mantis

Running

The weather is getting better here in Massachusetts so I've brought the running shoes out, mainly for cardiovascular health, anyone else plan on running this summer? I plan on working my way up to 20 miles a week, or so.

Edited by mantis

Synchronicity city! :lol:

I was going to write a post about running as well. Might have something to do with beautiful springtime weather.

I'm not a huge runner but am planning on starting a routine. Would anyone like to share benefits they've experienced from a regular running practice, and how it related to their qigong practice? Downsides to running? mantis, what kind of routine are you doing?

Greetings..

If nobody's chasing me, i ain't runnin'.. i hike regularly, my discipline includes all the Cardio i can stand, and my knees remind me why i like hiking.. i have a deep respect for runners, though..

Be well..

I plan walking and swimming when it gets warm enough for that.

No running for me either as my knees won't take all the impact.

Peace & Love!

Running is sure great fun. But be careful of those knees, feet and ankles. Beach running just about has to be the greatest.

Be aware there is an awesome, mystical and fantastical qigong running method that goes far beyond regular running. The Taoists of old would use it to cover great distances across China.

Synchronicity city! :lol:

I was going to write a post about running as well. Might have something to do with beautiful springtime weather.

I'm not a huge runner but am planning on starting a routine. Would anyone like to share benefits they've experienced from a regular running practice, and how it related to their qigong practice? Downsides to running? mantis, what kind of routine are you doing?

I'm using a program that people use to prepare for Navy SEAL training. It works you up to 30 miles a week if you follow it to the end, which I don't.

You can find the routine here (it includes push ups, sit ups, and pull ups)

Running is sure great fun. But be careful of those knees, feet and ankles. Beach running just about has to be the greatest.

Be aware there is an awesome, mystical and fantastical qigong running method that goes far beyond regular running. The Taoists of old would use it to cover great distances across China.

Sounds pretty cool, could you elaborate on it or is it one of those need-to-know basis qigongs?

I'm using a program that people use to prepare for Navy SEAL training. It works you up to 30 miles a week if you follow it to the end, which I don't.

You can find the routine here (it includes push ups, sit ups, and pull ups)

Sounds pretty cool, could you elaborate on it or is it one of those need-to-know basis qigongs?

A Navy Seal program eh? Why not cut it down a bit. Just being a standard soldier is hard enough for as is for most people, I'm sure trying a Navy seal routine would be downright impossible for most!

As for running on the beach? Are you being serious? Running on the beach is a horrible idea for starters.

Running on the beach barefoot is a horrible idea. Great way to injure yourself. Done it.

I think running is the healthiest workout there is.

However: if you're overweight

if you ever feel pain in your legs and keep going

if you don't strength train the leg muscles (to protect the knee)

if you don't do balance training

etc...(could be a huge list)

then it can injure you.

A Navy Seal program eh? Why not cut it down a bit. Just being a standard soldier is hard enough for as is for most people, I'm sure trying a Navy seal routine would be downright impossible for most!

As for running on the beach? Are you being serious? Running on the beach is a horrible idea for starters.

I made it pretty far on the program with no problems and I assure you I am not special. The only reason I stopped was because my goals had changed and running that much was burning too many calories that I could not replace.

Running on the beach barefoot is a horrible idea. Great way to injure yourself. Done it.

I think running is the healthiest workout there is.

However: if you're overweight

if you ever feel pain in your legs and keep going

if you don't strength train the leg muscles (to protect the knee)

if you don't do balance training

etc...(could be a huge list)

then it can injure you.

I agree wholeheartedly. You should always stretch for at least 5 minutes after finishing a run, working from the top to the bottom. The lower back, the hips, hamstrings, quadriceps, and calve muscles are the main groups you should focus on.

It is a part of the Stillness-Movement qigong system and consists of Lightness, Stamina, Qi Pushing, Swiftness, and a way of covering great territory.

Of course I am serious. Qigong running on a beach is about one of the most intense experiences that there is.

