NeiChuan

Meditating in a graveyard

Do you hold a "friendly" view if......

Yes, well at least I try my best to do so, for

The first practice is the practice of undiscriminating virtue: take care of those who are deserving; also, and equally, take care of those who are not. When you extend your virtue in all directions without discriminating, your feet are firmly planted on the path that returns to the Tao - Hua Hu Ching

No good

The teachings of the Order of Sariputra are based on common sense. CHOD is not common sense.

You offer your energy as a decoy to your own hungry ghosts... satisfying them. It's a self sacrifice.

Chod is uncommon sense. :closedeyes:

Thanks

When you hit stream entry, your max life span ON THIS EARTH is 36,000,000 years.

Most people hit stream entry when they are 7 or 8. People get scammed out of their

36,000,000 years and it is GARBAGE.

This is interesting. How do they get scammed Lino? Where do you get the figure 36,000,000 years? Stream entry? What is stream entry and why does it come about at 7 or 8?

People in general don't have a prior lifetime, unless they can CONSCIOUSLY reincarnate

and they KNOW that they haven't had their memories poisoned.

There are a lot of people that have cleared stage 4, a lot more than you would

believe.

Who/what poisons the memories and to what end?

Stage 4? What is that?

I feel I've suddenly walked into a new philosophy or belief system whereby I have no idea of the terms or the subject matter.

Feel free to elaborate Lino, I'm genuinely interested.

Yeah so the thought came up awhile ago.. But in cases like doing qi gong or meditating during the full moon I was wondering if theres any do's and dont's.

Basically is it safe? Is there any benefit?

Thanks.

The whole point of meditating in the graveyard, or on a chair that's set up over a deep precipice, is to confront a lack of safety. If the graveyard feels safe, then you miss the point of the practice, and you are better off finding something less safe. The point is to meditate in an environment that feels threatening either subtly or grossly.

This can be a good practice. I don't think it relates to qi though, except that if you manage to overcome some of your fears, your qi may become smoother and more stable, and is less likely to be disturbed by an event that would otherwise be scary (but wouldn't be scary if you did uproot the relevant causes of fear).

So to answer your question, if it's done right, no, it's not safe. You may die or become mentally disturbed.

Edited by goldisheavy

So to answer your question, if it's done right, no, it's not safe. You may die or become mentally disturbed.

Hehehe. Those are some pretty nasty side effects!

Peace & Love!

In the Dragons of Wudang documentary, the sifu would get them to practice taichi in a graveyard before dawn. Good place to cultivate yin energy, but I don't think I would recommend doing it with an undisciplined mind.

Edited by Oolong Rabbit

You offer your energy as a decoy to your own hungry ghosts... satisfying them. It's a self sacrifice.

Chod is uncommon sense. :closedeyes:

I don't do "self-sacrifice", that shit don't work or it doesn't work well. 16 million years of history

proved it...ask Green Tara. "Self-sacrifice" is a reductionary practice and even a death practice.

I DON'T DO THOSE PRACTICES.

I do far-seeing self-interest and even selfish self-interest if the circumstances don't suit me.

Death practices are what led to fucking up your teeth.

I can't blame you for it totally because it came

from bad guidance. Those practices lead to FUCKING UP

YOUR EARTH ELEMENT and even your water element.

Edited by lino

I don't do "self-sacrifice", ...

Well, you expressed yourself rather well in that post. Hehehe. (Were you actually emotional when typing that or was it just added emphasis?)

Peace & Love!

Well, you expressed yourself rather well in that post. Hehehe. (Were you actually emotional when typing that or was it just added emphasis?)

Peace & Love!

That CHOD stuff got me fucked up and it still has me fucked up.

BTW...check this video out.

There is some strange stuff in the video. Can anybody tell me

if "black and white" glasses are on the commercial market?

• Like 1

That CHOD stuff got me fucked up and it still has me fucked up.

BTW...check this video out.

There is some strange stuff in the video. Can anybody tell me

if "black and white" glasses are on the commercial market?

What a great demonstration that was!!!!!

"Black and White" glasses? Well, if you could filter out all the Red, Green and Blue light reaching the eyes you would have Black and White (shades of gray as in the clip).

Yeah, we should always be careful when we are messing with our ego. Too much messing around and one can loose their self-identity (which would lead to the loss of a reason to live).

(I don't know what this has to do with meditating in a graveyard but it is interesting to talk about none-the-less. Hehehe.)

Peace & Love!

What a great demonstration that was!!!!!

"Black and White" glasses? Well, if you could filter out all the Red, Green and Blue light reaching the eyes you would have Black and White (shades of gray as in the clip).

Yeah, we should always be careful when we are messing with our ego. Too much messing around and one can loose their self-identity (which would lead to the loss of a reason to live).

(I don't know what this has to do with meditating in a graveyard but it is interesting to talk about none-the-less. Hehehe.)

Peace & Love!

I am talking about the poofs of grey, not the players. I don't see how a surface can reflect in the middle of the air.

Edited by lino

I am talking about the poofs of grey, not the players. I don't see how a surface can reflect in the middle of the air.

