Hmmm. The way i see it is that man is obviously the normal human being and he's observing the waterfall.

The waterfall has 2 small "slopes", if you will, and one large one. I feel like the largest slope is normal human life, or something in the lower planes.

The second slope is a higher plane or what some may called enlightenment.

Then the last one represents death which is connected to the "source" of all the water and is also the greatest bliss one can achieve, going back to where your spirit once was.

edit: this is for the first image.

Edited by Tom Lin

62899135.jpg

Let's see your spiritual/philosophical view of what the artist is trying to convey. There are many interpretations for sure and all correct.

Note: If you can read Chinese refrain from doing so, as it will influence your personal view. :)

I see a man standing, inside his body is the world. :D

• Like 2

Cool picture. Do we know the name of the artist, or the translation of the text?

A lot of these paintings seem to be depictions of traditional scenes or legends. Does anyone know the story of this one?

Kind of. Open to interpretation. The eternal journey of the soul? :)

Anyway, next:

cauliflower.jpg

broccoli

62899135.jpg

The water at the top looks like clouds, they fall down into the water below. As above, so below. The man is contemplating how he is like that water, part of the heavens and part of the earth :) .

cauliflower.jpg

broccoli

They are related but it's Romanesco Cauliflower. When I first held it in my hands I simply couldn't believe my eyes. Sometimes tao doesn't bother with metaphors and just gives you the truth as is.

The truth is beautiful and tastes good steamed, then pan-fried in butter.

• Like 1

The broccoli picture: We're all the broccoli. Each little individual node is one of us; however, we can't see that we're actually the whole broccoli. We just think we're separate from each other.

Cauliflower Romanesco! I was shopping in an outdoor food market in Rome when I first saw these.. all piled skyhigh, like temples from outer space. I had been in Rome a while, alone, quite intensely reflecting and making the most of both the solitude and the language learning. Buying and steaming and eating that fractal piece of reality was one of the memorable moments of my life. I was eating a fractal in a country not my own, wiht a culture different than mine and a language different than mine.. to suddenly find an edible bright green fractal that had grown out of the earth and no sign of it made it to my country yet, was an initiation on many levels.

• Like 1

A bungee jumping chicken in roller blades.

(should I call my therapist?)

• Like 1

A bungee jumping chicken in roller blades.

(should I call my therapist?)

I just called him for you.

• Like 1

I just called him for you.

yes I tried but he's too scared to pick up ...

• Like 1

62899135.jpg

Let's see your spiritual/philosophical view of what the artist is trying to convey. There are many interpretations for sure and all correct.

Note: If you can read Chinese refrain from doing so, as it will influence your personal view. smile.gif

I see.. a traveler who has come very far, across dangerous terrain to honor the sacred waters and breathe in the misty air =)

Next:

buddhamind.jpg

For this one, I see a monkey hanging off a tree branch, pointing downwards to a hole. Or giving it the finger.

• Like 1

62899135.jpg

Note: If you can read Chinese refrain from doing so, as it will influence your personal view. smile.gif

When I click to open the image, only a white box appears...

The Universe is White.? hahaha

Sitatapatra! hahahahahahahaha

62899135.jpg

I see a very traditional Chinese landscape, I have one of these in my living-room. The artist may have painted himself into the picture as part of what is actually there at the moment of observation. He paints what he sees -- including himself in the process of contemplating painting what he's looking at. This is consistent with the classic taoist view that does not allow for an "observer" being positioned anywhere outside of the "observed," or for any "pure awareness" distilled out of some disposable container. An artist ain't no such thing! All he is matters -- not just his "awareness." So he has no reason to exclude himself and pretend he's not there. He's not a liar. He's there, and it shows, and he shows it.

In order to paint a landscape, you enter it. Once you enter it, you are part of the landscape you're painting. You are the observer and the observed wrapped into one. It doesn't matter if you're painting what you've been looking at recently or a long time ago, what you have never seen and only imagined, what you plan to see one day, or what you're looking at right now: as long as you truly see it, the method whereby you see it doesn't matter. The landscape is realistic (there's many here-now places in China that still look like that) and metaphorical (richly metaphorical, resonating with scores of core taoist concepts and ideas) and majestic (nature is worshipped and venerated in such paintings, not merely "depicted"), and poetic, and many things on top of that and on the bottom of that. I love this style. I've tried my hand at painting in this fashion and discovered something amazing...

...you can paint with water, a hint of ink to cloud it a bit is all you need, water itself will decide how to go about creating a landscape -- your main role is to try not to interfere too much with what it wants to do.

I would recommend trying to copy one of these paintings as a very illuminating practice.

Nice! I have a set or 4, one for each season, above my fireplace in the living room. They understood quantum mechanics intuitively :D

I see four dudes ( or the same dude four times)

looking in various directions

the sky, the water,at a book ,and at himself-(or me)