Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

And my own question for Master Dunn

Back on pages 50 and 51 (I've been studying), you were asked advice on the best way to move forward, after one has learnt all of the FP material from the currently available DVDs.

You suggested attending either private classes in LA, or attending some workshops. Good advice !

But, for those of us in England, and I am sure there are plenty, thats not so easy. I used to do a lot of healing in LA, and in AZ too, but travel to and from the USA every month was too tiring, so I rarely travel to the states anymore. Plus, my healing work in the UK keeps me committed here for most of my time.

So is it an impossibility for us to get you to come to England for a workshop ? If there were enough of us ? You'd love the weather !

And would something like some of Sufu Gary's Burning Palm material, or some of his other meditations and Qi work, although not part of the FP system, compliment, or confuse ?

Thanks for your continued input on this thread.

• Like 1

I've stated on this discussion thread several times during its first year that the Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditation system cultivates a distinctively tangible, healing energy that will even show up on a video camera once correct practice has been established.

I have stated--and will state here again--that the Bok Fu Pai (White Tiger) Meditations--of which there are many organized into several sub-systems that are all under the White Tiger banner--cultivate a (a) vital-health AND (B) martial energy that is delivered through the Bok Fu Pai and Omei Bak Mei Kung Fu Forms and techniques that Sifu Garry Hearfield specializes in. Besides basic BFP forms, I was also entrusted by my teacher, GM Doo Wai, with two other complete martial qigong systems, one a complete martial art known as Eight Sections of Energy Combined ("Bot Dim Gum" in Cantonese),and the other the "10,000 Buddhas Meditations" (named after a location at Ehrmeishan) which consists of 48 martial Qigong exercises that also promote health. Each of these martial Qigong systems cultivate a rare "composite" internal energy that is distinguishable from each other and which are each entirely different from the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung's healing energy.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Sifu Terry,

I practiced 'Chi Kung for Health: Volume Six- Advanced Martial Meditations' AKA 'Chi Kung for Health Volume Five: Taoist Yoga for Strength and Vitality' (VHS) regularly for 6yrs before moving to some of the Flying Phoenix Meditations and can say, without any doubt that there is a big difference in the qi generated and the effects on the body and consciousness between the two. My VHS player stopped working soon after I started... and before I memorized all of 'Chi Kung for Health Volume Five: Taoist Yoga for Strength and Vitality' so I only practiced "Temple Guardian Stands at the Gate, Two Rivers Flow as One, Monk Splashes Water and Jade Emperor Lifts the Golden Pagoda."

I now know that starting with these before Flying Phoenix is probably the wrong thing to do, but I didn't know any better at the time.

This is just my confirmation for whatever it may be worth, that there is a big difference in type and feeling of qi in the Martial based forms and that found in Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Thank you for making these authentic teachings available and for your support through this forum.

Gary

This is just my confirmation for whatever it may be worth, that there is a big difference in type and feeling of qi in the Martial based forms and that found in Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Dear Gary,

Thank you very much for sharing your perspective as one who has practiced other Bok Fu Pai internal energy exercises prior to practicing the Flying Phoenix Qigong and making the above confirmation. I'm delighted to hear from someone like you who has practiced the powerful BFP exercises on Vol.6 of the old VHS series for six years. The fact that you've practiced these powerful meditations gives you a leg-up over FP Qigong practitioners who have not had the benefit of this foundation. And NO, you did not proceed wrongly in practicing these exercises prior to practicing the FP Qigong. For my teacher taught our group these martial qigong exercises (as seen on Vol.6) at the same time that he taught me the FP Qigong. To clarify: it was my teacher, GM Doo Wai, who was taught the Flying Phoenix Qigong first in his childhood as a "safety net" and precursor to all the other internal arts of Bok Fu Pai that he would later master.

What I called the "Taoist Yoga for Strength and Vitality" on the old Volume 6 VHS tape (filmed at Stonehenge in 1995) is a collection of powerful BFP health/martial qigong exercises that our teacher taught our group parallel to teaching me the Flying Phoenix Qigong. As you may have discovered, each of those exercises can empower martial art to profound effect. I have been planning a re-release of the Vol.6 Stonehenge material in a new program...hopefully within a year.

Thanks again for your helpful input.

