seekeroftruth

Michael Lomax

Mr. Jackson used to sing: "Heal the world... make it a better plaaaaaaace..."

I don't think with all the throwing of words onto each others faces you do that

EXCEPT you do it so hard that you knock each other out ;)

just joking...

Two things I feel necessary to separate:

DVDs & books are media that can and should be reviewed whoever wrote or produced them.

One can not like the format of a media or the content or or or... THIS never says anything against the teacher as a person or the quality of her/his art... it just says something about what one feels/thinks about the book or the other media.

If someone states though he is up for a negative review it for sure will be just negative and I would better not want to read it.

If someone gives a constructive review I would: a constructive review usually includes to name ones own expectations and how and why they weren't met. Again: one does not actually critisize the author or producer then but actually shows that ones own expectations just were off (this is not negatively stated but just reflects the truth) telling others: if you have this and that expectation it might not fit you... if you havent it could.

One thing to keep in mind and to underline the idea of "you should have practiced a certain amount of time": doing the practice puts the book & DVD in a completely new perspective... and what you might have not found to be useful before gets the highest value it can get.

And be assured: initially I liked the book but myself found it not be be practically useful (I DO know others DID) -simply the way I can deal with that kind of material-... but after the workshop I realized what actually was packed in there: perspective change for sure!

Just my thoughts

hope you got my PM Michael...

sincerely

Harry

Edited by sunshine

its very possible that you just don't resonate with this system and it is not meant for you to learn it while it is for others. Not everything is meant for everyone as everyone is different.

Quite possible.

Listen, I don't mean any disrespect to you or to the author of the book and DVD. I am more than willing to give a full critique of the book and DVD, but I'm also wary, because I know that Lomax is active on this thread. I think it is worthwhile that I give my (negative) review, because I think it is useful for consumers to hear all points of view, but I also don't like the idea of creating enemies or engendering hard feelings, here on TTB.

Let me know if you (or Ya Mu) would like me to explain what I did not like about the book and DVD.

Otis, if you have any questions I would be glad to answer them. Please don't assume you understand something you don't. And I would appreciate if you knock off the negativity with the implied things that you imply. If everyone else can see that you are doing that why can't you? And why can't you answer the simple question that 3 people have already asked (now 4). It is not a difficult question. "How much did you practice the Gift of the Tao? How much did you practice the Stillness-Movement?"

You have already demonstrated your intent, whether it is conscious or subconscious with these statements:

"I mean no disrespect..." then you find the most negative post you can and say you agree with it. Wouldn't it have been better to simply ask me about the things you don't understand? Or to simply say you didn't like the book or the movements and explain why?

" ...On the other hand, one does hope that a master will exhibit his mastery somehow, whether in the form of words that resonate with truth, or through a body that resonates with Qi."

So why are you implying things that are not true? You are directly implying that I do not demonstrate any mastery, that I do not speak the truth, and that I show no qi. And please don't say that is not your intent, otherwise you wouldn't have said it. Why do you wish to do this? What benefit is it to anyone? It seems that this is not about "reviewing" the book or DVD but some type of ulterior motive. Unfortunately this forum has become full of people who say such things, demonstrating passive aggressive behavior, ignoring the issues, making assumptions based on air, and generally contributing to the negativity of the world. Harmony and true respect would be much better things.

Why don't you just go ahead and post a review and quit the negative non-sense? I already know what you would say and believe it or not agree with some of your points from the perspective of someone taught some specific premise of energetics. Doesn't mean you understand or that the premise is true. Just include the answer to the above question that 4 people have asked you in your review.

I don't mind if anyone doesn't like the book. What you have said here isn't about that, though. The book is mostly about my experiences. People either enjoy reading about them or they don't. Nothing debatable there, simply a personal choice. And with a 30 day money back guarantee it needed no crusaders to "protect the consumers". The book print edition is sold out.

Again,if you wish me to explain anything for you I would be glad to do so. Asking instead of assuming when one doesn't understand something is always a respectful, peaceful approach to these things. I am reluctant to get into any type of conflict with my peers's students or my peer's student's students, which represent the largest part of posters here. And I don't wish conflict with you. But I do think many of those teachers would be appalled at some of the things that are said on this board, as I am.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 2

Otis, if you have any questions I would be glad to answer them. Please don't assume you understand something you don't. And I would appreciate if you knock off the negativity with the implied things that you imply. If everyone else can see that you are doing that why can't you? And why can't you answer the simple question that 3 people have already asked (now 4). It is not a difficult question. "How much did you practice the Gift of the Tao? How much did you practice the Stillness-Movement?"

