Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hi Kalidastony,

Thank you for your short and sweet evaluation of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and comparison with the other systems you have also practiced. There is nothing more gratifying for teachers like myself and Sifu Hearfield than to hear practitioners feel rejuvenated, get fast relief, conquer stress, heal from ailments, and otherwise derive the universally-experienced benefits of FPCK practice--for that means that the practitioner has done the work--the gong in the Qigong, and the Qi (in our case a very specific FP energy) has manifested and producing healthful, stress-eliminating results.

Good work, Kalidastony,and keep us appraised of your new FPCK experiences, and of course, post any questions that might arise along the way.

Pleasant journeying on the wings of the Phoenix.

Sifu Terry Dunn

FPCK folks:

Really good to see other practicioners' comments. Here are some observations, if they appeal to you try them otherwise ignore . I am a 30+ tai chi player. Many of the initial experiences and teachings, which initially rather baffled me have come clear in 18 months. Plus two session with Sifu Terry Dunn.

My observations/experience> Rooting: the long form weight shift in various movements, cradling eg., moving right the left heel digs in consciously move your intention to the opposite side heel as you shift weight, this really improves balance and rooting. Breath: moving your breath with though not locked to, your movement. Awareness of breath while moving deepens the practice and heals all wounds :rolleyes:. Posture: downward motion of the hands leads to stretching of the spine and energy flow along it. Do not be surprised by sudden, small pops along the spine as you make these movements.

Do the form slowly, I think Sifu Terry suggest working toward half the speed of Tai Chi form. I am closing in on this goal. It pushed me through a plateau I was on.

I do the form twice daily, along with a silk reeling work out and either of Tai Chi Chuan yang long form or shorter pieces, such as the 5 short fpck forms or 8 pieces of brocade.

Looking forward to reading this forum and your experience with chi kung, tai chi and especially FPCK

• Like 2

Hi Kalidastony,

Thank you for your short and sweet evaluation of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and comparison with the other systems you have also practiced. There is nothing more gratifying for teachers like myself and Sifu Hearfield than to hear practitioners feel rejuvenated, get fast relief, conquer stress, heal from ailments, and otherwise derive the universally-experienced benefits of FPCK practice--for that means that the practitioner has done the work--the gong in the Qigong, and the Qi (in our case a very specific FP energy) has manifested and producing healthful, stress-eliminating results.

Good work, Kalidastony,and keep us appraised of your new FPCK experiences, and of course, post any questions that might arise along the way.

Pleasant journeying on the wings of the Phoenix.

Sifu Terry Dunn

FPCK folks:

Really good to see other practicioners' comments. Here are some observations, if they appeal to you try them otherwise ignore . I am a 30+ tai chi player. Many of the initial experiences and teachings, which initially rather baffled me have come clear in 18 months. Plus two session with Sifu Terry Dunn.

My observations/experience> Rooting: the long form weight shift in various movements, cradling eg., moving right the left heel digs in consciously move your intention to the opposite side heel as you shift weight, this really improves balance and rooting. Breath: moving your breath with though not locked to, your movement. Awareness of breath while moving deepens the practice and heals all wounds :rolleyes:. Posture: downward motion of the hands leads to stretching of the spine and energy flow along it. Do not be surprised by sudden, small pops along the spine as you make these movements.

Do the form slowly, I think Sifu Terry suggest working toward half the speed of Tai Chi form. I am closing in on this goal. It pushed me through a plateau I was on.

I do the form twice daily, along with a silk reeling work out and either of Tai Chi Chuan yang long form or shorter pieces, such as the 5 short fpck forms or 8 pieces of brocade.

Looking forward to reading this forum and your experience with chi kung, tai chi and especially FPCK

My apologies in advance if questions similar to this were posted. I had dabbled with hard martial arts and Tai Chi over many years. However, in the past three year, I developed foot neuropathy which makes walking and standing for any length of time unbearable. So, I searched for a energy program that I could do from a seated position and found the Six Seated Meditations. It arrived today in the mail and decided to run a Google search that led me here.