Sifu Terry

P.S. btw, to let you know how the Tao was turning that summer day in 1995, I was in the U.K. in pursuit of the love of my life--and during that time also hooked up and toured the country with my mentor in film and all things cinematographic, Michael Wadleigh, who was living in Wales at the time with his companion Ms. Cleo Huggins. Michael is the renowned director of the "Woodstock" musical documentary of 1969 and without any prior planning, we spontaneously decided to shoot what ultimately became Vol.6 of the VHS series right there at Stonehenge because the conditions were right on every level. Michael Wadleigh filmed all the footage seen on Vol.6 on a Hi-8 camera without a tripod.

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Flying Phoenix practitioners and others:

Steve Mehl ("tao mist")sent a question to me thru email because he had trouble posting it to the thread. I post our dialog here because at the end, I expressed the high watermark for proper Flying Phoenix practice:

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM, steve mehl <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Sifu Terry,

After at least 4 attempts to post a recent question to you but it not showing up on the thread, I am sending it to your email instead.

After doing all the meditations on vol. one for the past 4 months I am now doing the last one, Wind Above the Cloud, but you do not mention how many repetitions for that one are Rx.

Also, your closing remarks say to do 50-40-30 before each time you do this meditation. Do you mean the breathing sequence has to be done each time we do one rep of WATC?

Steve

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:18:23 -0700

Subject: Re: posting problems...

To: [email protected]

Hi Steve,

Answer re Wind Above the Clouds:

Yes, you do only ONE repetition of the movements with ONE breath control sequence. that's the complete exercise. If you want to do the Meditation more than once, then you wait a couple of minutes then do the whole cycle over again: breath control sequence of 50 40 30 + one sequence of the movements.

Sifu Terry

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM, steve mehl <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply Sifu Terry! How many reps do recommend for this one? Or is one a day good enough?

Steve

Steve,

One is fine and can be sufficient. It depends how well you do each one. The high criteria for FP practice is this and its equivalent:

Your movements become so effortless (frictionless) that you no longer feel your body.

(and with FP Qigong and its breath-control sequences, this state is attainable much, much faster than through all other Qigong systems that I have practiced.)

Until you reach this state of mind-body integration with the Tao, practice it and the other FP Meditations as often as you can.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Flying Phoenix practitioners and others:

Steve Mehl ("tao mist")sent a question to me thru email because he had trouble posting it to the thread. I post our dialog here because at the end, I expressed the high watermark for proper Flying Phoenix practice:

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM, steve mehl <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Sifu Terry,

After at least 4 attempts to post a recent question to you but it not showing up on the thread, I am sending it to your email instead.

After doing all the meditations on vol. one for the past 4 months I am now doing the last one, Wind Above the Cloud, but you do not mention how many repetitions for that one are Rx.

Also, your closing remarks say to do 50-40-30 before each time you do this meditation. Do you mean the breathing sequence has to be done each time we do one rep of WATC?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Answer re Wind Above the Clouds:

Yes, you do only ONE repetition of the movements with ONE breath control sequence. that's the complete exercise. If you want to do the Meditation more than once, then you wait a couple of minutes then do the whole cycle over again: breath control sequence of 50 40 30 + one sequence of the movements.

Sifu Terry

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM, steve mehl <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply Sifu Terry! How many reps do recommend for this one? Or is one a day good enough?

Steve

Steve,

One is fine and can be sufficient. It depends how well you do each one. The high criteria for FP practice is this and its equivalent:

Your movements become so effortless (frictionless) that you no longer feel your body.

(and with FP Qigong and its breath-control sequences, this state is attainable much, much faster than through all other Qigong systems that I have practiced.)

Until you reach this state of mind-body integration with the Tao, practice it and the other FP Meditations as often as you can.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Thank you Sifu Terry for that inspiring reply for the benchmark of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung. This reminds me of what one of Sifu Lew K. Share's students told me about the authentic way he was taught to do the Mircocosmic Orbit from Master Lew. He has been practicing this now for over 40 years as he studied as a teen in Los Angeles with Master Lew. Michael Milner told me that when he and I do Transcendenal Meditation we transcend thinking. But when he does this style of MCO, I forget the Chinese name you guys call it, you transcend the thinking and the body. So when you said we will get to the point of doing FP without feeling the body doing it, this reminds me of what transcending is like. Maharishi of TM at first called TM "The Big Automatic" because it is done effortlessly. So I think doing FP effortlessly as the body almost moves on its own must be like this. I understand this guideline and I will work at this until I reach that state. This is why I no longer own a television.

