mantis

Running

"main thing is the odd-number " yes

Tip: do quick full body joint mobility session before taking off.

Tip: cycle your runs.

Shorter and / or slower day, medium / medium days, long and /or high speed day, rest day... rinse and repeat.

Tip: Run a few hundred yards in one mode. Stop and test via toe touch ROM.

Run another few hundred yards in another mode. Stop and test via toe touch ROM.

Run another few hundred yards ... test

Generally, best ROM is your best mode for that day... (applicable to any movement / practice :wub: ))

@ soaring crane and sasblamthanb, thank you for the advice.. I'll definitely try this out on my next run. :lol:

Hi Sir -

try something like this for fun:

In sync with your feet,

4 short inhales

3 somewhat more aggressive exhales

Repeat, the whole time. 4 in, 3 out, 4 in, 3 out....

I've heard that it's better to spend more time breathing in and less time breathing out like you've said.... but i've always done it 2 in and 3 or 4 out, while i've been consiously controlling it, depending if i'm going uphill and how fit i am at the time. At the beginning i just adjusted it in a way that stopped me getting a stitch. I feel it's easier to relax while breathing out so i breath out longer than i breath in for.

I guess it doesn't really matter. Just do the distance in the way you like best. But the thing i've found the most rewarding is using your whole body together, swinging the weight around and counterbalancing everything so that it really becomes very easy. After lots of gym work i was a bit stiff and i have to say running with my body relatively straight and feeling solid like a tank did feel good too, using pure power and strength. But it's also nice feeling your whole body just flowing along nicely, looking around enjoying whats around you in a relaxing way rather than just concentrating on breaths and whats directly infront of you.

Training like a soldier - hardcore sprinting up hills and dodging around trees and skipping sideways and stuff in your runs is also very good and feels great when you're super fit. To be honest though i really can't be bothered most of the time, i just plod along at a comfortable pace and feel nice

I've heard that it's better to spend more time breathing in and less time breathing out like you've said.... but i've always done it 2 in and 3 or 4 out, while i've been consiously controlling it, depending if i'm going uphill and how fit i am at the time. ...

Hi z00se - Everything you wrote is perfectly alright with me, I agree completely and think everyone is an experiment of one. But I want to point out that I also said the exhales are somewhat more explosive. So the system I'm describing is four short, quick intakes or air (Qi) followed by three outward bursts:

in in in in OUT OUT OUT (or 3/2 or 4/3, depending on load - hills and tempo, as you mentioned).

left right left right LEFT RIGHT LEFT right left right left RIGHT LEFT RIGHT, etc...

This doesn't involve any extremes - no extremely shallow inhales or aggressive exhales. The actual ratio of inhaled to exhaled breath will vary and should adjust itself.

It's an excellent way to keep your mind focussed on your activity, and coupling the breath to movements creates a complete system that comes very close to advanced Qigong practice all on its own. And the odd-meter keeps you balanced, which I think is the most profound effect and the reason I'd like people to experiment with it a little.

I'm not saying to do this pedantically, of course not. Keep it light and loose, practice a bit until it kind of runs on its own, then let go and enjoy the scenery. I repeat odd-number mantras to myself sometimes, too. I was out today and I was repeating:

I-Lum-I-Na-Tion

I-Lum-I-Nate

(while holding a Crane Claw mudra and feeling into it to find the difference between pointing the fingertips upward or downward - my conclusion: Fingers upward aids concentration and helps me stay focussed).

And then, I also practice the MCO - with five inhales up the back and four down the front, for example... It works like a mainsail - each inhale is like a gust of wind from behind that pushes me forward, all I have to do is keep the keel in the water, lol, I have my fun out there :)

Neat stuff.

Some of that breathing sounds a little advanced/difficult however. Maybe not, I'll give it a try. I'm assuming running can still be beneficial for qigong without focus on the breath?

Could anyone talk more about specific benefits running has for qigong/cultivation? I know its good for circulation, etc. It seems with all that blood circulating it would be fantastic for getting things moving.

I'm not sure if Running is good for qigong, but it's good for your health, and a healthy body is a happy body, FWIW.

Neat stuff.

Some of that breathing sounds a little advanced/difficult however. Maybe not, I'll give it a try. I'm assuming running can still be beneficial for qigong without focus on the breath?

Could anyone talk more about specific benefits running has for qigong/cultivation? I know its good for circulation, etc. It seems with all that blood circulating it would be fantastic for getting things moving.

Read my post above. While running in general is great for a cardio-vascular workout, complete circulation, lung expansion, muscle and organ, channel energy distribution, etc. I mentioned a specific running qigong. Running, in itself, is not qigong. Note I also said running qigong is much more difficult than standing, sitting, or moving qigong. Unless you plan on a good 20 years of training specifically in running qigong I would recommend just running for fun and health and doing qigong for same reason. The "lightness" technique, popularized but over dramatized in certain movies, is a subset of running qigong and a real thing.