I read a lot of the 84 (?) page dialogue and had a couple of questions. Again, apologies if these were asked and answered but I didn't see that in what I've read. Besides the neuropathy in my feet, my knees have had numerous surgeries and sitting in a half-lotus is really impossible. Is it ok to sit in a chair or on a stool while doing the exercises? Also, when speaking about exhaling, are you speaking about exhaling breath from the lungs or energy from the dan tien...or both?

From what I've read here, the key is to practice every day even if it's for a short time, e.g., fifteen minutes, to get the cumulative effect. It's also fine to begin with/learn the Six Seated Meditations first, although for full effect one will eventually need to learn the standing meditations too. Correct?

Thank you.

• Like 1

My apologies in advance if questions similar to this were posted. I had dabbled with hard martial arts and Tai Chi over many years. However, in the past three year, I developed foot neuropathy which makes walking and standing for any length of time unbearable. So, I searched for a energy program that I could do from a seated position and found the Six Seated Meditations. It arrived today in the mail and decided to run a Google search that led me here.

I read a lot of the 84 (?) page dialogue and had a couple of questions. Again, apologies if these were asked and answered but I didn't see that in what I've read. Besides the neuropathy in my feet, my knees have had numerous surgeries and sitting in a half-lotus is really impossible. Is it ok to sit in a chair or on a stool while doing the exercises? Also, when speaking about exhaling, are you speaking about exhaling breath from the lungs or energy from the dan tien...or both?

From what I've read here, the key is to practice every day even if it's for a short time, e.g., fifteen minutes, to get the cumulative effect. It's also fine to begin with/learn the Six Seated Meditations first, although for full effect one will eventually need to learn the standing meditations too. Correct?

Thank you.

Hello Badmonk,

Yes, that's correct: to derive the full benefit of the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung system, you will eventually have to practice all the basic Standing FP Exercises in Vols 1,3, 4, and 5--for the Standing FP Meditations are more powerful than the seated ones. This was told to me by GM Doo Wai when he first taught the FPCK system to me in 1991; through 21 years or practicing the FPCK System, I found that what he told me was true. Then after that, if you want to complete the system, there are the Advanced Standing FP Meditations (not yet on DVD) that entail very flowing, more complex choreographies.

But in the beginning, depending on one's preference, one can start with either the basic standing Meditations of Vol.1 and the Basic Seated Meditations of Vol. 2.

Good luck in your training.

Sifu Terry Dunn

FPCK folks:

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your good advice and guidance based on your solid experience with the FPCK Long Standing Meditation couched in your extensive Tai Chi Chuan background. It makes my job that much easier when readers/practitioners on this thread don't just have to take my word for it, but can rely on an independent third party such as you as well.

It was great working with you these past two occasions. Please make family plans/excuses to come out to Los Angeles again!

Best,

Terry Dunn

Hi Sifu Terry,

May I ask some general questions?:)

Do you know if the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and the White Tiger Chi Kung (passed down to Sifu Garry) are cultivating different types of healing energy? Did GM Doo Wai tell you something about the difference between the two ? Would you object to the practice of both (I think at least one contributor "Friend" of this thread has done it- don't know for how long)

Allow me to say that I am not trying to know which system is best (this is not relevant).

I am only asking if each system has a clear-cut identity within the Doo Wai family arts and if yes, what is their respective nature and purpose? I read that FP is said to come from a Goddess but it doesn't tell a lot about the inherent differences between FP and WT :)

Thank you.

Hello Badmonk,

Yes, that's correct: to derive the full benefit of the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung system, you will eventually have to practice all the basic Standing FP Exercises in Vols 1,3, 4, and 5--for the Standing FP Meditations are more powerful than the seated ones. This was told to me by GM Doo Wai when he first taught the FPCK system to me in 1991; through 21 years or practicing the FPCK System, I found that what he told me was true. Then after that, if you want to complete the system, there are the Advanced Standing FP Meditations (not yet on DVD) that entail very flowing, more complex choreographies.

But in the beginning, depending on one's preference, one can start with either the basic standing Meditations of Vol.1 and the Basic Seated Meditations of Vol. 2.