You have already demonstrated your intent, whether it is conscious or subconscious with these statements:

"I mean no disrespect..." then you find the most negative post you can and say you agree with it. Wouldn't it have been better to simply ask me about the things you don't understand? Or to simply say you didn't like the book or the movements and explain why?

" ...On the other hand, one does hope that a master will exhibit his mastery somehow, whether in the form of words that resonate with truth, or through a body that resonates with Qi."

So why are you implying things that are not true? You are directly implying that I do not demonstrate any mastery, that I do not speak the truth, and that I show no qi. And please don't lie and say that is not your intent, otherwise you wouldn't have said it. Why do you wish to do this? What benefit is it to anyone? It seems that this is not about "reviewing" the book or DVD but some type of ulterior motive. Unfortunately this forum has become full of people who say such things, demonstrating passive aggressive behavior, ignoring the issues, making assumptions based on air, and generally contributing to the negativity of the world. Harmony and true respect would be much better things.

Why don't you just go ahead and post a review and quit the negative non-sense? I already know what you would say and believe it or not agree with some of your points from the perspective of someone taught some specific premise of energetics. Doesn't mean you understand or that the premise is true. Just include the answer to the above question that 4 people have asked you in your review.

I don't mind if anyone doesn't like the book. What you have said here isn't about that, though. The book is mostly about my experiences. People either enjoy reading about them or they don't. Nothing debatable there, simply a personal choice. And with a 30 day money back guarantee it needed no crusaders to "protect the consumers". The book print edition is sold out.

Again,if you wish me to explain anything for you I would be glad to do so. Asking instead of assuming when one doesn't understand something is always a respectful, peaceful approach to these things. I am reluctant to get into any type of conflict with my peers's students or my peer's student's students, which represent the largest part of posters here. And I don't wish conflict with you. But I do think many of those teachers would be appalled at some of the things that are said on this board, as I am.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the invitation to critique your media. I have been hesitant to write in details, not because I'm trying to be elusive, but because I'm trying not to be mean. My critique will sound harsh, but not because I have "ulterior motives", but because I honestly did not enjoy your works, or find them useful.

On the other hand, I have dropped mentions over the last couple pages, which suggest what I did not like about the media. Perhaps I should not have, perhaps I should have just kept my opinions to myself, keep the peace with my fellow Bums. But I did not do so, so I guess I'm immersed in this now.

Of course, my critique is not for you. I think you'll be offended, but I doubt that you will benefit from my words. There is nothing constructive in them. My critique would only be for other consumers, so they can make up their mind based upon all the available reports, rather than just the ones that favor your materials.

I can give a thousand caveats, about why my opinion is colored by ignorance. I am not a critic of masters. I don't know you in person, I have never taken your courses, I have never even conversed with you, here on Tao Bums. I do not know Michael Lomax, at all. All I am responding to is 1. what you wrote, and 2. the impression of you I got from the DVD.

To answer your question, I did not practice what you teach. My critique is NOT saying that you have nothing to teach, or that the methods don't work, because I have no idea. I have not responded directly to that question, because it is irrelevant to my critique.

To be clear, again, I am NOT saying that there is no value in the book and DVD. I am saying merely that I found no value in the book, and that the DVD turned me off from considering you as a masterful teacher.

About the book: as I mentioned above, SiliconValley's critique of the book very much matches my experience of it. The book had plenty of wild stories in it, interesting in a Castaneda sort of way. But there was nothing in the book, which distinguished for me, the difference between "this guy has done amazing things" and "this guy is making this all up". How am I supposed to recognize truth in what sounds exactly like a fantasy? Am I, as the reader, expected to just believe everything you write, when I have no compelling reason to do so?

All of that aside, I still read the book with zeal, thinking that at some point, there was going to be something in it, which connected directly with me. When reading Bruce Frantzis' book (and those of several other masterful teachers), every single page is full of material that makes me nod in agreement, and even shout out "yes, yes"! But I did not have that experience with your book at all. The only statement that I recognized as real wisdom was "there are always more levels". Again, I fully acknowledge that this does not mean that there wasn't wisdom there, which I just did not recognize. It just means that there wasn't anything for me, which is my sole point.

There are so many teachers, so much source material, in this world, that of course I must make some choices based upon my biases. I do not pretend to be above them, or in any way "objective". But I must make my choices not to waste time with teachers who do not seem to have anything to feed me. If I had felt at all "fed", then I would not be making this critique.

