Aaron

I accidentally shaved off my eyebrow...

For the last few days I have been seeing this rogue hair out of the corner of my eye. I thought it might be an eyebrow, so I started to pluck one now and again, thinking I'd gotten the rogue hair, but alas, I couldn't track it down. Finally I decided to trim them with some scissors. I thought I was being careful, but just as I was about to cut, my hand twitched and I chopped off half my eyebrow. Yes... laugh. Anyways, it gets worse.

With half an eyebrow missing the normal symmetry of my face was missing, so I decided to get my electric razor out and start to trim them so they looked normal, but I didn't use a guard and ended up shaving off the eyebrow. Now I was staring at myself with just one eyebrow wondering what to do? Well the answer seemed to be to make the other eyebrow look the same, so I shaved it off. Sigh... yes... no eyebrows.

So there I was with no eyebrows and a full (well except for the bald spot) head of hair. I decided it wouldn't look so bad if I shaved my hair as well, so off came the hair. So here I sit completely bald with no eyebrows.

That's not the worst of it though. The rogue hair was still there, hanging down out of the corner of my eye. Alas, it was an eyelash. I plucked the eyelash and now I can see fine.

So what does this all mean? Well I think it simply means, that when there is something bothering me, that I need to be sure exactly what it is, before I set about fixing it. If I had took the time to identify it, rather than just assume what the problem was, I would not be sitting here without eyebrows, bald, looking quite like an overgrown infant (a sad infant at that).

In the same way, when I see something in someone else that's bothering me, I need to be sure that I don't assume I know how to correct this "problem" and recommend they trim their eyebrow, when all I need to do is point out they had a rogue eyelash. Perhaps the best thing to do is just ignore it all together, or get a hand mirror so I can see the problem more clearly.

Aaron

edited to correct a grammatical error.

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 5

Aaron,

in ancient Egypt, the head of the household shaved his eyebrows in mourning if the family cat died. The mourning period during which this was maintained lasted one year. Cats were sacred, and Bast the cat-headed goddhess, one of the most revered in the pantheon. In addition to this information from history books, Bast told me in response to my inquiry "why shave the eyebrows" that it's a straightforward symbol -- a sacrifice meant to signify the loss of a small amount of very important fur (the cat from your life, the eyebrows from your face) and thus placate the cat spirit and the cat goddess.

Why this happened to you I don't know, but other than this Egyptian custom, the only eyebrow-shaving episode I'm aware of can be seen in the Pink Floyd movie The Wall, and is coincidental with the protagonist going mad AND totalitarian. Hopefully this has nothing to do with your accident and your eyebrows will grow out better-looking than ever.

Shaving the head was commonly done in many cultures to denounce the world (monks and nuns), mourn a loss, prevent lice or differences (the army -- AND the monastery), or facilitate a practice.

So what does this all mean? Well I think it simply means, that when there is something bothering me, that I need to be sure exactly what it is, before I set about fixing it. If I had took the time to identify it, rather than just assume what the problem was, I would not be sitting here without eyebrows, bald, looking quite like an overgrown infant (a sad infant at that).

Your eyebrows will grow back and pretty quickly at that. At the same time, by shaving your eyebrows you've unwittingly eliminated one possible source of rogue hairs. So you've actually narrowed down your problem by restricting your search space. Obviously you want to look handsome so it wasn't completely intentional on your part, but if you think about it, it wasn't a complete waste. Perhaps shaving your eyebrow was simply the only way for you to realize that eyelashes could be a contributing source of rogue hair. Perhaps if you just thought about it a little more carefully you could have spared yourself the "agony" of having no eyebrows. :)

In any case, your eyebrows will be back quickly so it's not much of a loss. Meanwhile you'll get some extra attention, and if you like attention, that's a good thing. It can be your little conversation piece for about a week or two. Enjoy it while it lasts.

• Like 1

Pics or it didn't happen ^_^

Well then it didn't happen. I'm sorry, but I don't post pictures of myself on the internet. Call me paranoid.

Aaron

Dont worry i got ya

mike-eyebrows.jpg

hmmmm, you look a little "sweet" :glare:

Edited by imonous
  • Like 2

Aaron, in my early 20s, sometimes I'd try to cut my own hair, think I was saving some money. I always decided to do it when I was tired, probably because it was such an obviously bad idea, that I'd see right through it, when fully awake. It was always a disaster. Make a mistake here? Ok, balance it with a mistake on the other side!

Ah, what a fantastic story, thanks for sharing that. How luscious your eyebrows and hair will be on their return! I trust you will welcome them in with celebration.:D Meanwhile, hope you either look groovy or like hats.

If it was truly accidental, I don't think it means anything.

Methinks there was some intention in your actions and that is full of meaning.

Exactly what that meaning is - I have no idea.

Quite a story about the mule... yikes!

I never knew Rumi was so freaky.

• Like 2

This is a truly freaky thread. :lol:

Okay, if we want to get truly metaphysical on this, we have to figure out what eyebrows and eyelashes symbolize in the grand scheme of things. Eyelashes are a protector, I guess - protection from the sun, from debris. Protecting the eye. The eye is the window of the soul. This could also involve the 3rd eye, on a slightly different level. Maybe this was a necessary purge of sorts to activate it.

The fact that you are left looking like a baby may be a very good thing! Maybe the baby shouldn't look so sad! Maybe you are being 'reborn' in a sense having to do with your third eye. Maybe you are 'shedding' something that needed to be shed. Maybe that's the significance of the lost hair, even though it wasn't technically shed. Something to do with your previous identity that needed to be loosed.

