Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hi Sifu Terry, I read your response to Aeran regarding how FP can lead to "enlightenment" and I never realized that qigong practice can accomplish that goal. Can FP practice replace meditation practices such as Kriya Yoga, Twin Hearts (from GrandMaster Choa Kok Sui), and others?

Most of the books that I have read about qigong consider meditation an essential part of cultivating energy. I recently posted about how doing Transcendental Meditation immediately following qigong has reignited a daily meditation practice that just totally stopped going to states of deep relaxation 4 or 5 years ago. My direct experience is that proper meditation gets you to the wuchi state of emptiness, stillness, the source of thought, the mother of 10,000 things, the Absolute, etc. No method of qigong that I have done has ever come close to taking me to the deep levels of relaxation that I obtain from a typical 20 minute session of TM. One of my qigong teachers has told me that meditation done immediately following qigong stabilizes the Qi. I recall in a post on this thread that Sifu Terry mentioned that GM Doo Wai used to stress the importance of meditation.

• Like 1

Thanks for such a detailed reply Sifu Terry - and sorry for taking so long to get back to you on it, I typed up a draft reply, got diverted and saved a copy, then forgot that I hadn't actually posted it. I've got some more questions if you don't mind me dragging the conversation back a few months :P

Regarding the spontaneous "jump healing," is this an effect that can also be initiated at will and focused to provide a more specific or intense healing process. ie. if someone has a problem in a specific organ, can you direct the FP Chi with intention to heal this specific organ, or will it naturally diffuse throughout their system to provide the overall "whole system" healing/balancing as it does when cultivated through the FPCK? More generally speaking, I'd love to hear more about how you heal with the FP Chi.

How does the practice of the FP Chi Kung and the cultivation of the FP Chi effect the pre-existing energy and energetic anatomy? A lot of the postures and movements in FP are similar to what I've seen in other Chi Kung systems - does this mean that the "regular" Chi will increase in quantity to some degree on top of tapping into and cultivating the FP Chi, just by the act of undertaking a yogic/meditative practice?

What effect does FP Chi have on the regular Chi within the body? Does it remain something separate to a degree, or is the FP Chi, to use a poor analogy, "soluble" with the regular Chi? 

Regarding the FP "stem," would I be correct in thinking of this as something akin to the Western concept of an Egregore (I'm not sure of the Daoist terminology, sorry)? Does it have some kind of active, unique consciousness of it's own (akin to a spirit, deity, etc), or such an entity related to it?

You state that the FP Chi in the body only connects to the main "stem" after a certain amount has already accumulated in the practitioner - just to make sure I fully understand the process, does this mean the process of cultivating the specific FP Chi is an internal, alchemical process triggered by the breathing percentages and movements, and once a sufficient quantity of it occurs in the system it kind of "magnetizes" the practitioner to the main stem, which further energizes them and speeds up the expansion of consciousness?

What would happen if someone performed the breathing percentages without the movements, or vice versa, or matched the wrong percentages to the wrong movements? I assume nothing good, as you warn against it :P I'm just really curious to learn more about how exactly the system and it's unique energy function. I get the impression that the breath percentages are the catalyst in the meditations which connect the practitioner to the FP "stem."

To what extent are the other Bok Fu Pai meditations similar to the FPCK system, in the sense of using breath percentages (I believe Sifu Hearfield's Sunn Yee Gong does), tapping into a unique macrocosmic energy as opposed to inherent/internal/local/environmental energy, etc?

Sorry if that's too many questions :P In truth I actually have a lot more, as I'm fascinated by how these systems work, but I don't want to consume too much of your time.

Thank you again for taking the time for such a detailed answer.

Hi Aeran,

Answers to your questions:

Regarding the spontaneous "jump healing," is this an effect that can also be initiated at will and focused to provide a more specific or intense healing process. ie. if someone has a problem in a specific organ, can you direct the FP Chi with intention to heal this specific organ, or will it naturally diffuse throughout their system to provide the overall "whole system" healing/balancing as it does when cultivated through the FPCK? More generally speaking, I'd love to hear more about how you heal with the FP Chi.

I can't say anything more about how the FP Healing Energy works beyond what I've already written on this thread  or can I discuss how I heal.   That is only to be witnessed by my students and experienced by my clients.

How does the practice of the FP Chi Kung and the cultivation of the FP Chi effect the pre-existing energy and energetic anatomy?
it depends if the practitioner has any yogic background.  For an absolute beginner, the FP Qigong works as I and others have described here:  it integrates mind and body, brings all the organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind and creates the state of allostasis, where the body's self-healing  faculties are activated at a most profound level.  
(btw, "energetic anatomy" is not a phrase that has meaning to me)

A lot of the postures and movements in FP are similar to what I've seen in other Chi Kung systems - does this mean that the "regular" Chi will increase in quantity to some degree on top of tapping into and cultivating the FP Chi, just by the act of undertaking a yogic/meditative practice?
In my personal experience  here is no "regular chi" outside the very tangible FP Healing Chi while one is practicing the FP Qigong correctly.
After one has practiced  FP Qigong correctly  there will be a noticeable and tangible higher level of energy in the body.  Where that increased energy is FP Healing Energy or "regular chi of the body" will be up to each practitioner to discern for himself or herself.  
Note:  Just by doing the FP Qigong system or just by learning any legitimate kung fu system, the body is conditioned to function and move more efficiently, and that alone liberates a great amount of energy.

What effect does FP Chi have on the regular Chi within the body? Does it remain something separate to a degree, or is the FP Chi, to use a poor analogy, "soluble" with the regular Chi? 
If one just practices FP Qigong, "the regular Chi of the body" is transformed into the FP healing energy, and one has awareness and facility with the FP Healing Energy.  And to be technical about it, there is no more "regular chi of the body" because you're changed forever.  

Unless one is trained another Qigong systems (within the Bok Fu Pai system or outside of it), one will not have awareness of the "regular Chi" of the body and may not have any experience of "normal chi."   

Regarding the FP "stem," would I be correct in thinking of this as something akin to the Western concept of an Egregore (I'm not sure of the Daoist terminology, sorry)? Does it have some kind of active, unique consciousness of it's own (akin to a spirit, deity, etc), or such an entity related to it?
I had to look up "Egregore."  No, the FP "stem" is not an Egregore, vague as Victor Hugo used it.  And it is not an occult  consciousness that influences the thinking of a group of people.  
It is a trunk of energy.  And once that energy is experienced, consciousness and the healing capacity of the person is changed forever.  The FP Qigong art was channeled and inspired from a divine source.  The same way Leonardo da Vinci breathed in his genius as an infant that led to his works of genius.   In that sense, the FP "stem" can be said to be related to an originating spiritual entity or group of entities.

You state that the FP Chi in the body only connects to the main "stem" after a certain amount has already accumulated in the practitioner - just to make sure I fully understand the process, does this mean the process of cultivating the specific FP Chi is an internal, alchemical process triggered by the breathing percentages and movements, and once a sufficient quantity of it occurs in the system it kind of "magnetizes" the practitioner to the main stem, which further energizes them and speeds up the expansion of consciousness?
"Magnetizes" is not quite the right word. Perhaps "attunes" the person to the greater FP Healing Energy Stem.
Once you experience the "stem" and have it flow through you and feel yourself channel into other people for healing, you will find the appropriate words.

What would happen if someone performed the breathing percentages without the movements, or vice versa, or matched the wrong percentages to the wrong movements? I assume nothing good, as you warn against it  :P
i answered the first part of your question early in this discussion.  It is not to be done.

This is my answer to the second part:   If one purposely matched the wrong breath-control sequence with the wrong exercises, one might fuck oneself up--as I have warned in this thread-- by creating a serious energy sickness.  
To anybody who afflicts himself with such reckless experimentation by not following the simple directions on the DVD series and not heeding the warnings on the DVDs and as i have written on this thread:    I have no interest in fixing the fallout from such stupidity.  **Similarly, when GM Doo Wai noticed that a few of us were horsing around right after he had taught us how to use an "amplifier" to project the  martial energy of BDG (8 Sections of Energy Combined) onto a person without touching, he said to us:

​                        "I you guys dim muk yourselves, I'm going to heal you."

I get the impression that the breath percentages are the catalyst in the meditations which connect the practitioner to the FP "stem."   Yes, the breath percentages are only a catalyst that helps connect the practitioner to the FP Stem.  They alone are NOT enough to connect.

To what extent are the other Bok Fu Pai meditations similar to the FPCK system, in the sense of using breath percentages (I believe Sifu Hearfield's Sunn Yee Gong does), tapping into a unique macrocosmic energy as opposed to inherent/internal/local/environmental energy, etc?

That is simply for you to find out for yourself by practicing these systems!

The other Bok Fu Pai Meditative Arts (there are many--each one is vast with many meditations) are similar only in the general structure of the breath-control formulas:  varying percentage exhalations, each one  separated by a full breath.  Everything else is different:  postures, movements, eyes opened or closed.

I prefer to answer questions based on your practice of FP Qigong or other Bok Fu Pai Internal arts--and not questions based on curiosity and speculation.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

Hi Sifu Terry Could you please let me know if there are counter-indications for pregnancy in the FP system?

Hello Astral Butterfly,

No, as far as I know and have observed over the years, the practice of FP Qigong is not countra-indicationed for pregnancy, except perhaps during the last month and very close to delivery.  I have had many women Tai Chi students practice Tai Chi forms throughout their entire pregnancies.

But you should show the FP Qigong exercises to your obstetrician and get a professional medical opinion.

Best Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

Hello Astral Butterfly,

No, as far as I know and have observed over the years, the practice of FP Qigong is not countra-indicationed for pregnancy, except perhaps during the last month and very close to delivery.  I have had many women Tai Chi students practice Tai Chi forms throughout their entire pregnancies.

But you should show the FP Qigong exercises to your obstetrician and get a professional medical opinion.

Best Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you Sifu Terry that's great!

We all have heard about the healing effects of Flying Phoenix and most other forms of chi kung, tai chi, etc.

But when I notice the ages of some of these masters of these lineages of the healing arts, whether it be chi kung, tai chi or kung fu, I do not see any great longevity with few exceptions, T.T. Liang, for example, lived to be 102. But most of the other known teachers seem to die in their 80's which I don't think is any older than most of the population lately. My grandmother was in her 90's when she died, my mother is 90, her sister died at 95, but none did any exercise or engage in any health promoting activity, nor did they eat in a healthy way. I throw this out there because I would think at least the masters of these energy arts should make it to age 100.

I would like to hear from the Flying Phoenix community how FP has noticeably improved or safeguarded your health.

We have heard how Sifu Terry has nipped colds in the bud via FP and I would like to hear more people share their experiences.

I am wondering where Dr. Oz came up with his quote, "if you want to live to be 100, do qigong."

• Like 3

Hi, i recall reading earlier in this thread people mentioning entities, i was wondering if practicing the FP in anyway can protect you from such entities. I myself have been having to deal with some rather negative entities the last few years, they have probably been with me my whole life but i only came to be fully aware of what was going on two years ago. I wont bother going into detail.

Any way i came across this movie, @1:14 into the film this guy talks about an experience he had, he ended up seeing an entity but it was not negative in fact it had a blue aura, was peaceful and was making his friend laugh. Sound familiar?

I find it a coincidence that the lady telling her story just before him has a you tube account that is called phoenix rising.

http://putlocker3.com/movies/the-nightmare-2015/

I couldn't help but think the 8ft tall demon with glowing red eyes was awesome and i love the red eyed demon cat, made me laugh.

Hi Sifu Terry,

Thank you for your responses to my earlier questions.  While doing the stationary/non-moving standing and seated FP meditations from your dvds, is it ok to simultaneously place one's attention on the feeling-energy of negative emotions, when present, within the body?  Just feeling that energy, divorced from the story, without getting taken over by it.  I know you'd written previously one can think about anything while doing FP as long as it isn't negative so wasn't sure, thanks.

Hello again to all following the discussion.  I recently started practicing FP again after a very long hiatus.  Very glad to be back, and also happy and humbled to see many of my gongfu brothers and sisters still going strong. 

I do have a question that has probably been asked before, but I can't find any results using the site's search function.

Is it advisable for a pregnant woman to practice FPCK?  My wife and I are expecting a baby and she's about to enter her third trimester.  If so, are there particular meditations to avoid or focus on? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Had my first Flying Phoenix session today. Could only handle 15 minutes! I had no idea it would take so much out of me! I am happy though as it means something is indeed happening. Had a slight headache as a result. Am more motivated than ever.

• Like 2

Glad to see im not the only one who seems to get exhausted doing these exercises. I find starting them for me is the hardest thing then once i do i usually enjoy it so much i wonder why i dont do it more often.

Btw for the first meditation on DVD 3, wind above the tree tops i believe, how many reps should we do. The standard 7 at least? I ask only because when Terry does them he stop after one and i am confused as to how to transition into a second then third.

Atm my favorite, or easiest and most enjoyable meditation is the last seated mediation and DVD 2, even if i dont do it last i feel allot of energy doing it.

Greetings to all FP Qigong practitioners,

I just want to interject at this time my apology for my slow response this past week+ to several postings--and my promise that I will catch up with answering all postings as quickly as I can.  I hope to be caught up by this weekend.   I am "on the road" tending to urgent business matters, fulfilling official college alumni duties, and also undergoing intensive training with my Tai Chi teacher.

Regards to all,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Im jealous :P

You know, it's not a blue aura. It is actually me being blue and it's not my skin either. It's like being aware of me in another version, a bright blue version, without being in a trance. Seeing this in a normal state of conciousness is shocking to me.

Just want to express condolences to France over attacks...

Me, too.

this is what I posted on my personal and Tai Chi for Health Facebook pages.

post-51415-0-87283600-1447843236_thumb.png

Per affrontare le sfide della nostra epoca l’umanità deve sviluppare un più grande senso di responsabilità universale. Ognuno di noi deve imparare a lavorare non solo per se stesso, per la sua famiglia o la sua nazione, ma per il bene di tutta l’umanità. Oggi siamo così interdipendenti, tanto strettamente interconnessi gli uni con gli altri, che, senza un senso di responsabilità individuale, un sentimento di universale fratellanza e sorellanza, e la comprensione e la convinzione che veramente siamo una parte di un’unica grande famiglia umana, non possiamo sperare di superare i pericoli che minacciano la nostra stessa esistenza, né tantomeno credere di poter creare pace e felicità.

DALAI LAMA

To meet the challenges of our time humanity must develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must learn to work not only for himself, for his family or his nation, but for the good of all mankind. Today we are so interdependent, so closely interconnected with each other, that, without a sense of individual responsibility, a sense of Universal Brotherhood and sisterhood, and the understanding and the belief that really we are a part of one big human family, not We can hope to overcome the dangers that threaten our very existence, nor believe to be able to create peace and happiness.

Dalai Lama

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Did one hour today. Was surprised to see my hands were a fluorescent blue as I thought it takes a year to see this colour?

No, it totally depends on the individual.  FP Qigong's "seeing through its energy" can set in quickly or take years.  I have a student in her mid-sixties who was already a very receptive, experienced and clear medium and channeler.  She saw human energy in colored auras even before she started FP Qigong.  Starting FP Qigong reportedly trebled her faculty to see far beyond the consensus reality and gave her clairaudience, which she had never had before.

So Congrats!  Isn't it a sublime experience--to see blue?!

Keep with the practice and you'll see blue wherever the energy is--even internally with eyes closed.  And sometimes clear and sensitive people in proximity to you will "catch" a glimpse of your blue.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi Aeran,

Answers to your questions:

I can't say anything more about how the FP Healing Energy works beyond what I've already written on this thread  or can I discuss how I heal.   That is only to be witnessed by my students and experienced by my clients.

How does the practice of the FP Chi Kung and the cultivation of the FP Chi effect the pre-existing energy and energetic anatomy?
it depends if the practitioner has any yogic background.  For an absolute beginner, the FP Qigong works as I and others have described here:  it integrates mind and body, brings all the organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind and creates the state of allostasis, where the body's self-healing  faculties are activated at a most profound level.  
(btw, "energetic anatomy" is not a phrase that has meaning to me)

A lot of the postures and movements in FP are similar to what I've seen in other Chi Kung systems - does this mean that the "regular" Chi will increase in quantity to some degree on top of tapping into and cultivating the FP Chi, just by the act of undertaking a yogic/meditative practice?
In my personal experience  here is no "regular chi" outside the very tangible FP Healing Chi while one is practicing the FP Qigong correctly.
After one has practiced  FP Qigong correctly  there will be a noticeable and tangible higher level of energy in the body.  Where that increased energy is FP Healing Energy or "regular chi of the body" will be up to each practitioner to discern for himself or herself.  
Note:  Just by doing the FP Qigong system or just by learning any legitimate kung fu system, the body is conditioned to function and move more efficiently, and that alone liberates a great amount of energy.

If one just practices FP Qigong, "the regular Chi of the body" is transformed into the FP healing energy, and one has awareness and facility with the FP Healing Energy.  And to be technical about it, there is no more "regular chi of the body" because you're changed forever.  

Unless one is trained another Qigong systems (within the Bok Fu Pai system or outside of it), one will not have awareness of the "regular Chi" of the body and may not have any experience of "normal chi."   

I had to look up "Egregore."  No, the FP "stem" is not an Egregore, vague as Victor Hugo used it.  And it is not an occult  consciousness that influences the thinking of a group of people.  
It is a trunk of energy.  And once that energy is experienced, consciousness and the healing capacity of the person is changed forever.  The FP Qigong art was channeled and inspired from a divine source.  The same way Leonardo da Vinci breathed in his genius as an infant that led to his works of genius.   In that sense, the FP "stem" can be said to be related to an originating spiritual entity or group of entities.

"Magnetizes" is not quite the right word. Perhaps "attunes" the person to the greater FP Healing Energy Stem.
Once you experience the "stem" and have it flow through you and feel yourself channel into other people for healing, you will find the appropriate words.

What would happen if someone performed the breathing percentages without the movements, or vice versa, or matched the wrong percentages to the wrong movements? I assume nothing good, as you warn against it  :P
i answered the first part of your question early in this discussion.  It is not to be done.

This is my answer to the second part:   If one purposely matched the wrong breath-control sequence with the wrong exercises, one might fuck oneself up--as I have warned in this thread-- by creating a serious energy sickness.  
To:   anybody who afflicts himself with such reckless experimentation by not following the simple directions on the DVD series and not heeding the warnings on the DVDs and as i have written on this thread:    I have no interest in fixing the fallout from such stupidity.

I get the impression that the breath percentages are the catalyst in the meditations which connect the practitioner to the FP "stem."  No, it is not.

That is simply for you to find out for yourself by practicing these systems!!!

The other Bok Fu Pai Meditative Arts (there are many--each one is vast with many meditations) are similar only in the general structure of the breath-control formulas:  varying percentage exhalations, each one  separated by a full breath.  Everything else is different:  postures, movements, eyes opened or closed.

I prefer to answer questions based on your practice of FP Qigong or other Bok Fu Pai Internal arts--and not questions based on curiosity and speculation.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Sifu Terry,

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions in detail - I'll let this train of conversation end there so the discussion can go back to a more practical basis as you requested.

Just wanted to say that re: the breath percentages, I certainly wasn't encouraging anyone to experiment in that regard (or planning on doing so myself), just hoping to gain a deeper understanding of the exact function of the breath sequences and role that they play in distinguishing the FPCK system and the unique energy/effects it creates from other yogic systems.

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 2

I want to respond to Sifu Terry's Facebook posting on post 3471 on this Taobums site, I refuse to change over to Daobums nomenclature.

This attitude of one for all and all for one really cannot be achieved in the unawakened individual as it would be merely on the level of wanting to be connected to all, or at best, to make a mood of being in this state of not being separate.

I have been taught that the world's problems will continue and have continued as long as the populace remains in an unawakened state of consciousness which produces a feeling of being an individual instead of being connected to everyone else.

The Vedas describe very accurately this state of connection and it has been called Unity Consciousness or Brahmin Consciousness. It is not experienced on the level of the intellect, it has to do with a major physical change in the brain functioning that used to take literally lifetimes of mediation practices. Now it is said to be achieved eventually thru the Oneness Blessing energy. All relationship problems are caused by this feeling of separation and not being able to recognize the Self in the other person. This is on the level of individuals and nations. That is why the goal of mankind is now called Oneness. Some state that this is the only thing that can save this insane planet as no one who is not Awakened is in their right mind. We spontaneously see everyone and everything in creation as part of our Self when in Unity Consciousness. The ego is pushed to the side when the parietal lobes of the brain are quieted and the frontal lobe is more fully activated. It is that simple. All is takes is the right energy for this to happen. So I applaud all who currently cultivate energy. And seeing blue from doing Flying Phoenix Chi Kung certainly is tangible proof that special energy is being cultivated.

• Like 1