Owledge

Ridcule of energy practice

...I'd say being unawakened doesn't automatically mean suffering, because many live a very happy, ignorant life. (Then again, to define awakenness is a tricky thing.) I'd say what causes suffering is the moving along the path, the aspiration for being more in the future than now. One can greatly reduce the suffering by standing still ... or at least postpone it.

(But I'm not so sure about this myself, just a thought. Maybe for another thread.)

Definitively, a good Buddhist thread was overdue on this forum. I will open it shortly. Thanks for the reminder.

Note: everyone who hasn't conquered the 10 fetters suffers.

I will discuss the nature of suffering on this soon to be new thread because there is a lot of misinformation on the subject as everyone thinks it has a negative aspect attached to it when really it is more subtle and profound.

Kind regards.

Are you able to distinguish good-natured ribbing from ridicule? From what you describe it doesn't sound malicious. Sure, the person is not taking you seriously, but there is a difference between not being taken seriously and being ridiculed.

Is it consistent? Sounds like a one-off thing. Just forget it if one-off is all it is.

Are you able to distinguish good-natured ribbing from ridicule? From what you describe it doesn't sound malicious. Sure, the person is not taking you seriously, but there is a difference between not being taken seriously and being ridiculed.

Is it consistent? Sounds like a one-off thing. Just forget it if one-off is all it is.

Well, I didn't mean it as being malicious, just ignorant poking fun at.

And I thought I had written it clearly that it is not a one-off thing, but happening every now and then in the same manner.

Well, I didn't mean it as being malicious, just ignorant poking fun at.

And I thought I had written it clearly that it is not a one-off thing, but happening every now and then in the same manner.

Ah, if it's not one-off, why don't you talk to whoever tells you "Om!" Ask them "how's your day?" or something innocuous like that to break the ice. Or if the guy tells you "Om!" you can reply with your own "Om!" right back. Play the game. Participate in the energy flow. Don't reject it. Make it your bitch.

They had picked up a relatively decent approximation of single whip by the time I finished :D

Yeah, but it's that weird extra high shoulder hunched single whip so its not saying much

(running joke folks, not really insulting Mal)

Of course i completely agree this whole debate is off-topic, it just something i always found funny, western people reciting/praying in a obscure foreign language (this doesn't happen in Catholicism for example) and so on.

BTW, it wasnt that long ago when all Catholic service was performed in Latin. Something to think about.

Craig

Yeah, but it's that weird extra high shoulder hunched single whip so its not saying much

:P

Lol, dependent origination playing again.

It happens to me all the time. The younglings are more receptive to "real knowledge". Adults are already prey to their minds and the social order.

Don't worry my friend, is like casting pearls before swine. Consider yourself having good karma and feel compassion and understanding of the suffering the unawakened experience every moment of their lives.

Keep practicing as steady and robust as the growth of an oak.

:)

Good post, that's kinda how I see it...but I dont necessarily consider myself awakened at all either :D I went camping a while back and my buddies were laughing at the neighbors laughing at me - my buddies expect that stuff from me, but the neighbors just couldnt fathom that what I was doing had any significant benefit in the least. (it wasnt kl1 haha...I remained practicing, but admittedly I did make fun of their man-boobs to my buddies over a few beers later on :lol: and chrissakes, they were pissing every 5 minutes, the lot of them!)

Anyone with the affinity will naturally gravitate and will ask questions, the rest can consider it a bit of entertainment while they go about their day.

Ah, if it's not one-off, why don't you talk to whoever tells you "Om!" Ask them "how's your day?" or something innocuous like that to break the ice. Or if the guy tells you "Om!" you can reply with your own "Om!" right back. Play the game. Participate in the energy flow. Don't reject it. Make it your bitch.

That probably would give them even more the impression that it's just silly and meaningless. Why waste the time?

BTW, it wasnt that long ago when all Catholic service was performed in Latin. Something to think about.

That reminds me of another example for the adaptation of foreign culture: Consider the many components of Egyptian and Roman (both imperial ;)) culture in the US government: The fasces in the Senate, the pillar-rich white temples, the pyramid-tipped obelisks and many more. So this is not a limited phenomenon; it is happening all the time.

LMAO

LSTALIN :lol:

Edited by Hardyg

Recently one woman said to her friends that she finds it interesting, watched for a moment, but then moved on, saying that nothing's happening here. Was quite obnoxious and even claiming this.

Today there were two teenagers whose demeanor was quite respectless. At one time, me standing there motionless with the arms stretched out at the sides, asked me whether I know what time it is. :rolleyes:

Later one of them said, I'm probably doing Tai Chi or something. Hmm, pretty close.

But, you know, if people are honestly interested... RTFI - read the fucking internet! :lol:

Edited by Hardyg

Recently one woman said to her friends that she finds it interesting, watched for a moment, but then moved on, saying that nothing's happening here. Was quite obnoxious and even claiming this.

