Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Farewell Sifu Garry, you will be missed by all and I thank you for the help you have given me. All the best to you good sir. ^_^

John you are getting some good results from the FP meditations for example greater sensitivity and self healing. Keep practicing the FP meditations you will attain even greater results. As far as when to practice the FP meditations, it does not matter but wait at least 30 minutes after eating a meal to allow the food to digest. I practice FP meditations before and after my kung fu practice. Post more results. We can all grow by sharing our experiences with the FP meditations.

• Like 1

Wow.

What a rich and multi layered essay. Will re read again.

Deep bow.

thank you.

Craig

you're welcome, Craig.

Just pointing at what I see and then freely associating it to the truth about our Arts.

Rene -

To your question:

Once again, many thanks for sharing your FP experiences, this has been most inspiring for me, a newbie - From what you have seen, is there any particular energy center that is emphasized in this system, or are all the energy centers giving equal attention?

I believe you will find Sifu Terry's response to a similar question I asked very useful. Here is my question:

Hi Sifu Terry -

I have a question regarding the "Monk Holds Pearl" standing meditation. After the percentage breaths (50 40 30 20 10), do you recommend that the practitioner continues deep breathing to the lower dan tien, or do you advise to forget about breathing altogether and simply focus the awareness on the lower dan tien? Or, does it matter?

I have done it both ways, and I find after the percentage breaths to simply forget about breathing and focus attention solely on the lower dan tien is extremely refreshing.

That said, I want to practice in a manner consistent with the tradition of the Flying Phoenix Qigong art. So, thanks in advance for your advice and council on this.

Lloyd

And here is Sifu Terry's response:

Dear Lloyd,

Congrats. You've answered your own question correctly simply by practicing Monk Holding Pearl regularly for long enough a time.

You can choose to (a) mentally focus on the tan tien and natal breathing or (B) not to focus at all.

As I stated very early in this thread, once you complete the breath-control sequence at the start of each of the Flying Phoenix Meditations and do the posture/movements with proper form and relaxation, the FP Energy cultivation will take place regardless of how you focus your mind. And if you choose to completely not-focus, and find that refreshing (most people do), then you've found an optimal state of self-healing.

I repeat: while doing the FP Meditations, you can think about absolutely anything (--that isn't negative, morbid, evil, or destructive, of course) and still get profoundly energizing, healing, and rejuvenating results.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Sifu Terry

P.S. Tip: if one is spiritually inclined, the FP meditative state is a fine vehicle to deliver one's prayers to the One God--be it called Jehovah, Allah, Ahura Mazda, the Holy Tao, the Buddha, the Baby Buddha, or the Great Syrian Sage.

During my Flying Phoenix meditations, I have been going with the "no focus at all" and find this is giving me the best results.

Hope this helps.

Lloyd

A Reminder to all practitioners of Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong (and readers, too):

If you have been practicing the FP Qigong for one year or more on a regular basis (let's say minimum of 4 times per week), and you have not yet learned the two moving meditations "Wind Through Treetops" (80 50 30) and "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" (90 60 50 20) on volume 3 of the DVD series, you can now start practicing them. The basic standing meditations of Volume One and basic seated meditations in Volume Two form an essential foundation for learning the FP Qigong system and provides a certain level of verifiable health benefits, but the standing and moving meditations are essential to expand the cultivation of the Flying Phoenix healing energy to higher levels.

Reminder: as I stated very early on in this thread, the goal of the FP Qigong training is to develop oneself to be able to perform the Long Form Standing Mediation (90 60 5 50 40), which can then replace practice of all preceding meditations (if one wishes to).

This exercise, which GM Doo Wai described in so many words as the capstone of the FP Qigong system,expands the FP training to a totally different level and the takes the practitioner across the threshold from self-healing to having the instinct and facility to heal others.

Over the past 14 months or so, I've been happy to answer detailed questions regarding the practice of the basic standing and basic seated FP meditations to the best of my ability. To give me more exercise and perhaps challenge as a teacher, I'd like to hear a question or two about your practice of "Wind Through Treetops", "Moonbeam Splashes...", and the more complex "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation".

Happy New Year to all.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Sifu Terry,

I have some questions and observations on vol 3 and vol 4.