Steve

Edited by tao mist
  • Like 1

This is a FP thread for Sifu Terry and his students, I think its best you start new thread for Sifu Terry based on his Taiji. FP Uses seated, standing, kneeling, moving meditations some hold postures some move, as for horse stance Ma Bo, doesnt matter if its long or wide or short and low its still horse stance and it will build internal energy within the body. Some say external internl systems only have this that isnt completely true, both have it depending on system, now holding wide and low most people cannot hold for long but can hold feet shoulder width longer so why shouldnt wide and deeper not be part of your development?

Taiji has low horse stance during the form and many other internal arts, jaam jong is based on standing be it short or long stance both should be taught and developed.

Thank you very much, Sifu Hearfield, for addressing Chi Dragon's rather erroneous thinking out loud on many counts.

Hello all,

Sorry to see that my question stirs up some reactions. Thank you for contributing with good intentions.

I am just asking whether one could learn FP in parallel with learning Tai Chi Chuan without compromising FP energetical work. In this regard, I do think my question is rightful here in this thread.

My question was not specifically about Tai Chi Chuan theory per se. I am not knowledgeable enough on this matter to raise a question about TCC theory.

Best regards,

Hello Hieronimous,

Answer to your question is simple and based on common sense:

Yes, one can learn the Flying Phoenix Qigong while learning the basics of Tai Chi Chuan. The first 3 to 5 years of Tai Chi Chuan training involve mostly form training, the start of Push-hands, and possibly weapons forms. None of this interferes with or is interfered by FP Qigong practice. Except for extremely rare situations, most Tai Chi Qigong is taught well after 8-9 years of training and usually in 2nd decade of training or later. To use my background to illustrate this point: I had started training in the Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) kung-fu and neigung taught by Master Share K. Lew 5 years before I started seriously training in Yang Tai Chi Chuan under Master Abraham Liu in 1980. Throughout the first 15 years of my Tai Chi training, and continuing to this day, I also practiced the TTP internal arts. Starting in 1991, I practiced all the internal arts of the White Tiger system including Flying Phoenix parallel to my continuing training in Tai Chi Chuan. There has never been a conflict between my Tai Chi Chuan training--nor my Six Harmonies/Eight Methods (Liu He Ba Fa) training, for that matter--and the Qigong training in other systems, because the Tai Chi and Kung fu had been well established prior to my learning Qigong.

Previously on this thread, I strongly advised all beginning practitioners NOT to learn FP Qigong at the same time that they were learning a different Qigong system. The reasons for avoiding this simultaneous training situation are obvious:

(1) In some cases, the internal energy cultivation method of one Qigong system may obstruct or cancel out the cultivation method of the other.

(2) If a beginner is learning 2 systems at once, he/she won't be able to tell which Qigong system is having what energy effects on him/her.

So learning 2 or more qigong systems would most likely lead to confusion and the probably degrade the optimal effects of one or both of the Qigong systems.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with learning and mastering different Qigong systems in their entirety, one after another.

So proceed, Hieronimous!

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S. Much earlier in this thread, I had addressed someone's perceived interrelationship or similarity between Zhan Zhuang posture and "Monk Gazing At Moon" exercise in the FP system.

I seem to remember Master Dunn suggesting it is absolutely fine to learn Taiji at the same time as FP, but not perhaps in the same session. So leave maybe 15 minutes minimum, or perhaps a few hours, between practicing FP, and then doing your Taiji.

I am lucky enough to have a life organised where i can practice daily in large chunks. If I do an hour of FP, I would then do an hour of meditation, not FP, before going into Taiji form. It gives the FP energy, which is very specific, time to integrate and settle.

I would also suggest that although Taiji is also Qigong, it can take quite some time before your Taiji form becomes an effective and powerful Qigong. At first, while you are learning, and your mind is all over the place, and your breathing is not coordinated, it is more of Taiji dance, than internal work.

I remember Erle Montaigue telling me, he thought it was three years before Taiji becomes effective Qigong. Until then, you are still finding your way. And Erle knew his Taiji and Qigong.

As far as Horse stance is concerned, I remember Wong kiew Kit saying that it should always be an internal practice. There are far better ways to strengthen the legs. Standing in a low horse stance for maybe an hour should not be a strength exercise. it should be an internal, energetic exercise.

Anyway......just my opinions. I am sure Master Dunn will be along soon to put us all right.

Hello Jeremiah Z,

Thanks for your thoughtful and answer to Hieronimous's question about practicing Tai Chi and FP Qigong simultanously.