Today there were two teenagers whose demeanor was quite respectless. At one time, me standing there motionless with the arms stretched out at the sides, asked me whether I know what time it is. :rolleyes:

Later one of them said, I'm probably doing Tai Chi or something. Hmm, pretty close.

But, you know, if people are honestly interested... RTFI - read the fucking internet! :lol:

You could have said: "Noonish" :P

Definitively, a good Buddhist thread was overdue on this forum. I will open it shortly. Thanks for the reminder.

Oh no ! Run for cover. :lol:

These incidents wouldn't happen if the exercises were practiced at their appropriate hour.

For instance, if you go practice in the park at 5 to 6 a.m, you'll find many people that practice something related to health, be it jogging or whatnot, and maybe even have some interesting conversation... It's not empty talk, it's experience.

If you do it at a later hour,

- firstly, you won't have enough healthy Qi to back you up

- secondly, you won't have enough healthy Qi to back you up in your practice

Don't "shoot the messanger".

Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something.

Edited by Little1

(quote) durkhrod chogori, on 04 August 2010 - 04:10 AM, said:

Definitively, a good Buddhist thread was overdue on this forum. I will open it shortly. Thanks for the reminder. (end quote)

Oh no ! Run for cover. :lol:

On the contrary. If all buddhists were to commit to opening their own buddhist threads instead of suddenly jumping out of closets within taoist ones with a mighty "boo!" --

I for one would burn incense on my taoist altar and make offerings to my taoist deities in gratitude. :lol:

(quote)durkhrod chogori, on 04 August 2010 - 04:10 AM, said:

Definitively, a good Buddhist thread was overdue on this forum. I will open it shortly. Thanks for the reminder.(end quote)

On the contrary. If all buddhists were to commit to opening their own buddhist threads instead of suddenly jumping out of closets within taoist ones with a mighty "boo!" --

I for one would burn incense on my taoist altar and make offerings to my taoist deities in gratitude. :lol:

Good point Taomeow.

Hardyg, why don't you make a little sign, attach it to a light pole, and take it with you to where you practice to stick in the ground behind you? The sign can read, e.g., something like,

"Greetings, passers-by! I know you want to know why I'm doing these strange things, but I humbly request that you refrain from interrupting me. When you do your own strange things in the privacy of your own home, you have a good reason for doing them, right?.. Well, I have a good reason for doing mine in the open air. I can't help it. But I still would very much like to be left alone while at it, just the way you prefer to be left alone when you do your own in the safety of your home. I request to grant me the safety of these few cubic feet of transparent air, because that's what I need around me while I do my thing, and respect its privacy, just the way I respect yours and don't intrude on you in your own space. Many heartfelt thanks!"

I'm back! :D

And thy ridicule energy work because its just too easy.

1. It looks like you're doing nothing really.

2. Energy workers can't really show any results from their practice. They're just as capable as the average healthy person who does not do energy practice, and probably less fit that someone who does more typical exercise routines.

3. This is a follow up to point 2, there are some that "can" do things others can't because of their energy work, but can't get the word out or can't get undeniable confirmation of their ability. OR they choose to remain secret,

4. Follow up to point 3, most well know people who could use mysterious forces or energy to do super natural things, were found to be frauds or just unable to perform on tests (because "place belief here").

5. Young people are more "clever" these days when it comes to these things, they refer to religious people for example as adults with imaginary friends, because theres no reason to believe christianity for example to be true. And energy work just hasn't done enough to say to them "hey I am real, not just some practice done by those who live in a fantasy world".

might be more, but those are my main ones I see. Some will blame the media, and yeah ok, but I think the medias portrayal has had more effect on how they ridicule you than why. Of course, all this stems from the lack of respect these days :lol:

Who what when where why

practice must be practical in communicating the Idea of what you are Doing. In my own Energy practice working with a sphere often invokes immediately tangible results even in no touch demonstration. some people are very touchy about touch, it doesn't matter though, grounding is grounding, create space w breath, hug a tree, do a climb it, show the internal lines that make the external. It looks like very natural movement. It's just like pulling open a door first then stepping through. Sliding open window to look at moon. Public practice is difficult. Metro people often walk

around with furrowed brows in defensive judgement of everyone. Their perception of the world

around them is clouded by many thoughts many thoughts and very breif moments of internal reflection. A competion for attention. Those who are seekers will sync up others are on their own boat.

Most people understand the idea of catching a ball in a basket, If they don't "believe" that yeilding in the moment createsbtangible results I have them offer lateral energy with their a push punch shove something where they are going to displace my center of gravity with their own "force". creating a vacuum with their energy and then allowing them to fall into it.

Then you show how two person practice creates mutual

pressures and vacuums and it's a health gyro

practice thaat circulates chi and follows

the paths of least resistance through good roots and soft pinpoint hand placement.