And, of course, that brings me to the DVD. This critique is the one I'm more afraid to make, because it is much more personal, based upon your appearance. Again, not to claim that I can watch someone on a video, and derive from that, an accurate sense of their mastery. But rather, like I mentioned above, I do still have to use some discernment, not to chase down blind alleys. Had I seen mastery in your movement, then I would not be making this critique.

I have been doing energy work for about a decade now, and I have seen its powerful transformative work. I know how liberating Qi Gung can be, how powerful, graceful and dynamic movement becomes, with authentic understanding of the self as energy.

How exciting it was, then to get to watch a master do it, and learn from the source. And so I popped in the DVD, and started watching. But this teacher, this Michael Lomax guy, did not come across as someone who understood his own body. He had no apparent grace, no power. He seemed a stranger to his own anatomy, with a terrible posture and a very bound torso. He did movements, but without the grounded authenticity that I recognize from Qi work. He moved his arms up and down, but the rest of his body was not connected to that movement. He seemed more like an SNL parody of a Qi Gung teacher, than a real master. (Maybe this is because you have overcome great physical obstacles, have improved a radically deformed body, or something, but I have no such context, from which to soften my impression).

So, yes, this is very harsh, which is why I have not posted it yet. I'm sorry to say these words to your face, and would not have done so if you had not directly invited me to. (That said, as a person who calls himself a teacher, and sells your instructions, I do not think you have the right to be above criticism).

So again, I am not saying that you are not what you claim to be, or that your materials or seminars are not useful to some. I am merely speaking about (my impression of) what you said and did in your media. That is all I have to go on (and your posts in this thread, which I find, sadly, to be rather defensive).

I am very devoted to my energy work, and so I am interested in finding real masters to illuminate the path before me. But I still have to choose who I call teacher, and my choice still has to be made, based upon available information. Since the book had almost no recognizable wisdom, and the DVD had no recognizable mastery, then I am not at all drawn toward you, as a teacher. Since I hear other people making the choice to spend money on the media, based upon positive reports, and I hear people with negative reports censoring themselves, then I think that my report may help give a more balanced view on this thread. That is why I'm contributing, not because I think that I am doing you any favors with my critique.

Again, I am sorry for being so harsh in my criticism. I do not like the idea of making enemies, or creating ill will, here on TTB. If you were not on these boards, I would have made my criticism a while back (instead of just offering to pass on my copies). The above statements are as accurate to my experience of your work, as possible. I am not claiming that anything is truth, just offering my honest feedback, which you asked for.

Peace.

• Like 3

Hello All,

I recently read Lomax's book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is more personal and inspirational than a book about technique. If one is reading it to learn technique then they will be disappointed, so it's not really fair to compare it to Frantzis' tomes. Lomax acknowledges at the beginning that this is not a typical qigong book since there are already many out there. There is some information on technique and practical application but that is not the focus of the book.

The book resonated with me for this very reason, as my own experience with qigong has left me disinterested in the particulars of technique and more interested in the experience and the why of it. And this is a book about the experience. It has a lot of Heart. That's why I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the invitation to critique your media. I have been hesitant to write in details, not because I'm trying to be elusive, but because I'm trying not to be mean. My critique will sound harsh, but not because I have "ulterior motives", but because I honestly did not enjoy your works, or find them useful.

On the other hand, I have dropped mentions over the last couple pages, which suggest what I did not like about the media. Perhaps I should not have, perhaps I should have just kept my opinions to myself, keep the peace with my fellow Bums. But I did not do so, so I guess I'm immersed in this now.

Of course, my critique is not for you. I think you'll be offended, but I doubt that you will benefit from my words. There is nothing constructive in them. My critique would only be for other consumers, so they can make up their mind based upon all the available reports, rather than just the ones that favor your materials.

I can give a thousand caveats, about why my opinion is colored by ignorance. I am not a critic of masters. I don't know you in person, I have never taken your courses, I have never even conversed with you, here on Tao Bums. I do not know Michael Lomax, at all. All I am responding to is 1. what you wrote, and 2. the impression of you I got from the DVD.

To answer your question, I did not practice what you teach. My critique is NOT saying that you have nothing to teach, or that the methods don't work, because I have no idea. I have not responded directly to that question, because it is irrelevant to my critique.

To be clear, again, I am NOT saying that there is no value in the book and DVD. I am saying merely that I found no value in the book, and that the DVD turned me off from considering you as a masterful teacher.