Good luck in your training.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please also address whether it is ok to sit in a chair or on a stool while doing the exercises? Also, when speaking about exhaling, are you speaking about exhaling breath from the lungs or energy from the dan tien...or both?

Hi Sifu Terry,

May I ask some general questions?:)

Do you know if the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and the White Tiger Chi Kung (passed down to Sifu Garry) are cultivating different types of healing energy? Did GM Doo Wai tell you something about the difference between the two ? Would you object to the practice of both (I think at least one contributor "Friend" of this thread has done it- don't know for how long)

Allow me to say that I am not trying to know which system is best (this is not relevant).

I am only asking if each system has a clear-cut identity within the Doo Wai family arts and if yes, what is their respective nature and purpose? I read that FP is said to come from a Goddess but it doesn't tell a lot about the inherent differences between FP and WT :)

Thank you.

Hello Hieronimous:

I've stated on this discussion thread several times during its first year that the Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditation system cultivates a distinctively tangible, healing energy that will even show up on a video camera once correct practice has been established.

I have stated--and will state here again--that the Bok Fu Pai (White Tiger) Meditations--of which there are many organized into several sub-systems that are all under the White Tiger banner--cultivate a (1) vital-health AND (2) martial energy that is delivered through the Bok Fu Pai and Omei Bak Mei Kung Fu Forms and techniques that Sifu Garry Hearfield specializes in. Besides basic BFP forms, I was also entrusted by my teacher, GM Doo Wai, with two other complete martial qigong systems, one a complete martial art known as Eight Sections of Energy Combined ("Bot Dim Gum" in Cantonese),and the other the "10,000 Buddhas Meditations" (named after a location at Ehrmeishan) which consists of 48 martial Qigong exercises that also promote health. Each of these martial Qigong systems cultivate a rare "composite" internal energy that is distinguishable from each other and which are each entirely different from the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung's healing energy.

The Flying Phoenix Qigong as a discipline is the "safety net" traditionally taught first in the White Tiger that enables the student to safely practice and apply the BFP Kung Fu training and the other martial and spiritual qigong systems.

There is no "better" or "best" internal art within the Ehrmei White Tiger School. There is what there is and every White Tiger sub-system that has been preserved by six generations of the Doo family and now are being preserved by Sifu Hearfield and myself are cultural treasures from China's antiquity.

There is, however, correct and incorrect practice, the later fallen into by the impatient or the stupid...such as those that believe there's anything to be gained by attempting to practice the Advanced (Level 2) Flying Phoenix Meditations without having first mastered the Basic Flying Phoenix Meditations as presented in my DVD series (which are not "basic" at all--when compared to all other widely published and taught Qigong systems).

Hope this answers your question, H.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Sifu Terry,

I have stated--and will state here again--that the Bok Fu Pai (White Tiger) Meditations--of which there are many organized into several sub-systems that are all under the White Tiger banner--cultivate a (a) vital-health AND (B) martial energy that is delivered through the Bok Fu Pai and Omei Bak Mei Kung Fu Forms and techniques that Sifu Garry Hearfield specializes in.

My mistake, Sifu Terry, I have missed the different details contained in your statement above when I read the thread. Sorry to make you repeat the same thing over and over.

The Flying Phoenix Qigong as a discipline is the "safety net" traditionally taught first in the White Tiger that enables the student to safely practice and apply the BFP Kung Fu training and the other martial and spiritual qigong systems.

There is no "better" or "best" internal art within the White Tiger School. There is what there is and every White Tiger sub-system that has been preserved by six generations of the Doo family and now are being preserved by Sifu Hearfield and myself are cultural treasures from China's antiquity.

There is, however, correct and incorrect practice, the later fallen into by the impatient or the stupid...such as those that believe there's anything to be gained by attempting to practice the Advanced (Level 2) Flying Phoenix Meditations without having first mastered the Basic Flying Phoenix Meditations as presented in my DVD series (which are not "basic" at all--when compared to all other widely published and taught Qigong systems).

Hope this answers your question, H.

I have understood. This answers my question. Thank you very much. :)

I will come back here to report the results of my practice. I will order some DVDs.

H.