No, it is a different system. As far as I know no one else teaches it but me. When I met Master Wang I was a 20 plus year runner. He had never even mentioned running qigong, but I knew he was doing something in order to run 25 miles a day in his 70's. So I asked him could I run with him. He told me I couldn't keep up - and - he was right. After that, he started teaching me how to each morning before we started treating people at the hospital. He got up at 3 every morning to run. Oh, and he had a shortened leg from a bullet wound in the war. Mastering running qigong was the single most difficult thing I have ever done and took way more time than mastering medical qigong.

Agree with everyone that you have to be careful running on beach (I have never run barefoot). But still suggest being mindful everywhere.

20 miles a day is incredible, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Master Wang is still amongst the living, :lol:. Taomeow mentioned something like this, though, in the seminar she attended with Master Wang Liping (unless you're talking about the same Wang here).

There are a lot of exercises you can do for your shins to prepare them for running and to help prevent shin splints (which is what keeps most people away from running, ime). The best I think is an isometric exercise in which you try to bring your toes as close to your shin as you can, and hold it there for as long as possible, working up to 5 minutes a leg. A close second is where you stand on a wall and keep your feet about a foots distance in front of you and pull your toes up without letting them touch the ground. A few sets of 20-30 reps is the key here. Once your shins get stronger you can raise one leg off the ground, this makes the exercise considerably harder.

I made it pretty far on the program with no problems and I assure you I am not special. The only reason I stopped was because my goals had changed and running that much was burning too many calories that I could not replace.

I agree wholeheartedly. You should always stretch for at least 5 minutes after finishing a run, working from the top to the bottom. The lower back, the hips, hamstrings, quadriceps, and calve muscles are the main groups you should focus on.

20 miles a day is incredible, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Master Wang is still amongst the living, :lol:. Taomeow mentioned something like this, though, in the seminar she attended with Master Wang Liping (unless you're talking about the same Wang here).

There are a lot of exercises you can do for your shins to prepare them for running and to help prevent shin splints (which is what keeps most people away from running, ime). The best I think is an isometric exercise in which you try to bring your toes as close to your shin as you can, and hold it there for as long as possible, working up to 5 minutes a leg. A close second is where you stand on a wall and keep your feet about a foots distance in front of you and pull your toes up without letting them touch the ground. A few sets of 20-30 reps is the key here. Once your shins get stronger you can raise one leg off the ground, this makes the exercise considerably harder.

Different Master Wang; I refer to Teacher Wang Juemin. He is an ascended master no longer incarnate here. I teach his system because he asked me to.

A similar story was also told in Tibet, I think it was described in one of the old books by Alexandra David-Neel. They were referred to as something like "Lung Gom Pa".

Also noteworthy are the "Marathon Monks of Mt. Hiei," which is in Japan. They run marathons daily over long periods of time: http://www.howtobefit.com/tendai-marathon-monks.htm They are associated with the Tendai Buudhist sect, which I think also had something to do with ninjutsu.

I found the recent book "Born to Run" to be really fascinating. It focuses on the Tarahumara tribe of Mexcio and it goes down all sorts of interesting paths, including the evolutionary biology of running.

I found the recent book "Born to Run" to be really fascinating. It focuses on the Tarahumara tribe of Mexcio and it goes down all sorts of interesting paths, including the evolutionary biology of running.

And I understand they run barefoot...

And I understand they run barefoot...

Yeah, I use Nike Free shoes which are supposed to stimulate running barefoot. They have pretty much no sole or support and really strengthen your feet.

nike-354746-001-med.jpg

Yeah, I use Nike Free shoes which are supposed to stimulate running barefoot. They have pretty much no sole or support and really strengthen your feet.

nike-354746-001-med.jpg

That is the recommendation that this thread brought to mind here, barefoot running. The Vibram FiveFingers are also great (speaking from experience) both for general running and Parkour. They only take a few minutes to get used to (though your feet take a bit longer to adjust to "proper" running) then they feel great.