I'll have to look at the video again to see what you are talking about.

I'll be back.

Peace & Love!

Ah!!! That is an optical illusion created by the motion of the nunchuck while our attention is on the ball. No poofs.

Peace & Love!

Ah!!! That is an optical illusion created by the motion of the nunchuck while our attention is on the ball. No poofs.

Peace & Love!

Take a look at the end. When Bruce Lee finishes. See if something

gets on his back...that is the bullshit that is happening to me

right now.

People get this shit, even if they are doing physical cultivation

and trying to move forward. Forget this shit. It don't help to

actually come correct so forget about it.

If somebody that works so hard to move forward gets fucked over

then fuck this shit. I ain't even playing this cultivation or

development game.

Okay. I watched it again. At 59 seconds that is his nunchuck from right to around his left back. At 1:04 seconds that is his nunchuck under his right arm being held stationary.

But yes, I do hear what you are saying and I have no reason to not believe you because the same thing happened to me when I was young.

There are people in this world who take pleasure in taking advantage and (your words) fucking with easy-going people.

For myself, being in the Army woke me up to reality real quick. (Well, it did take longer than it should have.) But that doesn't mean that we should stop trying to be nice to others. We just become more observant and we pick up on those people who are trying to take advantage of our kindness or those who just want to fuck with us.

I mentioned before that I am naturally a very quiet person. I know, you wouldn't believe that today. But what happened is that I changed my behavior intentionally. I am still what and who I am, it is just that I no longer keep my feeling and thoughts inside. I tell people exactly how I feel and what I think.

I cannot give you and advise but I will suggest that you do not give up on yourself. Be the person you truely are. You will at least be at peace with your Self. But then, don't let people mess with you either. Stand up for your dignity and right to be who you are. Don't let others bring you down in the gutter where they are - it's not worth the journey.

Hang in there and don't give up on your cultivation and your goals in life. Pursue them as if your life depended on it. (And it does, actually.)

Peace & Love!

But yes, I do hear what you are saying and I have no reason to not believe you because the same thing happened to me when I was young.

Thank you, I see where you are at developmentally.

Yeah so the thought came up awhile ago.. But in cases like doing qi gong or meditating during the full moon I was wondering if theres any do's and dont's.

Basically is it safe? Is there any benefit?

Thanks.

I have not meditated in a graveyard but I have walked through a few on my travels.

In one of my experiences, Dr. Glenn Morris and I were traveling by car to Calgary, Alberta to do a seminar. We left from Denver, CO and by late afternoon we were at the Little Big Horn Battlefield National Monument in Montana. It is really now just an enormous graveyard of Native American Warriors and American Calvary soldiers. The place covers a very big area of rolling prairie grass land with the beautiful Rocky Mountains due west of us in view.

Little Big Horn Battlefield

Glenn and I split up for our own meditative walks. We were both very moved and felt impact from the experience and did not really speak to each other about it after we got back in our car.

For me one of the things that struck out greatly was the difference between Native graves and Soldier graves. Some of the combatants were buried where they fell.

The Native graves out in the battlefield were attended to. Gifts of things, like bright ribbons, coins, tobacco, pictures were scattered around each individual grave which was really nothing more than piece of material no bigger than a ruler sticking out of the ground. There was a sense of peace and settled silence as my friend and student and I stood before them. It was obvious these were people who cared for and honored. We broke cigarettes to place at the sites for honoring the fallen.

We walked around the path to where the fallen Soldiers graves were. The markers and ground were bare. Even the grass wasn't as green as by the Native graves. It felt empty and hollow. I could feel pain, loneliness, of being unloved emanating from the site that I did not feel from the Native graves. We left tobacco also.

Up on one of the bluffs overlooking the battlefield, one of the other students traveling with us was doing his tai chi in the windy, bright afternoon sunlight. He is a tai chi instructor. He was vibrating finely all over his body, his head moving in a mini orbit once he got back into the car.

Glenn said nothing really as he got back in to the car and we were silent for much of the rest of the trip till we reach Calgary early in the morning.

My suggestion would be to get used to being in a graveyard during the day before you start meditating at one in the full moon. I cannot even drive past cemeteries filled with fallen soldiers without seeing battle field scenes in my head and hearing screams of fear and agony and feeling their desperation and loneliness.

I would say prayers for the dead are a helpful service.

s

• Like 1

The whole point of meditating in the graveyard, or on a chair that's set up over a deep precipice, is to confront a lack of safety. If the graveyard feels safe, then you miss the point of the practice, and you are better off finding something less safe. The point is to meditate in an environment that feels threatening either subtly or grossly.

This can be a good practice. I don't think it relates to qi though, except that if you manage to overcome some of your fears, your qi may become smoother and more stable, and is less likely to be disturbed by an event that would otherwise be scary (but wouldn't be scary if you did uproot the relevant causes of fear).

I agree. It is meant to be disturbing. It is not safe for maintaining your comfortable status quo.

Walking into your fear and letting it consume you, a type of Chod, can be a liberation as well.

s