It's like catching someone arm in a cats cradled Chinese finger puzzle that's what I feel from the cubical sphere of two person practice combined with the palm transitions of required to keep the silken rings on the wrists through out the duration of the form. Done fast with long silk it flows in a certain way, like a body banner. I think Bow Sim Mark is trying to communicate this in some of her 'theatrics' work.

movement

peace

still

Edited by Spectrum

Mine works everytime. If I show you a chi gung exercise that is Like holding a ball, and breathing with it, or 'doing' something with "energy" i can also show you how that sphere interacts with the human form to create a circuit and how that circuit makes it to ground when another person comes to play. That is the amazing thing about studying martial art and the natural measurements of the body is the commonsense of the movements. Moving like water with someone does not mean the wave isn't about to break... those that KNOW go yeah ... Gotta

make the bottom

turn...

trimmmm

walk the line

It was a Zen master giving you a koan. You missed a great oppurtunity. :D

That probably would give them even more the impression that it's just silly and meaningless. Why waste the time?

You have way too much self-importance to succeed. You want others to think what you're doing is important and weighty. Terrible. Don't seek respect. Don't be a beggar.

You could have said: "Noonish" :P

Alternative:

"What time is it?"

- Time to buzz off!

Or in German language logic:

"How late is it?"

- Too late for you, that's for sure!

These incidents wouldn't happen if the exercises were practiced at their appropriate hour.

For instance, if you go practice in the park at 5 to 6 a.m, you'll find many people that practice something related to health, be it jogging or whatnot, and maybe even have some interesting conversation... It's not empty talk, it's experience.

If you do it at a later hour,

- firstly, you won't have enough healthy Qi to back you up

- secondly, you won't have enough healthy Qi to back you up in your practice

Don't "shoot the messanger".

Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something.

That I'm fucked. Yes, that could be it. Choosing an 'optimum' time is a luxury I can't afford. I have to work with what I've got. Besides, I do Nei Gung in the early morning ... and then I go to bed. ;) So when I go to the park, I am refreshed.

Some experiences are interesting in the afternoon, too, but generally I'm not the kind of person who has lucky experiences or meets interesting people by chance.

And it's not the Central Park, you know. Very unlikely that there'll be anybody there doing health practices and giving opportunity for an interesting talk. If anything, it would be more like a monologue if a jogger asks me about Nei Gung. And I don't want to waste my energy on something like that. Did it so many times and nothing comes from it, expect maybe others benefitting while I couldn't have finished my prcatice undisturbed.

I chose to go the way of shedding my interest in communication in those situations, focusing on myself.

5. Young people are more "clever" these days when it comes to these things, they refer to religious people for example as adults with imaginary friends

Of course, all this stems from the lack of respect these days :lol:

That is a very funny way of seeing Christianity clearly. :lol: Almost Terry-Pratchett-humor.

And that lack of respect is age-old.

You have way too much self-importance to succeed. You want others to think what you're doing is important and weighty. Terrible. Don't seek respect. Don't be a beggar.

You are drawing false conclusions here. Don't weigh my words. They're not golden. ;)

Edited by Hardyg

When I first moved to the area I live, I was looking forward to practicing in the local park. After a few attempts I only practice in my own home now. When doing tai chi I got teenagers on bikes shouting "That's not a swimming pool, y'know". When practicing yiquan people would just look at me and burst out laughing. One time while doing zhang zhuang, a little girl (about 8) with an old lady (probably her granny) walked by. She asked "whats that man doing?" The old lady said "he's meditating" -nice, I thought... until the old lady followed it up with "people like that hate God." !?!?!?!

However, I remember when I was 14, and less educated than I am now, I would often go to the park with my friends around dusk. There was a young lady who was usually there practicing tai chi. My friends and I sometimes laughed at her, and once or twice even shouted remarks at her. However, I was secretly in awe of her. I giggled because I was nervous about something that looked 'wierd', but secretly I found it very moving to see her there. My suspicion is that a couple of my friends felt similarly. So remember... when you are practicing your tai chi/qigong/yoga/whatever in public and people shout abuse at you... you may have actually planted a seed of inspiration. ^_^

Yeah, you're probably right. Who knows what unnoticed positive effects our mere presence can have in the long term. ... I just don't see it coming back noticeably, and one shouldn't expect it to.

Did you say something to the 'fundamentalist Christian granny' after her outing?

Situations like these can become very interesting if one keeps calm, friendly and neutral. Will stir up the kid's view of her granny pretty severely, giving her a lesson about the world. ^_^

In what manner did she say it? Hateful? Fearful? Repulsed? Those nuances are important to find the right kind of reply.

By the way... quickly read up about Yiquan. Sounds like a very wise approach - formless, inner-awareness martial arts. I hope I'll someday find the time and opportunity to practice a style according to my own personal preferences (Twisting Owl style. :lol: ). Everything else is probably just feeding oneself with concepts that can never be perfectly suitable to oneself.

Edited by Hardyg