findley

Marijuana Revelations; Modern Taoists in Modern China

I apologize for freaking out on you Mikaelz. You certainly did not deserve the FIRE AND BLOOD spewing out of my fingertips. Regardless, please know that the intent behind my expression was not malicious.

That said, I actually think you're a nice, bright fella, and sometimes I actually learn from your posts (when they're not directed at me). But like Chicultivation says, ya just gotta word it a little differently. That is EXACTLY what the issue is about. Show just a little more respect and humility towards the recipient of your expression and you will notice a cournicopia of positive reactions towards that. It's human nature, my friend. :)

personally i find findleys posts quite entertaining, though many tell him to mellow out and the like. i really get the impression that he isnt being completely serious when he goes off with shit like YOU FOOLS BLAH BLAH BLAH ETC ETC. perhaps he is trying to evoke a response?

isnt there the chinese saying something like the best medicine is the most bitter and of course the zen saying if it offends the ear it is certainly frank advice, but i guess in spite of this timeworn wisdom we should all just be nice little care bears? of course one could overdo this and just become insulting for insults sake.

on the much discussed topic of uses of "drugs" for realization(s) i will simply say that since you feel something is poisonous to you or deludes you, what is the root of that feeling/thought? always was a fan of lucretius' quote: "what may be poison to one may be food to another" i think people put too much emphasis on the aid or detriment that these substances may have on ones precious "spiritual development", if someone else thinks they it helps them, why should it matter to yours?

I apologize for freaking out on you Mikaelz. You certainly did not deserve the FIRE AND BLOOD spewing out of my fingertips. Regardless, please know that the intent behind my expression was not malicious.

That said, I actually think you're a nice, bright fella, and sometimes I actually learn from your posts (when they're not directed at me). But like Chicultivation says, ya just gotta word it a little differently. That is EXACTLY what the issue is about. Show just a little more respect and humility towards the recipient of your expression and you will notice a cournicopia of positive reactions towards that. It's human nature, my friend. :)

i gotta learn them skillful means, i know i know. thank you. and glad you get something out of my rants once in a while.

i gotta learn them skillful means, i know i know. thank you. and glad you get something out of my rants once in a while.

Its all in how you take it - I took your posts as nothing but frank honesty. Nothing wrong with that. It gets annoying when you have to put the kid gloves on and be overly explicit in order to cover 10,000 vantage points of the issue at hand.

Its all in how you take it - I took your posts as nothing but frank honesty. Nothing wrong with that. It gets annoying when you have to put the kid gloves on and be overly explicit in order to cover 10,000 vantage points of the issue at hand.

so what exactly is an "adult glove"? Please, i would really really like to know your definition of "adult glove".

Hey, check it out, i did a google image search of "adult glove" and guess what it turned up?

glove_anakin_skywalker.jpg

My, my, it's Anakin Skywalker's glove - the one he had to put on his mechanical arm after he turned into Darth Vader and joined the dark side. The second image that turned up for "adult glove", leads to a dungeon with leather straps and dildos.

Please read through various other threads where you have posted. There is at least one person who has a problem with you in each of those threads. Do you really think you cannot try to word your posts a little better to not come across as a total jerk? Or all the people who think your way of posting is nasty are attached to their egos, delusional and require a piece of your mind? Please remember that you contribute equally towards this drama. I should also point out that you would get better advice if you were a little less of a jerk. Two veterans on this board mentioned they did not want to reply to your post to avoid ridicule and abusive arguments with you. If not for your attitude, these two would probably give you the best advice on cleansing. It's a pattern that is easy to notice and learn :)

never mind- ala Roseanne Rossanadanna

Edited by Wayfarer64

so what exactly is an "adult glove"? Please, i would really really like to know your definition of "adult glove".

Hey, check it out, i did a google image search of "adult glove" and guess what it turned up?

My, my, it's Anakin Skywalker's glove - the one he had to put on his mechanical arm after he turned into Darth Vader and joined the dark side. The second image that turned up for "adult glove", leads to a dungeon with leather straps and dildos.

C'mon, you're more intelligent than that! Focus on the main point, forget about silly rhetoric that is only going to make you appear foolish.

Since there seems to be a rash of spell it out lately, here you go: when you get an honest observation, do you need to take offense because its something you dont want to hear? Do you read fully, consider the root of the argument, and not bitch and whine about the leaves, at least until root, trunk and branch have been considered? Do you jump to a defensive conclusion at the slightest mention of dropping something you dont want to let go of?

Kid gloves means treating something with exceeding and undue caution because you dont want to deal with the tantrum that will likely follow if frank honesty is employed.

Edited by joeblast

C'mon, you're more intelligent than that! Focus on the main point, forget about silly rhetoric that is only going to make you appear foolish.

I think this thread deserves a proper burial.

Personally i was cracking up while writing that response to Joe, but of course, as i should have guessed, he wasn't laughing nor were some of you.

Threads dead.

Ok, I haven't read this entire thread, it looks like it falls off into all sorts of tangents, so I'm just going to address the original post.

Findley, you strike an interesting balance of belligerence and sincerity. Do you know "The Journey West (西游记)"? In certain ways, your character resembles Sun Wukong the Monkey King. He is a metaphor for Po, a cultivated Po at that. Unscrupulous, but sincere. He is the protector of the tale's Hun counterpart Tangsung. It's a good story, and knowing it will surely endear you to the Chinese.

That said, quoting scripture, will also endear you a bit. A bit. As in, "hey this foreigner knows a little about our culture".

But, if you want to impress, what you want to say, you need to be. What you embody, you don't need to say. Anyone who really cultivates will see you for who you are anyway. Leave to world of words to academics and cheats. After all, quoting Daodejing is itself a contradiction - the Dao that can be spoken... well you know the rest.

Knowledge is gauged in three degrees of depth.

One, that which you've heard, and repeat. Like parrots or the Christian right.

Two, that which you've heard or read, analyzed, and integrated. Intelligent people do this.

Three, that which you've experienced and embody. Wise people do this.

Be wise and you'll earn big respect. No need to tell people what you are if you already exude it.

Good luck, banana head.

Hehe.

I'm glad there's another fan of the story.

You could read these three, Sun Wukong, Zhubajie, and Sha Heshang as three stages of cultivating the Shi Shen (识神 the egoic mind).

Sha Heshang is a beginner. In the story he's rather boring. He has begun cultivation, but he hasn't manifested much, thought much, and as such hasn't much to say.

Zhu Bajie has reached an intermediate level. He has really cultivated, but he still gets distracted. At the intermediate level, one's vices make a vigorous last stand. Zhu Bajie is sincere, no doubt, but still lives at the mercy of a desirous mind.

Sun Wukong represents high level of egoic cultivation. He is completely sincere, "with one heart faces Dao (一心向道)". But he is still a manifestation of a Po, Shi Shen. And as such, rather unscrupulous and unquestionably arrogant. Nevertheless, he is the hero par excellence at task with protecting Tangsung's heavenly duty.

The ego is at task with protecting and acting on behalf of the spirit.

Monkey, Pulp Fiction.... we need a bit of Avatar

O3ed9KpdAV8

and a remix with some of Master Bruce B)

GZ9e3Dy7obA

Ok, I haven't read this entire thread, it looks like it falls off into all sorts of tangents, so I'm just going to address the original post.

Findley, you strike an interesting balance of belligerence and sincerity. Do you know "The Journey West (西游记)"? In certain ways, your character resembles Sun Wukong the Monkey King. He is a metaphor for Po, a cultivated Po at that. Unscrupulous, but sincere. He is the protector of the tale's Hun counterpart Tangsung. It's a good story, and knowing it will surely endear you to the Chinese.

That said, quoting scripture, will also endear you a bit. A bit. As in, "hey this foreigner knows a little about our culture".

But, if you want to impress, what you want to say, you need to be. What you embody, you don't need to say. Anyone who really cultivates will see you for who you are anyway. Leave to world of words to academics and cheats. After all, quoting Daodejing is itself a contradiction - the Dao that can be spoken... well you know the rest.

Knowledge is gauged in three degrees of depth.

One, that which you've heard, and repeat. Like parrots or the Christian right.

Two, that which you've heard or read, analyzed, and integrated. Intelligent people do this.

Three, that which you've experienced and embody. Wise people do this.

Be wise and you'll earn big respect. No need to tell people what you are if you already exude it.

Good luck, banana head.

I agree with the 3 degrees... But Bananas do not work that way! He's a pot head...