About the book: as I mentioned above, SiliconValley's critique of the book very much matches my experience of it. The book had plenty of wild stories in it, interesting in a Castaneda sort of way. But there was nothing in the book, which distinguished for me, the difference between "this guy has done amazing things" and "this guy is making this all up". How am I supposed to recognize truth in what sounds exactly like a fantasy? Am I, as the reader, expected to just believe everything you write, when I have no compelling reason to do so?

All of that aside, I still read the book with zeal, thinking that at some point, there was going to be something in it, which connected directly with me. When reading Bruce Frantzis' book (and those of several other masterful teachers), every single page is full of material that makes me nod in agreement, and even shout out "yes, yes"! But I did not have that experience with your book at all. The only statement that I recognized as real wisdom was "there are always more levels". Again, I fully acknowledge that this does not mean that there wasn't wisdom there, which I just did not recognize. It just means that there wasn't anything for me, which is my sole point.

There are so many teachers, so much source material, in this world, that of course I must make some choices based upon my biases. I do not pretend to be above them, or in any way "objective". But I must make my choices not to waste time with teachers who do not seem to have anything to feed me. If I had felt at all "fed", then I would not be making this critique.

And, of course, that brings me to the DVD. This critique is the one I'm more afraid to make, because it is much more personal, based upon your appearance. Again, not to claim that I can watch someone on a video, and derive from that, an accurate sense of their mastery. But rather, like I mentioned above, I do still have to use some discernment, not to chase down blind alleys. Had I seen mastery in your movement, then I would not be making this critique.

I have been doing energy work for about a decade now, and I have seen its powerful transformative work. I know how liberating Qi Gung can be, how powerful, graceful and dynamic movement becomes, with authentic understanding of the self as energy.

How exciting it was, then to get to watch a master do it, and learn from the source. And so I popped in the DVD, and started watching. But this teacher, this Michael Lomax guy, did not come across as someone who understood his own body. He had no apparent grace, no power. He seemed a stranger to his own anatomy, with a terrible posture and a very bound torso. He did movements, but without the grounded authenticity that I recognize from Qi work. He moved his arms up and down, but the rest of his body was not connected to that movement. He seemed more like an SNL parody of a Qi Gung teacher, than a real master. (Maybe this is because you have overcome great physical obstacles, have improved a radically deformed body, or something, but I have no such context, from which to soften my impression).

So, yes, this is very harsh, which is why I have not posted it yet. I'm sorry to say these words to your face, and would not have done so if you had not directly invited me to. (That said, as a person who calls himself a teacher, and sells your instructions, I do not think you have the right to be above criticism).

So again, I am not saying that you are not what you claim to be, or that your materials or seminars are not useful to some. I am merely speaking about (my impression of) what you said and did in your media. That is all I have to go on (and your posts in this thread, which I find, sadly, to be rather defensive).

I am very devoted to my energy work, and so I am interested in finding real masters to illuminate the path before me. But I still have to choose who I call teacher, and my choice still has to be made, based upon available information. Since the book had almost no recognizable wisdom, and the DVD had no recognizable mastery, then I am not at all drawn toward you, as a teacher. Since I hear other people making the choice to spend money on the media, based upon positive reports, and I hear people with negative reports censoring themselves, then I think that my report may help give a more balanced view on this thread. That is why I'm contributing, not because I think that I am doing you any favors with my critique.

Again, I am sorry for being so harsh in my criticism. I do not like the idea of making enemies, or creating ill will, here on TTB. If you were not on these boards, I would have made my criticism a while back (instead of just offering to pass on my copies). The above statements are as accurate to my experience of your work, as possible. I am not claiming that anything is truth, just offering my honest feedback, which you asked for.

Peace.

Thanks Otis for your honest critique. Let me just say a few things which I felt from your post. I think the phrase, "Don't judge a book by its cover", completely embodies Michael Lomax. Too many people seek out supposed teachers and masters of whom fit their preconceived notions of what a master should be, and many times just get cheated because of false beliefs because they are not truly SEEING. From your post, I get the feeling that on some level you are being manipulated by these preconceived notions of what a master "should" be, which is impacting your judgment. This reminds me of the children's story, The Talking Eggs, in which the small plain eggs were filled with treasure and the large jeweled eggs were filled with pests and monsters. Outer appearance can be pretty misleading, until you open up the egg you won't know what kind of treasure lies inside. So my advice would be to hold off on judgment until you actually give Michael's system a good ole honest try.