When I finally get around to it, my entry on my personal practice page is going to be called "The Tao of the Trail" - meaning Trail Running and running in general.

Feeling inspired to start it now!

Greetings..

Carlos Castenada describes 'the Gait of Power'.. basically, you get yourself up to a desired speed then, you kind of 'float' along.. more time gliding than contacting the ground.. as a land surveyor, i have used this phenomenal technique to save my hide more that i care to recall.. here, in Florida, we have nests of nasty little things called 'Yellow Jackets', if you disturb the nest they will pursue you relentlessly, and their sting is plenty painful.. Florida woodlands are typically tangled masses of vegetation which also tears you up or induces unpleasant rashes, so.. while surveying in the woodlands you will eventually stir-up a mess of Yellow Jackets, then between the bees and the vegetation you will generally go through a natural ass-whoopin'.. but, after practicing this 'Gait of Power', you begin to acquire the quality of movement similar to that of a deer.. you quickly get up to speed and begin to let your feet control the direction, lightly pushing-off solid surfaces.. this requires a still-mind and enhanced clarity.. not everything in the woodlands is as 'solid' as it appears.. for a few years i actually practiced this movement in the woodlands near my house, but.. it's amazing how much Clarity and motivation those pesky Yellow Jackets can inspire..

Be well..

Edited by TzuJanLi

That is the recommendation that this thread brought to mind here, barefoot running. The Vibram FiveFingers are also great (speaking from experience) both for general running and Parkour. They only take a few minutes to get used to (though your feet take a bit longer to adjust to "proper" running) then they feel great.

Feiyue Shoes are like being barefoot too, they are quite standard for kung fu. Moreover they are quite cheap ;)

When I finally get around to it, my entry on my personal practice page is going to be called "The Tao of the Trail" - meaning Trail Running and running in general.

Feeling inspired to start it now!

Great :)

Couldn't run today, my shins are still sore from Mondays run I guess I ran too fast too soon.

Greetings..

I am a huge fan of Vivo shoes.. less than an 8th of an inch thick soles, no padding, very flexible and sensitive, but the layers of kevlar are great protection from nasty's.. less than 5 ounces per shoe.. :angry: not as cheap as some, though..

Be well..

I've ran for about 10 years. normally just about 5ks i think it's enough to keep fit not enough to damage your knees. Best to run on the nature strip too on the grass, just be careful if it's sloped or u can hurt yourself after a while. I think theres a few stages.

First stage is just being able to keep your breath and not get a stitch with some breathing timing, then trying to speed up a little bit while making your foot contacts soft so not hurting your knees. Then relaxing with meditation so that you only feel your body running, your arms and upper body swing and sway perfectly in tune with your legs moving so that you run effortlessly. Your breathing doesn't matter and you don't even concentrate on it any more, your body does it it's self. You get to the end of 5ks breathing perfectly normally and feel not in the slightest bit tired.

Hi guys, I'm also thinking of running. I'm wondering if you can recommend any breathing method while running? thanks!

Hi guys, I'm also thinking of running. I'm wondering if you can recommend any breathing method while running? thanks!

Hi Sir -

try something like this for fun:

In sync with your feet,

4 short inhales

3 somewhat more aggressive exhales

Repeat, the whole time. 4 in, 3 out, 4 in, 3 out....

The 4/3 cadence has the beneficial effect of alternating the start of the sequence from left to right and back again. Am I explaining that well enough?

If you look at like a musical beat, the "one" will shift back and forth. This can help sort out imbalances in your structure. It also leads to a quiet mind/strong body, the right combination for running. I'm outta time but I can 'splain more later...

One quick thing - you can also try 3/2 or 5/4, depending on your pace. The main thing is the odd-number (5, 7, or 9). And, like everything else, once it's really been integrated into your system, you just let go of it and let it run on its own. Every now and then, you "reactivate" it consciously, but gently...