Your suggestions are good ones; your points are all accurate and grounded in good experience. Earle Montague is correct in assessing time for Tai Chi to become rudimentary Qigong. Call it "Advanced" Tai Chi Qigong--that comes with instruction in breathing, which is taught much, much later, if at all.

As I had explained in detail in my post addressing Hieronimous's question, there is FP Qigong training does not interfere with basic or intermediate Tai Chi training as long as one doesn't practice them together in the same session but takes a 10-15 minute break between the two practices, or does basic Tai Chi training interfere with FP conditioning.

As for the focus in horse stance training being either to strengthen the muscles of the legs or to develop internal energy: that is the difference between "external" martial arts and "internal" forms--and also a function of whether the practitioner is young or older. Wong Kiew Kit of course is a seasoned Tai Chi master. His focus in teaching horse stance would naturally be on internal cultivation. If one correctly practices deep horse stances in even so-called "external" kung-fu systems, one will still inevitably develop internal energy...because the correct horse stance (ma bu) integrates mind and body. I am in total agreement with Sifu Hearfield here when it comes to traditional horse training. The "hard" training in horses and postures in all Chinese martial art systems--including Tai Chi--is to condition one's physical body and develop proper body mechanics (i.e., perfect natural movement), integrate mind and body, ground one's energy, and start to organize one's Will, preparing it for eventual development to its highest potential (for when one is a youthful beginner, one has not yet developed a mature will, but just has a chaos of whims...and this undeveloped state is clearly reflected in the quality of one's martial art).

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

And my own question for Master Dunn

Back on pages 50 and 51 (I've been studying), you were asked advice on the best way to move forward, after one has learnt all of the FP material from the currently available DVDs.

You suggested attending either private classes in LA, or attending some workshops. Good advice !

But, for those of us in England, and I am sure there are plenty, thats not so easy. I used to do a lot of healing in LA, and in AZ too, but travel to and from the USA every month was too tiring, so I rarely travel to the states anymore. Plus, my healing work in the UK keeps me committed here for most of my time.

So is it an impossibility for us to get you to come to England for a workshop ? If there were enough of us ? You'd love the weather !

And would something like some of Sufu Gary's Burning Palm material, or some of his other meditations and Qi work, although not part of the FP system, compliment, or confuse ?

Thanks for your continued input on this thread.

Greetings again, Jeramiah Zeitigeist,

Answers to your two questions:

(1) If you had the necessary time for it, training in the other internal arts of Bok Fu Pai--such as Sifu Garry's Burning Palm system would not detract or confuse one's training and development in Flying Phoenix Qigong because they are part of the same Family of internal arts originated by Feng Tao Teh of Erhmeishan. Training in any of the Bok Fu Pai martial systems would only strengthen oneself--one's entire life process--and expand and enhance once's healing capabilities. Remember that the Chinese holistic tradition is "healer by day; martial artist by night". As I had also mentioned in a recent post, I am a preserver of two other complete internal martial arts ("Eight Sections Combined" and "10,000 Buddhas Meditations" as well as a small fraction of the Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu system, and these other martial arts--have only enhanced my cultivation of the Flying Phoenix Healing Chi.

(2) It is absolutely NOT an impossibility for me to come to England to give a workshop or two. I love your fair country, especially the countryside. And as you might have read in my post above #1322 in response to Gary ("qihealing"), I actually filmed one of my old CKFH videos (Vol.6 of he old VHS series) at Stonehenge back in 1995 with a favorite director and friend of mine who has been residing in Wales all this time.

I have several dear friends in the arts (not martial arts) in London and would love to make a journey to the U.K. to teach y'all (as they say in Texas) some Flying Phoenix Qigong--as much as you can take. Not only that, the Flying Phoenix Healing art had reached English shores in the past as my teacher, Grandmaster Doo Wai, was once invited to give treatments Queen Elizabeth II as an herbalist and energy healer. This shouldn't surprise you as some practical Old World ways never change: high alchemic art was always sought out by enlightened monarchs throughout their realms. Word of my teacher's healing prowess somehow got to the royal family; he was engaged in Hong Kong by agents of the royal family, brought to London, and after dispensing his services for Her Majesty, was given several letters of thanks by the Queen's ladies-in-waiting (which he had shown to me).

Please contact me at [email protected] to plot such a workshop either in the near or distant future.