I'll tell you my experience with Gift of the Tao. I'll compare it to another qigong DVD I started doing before Michael's one. I started practicing Master Bingkun Hu's "Creating Flexibility Through Qigong" DVD for a few weeks. In his form of qigong the entire focus is breath and body control while doing the movements. I could feel some qi movement while doing it and I was fairly pleased with it. Later I found out about Michael Lomax's system which very much intrigued me so I purchased his Gift of the Tao DVD. For me personally, the difference between the two DVD's were immense. With Master Bingkun Hu's DVD I was feeling mild qi sensations, whereas the second I started doing Michael's DVD I began feeling immense sensations of energy with the movements. Each movement in Gift of the Tao seemed to only get more powerful and by the end of the DVD I was buzzing with energy in a way I had never experienced before, not only that but I actually felt I had risen to a higher level of consciousness and was experiencing a new sense of inner peace and calm I had never felt before. So far I have yet to experience a more powerful set of qigong movements that Gift of the Tao, especially when doing it along with the DVD which seems to greatly increase the power in the qigong for me. I admit though that I am still fairly new to qigong and have only tried a handful of styles out there, so can there be a set of movements immensely more powerful than Gift of the Tao, sure why not, all I can comment on is what I have personally experienced and so far Gift of the Tao has been unbelievable; I haven't even tried stillness movement yet which I am greatly looking forward to doing. Also just because I have found great use of Gift of the Tao does not necessarily mean everyone will, everyone is different and everyone is in a different stage of the path, what is meant for one is not always meant for another. Whatever one is drawn towards and feels a calling from their heart is what one should pursue in life.

• Like 1

This did sound more honest than your other responses. Misinformed, but honest.

I knew exactly what you were going to say and here is the response I wrote last night.

For clarification I have this to say about the DVD.

These moves represent one of the basic differences in qigong and neigong. What most people don't realize is that the Gift of the Tao movements are neigong and not simple qigong. I actually have great fun watching people who look at the Gift of the Tao movements and say WTF? LOOKING is not SEEING.

These are totally non-linear energetic patterns as SEEN while in Stillness-Movement qi state, which is the reason why they are so powerful; actually among the most powerful movements available, which is attested to by those that do them.

From a martial artists standpoint of force vectors, moment arms, and for those that are taught the false impression that qigong body mechanics are the main thing needed/necessary for energetics, these moves make no sense whatsoever. This is why mjjbecker asks you how much you practiced. Because mjjbecker has practiced them and seen what they do. To LOOK at them means about zero point zilch. And an opinion received by LOOKING really has no basis; these moves are about the energy itself- NOT about body alignment or breath.

As far as the book goes it was written about 15 years ago when I had a little over 20 years of practice in. It is mostly about my experiences; a person either enjoys reading about them or not. This whether a person enjoys it or not is really not debatable - one of those personal choice things. Obviously a whole lot of people did enjoy it or I would have had a ton of used books to sell (and I never have). It is now sold out of the print edition and is going used for twice up to 10 times the amount it originally sold for (which I do NOT condone). BTW, the book ALWAYS had a 30 day money back guarantee.

One more comment about the book. The neigong system described there is the real thing, not the run of the mill qigong calisthenic exercises, but real lineage neigong direct from a true Master in China who was considered by his peers as one of the more powerful of his time and who was the head doctor of a well known Medical Qigong Hospital. He asked me to teach this system, both the internal neigong and the medical qigong. He said the energy from my Gift of the Tao movements was amazing, understood that they were a reflection of the Stillness-Movement, and encouraged me to develop more of them (which I have). The medical techniques shown and talked about in the book are impeccable and have been used in my clinic for a very long time. Also by my students and now their students. Our result rate approaches 100%; I specialize in eliminating pain syndromes but have clients with a number of different not-at-ease situations. I am sorry this info is not useful to you. But the book does have medical qigong in the title. I suggest that folks who say they don't find these amazing treatment methods useful never actually tried the methods because boy oh boy do they ever work for all of us that learned them. I also suggest that these methods alone are worth double the price of the book.

I may as well take this opportunity to thank any TTB'ers who purchased the book. It was written ONLY in the "qi state" as I refused to write unless I was. A follow up book is due this year.

Otis, it is entirely OK with me that you don't like the book. But if you understand what I wrote above then surely you see that no amount of looking at these practices can give anyone any idea whatsoever what they are about. You started with a false premise of "looking" is the same as SEEing and that qigong is based on body mechanics instead of energy. And to say "they (DVD of moves) are useless to you" gives a negative connotation that only has any merit at all if you actually practiced the moves for a period of time. It can't work any other way. Everyone who has actually practiced them has said they feel the energy tremendously. You also have a false premise about the events described in the book. Thinking that I am asking anyone to believe them. I don't ASK anyone to believe them. What I can tell you is that my students have come to find ALL this to be self-evident, with the same type of experiences. I wouldn't have believed me either until I practiced the methods.