Edited by hieronimus
  • Like 1

Hello Sifu Terry,

My mistake, Sifu Terry, I have missed the different details contained in your statement above when I read the thread. Sorry to make you repeat the same thing over and over.

I will come back here to report the results of my practice. I will order some DVDs.

H.

Does this Flying Phoenix Chi Kung really do anything?

Well last nite was the first time I did not do the Vol. 7 first meditation which is said to promote good sleep.

I went to bed at my regular time but this morning woke up feeling so very tired which I have not experienced since beginning this meditation several weeks ago. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting!

post-86937-134096926795_thumb.jpg

Can anyone comment on whether it is ok to sit in a chair or on a stool while doing the seated exercises? U have several medical issues that make standing, esp for several minutes, rather difficult and painful. If you'd be so kind as enlighten me...when speaking exhaling, are we speaking about exhaling breath from the lungs or energy from the dan tien...or both? Thank you in advance for reading my post.

Can anyone comment on whether it is ok to sit in a chair or on a stool while doing the seated exercises? U have several medical issues that make standing, esp for several minutes, rather difficult and painful. If you'd be so kind as enlighten me...when speaking exhaling, are we speaking about exhaling breath from the lungs or energy from the dan tien...or both? Thank you in advance for reading my post.

Hello BadMonk,

About seated meditations, go to page 55, post#871, you will find there the answer to your question by Sifu Terry.

About exhalation, I understood that it is just a normal exhalation (from the lungs).

Hope it helps

Edited by hieronimus

Yes, that helps lots. I must have missed #871 in my haste to find an answer. Thank you for your time and response.

Dear Sifu Terry,

One quick question about the breath :

Practicing after 2 years and 400+ repetititions of the long form, I finally managed to let breathing go on its own rhytm.The surprise came when I realized it is going on like one cycle (inhale+exhale) in 2 to 2,5 seconds, using only about 20-30 % of my breathing capacity. I was not expecting this at all, it is like when I sometimes notice my breathing just right after I wake up, looks like I breath like this in the final part of my sleep also. Is this normal, or am I on a different direction?

My impressions :

The long form (as well as the other standing static and moving forms) makes me feel like a cat, relaxed, very alert and never limp.

The breath inflates my belly freely, I drop and let go my lower back and also the front lower abdomen muscles, I turn from my waist, my hands float, shoulders are down, in wide stances, the testicles drop and rise according to the breath. The form also opened up my feet close to the balls of the feet, when I take notice of them, my stomach fills with joyful energy even when I just walk, I also experience burning heat in the front parts of under my feet in stances.

I used to see chi only in open air like very small sparkles, and I see them now also indoors.

My mind, heart and palms sort of combine and feel like a single unit, I cannot describe it well, but the hands glow with compassion as well as reflecting the strength of my intention or will. Glow color is whitish yellow ,very little blue inside my forehead.

As to shakings, a month ago, after a strong ride during bending the bows, shaking energy transformed into a white glowing with an orgasmic feeling and stopped, and after that, I only shake when my mind wanders during the exercises.

These are some of my physical transformation impressions from the FPCK standing forms.

My very best ,

Cihan

• Like 1

Hello Sifu Terry,

H.

Hi Hieronimous,

No problem at all. I don't mind repeating. This is quite a long discussion thread and not everyone has time to read through it all--let alone by sheer luck find the key passages that answer their questions.

And for wider perspective on the Bok Fu Pai tradition and other internal training methods, please consult with Sifu Garry Hearfield. We are in touch constantly, have an active exchange of BFP knowledge, and share a common philosophy when it comes to teaching the BFP arts.

Enjoy your practice and we all look forward to your report on your experiences.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi Sihing,

Great answer regarding What is better!! Its how you practice, its how deep you wanna go, even the buddha was enlightened by just sitting still under a tree. Ever system has the keys and methods hidden within but some systems energitics work better with some than others.

If you are learning FP and find it, it is giving you benifits you stick with it and cultivate, research ever minute movement, what does it feel like, can u understand it, have you mastered that simple movement or meditation fully before atempting another, be honest to yourself cause at the end of the day thats all its about YOURSELF & the ENERGY/Qi!