1) In "Moonbeam Splashes..." and "Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Mediation" you stand in the wide stance. As you do the "push" movement, it seems to me that there is pressure on the knees since my feet are still pointing forward while the torso is pointing to the right. Is this correct or have I misunderstood those movements?

It does not seem natural to put such pressure on the knees and I would rather move my feet to point the same direction as my torso.

2) An observation: I have done vol 3 for about 3 months, vol 4 for about 2 months. I have observed that the forms in vol 3 generate more energy that doing vol 4. Maybe I just need to practise vol 4 more?

Vol 4: when I do the crane stance with closed eyes it is hard to keep the balance on one foot. I guess my balance will be improved in time.

Rene -

To your question:

I believe you will find Sifu Terry's response to a similar question I asked very useful. Here is my question:

And here is Sifu Terry's response:

During my Flying Phoenix meditations, I have been going with the "no focus at all" and find this is giving me the best results.

Hope this helps.

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd,

Thanks again for the response, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

R

A Reminder to all practitioners of Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong (and readers, too):

If you have been practicing the FP Qigong for one year or more on a regular basis (let's say minimum of 4 times per week), and you have not yet learned the two moving meditations "Wind Through Treetops" (80 50 30) and "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" (90 60 50 20) on volume 3 of the DVD series, you can now start practicing them. The basic standing meditations of Volume One and basic seated meditations in Volume Two form an essential foundation for learning the FP Qigong system and provides a certain level of verifiable health benefits, but the standing and moving meditations are essential to expand the cultivation of the Flying Phoenix healing energy to higher levels.

Reminder: as I stated very early on in this thread, the goal of the FP Qigong training is to develop oneself to be able to perform the Long Form Standing Mediation (90 60 5 50 40), which can then replace practice of all preceding meditations (if one wishes to).

This exercise, which GM Doo Wai described in so many words as the capstone of the FP Qigong system,expands the FP training to a totally different level and the takes the practitioner across the threshold from self-healing to having the instinct and facility to heal others.

Over the past 14 months or so, I've been happy to answer very detailed questions regarding the practice of the basic standing and basic seated FP meditations to the best of my ability. To give me more exercise and perhaps challenge as a teacher, I'd like to hear a question or two about your practice of "Wind Through Treetops", "Moonbeam Splashes...", and the more complex "Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Mediation".

Happy New Year to all.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hello Sifu Terry,

Any additional advice for measuring the third percentage breath (the 5 percent breath) of the Long Form? I seem to have problems measuring using the "1 potato" yardstick - I do a "1 pota-" as my halfway measure for the breath, but I always worry that I've extended the count a little past this point to make it closer to 7 or eight percent - I realize I might be splitting hairs, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, as a general measure I have been using my heartbeats as an approximation of the "1 potato" count at times, is this OK to use as well?

Best,

Rene'

Hello Sifu Terry,

Any additional advice for measuring the third percentage breath (the 5 percent breath) of the Long Form? I seem to have problems measuring using the "1 potato" yardstick - I do a "1 pota-" as my halfway measure for the breath, but I always worry that I've extended the count a little past this point to make it closer to 7 or eight percent - I realize I might be splitting hairs, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, as a general measure I have been using my heartbeats as an approximation of the "1 potato" count at times, is this OK to use as well?

Best,

Rene'

Hello Rene,

For the very short 5% exhalation, you can try counting estimating half the time it takes to say "one potato." Since you are counting as 1/10 of your breach capacity what you are breathing during the time between your heartbeats (which is fine), you can exhale the 5% by estimating 1/2 an interval between heartbeats.

People vary greatly with how precisely they do the percentage exhalations in the FP Qigong; the important thing is that the % exhalations are correct relative to one another. Also very important is that one is fully concentrating on doing the % exhalations.

Enjoy the practice.

Sifu Terry

Hello Rene,

For the very short 5% exhalation, you can try counting estimating half the time it takes to say "one potato." Since you are counting as 1/10 of your breach capacity what you are breathing during the time between your heartbeats (which is fine), you can exhale the 5% by estimating 1/2 an interval between heartbeats.

People vary greatly with how precisely they do the percentage exhalations in the FP Qigong; the important thing is that the % exhalations are correct relative to one another. Also very important is that one is fully concentrating on doing the % exhalations.

Enjoy the practice.

Sifu Terry

Hello Sifu Terry,

Many thanks for the response, this helps a lot.

All the best,

Rene'

Hi Sifu Terry and other people who have shared their experience with Thee Flying Phoenix.

As a soon to be beginner, I greatly appreciate what has been shared.

On another note which bought me to this system. GM Doo Wai and Egypt :D

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry and other people who have shared their experience with Thee Flying Phoenix.

As a soon to be beginner, I greatly appreciate what has been shared.

On another note which bought me to this system. GM Doo Wai and Egypt :D

Hi Somamech,

Welcome to the Flying Phoenix discussion. I think you can thank Fu_dog, Sifu Garry Hearfield and I think Trunk for starting this thread way back in Nov. or Dec. of 2009. I came on a few months later when Fu_Dog told me about it and asked me to answer questions. I was surprised and thrilled to meet Sifu Garry on this thread who's in Australia (I'm in Los Angeles) because he received the most advanced and complete transmission of the White Tiger Kung-Fu and Ehrmei Bak Mei Kung-fu from our teacher, GM Doo Wai, while I received the Flying Phoenix Qigong and two other internal systems.

Best,

Terry Dunn

Hi WTM,

Answers below in bold:

Sifu Terry,

I have some questions and observations on vol 3 and vol 4.

1) In "Moonbeam Splashes..." and "Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Mediation" you stand in the wide stance. As you do the "push" movement, it seems to me that there is pressure on the knees since my feet are still pointing forward while the torso is pointing to the right. Is this correct or have I misunderstood those movements?

It does not seem natural to put such pressure on the knees and I would rather move my feet to point the same direction as my torso.

As described, you are doing them correctly. Beginners will find practice of "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" and the long standing meditation on Vol. 4 "FPHHCM" to put some pressure on the knees on the Press-like and Push-like movements. That is simply remedied by diligent practice at the proper slow speed that will over time loosen the waist and all the joints of the legs.

On the DVD's I stand in a wide, 2-shoulders' width stance so that beginners develop greater flexbility and circulation faster. As you progress, "Moonbeam" and Vol. 4 "FPHHCM", can be done in a wu-chi stance just slight wider than shoulder's width. And the feet can be parallel to slight turned outward (from 10 to 45 degrees from straight ahead).

btw, at advanced levels of Tai Chi Chuan and Liu He Ba Fa training, one practices the Forms in stationery wu-chi or horse stance for internal energy cultivation--just as you do in Wind Above Clouds, Wind Thru Treetops, Moonbeam, and the Vol.4 Long Meditation. Here's beautiful example of standing practice--Master Yun Sin Sen's LHBF in Shanghai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulmKll3ZrDs&feature=related

2) An observation: I have done vol 3 for about 3 months, vol 4 for about 2 months. I have observed that the forms in vol 3 generate more energy that doing vol 4. Maybe I just need to practise vol 4 more?

Correct. Practice the Vol.4 Meditation more and at slowest speed possible. You will eventually experience that its cultivation is deeper and longer lasting than Moonbeam and WTT and WAC.

Vol 4: when I do the crane stance with closed eyes it is hard to keep the balance on one foot. I guess my balance will be improved in time.

Correct. You'll develop effortless balance in that crane stance (and transitions to and from it) with more practice. Also, make sure right foot is 45 degrees relative to direction of the left toe/foot before you raise the left knee.

Keep practicing calmly, slowly and you will see results. Memory flash: that is how GM Doo Wai used to modestly forecast the effectiveness of each of the internal arts he taught: "With this you'll see results."

Excellent that you're crossing the line from the stationery standing meditations to the moving meditations in stance.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Sorry I forgot this one, when doing FP in vol 1 is it good just to do the postures and the breathing seguences.To be more clear at monk gazing at moon I take 3 ful breaths and then i do the seguences on the end again 3 full breaths and i finish the monk gazing at moon on the second exercise again I take 3 full breaths and do the seguences of the bending the bow and same on the third exercise.Should I continiue like this

Hi Somamech,

Welcome to the Flying Phoenix discussion. I think you can thank Fu_dog, Sifu Garry Hearfield and I think Trunk for starting this thread way back in Nov. or Dec. of 2009. I came on a few months later when Fu_Dog told me about it and asked me to answer questions. I was surprised and thrilled to meet Sifu Garry on this thread who's in Australia (I'm in Los Angeles) because he received the most advanced and complete transmission of the White Tiger Kung-Fu and Ehrmei Bak Mei Kung-fu from our teacher, GM Doo Wai, while I received the Flying Phoenix Qigong and two other internal systems.

