my typical carb and meat consumption. At this point my diet is still almost entirely fruits, vegetables, mushrooms and rice. I am still in love with raw milk, butter, ghee and honey so those aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I also started making congee again, delicious rice porridge. And I picked up rice bread. No additives. No gums or anything. Just rice and sea salt shaped into a loaf and baked or something. Kind of wierd, but I actually really like it. It's not exactly fluffy but I prefer it to regular bread 3 out of 5 times.

I've been having a health issue the last month or two where my eyes have been getting hot and blurry. Probably a combination of too much computer, jing retention extending past the 70% rule without enough meditation to transform it, possibly the raw food experiments creating too much compensatory heat to process the cold raw food ... from a TCM perspective I think my symptoms are pretty classically seen as relating to the liver, I think trapped liver heat to be specific. I am taking a formula with chrysanthemum and wolfberries that is helping me, I've recommitted to my daily meditations, added in some shaking and five animal frolics again (yay!) and I'm also reconsidering the longterm sustainability of a raw vegan diet.

My acupuncturist lent me The Tao of Nutrition which I've started reading. Seems pretty decent. Balanced. Yoda, have you read this? Anyone?

Sean

How is everyone doing with their food challenges? I'm very curious to know.

(yay!) and I'm also reconsidering the longterm sustainability of a raw vegan diet.

Completed day one of water fast. No problem

Haven't read it.

I recently got a case of pink eye in one eye. Could it be some kind of eye bug like that? Google told me to use all purpose, soft contact lense solution as eyedrops and it seemed to do a good job killing the tiny terrorists and healing my eye.

~~~

Nothing beats a water fast!

~~~

I've been drifting a bit towards cooked veganism recently and while it's nice, it's worlds away from raw. No comparison. Will drift back.

~~~

It's hard to do retention and get started on a raw diet. Totally can be done, just more challenging.

Sign in to follow this