Thank you and best regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Greetings again, Jeramiah Zeitigeist,

Answers to your two questions:

(1) If you had the necessary time for it, training in the other internal arts of Bok Fu Pai--such as Sifu Garry's Burning Palm system would not detract or confuse one's training and developement in Flying Phoenix Qigong because they are part of the same Family of internal arts originated by Feng Tao Teh of Erhmeishan. Training in any of the Bok Fu Pai martial systems would only strengthen oneself--one's entire life process--and expand and enhance once's healing capabilities. Remember that the Chinese holistic tradition is "healer by day; martial artist by night". As I had also mentioned in a recent post, I am a preserver of two other complete internal martial arts ("Eight Sections Combined" and "10,000 Buddhas Meditations" as well as a small fraction of the Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu system, and these other martial arts--have only enhanced my cultivation of the Flying Phoenix Healing Chi.

(2) It is absolutely NOT an impossibility for me to come to England to give a workshop or two. I love your fair country, especially the countryside. And as you might have read in my post above #1322 in response to Gary ("qihealing"), I actually filmed one of my old CKFH videos (Vol.6 of he old VHS series) at Stonehenge back in 1995 with a favorite director and friend of mine who has been residing in Wales all this time.

I have many dear friends in the arts (not martial arts) in London and would love to make a journey to the U.K. to teach y'all (as they say in Texas) some Flying Phoenix Qigong--as much as you can take. Not only that, the Flying Phoenix Healing art had reached English shores in the past as my teacher, Grandmaster Doo Wai, was once invited to give treatments Queen Elizabeth II as an herbalist and energy healer. This shouldn't surprise you as some practical Old World ways never change: high alchemic art is always sought out by enlightened monarchs throughout their realms. My teacher was engaged in Hong Kong by agents of the royal family, brought to London, and after dispensing his services, was given numerous letters of thanks by the Queen's ladies-in-waiting (which he had shown to me).

Please contact me at [email protected] to plot such a workshop either in the near or distant future.

Thank you and best regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you very much Sifu Terry and Jeramiah Zeitigeist for answering my question. I will work on developping my common sense and reasoning ;)

Hello Master Dunn

Thanks for your reply.

Absolutely fascinating to hear the story about QE2. Very interesting indeed. I treat people on the edges of the royal family and have heard rumours (Oh, so many rumours), but never anything concrete.

Great to hear you would be prepared to come to England and do a workshop. I would be more than happy to organise that. I have contacts everywhere, and work in London too, so that might be a good location, especially as you have friends there. We can start by gauging interest on this thread, and on the wider Tao Bums forum, and see what happens.

I do remember seeing the DVD cover with Stonehenge in the background. In a previous life, well, twenty years ago, I was an archaeologist, so I am fascinated by stone circles. I'd be interested to hear what you thought about the energy there ?

I will correspond directly with you by email, regarding planning the workshop(s)

I am lucky, with time, that I reduced my working week from 90 hours, down to 70 hours, then 60 hours, and now I only work two or three days a week. The rest I can devote to to Taiji, Qigong, meditation, writing, and general fun. So I believe I have the time to train not only in FP, but also in wider aspects of the family system. So I would like to speak to you a little more about the best options there.

I'll do that by email too.

Best wishes to you, and thanks again.

• Like 1

Hello Master Dunn

Thanks for your reply.

Absolutely fascinating to hear the story about QE2. Very interesting indeed. I treat people on the edges of the royal family and have heard rumours (Oh, so many rumours), but never anything concrete.

Great to hear you would be prepared to come to England and do a workshop. I would be more than happy to organise that. I have contacts everywhere, and work in London too, so that might be a good location, especially as you have friends there. We can start by gauging interest on this thread, and on the wider Tao Bums forum, and see what happens.

I do remember seeing the DVD cover with Stonehenge in the background. In a previous life, well, twenty years ago, I was an archaeologist, so I am fascinated by stone circles. I'd be interested to hear what you thought about the energy there ?

I will correspond directly with you by email, regarding planning the workshop(s)

I am lucky, with time, that I reduced my working week from 90 hours, down to 70 hours, then 60 hours, and now I only work two or three days a week. The rest I can devote to to Taiji, Qigong, meditation, writing, and general fun. So I believe I have the time to train not only in FP, but also in wider aspects of the family system. So I would like to speak to you a little more about the best options there.

I'll do that by email too.

Best wishes to you, and thanks again.

Dear Jeremiah Z,

Fascinating that you were an archaeologist in your previous life this life. I can't believe that that inner discipline isn't still screaming for more digs to work. You are indeed very lucky to be able to concentrate your work hours into a couple of days each week and to be able to spend much time writing and practicing things holistic and having fun. I have had a similar lifestyle starting from 1991 when I retired from a successful corporate career that was everything except meaningful--to proliferate the practice of Tai Chi, Qigong, and healing arts through media projects (television and film as well as dvds).

Thank you so much for your kind and generous offer to organize Flying Phoenix Qigong workshops in the U.K. for me. Although this isn't obvious through one's individual practice, it has been my constant experience in teaching--without exception--that group practice of the FP Qigong accelerates the energizing effects on each individual at a geometric rate.

My teacher, GM Doo Wai, when he first authorized me to publish videos teaching the FP Qigong in 1993, casually prophesied, "you will get a lot of good response from this art." With the DVD's completed in 2003, and with the tremendous aid of the internet and this discussion thread, I think we've crossed a critical threshold where smart people are recognizing the powerful potential of this safe and fast-working Qigong system.

I look forward to plotting with you FP Qigong workshops in the U.K.

Sincerely,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

qihealing -

Very nice job of describing the *feeling* one experiences while practicing FP.

Your description is very consistent with what I feel while practicing FP. I have made attempt to describe the experience of FP practice myself however over time as my practice has deepened I honestly find myself at a loss for words.

The experience of FP is unique and unlike any other form of qigong or meditation that I have tried. I can say FP has elements of both qigong and meditation and the seeming blend of the two is really outstanding.

All I can say to anyone just starting is to stick with a long term regular practice because it really morphs into something very special over time.

Good practicing!

Lloyd

Dear Jeremiah Z,

Fascinating that you were an archaeologist in your previous life this life. I can't believe that that inner discipline isn't still screaming for more digs to work. You are indeed very lucky to be able to concentrate your work hours into a couple of days each week and to be able to spend much time writing and practicing things holistic and having fun. I have had a similar lifestyle starting from 1991 when I retired from a successful corporate career that was everything except meaningful--to proliferate the practice of Tai Chi, Qigong, and healing arts through media projects (television and film as well as dvds).

Thank you so much for your kind and generous offer to organize Flying Phoenix Qigong workshops in the U.K. for me. Although this isn't obvious through one's individual practice, it has been my constant experience in teaching--without exception--that group practice of the FP Qigong accelerates the energizing effects on each individual at a geometric rate.

My teacher, GM Doo Wai, when he first authorized me to publish videos teaching the FP Qigong in 1993, casually prophesied, "you will get a lot of good response from this art." With the DVD's completed in 2003, and with the tremendous aid of the internet and this discussion thread, I think we've crossed a critical threshold where smart people are recognizing the powerful potential of this safe and fast-working Qigong system.

Sincerely,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi guys, keep me in the loops about the UK classes. I'd be keen to attend.

Jeff

Dear Jeremiah Z,

Sincerely,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi Terry

Indeed. One never loses the passion for archaeology. And I often look with yearning at archaeological digs. Now, I mostly content myself with reading about it, and watching television programmes about archaeology. I doubt I will ever excavate again. Archaeology is on its knees in the UK. Most digs were developer funded, but there is little, if any development happening now, so no archaeology. Many of the big archaeological units have gone bust, or reduced their staff to a minimum, and wages are very poor. Its a sad situation.

I am incredibly lucky to be able to live as I do. Although, as people will see from my autobiography, when its published, it hasn't all been easy. There have been some very powerful lessons, learnt at some cost. But here I am. Still living and breathing ! And happy and peaceful too.

i already have a number of people interested in the workshops. And three or four are definite, and thats without anything being organised. So its looking good. Email to follow......

I have to say, everything people have said about FP on this thread has been confirmed by my own practice. So its all true ! FP is an exceptional practice and I don't know of anything similar.

I have high hopes for its future !

Fu Dog.....thanks for starting this thread. And Terry, for your constant input too.

Hi Terry

Indeed. One never loses the passion for archaeology. And I often look with yearning at archaeological digs. Now, I mostly content myself with reading about it, and watching television programmes about archaeology. I doubt I will ever excavate again. Archaeology is on its knees in the UK. Most digs were developer funded, but there is little, if any development happening now, so no archaeology. Many of the big archaeological units have gone bust, or reduced their staff to a minimum, and wages are very poor. Its a sad situation.

I am incredibly lucky to be able to live as I do. Although, as people will see from my autobiography, when its published, it hasn't all been easy. There have been some very powerful lessons, learnt at some cost. But here I am. Still living and breathing ! And happy and peaceful too.

i already have a number of people interested in the workshops. And three or four are definite, and thats without anything being organised. So its looking good. Email to follow......

I have to say, everything people have said about FP on this thread has been confirmed by my own practice. So its all true ! FP is an exceptional practice and I don't know of anything similar.

I have high hopes for its future !

Fu Dog.....thanks for starting this thread. And Terry, for your constant input too.

Hello Jeremiah,

Thank you for sharing your confirmation of the consistent and unique healing and rejuvenating effects of the Flying Phoenix Qigong. As I've stated from the start of the thread, the FP healing energy has a very tangible and unique "flavor" or feel to it that is different from the energy cultivated by other Qigong systems and internal martial arts. And as Fu_dog has just mentioned, longer term practice only deepens the energizing effects through the body and more strongly "attaches" the energy to one's consciousness and Will-to-help-and-heal.

Glad to hear news that there is interest in England for a Flying Phoenix workshop--and that you think it is sure to grow. As I'll confirm in detail with you by email at the appropriate time, the concentrated course syllabus has been in place for 14+ years and is ready to go.

So sad to hear about the state of archeology in the U.K.--especially in a country that had made so many important discoveries in the field throughout history. While no consolation, at least your country isn't as bad as China, where in the 1990's the central government flooded the base of Wudangshan as part of its mighty 3 Gorges Dam project and destroyed about 1/4 of the ancient Taoist temples there.

Best,

Terry Dunn

So;

A question, and an experience..........

What is it about Monk Holding Peach ?

There is something very 'different' about it, compared to the other two 'basic' standing postures. I know full well there is nothing basic about them. They are all three profound for different reasons. But the feeling I get from MHP is different again. I know each practitioner will get something different, specific to their experience, energetic make up etc......I just feel MHP has something extra.

I could stand in it for hours, and loose myself. I don't....but the temptation is there.

Is there something specific and unusual about it ?

And an experience.......

Two nights ago, after an especially productive and powerful hour spent in FP seated meditations, I woke at 3am. I felt exhausted. Ever since my head had touched the pillow, a Chinese man had been instructing me on some sort of Taoist Alchemy. I was glad to wake up, to get a break. Sadly I don't remember any of it, but my head was whirling. I had been asleep for four hours. I needed to stop the learning !

The whole bedroom was bathed in golden light. Really surreal. It was soft, but very golden. The bedroom was bright enough to read by the light.

I live in the depths of the countryside. There is no artificial light.

I assumed it was the moon. There is a door straight out into the garden. I stepped outside, naked......I have no neighbours either. The night was black. No moon visible. It was raining hard. I got wet.

I stepped back in, the light was gone. The bedroom was dark.

What on earth was that all about ?

Interesting !

• Like 1

Jeramiah -

I also get a very different feeling when doing MHP. It is best described as a profound peace that envelops me and I just don't want to end the meditation.

As for your dream, that is *really* interesting.

I also had an interesting experience after a strong session of FP. This happened about two months ago. After I finished the session I went into my kitchen and sat down at the kitchen table. Suddenly it felt as if the entire world was rocking. Not violently but in a slow and very powerful, measured, almost pleasant rhythm. My brain, trying to make sense out of this caused me to look down at my chair because the only explanation I could think of was the legs of the chair must be uneven causing it to rock. Of course, all four legs of the chair were firmly on the tile floor. And I live in Florida so it was not an earthquake. :-). Besides, my wife was standing fairly close to me and she could not feel this. I concluded that this powerful rocking sensation was a rhythmic energy resulting from my one hour of Flying Phoenix. It lasted a Little more than a minute and then I ate something and it disappeared.

I think with the practice of FP these metaphysical type experiences are not so uncommon. I say this, and I am a very logical guy.

Good practicing!

Fu dog

Jeramiah -

I also get a very different feeling when doing MHP. It is best described as a profound peace that envelops me and I just don't want to end the meditation.

As for your dream, that is *really* interesting.

I also had an interesting experience after a strong session of FP. This happened about two months ago. After I finished the session I went into my kitchen and sat down at the kitchen table. Suddenly it felt as if the entire world was rocking. Not violently but in a slow and very powerful, measured, almost pleasant rhythm. My brain, trying to make sense out of this caused me to look down at my chair because the only explanation I could think of was the legs of the chair must be uneven causing it to rock. Of course, all four legs of the chair were firmly on the tile floor. And I live in Florida so it was not an earthquake. :-). Besides, my wife was standing fairly close to me and she could not feel this. I concluded that this powerful rocking sensation was a rhythmic energy resulting from my one hour of Flying Phoenix. It lasted a Little more than a minute and then I ate something and it disappeared.

I think with the practice of FP these metaphysical type experiences are not so uncommon. I say this, and I am a very logical guy.

Good practicing!

Fu dog

Hi Fu Dog

Yes, I get that enormously peaceful feeing too. Like a blanket of peace wrapped around me. Very comforting !

Your experience was very interesting too. The rocking sensation would certainly fit in with that rhythmic pulsing of FP energy I often feel, especially during the three 'basic' FP standing meditations. And the fact that it stopped after you ate something confirms, I think, that it was an FP experience. Doubtless Master Dunn will be along soon to conform !

Its true. FP does seem to connect us, or open us, to these experiences, more so than any other system I have followed.

Enjoy your practice !

Hi all!

I've been following this thread since Fu_Dog started it and since it's now come along nicely with a lot of experiences, let me ask a couple questions regarding this practice.

1. I've learned "about" from other sources that there are 5 layers of depth in qigong practice in regards to the body. Those layers being skin, muscle, blood, bone, and marrow in that order. The theory goes that over time the qi will sink or enter each of those layers with a healing effect on each one. My question, how does FPCK address those layers or is this a consideration in this practice?

2. Along the same line of thought, Has anyone at any time during the practice felt cleansing reactions due to this practice? Increased bowel movements, etc?

Thank you,

Bill

Hi all!

I've been following this thread since Fu_Dog started it and since it's now come along nicely with a lot of experiences, let me ask a couple questions regarding this practice.

1. I've learned "about" from other sources that there are 5 layers of depth in qigong practice in regards to the body. Those layers being skin, muscle, blood, bone, and marrow in that order. The theory goes that over time the qi will sink or enter each of those layers with a healing effect on each one. My question, how does FPCK address those layers or is this a consideration in this practice?

2. Along the same line of thought, Has anyone at any time during the practice felt cleansing reactions due to this practice? Increased bowel movements, etc?

Thank you,

Bill

Hi Bill

Yes, I have read your contributions in the thread, from the early pages.

I only know what I have read here, and 'felt' through practice, so my answers are not based on any real knowledge.

1. I am sure I read somewhere on this thread, that the 'energy' from standard ZZ works along or through tendons and ligaments, hence its more martial application. While FP energy travels right through the tissues of the body, in a completely different way. So while that doesn't quite answer your question, its at least related.

There is no mention, or instruction, as far as i have seen, about the FP energy working separately, and travelling through layers.

I have read about it while practicing other Qigong systems, but in the back of my mind, I always felt these were conceptual issues, and suspected they were more connected with the human brain trying to formalise and understand a profound process, rather than reality.

2. I am sure it mentions, somewhere on the thread, that after classes, participants have been more 'regular' next day. Which suggests a cleansing effect !

So thats the total of my knowledge. Not much to show for so much practice and time spent reading ! :lol:

Bill - welcome back to the thread. And good questions....as usual.

Regarding (1) I can't really say how the FP energy provides its benefits. I can say that Sifu Terry has said on a number of occasions, including when I met him in person last month, that Flying Phoenix does not follow traditional meridian theory as do some other forms of qigong. I don't know if that helps answer your question, but thought I would put that out there. FP doesn't seem to follow the "rules" of most qigong systems. I have my own ideas on FP from my own experience, but I am reserve to discuss them at this point in my practice.

As for item (2) I have definitely felt a cleansing effect from the practice. For me especially, I put in a lot of 12+ hour work days, and the nature of my work by any measure would be called stressful. I can say that doing Flying Phoenix after a long day of work evaporates the stress. With a good session, it takes it away completely. That to me is considered a type of cleansing.

I have also seen illnesses washed away by Flying Phoenix. This to me is of particular interest. I say that because I have tried a number of meditative/self hypnosis techniques to heal certain issues. Those work by first going into a meditative state, then visualizing a healing of whatever the issue is. Those techniques are not without merit or a degree of effectiveness.

But none of the meditative/self hypnosis techniques I have tried have healed nearly as well as simply doing the Flying Phoenix meditations. This to me is somewhat ironic, because when doing Flying Phoenix *one doesn't think of healing*. One simply does the FP exercises with clear mind.....and a powerful healing energy takes effect, quite tangibly in many cases.

So, I don't know to what degree you distinguish between "cleansing" and "healing". From my perpective, Flying Phoenix does both, depending on how you define it.

Hope this helps!

Fu_dog