I mentioned a specific running qigong. Running, in itself, is not qigong. Note I also said running qigong is much more difficult than standing, sitting, or moving qigong. Unless you plan on a good 20 years of training specifically in running qigong I would recommend just running for fun and health and doing qigong for same reason. The "lightness" technique, popularized but over dramatized in certain movies, is a subset of running qigong and a real thing.

I wanted to ask for more hints as it sounds very interesting but you also mentioned

Mastering running qigong was the single most difficult thing I have ever done and took way more time than mastering medical qigong.

So I doubt I have the motivation to achieve it.

I wanted to ask for more hints as it sounds very interesting but you also mentioned

So I doubt I have the motivation to achieve it.

Don't let me talk you out of it. You CAN do it. Depends on if you already convinced you want to run for the rest of your life; if running in general doesn't sound like something you are going to stick with then the running qigong would not be fun. If it is then the running qigong is awesome.

Don't let me talk you out of it. You CAN do it. Depends on if you already convinced you want to run for the rest of your life; if running in general doesn't sound like something you are going to stick with then the running qigong would not be fun. If it is then the running qigong is awesome.

I dunno, with all the injuries, costs, and problems associated with motor vehicles, maybe we should just start teaching running qigong to everyone, and we'll all just run and jump around wherever we need to go.... I mean, if you start young do you think most people could learn it by the time they are ~16-18, that's when people get their driver's license.

How long does Running qigong take to use (not master)?

Mal, I'd recommend walking first, 3x a week for 45 minutes or so at a brisk pace. Once you're comfortable with that you can add in 30 sec to 1 min of running intervals. After that slowly increase the time you're running while simultaneously lowering the walking time, until you're running the entire way.

How long does Running qigong take to use (not master)?

I don't know about 'running qigong' as such but what i do is definately using qi while running. I use the same method while doing tai chi. It's like your body can be totally exhausted and you feel worn out if you don't use the qi (We do taichi for 7-8 hours sometimes) but you relax and let the qi do the work. You do need to have some physical conditioning so you're able to relax while exercising but your stamina comes from the qi. I run and the energy comes from above and i just float along the ground using hardly any energy. Doing it this way though i feel a bit ungrounded and it's easier to trip over stuff etc. I can use the energy from the ground but i can't do it so easily when i'm running. Then i'm very grounded but the running isn't so effortless for me. Its a matter of balancing it out and when i've been practicing alot of qigong it balances out perfectly by it's self. I can even run fast (still relaxed - not a hardcore sprint) for quiet a while without getting tired just by using qi. If i tense up and sprint hard i'll go faster but i'll be puffing for air after not very far.

When i do tai chi my legs can be absolutely torn up from having my legs so bent while doing the kartas but i just relax and the earth energy comes up and suspends my body over my legs. If i tense up i can't continue practicing i'm too tired. If i relax i just continue on.

The easiest way is to smile from your whole body (not forcefully just do it) while u are running and don't think of anything, which becomes easier when ur smiling.

What i do won't take 20 years to be able to do. If you qigong is good and your body is fit enough you can do it right away. You don't 'use' the qi, the qi just comes in and if you let enough of it in by relaxing enough it does the work for you. Don't try to put the energy in your orbit just feel it flowing round. Don't squash it into a ball or spiral or anything like that, just let it run like a river, it is everywhere all at once. When you run it becomes all so much easier, if you can have your channels opened while sitting still its easier to do it when ur running. Ur qi is stronger from your physical effort so your channels are just all pushed open. Try meditating first then running straight after. Thats the easiest way.

I can even use qi while weight lifting and lift 90% of my max while totally relaxed just using the qi. It's so easy. To get to 100% i do have to tense up though. Tensing is how you get real gains though, but it also gives greater opportunity for injuries to occur.

Don't get me wrong, you can't use the qi to do what ur body is not capable of. But it does let you do what your body is capable of without effort, a struggle and much less pain.

Try it for your next 3 runs and i'm sure you will find some benefit in it. After the 3rd run you'll be able to do it alright as long as your qigong is ok. You can't be looking forward to the end of your run or thinking about what you'll do next or planning anything. Just be in the moment and enjoy what ur doing now. I'm sure it will be easier at the start of your run than towards the end when you're more tired. But keep practicing and the effortless portion of your run will slowly extend as your ability to maintain a relaxed state improves.

I don't meditate or practice qigong so I doubt I have much chi running through my body, I was just curious. Thanks, though. :)

I don't meditate or practice qigong so I doubt I have much chi running through my body, I was just curious. Thanks, though. :)