Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

I don't know...maybe Sillum's been watching too many movies and thinks that the Flying Phoenix Celestial healing Chi Mediations system is incubating "Alien"--so that after 4 months, the little monster tears out of the practitioner's breastbone and hits the street.

Sounds like taoist yoga. :lol:

Zenbear,

Thanks for the response. Just finished practicing the Long Form standing meditation, feels great! Recently began practicing volumes 5 and 7, my current favorite is the third med on volume 7. Looking forward to your releasing Advanced Level 2 dvds and resuming FP seminars.

I'd like to try your FP class one of these days (and buy you a beer :) )

Sifu responded to a direct question, and his commentary is quite appropriate given the situation.

Let's let it go at that.

With all types of Chi kung, no matter you can do them for life and always go back to the beginning and refine, the secret is in the early stages! :rolleyes: Everyone wants these SO CALLED ADVANCE levels, what is advance?

Thank you, Sifu Garry,

Every experienced instructor of Chinese martial art knows that constant refinement of fundamentals leads to mastery of higher principles that cannot being experienced or perceived with out the foundations in place.

As the late John Davidson, my senior school brother in Tao Tan Pai and Sifu Share K. Lew's senior student for about 15 years during the Taoist Sanctuary's heyday in Los Angeles in the 70's and San Diego in the late 80's:

"The secret is always taught in the beginning; It remains a secret because no one sees it."

Si-hing Terry

Ok ;) Dunn Sifu you double post

Friend,

No, that three-peat posting was due to a software glitch--and wasn't intentionally done out of anger.

I had done two subsequent editings of what I originally written. But a glitch in the TTB "edit" mode or my all-thumbs typing hit some mysterious combo of keystrokes that caused each iteration to be posted individually, as opposed each new one completely replacing the previous one.

At any rate, the first 2 iterations are now gone.

Best,

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Zenbear,

Thanks for the response. Just finished practicing the Long Form standing meditation, feels great! Recently began practicing volumes 5 and 7, my current favorite is the third med on volume 7. Looking forward to your releasing Advanced Level 2 dvds and resuming FP seminars.

I'd like to try your FP class one of these days (and buy you a beer :) )

Hello Growant,

Glad to hear that you're feeling good results from the Long Form Standing FP Meditation. It can take a long time to memorize and perfect this long moving meditation form. For best results, practice this relatively complex moving meditation as slowly as you can. And once you have attained a super-slow and even tempo in your practice, cut that speed in half--i.e., do it twice as slowly.

You are welcome to take my FP Qigong class anytime you are in Los Angeles. And afterwards I'll let you buy me a Bass Ale. ;)

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S. Ok, let's hear from more FP Qigong practitioners about their experiences with the Long Form Standing FP Mediation seen on Vol.4 of the Chi Kung For Health series. I'll be glad to answer questions and respond to comments made by those actively practicing this advanced FP meditation.

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear

To All:

Speaking of the Advanced Long Form FP Standing Mediation--and synchronicity:

Yesterday, 71-year old Arizona cattle rancher and 20+ year Tai Chi practitioner Charlie Thomas (known to y'all as "ridingtheox") dropped in on my morning Tai Chi class in L.A. Charlie told me that he's been practicing the FP Long Form Meditation for more than one year now and that the energizing effects have not abated. Recall that he had posted on page 50-something of this thread that because had practiced Tai Chi for more than 20+ years, he started his Flying Phoenix practice with Volume 4 of my DVD series and the Long Form Standing Meditation and instantaneously experienced more intense energizing effects than ever before, which motivated him to practice only this advanced Flying Phoenix moving meditation twice a day, everyday. To welcome my enthusiastic proponent and spokesman, I had the class warm-up by doing two rounds of the Advanced Long Form FP Standing Meditation. The first round took less than 8 minutes; the second round took a little more than 15 minutes. I can now attest that "ridingtheox" has indeed painstakingly learned and memorized the Long Form Standing Meditation and does it from memory to very good effect. After warming up with FP Qigong, we did a slow break-down (applications) flow of the Yang Long Form, which took about 35 minutes, and then we practiced the Yang straight-sword form three times. And Charlie did very well in following the Tai Chi sword form for the first time.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Good story....Kudos to Charlie (ridingtheox) for his observation discovered from his personal practice. This is good info for the board.

So twice a day of the FP long form - and he's still gaining benefits. Very cool!

I have been cycling through the different sitting and standing meditations through the course of each week, which means I have not been doing the long standing long form every day.

However, after hearing of Charlie's experience I may start doing it every morning to see what happens. There's no learning like that of one's own experience.

That said, I can say this for sure: Like Charlie I am continuing to gain added benefits from the FP system over time. The practice keeps getting better. As I've said before I don't know where the ceiling is (or if there is one), but I know I haven't reach it. Flying Phoenix is a very, very rich qigong. As I alluded to a few posts earlier, I have recently found new energetics in the practice of the basic FP exercises and have really enjoyed this discovery.

More to come, I'm sure!

Good story....Kudos to Charlie (ridingtheox) for his observation discovered from his personal practice. This is good info for the board.

So twice a day of the FP long form - and he's still gaining benefits. Very cool!

Hello all, Just to confirm the observations. I have done tai chi for 30 years, some little teaching in New Orleans, but have been isolated in Cascabel AZ for 15years. I had Terry's tape of long form Yang style for years. So I thought I would give FPCH a try. Even before the full form was learned I felt old blockages which quickly began to dissolve. Over the first 6 months, I noticed lots of saliva formed. Numerous stiff tendons popped and buzzed with renewed flexibility. I have continued to experience opening awareness of rooting, dan tien warming, breath quality. My sense of smell opened. I tend to practice early in the morning 5 am.

Ok another issue is I am now 71 and my immune system seems to have improved. Almost everyone in our community came down with a 5 day, serious flu like illness. I was well exposed, but never contracted the thing!

At some point I inquired about learning the form on the left side ie., mirror image form. I refer to it as the yin long form ... I have a really strong right handedness which I feel doing this form has helped to balance. If i were younger I think it might have been even more useful. Anyway This form just continues to surprise and energise this old ****!

I tend to do the mirror style later in the day afternoon or early evening. Thus harmonizing the yang of morning with right side and yin of afternoon with the left side. Play with it, experience the flow, breathe into it. It just continues to open.

ridingtheox

• Like 1

More: i had high blood pressure 2 years ago ... doctor prescribed beta blockers, which I used until I had been doing FPCH long form about 4 months my BP dropped below 100/80 from 150/100. I stopped the meds and have been running 115/85 ever since. Today it was 103/82. I also had some GERD issues which I took several sequences of omeprazol..but gave up the meds and have had no more problems for nearly a year. (I do sometimes take antacid / omeprazol, but much less often). I am now medicine free.

I am not recommending going without seeing a doctor or going off meds. Be advised I am NOT anti western med and am somewhat skeptical of all alternative medicines. This is just my experience. I do think FPCH is positive, active, self responsibility for my own health.

This is a great discussion everyone. Thank you all! My question is about qigong and doing hands on healing for yourself while trying to build good chi. I have been doing the flying phoenix volume one for about three weeks now. I am now waiting for my volume two to come in the mail. After I go through the video I then go to bed and then put my hands over each chakra and then sleep. This lasts 10-15 min.

My question came about when I stopped doing my hands on healing at night for a few days. I started to notice that my hands were full of energy throughout the day and my chi just felt stronger. Is this because I am doing flying phoenix alone? Is it because I stopped sending out my chi after my practice? Is it a combo of both? I am new to qigong and would like everyones input. Thanks again!

dear leviticus,

i also do some hand energy transfer after a session, both to my heart/esophagus/pyloric valve GERD related, and to my face? Frankly I do not remember why i do the little face massage, maybe a long ago chi gong class?

Don't worry too much about what follows what, the possibility of cause and effect. Instead just observe what is happening.

If it is true cause and effect I usually recognize that slowly over time and repeated observation.

Mainly just enjoy the new awarenesses!

ridingtheox

After reading this page recently I decided to do the last sitting meditation on vol. 2, 90-80-50-20,slower than slow this morning. By doing so I experienced this noticeable cushion of sublime energy right above my knees some inches before my hands reached their resting place on the knees to complete this repetition and it felt this way for each of the 7 reps. The energy was so unique compared to other chi kung styles I have tried in that it was so palpable, as if my hands could have just stopped there and they would have been supported in mid-air by that cushion of condensed chi. It made me think, "wow, we really do possess an actual energy body that is just beyond our physical body." It is one thing to read about this energy body in books and quite another thing to directly feel it. I have only been doing Flying Phoenix vol. 1 and 2 since feb. but I continue to be amazed how different the method is from any of the several other chi kung styles I have learned over the years. This is way beyond just feeling tingling in your hands as the chi flows. When I feel chi so noticeably from FP I am left with a strong feeling of gratitude to Sifu Terry Dunn and Grand Master Doo Wai for having shared this precious and rare gift of healing. This is the real thing.

Steve

This is a great discussion everyone. Thank you all! My question is about qigong and doing hands on healing for yourself while trying to build good chi. I have been doing the flying phoenix volume one for about three weeks now. I am now waiting for my volume two to come in the mail. After I go through the video I then go to bed and then put my hands over each chakra and then sleep. This lasts 10-15 min.

My question came about when I stopped doing my hands on healing at night for a few days. I started to notice that my hands were full of energy throughout the day and my chi just felt stronger. Is this because I am doing flying phoenix alone? Is it because I stopped sending out my chi after my practice? Is it a combo of both? I am new to qigong and would like everyones input. Thanks again!

Hi Leviticus,

Welcome to the discussion. Thanks taking enough interest in Flying Phoenix Qigong to give it a try and thanks for your progress report.

Ridingtheox offers best general advice for beginners: to let the tangible Flying Phoenix healing energy fill your body and extremities as you progress and expand your practice, and to enjoy the new awareness of this very unique Energy and its Qigong Method.

With a little more practice, it will be quite self-evident how the FP STand Meditations of Vol.1 work in relation to your former hands-on healing of self. What you've just found out for yourself after 3 weeks is that if you do the complete practice on the DVD just before going to sleep you don't need to place your hands on your chakras as a pre-sleep practice. But there's nothing wrong ion continuing to place your hands before sleeping ...that won't hurt your FP practice at all. In fact, another FP Meditation you can do while in bed is Monk Holding Pearl (50 40 30 20 10 with Hands on tan tien in supine position). You can also run a control experiment and figure out the mutual effects of the FP Standing Meditations in Vol.1 and your hands-on evening practice: do 2 weeks of the FP Qigong before sleeping without the hands-on; then do 2 weeks of the FP Qigong followed by your hands-on.

In almost every Qigong system and holistic Chinese martial art, the feeling of energy filling the arms and hands is the very first mark of progress. That's exactly where you're at and that awareness of internal energy will continue to spread and deepen with your FP practice. Next comes feeling of some energy circulation in the legs when practicing the Standing FP Meditations and usually at the same time, you'll experience energizing sensations throughout the torso and head. This definitely happens once you've practiced the Seated FP Meditations for a couple of weeks. The very last and very difficult energy connection is between the lower body's and upper body's energy at the waist. Integrating upper body and lower body energy pathways is a very long process for most practitioners of Chinese martial arts and yoga.

This normally takes many years of dedicated Qigong, Tai Chi or Kung Fu form practice. After practicing all "basic" FP Mediations in Vols 1 thru 4 (which everyone of late has discovered are not that "basic" at all). I normally teach my students (who are all very busy working folks here in L.A.) to distill their practice down to 3-4 favorite standing FP Meditations and 3 favorite Seated FP Meditations every day. But since you are doing the first five Basic Standing Meditations of Vol.1 daily, just add one, then two and eventually 3 of the Seated Meditations to your daily practice. (No hurry to get up to 3 of the Seated FP MEditations per day, but I posted not too long ago that proper practice of 3 of the FP Seated Meds. back to back to back will almost guarantee what we call "allostasis" and its anti-aging effects.)

Also you are lucky to start Flying Phoenix Qigong as a newbie with a "clean slate"--i.e., no previous qigong training whatsoever. For you will have the immediate benefit of cleanly experiencing the effects of FP Qigong and not have to sort out if whether such and such energy effects and rejuvenation is the result of the FP or the result of another practice.

When you receive Vol.2 of my CKFH series, you should practice the first 3 "preparatory meditations" just as thoroughly and regularly as the following 3 "Monk Serves Wine" meditations. You should add the prep. seated meditations to your daily practice just like any other full-fledged FP Meditations.

Enjoy your practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S. Be sure to refer to "Essential Guidelines For Flying Phoenix Qigong Practice" on my website and printed in my old video inserts when you have basic questions about how to practice the FP Qigong.

http://www.taichimania.com/essentialguidelines.html

Edited by zen-bear

Zenbear, can you elaborate on how dvd students, after practicing volume 4 long form meditation, can APPLY the healing energy developed by this form?

Hello Growant,

Sorry it took a while to get back to your question. I had to search back a ways to find it; it came at a very busy and hectic time.

Regarding how to apply the FP Qi in healing applications after practitioners have established the Advanced Long Form Standing Meditation in Vol.4 of the dvd series:

I can answer only generally because so much depends on (A) the level of Flying Phoenix energy cultivation that each individual attains and (B ) the fact the practitioner has thoroughly trained and knowledgeable in a system or method holistic healing. My experience may be one of great efficiency in using the FP Qigong for self-healing and other-healing because starting fifteen years prior to my learning this Flying Phoenix system, I was became competent in the healing methods (primarily Tui Na Acupressure) of the Tao Tan Pai system, whereas others without similar background may not experience the same immediate usefulness of the FP Healing Energy that's cultivated by this Qigong.

The actual nuts-and-bolts of an energy healing system or a healing-with-the-hands system can't be taught or appropriately discussed on a public forum, as there's not a standard English vocabulary to describe hands-on-energy-healing methods but mostly because they all involve Chinese herbology. Moreover, the art of healing-with-the-hands in the Chinese tradition is the flip side of the martial arts, so I won't be disclosing anything about the particular methods of healing-with-the-hands that I practice and teach. That material is strictly passed on between master and student, or shared between master and equals such as classmates.

I can, however, comment on how FP Qigong practice in my experience can support, complement and empower almost any type of holistic healing practice such as Tui-Na acupressure, acupuncture, or Chinese herbology. Charlie "ridingtheox" Thomas happened to bring up last Saturday morning when he visited my class in L.A., the general rule for quiet sitting (in half lotus) meditation to "ground","balance" and heal oneself after doing healing work: for beginners is 15 minutes for every hour of healing work. Read that as: 15 minutes of meditation or Qigong for every hour of healing work dealing with severely ill, psychologically impaired, or "toxic" people, or evil situations that drain ones' energy and life force, or depresses or otherwise negatively affects one's spirit. (Again, this ratio of 1:4 is the safety net for beginners in holistic healing.) In contrast, Flying Phoenix once trained properly is undoubtedly much more efficient and effective in "healing the healer" than quiet sitting (as in zazen). I have experienced on many occasions throughout the years where one round of the Advanced Standing FP Meditation (as taught in Vol.4)--even performed fast (less than 7 minutes)-- will completely renew me after a full 8-hour day or longer of healing work, and on rare occasions, doing one seated "Monk Serves Wine" meditation for just 12 minutes to completely discharge residue after working with very sick people. Any of the Advanced Seated MSW Meditations (on Volume 7] or any combination of them (practiced in complete sets of 7 repetitions) can be used for rapid recovery, self-healing or "polishing" after heavy healing work.)

Finally, I can recount what I had stated earlier on this thread about advanced practitioners' abilities of spontaneously transferring the cultivated FP healing energy to others with just a thought and the lightest touch. Once the FP Qigong system is very well practiced and a "reserve" or superabundance of the FP healing energy is cultivated and present in the body, that healing energy will on occasion almost by itself spontaneously "jump off" the FP practitioner and transfer to any person he/she lightly touches for whom he/she has positive regard and concern. This was and is my personal experience.

How effectively one uses the FP Meditations for self-healing and other-healing all depends on the quality of one's meditative focus and on one's (spiritual) nature. If one desires to provide healing services to others, one naturally needs to develop skill in some holistic healing art that can be empowered by the FP Qi. The most readily available and complementary healing arts are various systems of Tui-Na Acupressure (that all make use of Chinese herbology) found within many Chinese martial art traditions.

Thanks for your question, Growant.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Thank you ridingtheox and zen-bear. I noticed in my email that volume two was shipped out yesterday. I will keep everyone updated on my progress. I would like to also start experimenting with long distance/ remote healings. Zen-bear, any suggestions on what to focus on with FP in regards to this? I also need a couple of guinea pigs that will give me honest feedback. Thanks again!

Thank you for the responses Sifu Terry. Chi kung class and a couple of Bass Ales sounds good down the road a bit- incidentally, the first beer I ever drank that I actually liked the taste of :D

Sifu Terry: I know that Flying Phoenix contains much neigong. What do you think about Max Christensen's statement on his website: "One hour of kunlun neigong is worth 100 years of sitting meditation."? I do FP and a version of neigong taught by Sifu Jenny Lamb who taught Max how to do neigong. I experience strong chi flow from neigong but it does not give me the depth of relaxation and transcending all thoughts to reach Pure Awareness which comes from doing Transcendental Meditation. So I would like to know your take on that statement. Both neigong and deep meditation release stress from the nervous system as does FP since it is neigong and meditation and chi kung and I am sure much more.

Steve

post-86937-133761485237_thumb.jpg

Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy.

Lao Tzu

This is all one has to live by when you are practicing, who cares what one does compared to the other if you know the art you practice is good for you? Be content with your practice, become a non being through your practice which will give you confidence as you will know your self and the energy we live in. And by doing so you will gain better health and stress free!!

• Like 1

Good words for practice Sifu Garry.....thanks! Your contributions to this thread are very much appreciated.

I can definitely say, especially doing the seated Flying Phoenix meditations, one can approach a state of non-being where nothing seems to exist except the practice itself.

Given my stressful job I honestly haven't reached a point of being stress free. But the way I look at it, at least once in every 24 hours while doing qigong, I can bring myself to a state of zero stress. Which is that state of "non-being" you described.

OK, time for me to stop posting to go practice some qigong. Tonight it's advanced seated!

I just got volume 2 of FP in today! I have been doing volume 1 for three weeks or so. Over the weekend is when I started to notice that the energy stays with me most of the day. I have been reading the entire thread the last three days. Since then I have been going super slow with the moves. Its feels like my palms have a mild electrical charge all throughout the day. As of two nights ago I felt like there was a pillow of energy about a inch off of my palms. Really cool/strange stuff. Also, my sex drive is stronger. I know I read that in a few post previously. I didn't expect that since I am only 31. Anyways, I love it!

I will keep everyone posted.

Thank you for the responses Sifu Terry. Chi kung class and a couple of Bass Ales sounds good down the road a bit- incidentally, the first beer I ever drank that I actually liked the taste of :D

You're welcome. Growant.

And I look forward to those beers down the road. You are obviously a man of taste if Bass Ale was the first beer you ever tried! Unlike you, it took me a long, long time to discover that brew (--not that I was ever a big beer-drinker...(I'm not)).

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

I just got volume 2 of FP in today! I have been doing volume 1 for three weeks or so. Over the weekend is when I started to notice that the energy stays with me most of the day. I have been reading the entire thread the last three days. Since then I have been going super slow with the moves. Its feels like my palms have a mild electrical charge all throughout the day. As of two nights ago I felt like there was a pillow of energy about a inch off of my palms. Really cool/strange stuff. Also, my sex drive is stronger. I know I read that in a few post previously. I didn't expect that since I am only 31. Anyways, I love it!

I will keep everyone posted.

Hi Leviticus,

You are experiencing typical energy awareness effects of Flying Phoenix practice for someone your age. It's especially good that you are feeling that the energy sticks with you throughout the day. The FP Healing Energy has a very distinctive, distinguishable feel and as you steadily practice, a reserve and superabundance of this energy builds in your system. It's very enjoyable feeling that at times approaches bliss.

That 1-inch "pillow" of energy above your palms is just the beginning. As stated in earlier postings, the FP healing energy will show up on videotape in a specific color of aura. Later on, with advanced practice, when you apply the FP energy in hands-on healing, you (and others) will feel and see not just a thicker "pillow" in front of your palms, but also a long, almost limitlessly tall "shadow" of energy above the back of your hands when you work.

Thanks for your progress report. Keep up the good practice!

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

An observation for the practitioner of FP: Sifu Terry has said a number of times that "the effects of Flying Phoenix qigong are cumulative."

I would like share my experience: The effects are cumulative on two different levels. One is a on a gross level, the other on a subtle level. I will explain.

On a gross level (i.e., tangible, easy to experience) the longer you do Flying Phoenix meditations *in a single session*, the more powerful the effects. Or, in other words, the more minutes you practice in a session, the stronger the effects. These energetic effects are quite tangible and almost everyone can feel this by direct experience with a long practice session. Even beginners can feel this. And for anyone that's practiced FP for any length of time, the feelings become more powerful with length of session time. So when you hear, "the effects are cumulative", then this is something you can relate to.

However, on a subtle level I have found that the Flying Phoenix energy accumulates over days/months/years of time *provided that FP is practiced consistently day after day*. This is a more subtle level of energy that is quite gentle and may go unnoticed if one only observes a few days or weeks. However, this gentle, subtle (and perhaps barely noticeable) accumulation of Flying Phoenix energy takes place at a deeper level. You will notice this over time because the quality of the energy experienced during your practice session will slowly but surely increase, increase, increase.

However, and this is important, the key is *consistent practice*, i.e., practice every single, going for as many consecutive days as is possible. Even on a very busy day where I have almost no time, I have found the practice Flying Phoenix for even a shorter time is significant because it helps either contribute to or maintain this subtle, deeper level of Flying Phoenix energy.

So, for those of you currently practicing Flying Phoenix and also for those of you who are considering starting the practice, I cannot over emphasize the importance of regular practice. The effects on a subtle level as a result of consistent practice over a longer period of time are truly profound.

Last year I practiced for 100 consecutive days. I didn't quite realize it at the time, however, I was indeed building this subtle aspect of the FP energy. After the 100 consecutive days, I can honestly say the quality of the energy I experience during the Flying Phoenix meditations had increased significantly. But this happened so slowly, gradually that it was only in retrospect that I realized what had actually happened.

Regardless of whether you try a 100 day practice, my advice is to do your very best to be consistent in your practice. If you give yourself to the practice, the practice will give itself to you.

Sifu Terry and Sifu Garry always talks about being "persistent". From my experience, that's very sound advice!

Good Practicing...

Fu_dog