I do not wish to have conflict with anyone much less with folks who are my peer's students. Or with students who just read books and think they understand. Although quite frankly I do know quite a few of the teachers would be appalled at some of the things said on this board.

Otis, my suggestion to you is to attempt to grow beyond the limitations of the physical, to grow beyond the limitations of body-mind, and to look at embracing the energetics itself without these limitations.

• Like 1

I have practiced the Gift of the Tao DVD and read Michael's book. Otis you mention you have "biases" and claim that you do not pretend to be above them... and that apparently Michael's physical appearance influenced your opinion on the actual practice... well I think that notion in itself speaks loads about your own personal development, or lack thereof. I must simply disagree with your opinion on Michael's movements. Immediately upon watching his movements, I was drastically impressed with the fluidity and grace that you claim is non-existent, I admired how clear and evident it was that his movements were pure energetic light, I could feel the energy exuding from his ability, his posture very strong and grounded. I have practiced many forms, and Gift of the Tao left me feeling radiant with energy and lucid consciousness, I instantly knew I found a precious gem.

"I honestly did not enjoy your works, or find them useful." and yet... "To answer your question, I did not practice what you teach." In my opinion, this invalidates your entire 'critique'. You refuse to even practice the material, this also speaks loads about your development/practice ethic... you don't even attempt practice yet criticize the work as useless? Wow.

"I doubt that you will benefit from my words. There is nothing constructive in them." True. I don't think anyone benefitted from your words, considering they are based on completely arbitrary biases that have nothing to do with the actual practice. For those interested in Michael's work, consider reading reviews of those who actually committed to the practice, rather than flagrantly and baselessly criticize a real, powerful practice.

Edited by fizix
  • Like 1

your reply was neither necessary nor helpful. he tried to be as honest as he knew how to be, and Mr. Lomax gave him a proper response.

he's not looking to make enemies, but i certainly applaud him for being straight-up in a hostile environment.

we should all feel capable of being honest without feeling shouted down, and not just jerks like me who don't mind a little scrap. he said his peace. Lomax answered. and he stated numerous times that he doesn't want to fight. let's just let that be that.

EDIT:

no big deal. we're good.

besides, i like your style! ;)

Edited by Hundun
  • Like 2

Surfing Buddha, Fizik, Ya Mu, your responses are very valid. I have made most of the same points in my above caveats.

I was writing purely about my point of view, with no attempt at describing "reality". I am not trying to change anyone's mind about Lomax, just sharing an opinion.

For those of you who are supporters of Lomax, I wish you well, and I hope you continue to derive much value from his teachings. And to Lomax: I don't know you, and I don't wish you any harm, especially if you are, indeed, legit. I will look elsewhere to find inspiration, but we each must find our own paths, no?

• Like 2

... especially if you are, indeed, legit.

You just HAD to throw that last little bit of negativity out there didn't you. Trying to throw out a question of whether I am legit or not. Pretty lame.

I wish TTB'ers could learn how to speak to each other without this type of negativity and passive aggressive behavior.

Wow -- where do I start and add a legit reply to the above critique of Michael Lomax's Book and DVD - The Gift of the Tao.

1st should probably be with some of my background and experience with "True Masters" that have taught me something that I have been able to utilize in my art and teaching. I have been involved in Martial Arts for 35 years and have had the pleasure of studying under some legends. In the mid 1980's I began studying Ryukyu Kempo from Professor George Dillman, Small Circle Jujitsu from Professor Wally Jay, and Modern Arnis from Professor Remy Presas (deceased). I have read numerous books on Martial Arts, Qigong, and studied one particular tape with demonstartion by Grand Master Seiyu Oyata (I have studied the movements on this tape for approx 24 years, in otherwords I continue to study the information in order to learn that what is being taught).

What I find incredibly amazing is that the lesson with one master began back at the 1st seminar in 1986 and my understanding has grown and grown with each year of experience that I have accumulated. For instance, Professor Jay utilized me as his "crash dummy" for a 2 day seminar. The benefit for me was that I knew how to apply each Jujitsu hold that he had demo'd on me -- my arms were glowing with pain for a couple of weeks -- but no bruises. How did he make it hurt so bad without causing any bruising? Well what he actually had given me was much more valuable then what I thought I had learned. I also bought his Tape/DVD and it was masterfully presented in a format that was easy to learn. The tape broke down 10 different joint locks and then walked a person through each hold -- great stuff (more about masterful DVD work later)and possible for an experienced practitioner to learn the info if they were willing to put in the time and effort.