Trying to triangulate this would be a lot easier if I knew something about what you are manifesting today in your life. I'm assuming that you may be a twin? Could the baby be sad because he is shedding something that his twin still has? That he is reluctant to move ahead without the twin alongside? This could be a very deep component, going all the way back to the womb, if you are indeed a twin.

• Like 1

Great metaphor! :D

To me it beautifully symbolizes Byron Katie's work.

About how we often try to fix the world to correct our own personal flaw - that's just so close to home that we can't see it. Except only by how it colors how we see everything around us.

And so we may end up destroying our world in a misdirected effort to pluck the beam from our own eye.

Hello folks,

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the return of my eyebrows. Taomeow, I didn't tell my cats about the whole, shaving eyebrows when they die. I didn't want to make them paranoid. The Rumi story was very disturbing, that's all I can say about that.

As for the true meaning, well I think it's what we decide to make it. Yes it is a new beginning. I went out earlier today and I really didn't get any looks, but the owner of the local convenience store, whom I've known for around nine years remarked, "huh (brief silence) so you cut your hair. Did you do it because of the heat?"

I kindly replied no, that it was accidental, which I think confused her even more.

Anyways, life without eyebrows is pretty much the same as life with eyebrows, except the stubble irritates my arm when I'm trying to get to sleep. With that, I hope you guys and gals have a good night or great morning, depending on when I catch you.

Aaron

edit- And yes I am a twin Manitou... I can't think of anything I really want that he has, except for maybe his laptop.

Edited by Twinner

I'm assuming that you may be a twin?

How did you know? Did Twinner ever mention something before that may have led to this conclusion, or did you infer it from the eyebrows episode? If the latter, I'd like to know how!

Hi

please know if this happens to a child (shaved eyebrow) it will never grow back

Once my son fell and got a cut on his eyebrow and the hair was in the cut. The next day he said that it was still bothering him so I took him to the doctor while the doctor was examining the cut I asked him if he was going to shave where the cut was and he said no "if you shave a childs eyebrow it will not grow back"

How did you know? Did Twinner ever mention something before that may have led to this conclusion, or did you infer it from the eyebrows episode? If the latter, I'd like to know how!

From his name. Twinner. Also, from the fact that he always signs his posts with Aaron, as though differentiating himself from the other. Despite the fact they have nothing in common, apparently, this could be at the root of this manifestation. Also, it sounds like his appearance is monk-like. My guess is he really is going through the manifestations of the third eye revealing itself, from the depth of his posts. Also, Aaron is a 12-stepper, which means he takes his inner journey as serious as a heart attack.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

From his name. Twinner. Also, from the fact that he always signs his posts with Aaron, as though differentiating himself from the other. Despite the fact they have nothing in common, apparently, this could be at the root of this manifestation. Also, it sounds like his appearance is monk-like. My guess is he really is going through the manifestations of the third eye revealing itself, from the depth of his posts. Also, Aaron is a 12-stepper, which means he takes his inner journey as serious as a heart attack.

Wow I am impressed - you are good :)

Wow I am impressed - you are good :)

LOL - I'm only good if it's true.

The one thing about the 12 steps is that it goes in so very deeply, if one is earnest in doing the work. If one isn't earnest, then it's a waste of time. Just ask Charlie Sheen.

But what does develop, after many years, is the ability to get way out in space and 'see' things. I call it triangulating because that's what it feels like.

LOL - I'm only good if it's true.

I later realized some where you stated some where along the way you were retired from the police.

Perhaps a detective?

Any way good police training.

Hi

please know if this happens to a child (shaved eyebrow) it will never grow back

Once my son fell and got a cut on his eyebrow and the hair was in the cut. The next day he said that it was still bothering him so I took him to the doctor while the doctor was examining the cut I asked him if he was going to shave where the cut was and he said no "if you shave a childs eyebrow it will not grow back"

Actually that's not true. All hair will grow back, unless a scar grows over it. That's why the doctor didn't want to shave the eyebrow, because he was a afraid the scarring would prevent it from growing back in that area.

Aaron

I later realized some where you stated some where along the way you were retired from the police.

Perhaps a detective?

Any way good police training.

Yes, a detective, LAPD. I'm still a P.I.

The left brain has been trained very logically. The real challenge for me has been to accept those things which aren't obviously evidentiary. The Way is totally opposite what my brain previously thought. what a trip this has been...

Yes, a detective, LAPD. I'm still a P.I.

The left brain has been trained very logically. The real challenge for me has been to accept those things which aren't obviously evidentiary. The Way is totally opposite what my brain previously thought. what a trip this has been...

I can imagine.:)

The name, huh? I'm definitely no Sherlock Holmes material... missing the obvious.:lol: That, but also my pondering a curious fact -- my husband, who is a twin, and whose eyebrows are rather bushy and might beg for trimming this or that hair from time to time, has had these shaving-off accidents, not to the extent that the eyebrows are gone completely but quite to the extent that might cause someone who knows what they really look like to raise an eyebrow... So I thought you know some esoteric truth about twins specifically being prone to eyebrow-shaving accidents... His brother, by the way, never has these accidents...

now, Twinner, help me zero in on the esoteric something or other that may or may not be there... Are you the first twin or the second? and by the way, I hope your cats live long and prosper, I didn't mean to make them paranoid... I didn't know you had cats to begin with, may they meow on. :)

Taomeow, your cat knows the Tao.

:ninja: