Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Sifu Terry,

On the crying part, I was crying of joy, and not sadness, but emotions are emotions :). Processing them applies with what you said above.

Thank you very much for your time

Cihan

Hi Cihan,

When you used the verb "braying" I assumed it was out of sadness. And also your reference to "intensive feelings" that caused you to limit your practice led me to assume the same. But I'm glad I was wrong to assume that. Indeed, you are a fortunate one to have time-bound Joys--and not Pains--unleashed by these meditations!

So glad to hear that Flying Phoenix meditations have brought you joy and elation!

Beyond cathartic emotional release--whether sadness or joy--cosmic bliss is also on the spectrum of FP Qigong benefits, as FP enables one to "touch nirvana with the body" as described in early Buddhist yogic writings.

--or as WW2 fighter pilot John Gillespie Magee put it, "touch the face of God." His poem, "High Flight" was written at 30,000 feet in a supermarine spitfire V during WW2, but for me it aptly captures the bliss of feeling the Flying Phoenix Qigong's healing/spiritual uplift:

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —

And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

If I want to practice Monk Gazes at Moon for half an hour do I repeat the sequence on the video several times until half an hour is up or do I just hold the position once for the full mount of time?

In other words, do I do the three full breaths to begin, then the breath percentage sequence, then the three full closing breaths only once?

AStralogic,

You would do the breath-control sequence once at the beginning of a 30 minute meditation.

However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing several consecutive rounds of Monk Gazing At Moon of, say, 10 minutes each. (For each round, you would do the breath-control sequence once at the beginning.)

Doing several consecutive shorter rounds of a stationary FP Meditation would increase the effects of the meditation and demonstrate the cumulative effects of any of FP Meditations.

Enjoy the practice,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hello Sifu Terry

I have similar question as AStralogic only regarding Wind Through the Treetops. Do I need to do breathing sequence before every repetition or not? Or is Wind Above Clouds the only meditation that you have to do that?

Thank you.

Thanks for all the help you give us here Terry.

One thing I'm not clear on though, in Monk Gazes at Moon, when standing the eyes are open but when sitting they are closed. Is that right?

Thanks for all the help you give us here Terry.

One thing I'm not clear on though, in Monk Gazes at Moon, when standing the eyes are open but when sitting they are closed. Is that right?

I can answer this one. That's right. Standing MGM is the only meditation with eyes open.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/page__view__findpost__p__180930

Edited by malganis

I can answer this one. That's right. Standing MGM is the only meditation with eyes open.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/page__view__findpost__p__180930

Thanks Malganis.

I have another question. What is the most efficient way to practice half an hour of any of the basic standing meds? What's the best amount of time to make one round?

Edit: What I mean here is if I were to practice one single meditation for 30 minutes. Not do several.

Or is it better to just do one long round, and not break it up? And does the same rule apply to all the other basic meds (both standing and sitting)?

This is definitely the best qigong I've ever practiced.

Edited by Astralogic

Hello Sifu Terry

I have similar question as AStralogic only regarding Wind Through the Treetops. Do I need to do breathing sequence before every repetition or not? Or is Wind Above Clouds the only meditation that you have to do that?

Thank you.

Hi Malganis,

I. For the following Flying Phoenix Standing Meditations, you do the breath-control sequence once with each round of movement:

• Wind Through the Treetops

• Wind Above the Clouds

• Moonbeam Splashes on Water

• Standing Long Form Meditation (Vol.4)

• Each of the five 90-second Standing Meditations on Vol.5.

And if you want to do a second or any additional rounds of any of the above Meditations, then you repeat the breath-control sequence, doing it once at the start of each repetition.

II. For these following stationery standing FP Meditations, you only need to do the breath-control sequence once at the start, then do the Meditation for as long as you want, and then take 3 deep breathes to end the exercise whenever you want:

• Monk Gazing At Moon

• Monk Holding Peach

• Monk Holding Pearl

• Bending the Bows

I hope this answers your question and clarifies all previous instructions.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hello Sifu Terry,

I'd like to ask you is it OK to exercise in this way ..

Wake up early in the morning, use the bathroom, then exercise Qigong, after that a shower, and finally a breakfast ?

I've read that shower after a Qigong session will affect the Qi, is it true ?

All the best

Its been so long since I checked this site and this thread is still one of the best!

I never got back to dvd one till next week (ribs working now) as not long after I posted my bike decided to become a tram (whats going on with my bike thinking that ? LOL) which resulted in a rib injury. Shite that sucked, then a friend has been busy and another old timer has some good stuff to read. I always come back to FP as a beginner as I know it works and I couldn't be arsed chasing the holy grail in qigong. Stick to one thing so to speak even though bikes become trams :S

This is why I wanted to post here Sifu Terry in regards to the Blue Aura and 'seeing blue with eyes closed' and the Tibetan Influence ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWZoId-dZQ&feature=player_embedded

One thing I have found quite amazing with FP even through having a shite year through a knee and chest injury is that I can do a simple monk gazing at moon with Miss somamech and the energy IS tangible and she aint even done it before ;)

Take care Sifu and all FP folke !

There's been a number of discussions on the blue aura associated with the practice of Flying Phoenix.

I can say at this point in my practice when I finish the FP meditations and open my eyes, the world looks blue. This is very cool. Especially in bright outdoor morning sunlight this blueness is especially pronounced. Everything looks as if it has a blue tint, as if I am seeing the world through light blue sunglasses.

It only lasts a few minutes. But while it lasts I marvel at how pleasant and enjoyable this is.

Somamech....yes, find one style qigong practice and stay with it. Traverse its full length. And be careful on the bike. :)

Its been so long since I checked this site and this thread is still one of the best!

I never got back to dvd one till next week (ribs working now) as not long after I posted my bike decided to become a tram (whats going on with my bike thinking that ? LOL) which resulted in a rib injury. Shite that sucked, then a friend has been busy and another old timer has some good stuff to read. I always come back to FP as a beginner as I know it works and I couldn't be arsed chasing the holy grail in qigong. Stick to one thing so to speak even though bikes become trams :S

This is why I wanted to post here Sifu Terry in regards to the Blue Aura and 'seeing blue with eyes closed' and the Tibetan Influence ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWZoId-dZQ&feature=player_embedded

One thing I have found quite amazing with FP even through having a shite year through a knee and chest injury is that I can do a simple monk gazing at moon with Miss somamech and the energy IS tangible and she aint even done it before ;)

Take care Sifu and all FP folke !

Hi Somemech,

Thanks for the drop-in and sorry to hear about your rib injury and transformation of your bike. I would love to see the youtube clip relating to the blue light, but the link you posted here doesn't work. Will you please post it again, or send it to me by PM? Thanks so much. cheers.

Sifu Terry

Hello Sifu Terry,

I'd like to ask you is it OK to exercise in this way ..

Wake up early in the morning, use the bathroom, then exercise Qigong, after that a shower, and finally a breakfast ?

I've read that shower after a Qigong session will affect the Qi, is it true ?

All the best

Hi QGLover,

Your morning sequence outlined above is fine.

But here is one suggestion that is taught across many Chinese internal energy traditions including Tao Tan Pai: Practice your FP Qigong or Tai Chi or other art the moment your feet hit the floor when you wake up in the morning--i.e. before the morning ablution. I won't explain the energetics of this practice for now, but over the longer term--i.e., years--this habit will lead to more health benefits from each practice session and to greater cumulative health and longevity.

Regards,

Sifu Terry

Hi Somemech,

Thanks for the drop-in and sorry to hear about your rib injury and transformation of your bike. I would love to see the youtube clip relating to the blue light, but the link you posted here doesn't work. Will you please post it again, or send it to me by PM? Thanks so much. cheers.

Sifu Terry

Hey Sifu Terry No probs ;)

Here's the direct link to the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWZoId-dZQ

Good news is the bike survived better than me in this case thank you know what :D

Weird thing though, as usual when I've had an accident i think nothing of it and keep soldiering on... The ribs got worse as time progressed till I made the decision to seek a qigong healer here in Melbourne Oz. I was getting worse and not better which is not my usual experience with any injury in the past. And I also have no idea on the Master's here in Melbourne to know if they are real or crap. Whatever happened the next day after thinking I may visit one woman I do not know....but I started to get better and I had no need to visit anyone. I don't believe in coincidences nor do I understand why? but heck it worked whatever happened by making that decision ;)

Dang good to have the limbs back for FP LOL :D

There's been a number of discussions on the blue aura associated with the practice of Flying Phoenix.

I can say at this point in my practice when I finish the FP meditations and open my eyes, the world looks blue. This is very cool. Especially in bright outdoor morning sunlight this blueness is especially pronounced. Everything looks as if it has a blue tint, as if I am seeing the world through light blue sunglasses.

It only lasts a few minutes. But while it lasts I marvel at how pleasant and enjoyable this is.

Somamech....yes, find one style qigong practice and stay with it. Traverse its full length. And be careful on the bike. :)

Thanks for you kind thoughts and the reminder of 'why' to practise FP Fu-Dog! :)

Its because of people like you I bought the DVD's and look after them as it worked even for a (restart lol) beginner like me as it said on the tin so to speak. No BS

Must be a sign! been years without a dog and now currently I am dog sitting a Lab for a few weeks that grew up in Taiwan and migrated to Oz.

:)

Hi QGLover,

Your morning sequence outlined above is fine.

But here is one suggestion that is taught across many Chinese internal energy traditions including Tao Tan Pai: Practice your FP Qigong or Tai Chi or other art the moment your feet hit the floor when you wake up in the morning--i.e. before the morning ablution. I won't explain the energetics of this practice for now, but over the longer term--i.e., years--this habit will lead to more health benefits from each practice session and to greater cumulative health and longevity.

Regards,

Sifu Terry

My first contribution to this thread, which I have followed avidly....

I've never heard this, in all my years of the internal arts, but I certainly have no reason to disbelieve it either, especially coming from someone who clearly knows the profound depths of his art.

I'd be very interested to hear the energetics of this approach, when you have time.

Thanks !

Hello Flying Phoenixers,

I just received this nice review of Flying Phoenix Volumes 1 and 2 at my company's email from a new practitioner in York, Pennsylvania and thought I'd share it with the thread to remind you all of that "first-time" experience of the Flying Phoenix...and to encourage y'all to really "run with it" to get the full dose of Flying Phoenix healing energy so that you see that beautiful blue...which then means that your romp on earth will be longer, wiser, more sublime and more passionate!!--

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:26 PM, steve MXXX <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info in the reply. I just want to add that I only received the dvds last week but compared to the other chi kung styles I have used over the past 5 years there is something really different about yours. I don't know what it is. I'm not talking about the feeling of chi flow in my hands, it is just an overall somewhat etherial mood that comes over me as soon as the opening scene comes up with you doing a moving form and that special music playing while the menu shows. I'm mesmerized by all that I experience from this dvd. And as you well know, the quality of the video and audio is really professional. It is so gratifying to order a product that really delivers what the website describes. I'm so looking forward to FP resulting in deepening my practice of Transcendental Meditation. One of my greatest regrets in life so far is that I did not pursue chi kung when I first tried it via a video around 1990. I have to force myself at night to stop doing chi kung in order to go to bed. I feel like a kid on xmas day who wants to stay up playing with his new toys. And I'm 64 years old. Thank you so much for adding more passion to my daily life!

Steve

Thanks, Steve!

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

My first contribution to this thread, which I have followed avidly....

I've never heard this, in all my years of the internal arts, but I certainly have no reason to disbelieve it either, especially coming from someone who clearly knows the profound depths of his art.

I'd be very interested to hear the energetics of this approach, when you have time.

Thanks !

Hello J-Z,

I first heard of this in 1975 by two friends that I met in Taiwan who were Qigong practitioners.

To explain it as simply as possible:

later on, I learned that there are some Qigong traditions (Tao Tan Pai for one) that advocate doing energy exercises the moment one wakes up in the morning and before one goes to the bathroom. It's an esoteric practice within certain Qigong styles--that also became a popular practice/habit and got established in Qigong "folklore" as a result of certain widespread publications in China:

The "Barefoot Doctor's Manual" published in China during the Cultural Revolution (or possibly before) and later cited the Whole Person Catalog in 1972, taught that if one did the Chinese calisthenic, Swhai Shou (Swing Arms) 600 times every day before the morning ablution (it's not that hard to do), one would never get sick. :D

Everyone knows that the body's energy is rested and regenerated during a night of normal sleep. Ancient Taoists and other yogins found out by trial-and-error that practicing upon rising form sleep was optimal for energy cultivation. Here are a few clues towards the reasons why:

Hint #1) Porkert's "Theoretical Foundations of Chinese Medicine" breaks down about 12 forms of Qi (Chi), including: Chi Magna (from breathing and qigong), Chi frumentarium (from food), Chi Nativum (energy that you're born with that cannot be replaced if damaged or depleted).

Hint #2) In Tao Tan Pai neigung, as a general rule of thumb, we advocate not drinking ice-cold liquids before or after training. And never to drink ice=cold drinks right after practicing TTP forms or neigung, for that would "crack the Ting."

Hint #3) Learn about the Ting and secret oral teachings in Chinese yoga with the corresponding I Ching Hexagram.

Overall, this "first thing in the morning" habit is not going to make or break your long-term cultivation--but would be a minor enhancement.

Best,

Sifu Terry

I find that the ambient qi is especially sweet and rich before sunrise (and also just as the sun is rising). Qigong during that time is especially :wub:, ime.

Hello J-Z,

I first heard of this in 1975 by two friends that I met in Taiwan who were Qigong practitioners.

To explain it as simply as possible:

later on, I learned that there are some Qigong traditions (Tao Tan Pai for one) that advocate doing energy exercises the moment one wakes up in the morning and before one goes to the bathroom. It's an esoteric practice within certain Qigong styles--that also became a popular practice/habit and got established in Qigong "folklore" as a result of certain widespread publications in China:

The "Barefoot Doctor's Manual" published in China during the Cultural Revolution (or possibly before) and later cited the Whole Person Catalog in 1972, taught that if one did the Chinese calisthenic, Swhai Shou (Swing Arms) 600 times every day before the morning ablution (it's not that hard to do), one would never get sick. :D

Everyone knows that the body's energy is rested and regenerated during a night of normal sleep. Ancient Taoists and other yogins found out by trial-and-error that practicing upon rising form sleep was optimal for energy cultivation. Here are a few clues towards the reasons why:

Hint #1) Porkert's "Theoretical Foundations of Chinese Medicine" breaks down about 12 forms of Qi (Chi), including: Chi Magna (from breathing and qigong), Chi frumentarium (from food), Chi Nativum (energy that you're born with that cannot be replaced if damaged or depleted).

Hint #2) In Tao Tan Pai neigung, as a general rule of thumb, we advocate not drinking ice-cold liquids before or after training. And never to drink ice=cold drinks right after practicing TTP forms or neigung, for that would "crack the Ting."

Hint #3) Learn about the Ting and secret oral teachings in Chinese yoga with the corresponding I Ching Hexagram.

Overall, this "first thing in the morning" habit is not going to make or break your long-term cultivation--but would be a minor enhancement.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Interesting, and many thanks for your time.

I have just ordered the DVDs, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the Flying Phoenix magic !

I've got almost two decades experience in Chi Gong and internal arts, but I think this is going to be very interesting ! :D

Thanks again for spending so much time with this thread.

I have just ordered the DVDs, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the Flying Phoenix magic !

I've got almost two decades experience in Chi Gong and internal arts, but I think this is going to be very interesting ! :D

You're very welcome, Jeremiah!

You're very welcome, JZ.

As you can imagine, it's very easy and a pleasure to teach-elucidate an effective, powerful authentic ancient energy healing art such as Flying Phoenix Chi Kung. As I said at least once or twice before, because FP Chi Kung is purely a healing-medical qigong system that cannot be abused and used for martial purposes, I have total freedom and no worries whatsoever in disclosing my personal experiences with its practice and in teaching it as thoroughly as I can.

And I must formally acknowledge the generosity of Grandmaster Doo Wai and the impeccability of his ancestors' secret Bok Fu Pai tradition for preserving this powerful Qigong across six generations. I think that more and more practitioners worldwide will come to realize that the FP Qigong is a very rare and special energy art because of its efficacy, safety, ease-of-learning, and completeness.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

http://taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1