The Masterful work By Grandmaster Oyata - had stuff on it that would blow anyones imagination. But, you couldn't figure it out by just watching the video. I have had to study with those that studied with him...have them explain the movements, see them in person, then watch the video again. My INTENT was to master the moves and be able to do them as did grandmaster Oyata. So, I have continued to emulate the movements as Grandmaster Oyata did and re-study the video with a true passion for learning. After 24 years of studying the info on the video I'm close, but, yet amazed at the new learnings I have when I re-watch a video that I have watched 1000+ times. I guess I am investing "Time and Effort" to be the best I can be.

I have studied Qigong with a few individuals that had been taught some from this person or that person. I had read numerous books on Qigong. This interest begin to expand as there were individuals in our Martial Groups that could project Qi and knock others down and/or totally out cold. As my interest grew, I decided I needed to study with someone that was a "True Master", talented, knew how to teach, plus offered the Medical Qigong that I wanted to learn.

I was very fortunate to have an acupuncturist ask me if I was going to attend an upcoming Seminar on Qigong that was practically being held in my back yard. I would sign-up. As you might guess that Teacher was Michael Lomax.

Now perhaps if I hadn't attended his seminar I might not have had as keen an interest in his book and DVD. But, as I read the book - I could hear Michael talking to me throughout the book. I could hear his Southern accent coming through and explaining things just enough to make me think --- this is how we truly learn. You need to think about it, digest it, live it, read it again. Michaels book is an amazing experience that yes you could question unless you start working the Stillness-Movement System. Then you start to realize all the GEMS that are in Michaels book. After reading a book once, I like to open it to whatever page I happen to and see how that page speaks to me. This book is perfect for that -- I generally open to a page, poem, or section that will help me in my daily life. I have been practicing with Michael now for 3 years and continue to learn new, valuable info everytime I attend a seminar and I have read the book about 6 times finding new gems all the time. If a person wants to realize the maximum benefit of Michaels book I would suggest they attend 1 seminar the read the book. Then practice Stillness-Movement for at least 100 days, then skim through the book again. I would bet at that point they will start to understand how useful the material really is. Plus, the Medical Qigong info IS WORTH THE PRICE OF THE BOOK, but only if you are practicing a genuine Qigong system that will create power within you so you can deliver the Medical Qigong Techniques. I have done Medical Qigong on hundreds of individuals -- most of them either doctors or those that work in a doctors office and my results are close to 100%. The techniques flat work! This always amazes me and those I'm working on.

On the otherhand I can see how a person can read a book and say they it holds nothing for them. Most people want to protect that which they have already learned. It's the old if I learned something different and had to start over then I have waisted my previous time. However, if you really want to learn -- then you'd actully take the time to properly evaluate what is being offered. Had I just read Professor Wally Jays book which outlined the 10 Jujitsu holds he demo'd on me, never attended a seminar, never looked at the tape/DVD then I might have stuck with the limited martial art and limited understanding I had of the techniques. But, the gift Professor Jay gave me was priceless -- best to have seen him in person, then the tape/dvd, then the book. So, get out of your comfort zone and try something else -- you might be surprised. I continue to be surprised as there are only higher levels, even higher than that...you can attain them if you put in the time and effort.

Next, The Gift of the Tao - DVD. I bought this after the 1st seminar I attended. i have to admit, I didn't study it right away. Heck, I knew tons of Kata's I figured I could learn the moves after 2 - 3 seminars. Then I rememberd how diligently I had studied Professor Jay's and Grandmaster Oyata's video. Time to watch and enhance my understanding. I would compare Michaels video to the Masterful method in which Professor Jay -- explained and broke his info down into learnable segments. Michael slowly will perform 3 moves at a time...and you can play these moves over and over until you get them (I came up with my own names for them). After having been to a couple of seminars and watching the video with the INTENT of learning I got them. My most interesting experience with the Gift of the Tao was at a Seminar --- I was doing the movements along with 10+ other students and then noticed that my hands and arms were on auto-pilot -- I wasn't moving them some other force had taken over. What the heck..then I noticed that Michael was doing the same move next to me and my arms were caught up in his energetic movements-- HE WAS MOVING MY ARMS FROM 5' AWAY. NO POWER YOU SAY! NOT A MASTER YOU SAY! I say you need to do a better job investigating before you throw out blanket statements on something you have no experience with.