Sifu Garry :)

Sorry to have missed answering your question the first time around, Badmonk.

Answer: the FP Seated Meditations were created to be done in a half-lotus or full-lotus position and that's how they were taught to me. If one has a disability and cannot assume a half-lotus or seated cross-legged posture, then next best is using a thick meditation cushion that raises the body mass 6" or more above the floor, making it easier to cross the legs. If that isn't possible, then sitting in a chair with feet flat on floor and the back vertical is the next best thing. (On the other hand, if one just has very tight musculature in the legs and hips, one should work hard at daily stretching to assume the 1/2 lotus position, and develop the flexibility to sit in it for extended periods of meditation.) But it sounds like you have medical issues that prevent you from doing that.

Regarding breathing from lungs or tan tien: This may surprise you, but in the case Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, the answer is: it doesn't matter! Just doing the FP Meditations consistently--each exercise with its own unique breath control sequence--over the long term will condition the breathing so as to cultivate the FP Healing Chi and impart rejuvenation and healing. If one is an experienced meditator or has done other Qigong methods, there's no harm in focussing the breathing in the tan tien. But it isn't necessary or mandatory. The requisite for success in the FP Chi Kung system is expressed in the early Nike ad campaign: JUST DO IT.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hello again Sifu Terry,

I read several times in the thread that it is not advisable to learn FP together with learning another qigong system whatever purpose (health, martial or spiritual) it would have.

It is commonly said that Tai Chi Chuan is multi-layered and that the TCC forms have actually qigong in them. In another perspective, some TCC instructors say one must be able to stand in zhan zhuang for a solid amount of time then move to tai chi qigong before ending with the actual form.

In your opinion, what would be the best way forward if one wants to learn a health/martial/spiritual system like Tai Chi Chuan besides learning FP?

Many thanks

Hieronimus

• Like 1

I've stated on this discussion thread several times during its first year that the Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditation system cultivates a distinctively tangible, healing energy that will even show up on a video camera once correct practice has been established.

I have stated--and will state here again--that the Bok Fu Pai (White Tiger) Meditations--of which there are many organized into several sub-systems that are all under the White Tiger banner--cultivate a (a) vital-health AND (B) martial energy that is delivered through the Bok Fu Pai and Omei Bak Mei Kung Fu Forms and techniques that Sifu Garry Hearfield specializes in. Besides basic BFP forms, I was also entrusted by my teacher, GM Doo Wai, with two other complete martial qigong systems, one a complete martial art known as Eight Sections of Energy Combined ("Bot Dim Gum" in Cantonese),and the other the "10,000 Buddhas Meditations" (named after a location at Ehrmeishan) which consists of 48 martial Qigong exercises that also promote health. Each of these martial Qigong systems cultivate a rare "composite" internal energy that is distinguishable from each other and which are each entirely different from the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung's healing energy.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Sifu Terry,

I practiced 'Chi Kung for Health: Volume Six- Advanced Martial Meditations' AKA 'Chi Kung for Health Volume Five: Taoist Yoga for Strength and Vitality' (VHS) regularly for 6yrs before moving to some of the Flying Phoenix Meditations and can say, without any doubt that there is a big difference in the qi generated and the effects on the body and consciousness between the two. My VHS player stopped working soon after I started... and before I memorized all of 'Chi Kung for Health Volume Five: Taoist Yoga for Strength and Vitality' so I only practiced "Temple Guardian Stands at the Gate, Two Rivers Flow as One, Monk Splashes Water and Jade Emperor Lifts the Golden Pagoda."

I now know that starting with these before Flying Phoenix is probably the wrong thing to do, but I didn't know any better at the time.

This is just my confirmation for whatever it may be worth, that there is a big difference in type and feeling of qi in the Martial based forms and that found in Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Thank you for making these authentic teachings available and for your support through this forum.

Gary

I read several times in the thread that it is not advisable to learn FP together with learning another qigong system whatever purpose (health, martial or spiritual) it would have.

It is commonly said that Tai Chi Chuan is multi-layered and that the TCC forms have actually qigong in them. In another perspective, some TCC instructors say one must be able to stand in zhan zhuang for a solid amount of time then move to tai chi qigong before ending with the actual form.