Best,

Terry Dunn

I wholeheartedly thank all participating in this thread and especially the good folk you make mention of for starting it to begin with!

Serendipity... After a two week break from work over the holiday period I knew I needed to take another step in my path. I happened upon this thread after reading many a thread here for a couple of weeks and knew after reading the first couple of pages of this thread that I had found some profound knowledge that felt 'right' ;)

All the best!

Shane :)

• Like 1

Sifu Terry does the FP have efect on the aura's of the human body I want to clean my aura's and also my seven cakras from bad energies which of the vol 1 and vol 2 are good for this.

chakra illumination:

Diligent practice of FP Qigong will greatly transform one's internal energy and overall being into one of healthy well-being. But its practice does not require subscribing to or focussing either mentally or visually on the "energy map" of the 7 chakras. As practically all FP Qigong practitioners have found, all that's required is to do the breath control sequence of each meditation and then hold the posture and if there are movements, do the movements.

As for cleaning your aura, the quickest, easiest and most effective way to do that is to stand with both feet (with shoes on) for a minute or two in a vat or shallow pan of ammonia. It is one of the cheapest and most powerful means to remove "bad energies" --including low-level (i.e., weaker) demonic spirits--if they happen to be clinging to you or following you around.

This is not a Chinese prescription, but an old and very basic tool of western alchemy.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Sorry I forgot this one, when doing FP in vol 1 is it good just to do the postures and the breathing seguences.To be more clear at monk gazing at moon I take 3 ful breaths and then i do the seguences on the end again 3 full breaths and i finish the monk gazing at moon on the second exercise again I take 3 full breaths and do the seguences of the bending the bow and same on the third exercise.Should I continiue like this

Just follow the breathing instructions on the DVD's exactly as they appear on your TV:

A. You do the breathing sequence just once at the beginning of each of the Flying Phoenix exercises.

B. You first take 3 deep breathes before you do the percentage exhalation breathing sequence.

C. Then, whenever you want to stop the meditation, you take 3 deep breathes to end it.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Sify Terry in the meditation bending the bow after you finish the seguences and start meditate you continue with the moving can I skip this or it is a part of FP.Also I'm confused how to breathe when I move with my hands in meditation should I breathe in harmony with the movments because you say to move as slow as posible and I can not breathe so slow.And how to add more meditations when I strarted to exercise the FP, the first meditation I exercised 2 weeks and then I add the second and so on.Sorry for asking so many questions and taking your time thank you..

Best Chakra ...

Dear Chakra,

there is just one reason I won't be the one to answer your question...

THAT IS: this whole thread should be read not just once by those

practicing the FP from Terry. The reason: your questions are answered

in there and there is so much great information you just shouldn't be without.

So take your time reading... really beneficial and most questionsanswering

sincerely

Harry

chakra illumination:

Diligent practice of FP Qigong will greatly transform one's internal energy and overall being into one of healthy well-being. But its practice does not require subscribing to or focussing either mentally or visually on the "energy map" of the 7 chakras. As practically all FP Qigong practitioners have found, all that's required is to do the breath control sequence of each meditation and then hold the posture and if there are movements, do the movements.

As for cleaning your aura, the quickest, easiest and most effective way to do that is to stand with both feet (with shoes on) for a minute or two in a vat or shallow pan of ammonia. It is one of the cheapest and most powerful means to remove "bad energies" --including low-level (i.e., weaker) demonic spirits--if they happen to be clinging to you or following you around.

This is not a Chinese prescription, but an old and very basic tool of western alchemy.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hello Sifu Terry,

Once again, many thanks for passing on to us so much useful information.

All the best,

Rene'

• Like 1

Just wanted to drop a line to let you folks know that I recently ordered the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung series from Dunn Sifu. I'll keep you folks up to date, and I must say the service ordering directly from his website was excellent. www.taichimania.com I'm up in Canada and it arrived within a week.

Looking forward to having more discussion on both this method, and the Tao.

Edited by YuLong