Hieronimus

This is only my understanding.

It doesn't apply to any particular style, but based for answering your question sake.

In general, before I going into any style, I must get the fundamental straight to avoid confusing myself with other stuffs.

Here are the fundamentals:

1. Zhan Zhuang is basically a horse stance standing with the knees bend at a comfortable angle for building up muscle tone(harden the muscles).

2. Chi Kung is always involves in breathing. However, lots of people don't think so and that is where the confusion begins and contradicting in the Chi Kung practice. In addition, it causes lots of miscommunication among themselves.

Zhan Zhuang is almost a requirement for all martial arts except Tai Chi Chuan. I have started practicing TCC since 1975. I was never told to do Zhan Zhuang to begin with at any time. Indeed, there was no doubt that Chi Kung is in part of TCC practice.

If I use a little common sense, then I probably could come up with some good reasoning within the definitions above.

There are many movements in TCC with the knee bend standing on one leg alternately with the other leg. Standing on one leg with bending of the knee that fits the description of Zhuang Zhan. In addition, the slow body movements also was guiding the breathing during practice which is considered to be Chi Kung.

If one could follow these thoughts, then everything will fall into place. Leaning too many styles and listening to too many teachers will just be more confusing. It is not the more the merrier concept here.

Edited by ChiDragon

ChiDragon- your understanding is very inaccurate.

I am trying to avoid using the the word "accurate" or "inaccurate" by using the words "basic fundamental". That will leave room for expansion. I will not say that I am all accurate, I will only say that is to my understanding and leave room for the reader to evaluate what was given.

I always try to look at matters objectively as simple as possible for clarity. I can always add on other stuffs. Indeed, I do grant you that some instructors do use alternate method on top of the most basic fundamentals but it may not be in all cases.

Edited by ChiDragon

This is a FP thread for Sifu Terry and his students, I think its best you start new thread for Sifu Terry based on his Taiji. FP Uses seated, standing, kneeling, moving meditations some hold postures some move, as for horse stance Ma Bo, doesnt matter if its long or wide or short and low its still horse stance and it will build internal energy within the body. Some say external internl systems only have this that isnt completely true, both have it depending on system, now holding wide and low most people cannot hold for long but can hold feet shoulder width longer so why shouldnt wide and deeper not be part of your development?

Taiji has low horse stance during the form and many other internal arts, jaam jong is based on standing be it short or long stance both should be taught and developed.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Sorry to see that my question stirs up some reactions. Thank you for contributing with good intentions.

I am just asking whether one could learn FP in parallel with learning Tai Chi Chuan without compromising FP energetical work. In this regard, I do think my question is rightful here in this thread.

My question was not specifically about Tai Chi Chuan theory per se. I am not knowledgeable enough on this matter to raise a question about TCC theory.

Best regards,

Edited by hieronimus

I seem to remember Master Dunn suggesting it is absolutely fine to learn Taiji at the same time as FP, but not perhaps in the same session. So leave maybe 15 minutes minimum, or perhaps a few hours, between practicing FP, and then doing your Taiji.

I am lucky enough to have a life organised where i can practice daily in large chunks. If I do an hour of FP, I would then do an hour of meditation, not FP, before going into Taiji form. It gives the FP energy, which is very specific, time to integrate and settle.

I would also suggest that although Taiji is also Qigong, it can take quite some time before your Taiji form becomes an effective and powerful Qigong. At first, while you are learning, and your mind is all over the place, and your breathing is not coordinated, it is more of Taiji dance, than internal work.

I remember Erle Montaigue telling me, he thought it was three years before Taiji becomes effective Qigong. Until then, you are still finding your way. And Erle knew his Taiji and Qigong.

As far as Horse stance is concerned, I remember Wong kiew Kit saying that it should always be an internal practice. There are far better ways to strengthen the legs. Standing in a low horse stance for maybe an hour should not be a strength exercise. it should be an internal, energetic exercise.

Anyway......just my opinions. I am sure Master Dunn will be along soon to put us all right.

• Like 3