I have studied with TOP Martial Arts Masters - Professor Jay (Bruce Lee's Jujitsu instructor) and I rate Michaels instruction, his book, His DVD as a Masters Material. Plus, I rate Michaels Qigong ability as worthy of the title Master...he has amazing power, the Gift of the Tao Neigong system transforms me into a calm energized state after 1 pass through the Gift, but, for me once is never enough. And the Stillness-Movement Meditation is priceless! I would bet that all of those that I have given medical treatment to (including the animals - dogs, ponies, horses) would also express their thought that this is one incredibly powerful system, not hard to do, and if you are looking for Martial type moves - snap etc, thats not what they are about. The moves are extremely graceful yet incredibly powerful.

My suggestion to understand Michaels book and DVD would be to attend a seminar, buy the book, DVD - heck if he has a 30 day money back guarantee what to you have to lose - except your pre-conceived notions. You will find that the info is that which was done by a "Master".

Kempomaster

• Like 3

This thread lit up my interest so I ordered the "Gift of the Tao" DVD and would have bought the Kindle version of the book but the Kindle reader application did not support OSX 10.4. so I either have to get a Kindle, a new Mac or the paperback. Let's see now..

I'm a student of Michael's and have been for some time. I've also trained under many teachers all over the world... Europe/Asia/North America. Masters such as Chan Sau Chung etc. I'm still a noob :) but I will say that Stillness movement is incredible. Because I have practiced and have many complete systems initially I was unsure if my strong reaction to the energy was because of the 'mix'. After more then a year I can say with confidence that Stillness movement builds immense energy and with dedicated practice you can fill the DT very quickly. Quicker then Mo Pai! lol... yes I can say that because I'm beyond level one MP :). Say no more! lol.

In reality if people read his book or see the DVD and don't like it then your loss. I have big respect/love for Micheal and his system.

• Like 1

You just HAD to throw that last little bit of negativity out there didn't you. Trying to throw out a question of whether I am legit or not. Pretty lame.

I wish TTB'ers could learn how to speak to each other without this type of negativity and passive aggressive behavior.

My apologies, Michael. I worded that poorly.

• Like 1

i certainly applaud him for being straight-up in a hostile environment.

We should all feel capable of being honest without feeling shouted down..

+1 Respectful and honest comments shouldn't be, its a shame they often are.

and not just jerks like me who don't mind a little scrap...

Thats some harsh self honesty there no? FWIW I don't think you're a jerk, but you do like a scrap :lol:

All the best,

I personally feel that things can all too easily fall into a spiral of 'the emperor and his new clothes'.

I want to say (and those that know me will hopefully know what I am saying and why), Otis you are NOT WRONG to see the things that you do. It is not because you are WRONG and everyone who posts positive things are RIGHT.

It is not a black and white thing. It comes down to personality, personality is the total sum of our past experiences filtered. Pattern recognition is a basic human function and functions in all things. This is why I mentioned BEING. Depending on BEING and shifts in BEING these will influence our perception, it is also why one thing will "resonate" with you or it won't.

Michael does not teach what most people call qigong. Yet due to the (intentional) ambiguous nature of the term, what he teaches is and can be called qigong. When I told Michael his lineage and system felt like shengong he replied by saying it was an apt term but to use it meant explaining it. He had already had years of explaining neigong (more commonly used thesedays) to the point of using qigong which was easier.

When Michael says 'higher level' qigong, he doesn't mean its because he thinks his qigong is better. It is much more simply a statement of the energies being worked with. Everyone often lumps these together but they are not always the same, and there is good reason Michael uses the english term 'light'.

Does it matter if you see worth in someone's work, no, it doesn't mean there is no worth. And just because others tell you there is won't help you see it, it is good that you can be honest with yourself as some will simply go on the words of others and still miss out on direct experience of their own which is more important. You have to follow your own heart. If you are meant to studing in depth then a teacher that can take you there will appear.

As for preconception and expectations, everyone has them, sometimes you can put them on the shelf other times not so easy. Just remember (and yes I know I'll look like a fanboy :mellow: ), Luke's reaction to finding a real Jedi in Yoda :lol:

All the best,

• Like 3

This thread lit up my interest so I ordered the "Gift of the Tao" DVD and would have bought the Kindle version of the book but the Kindle reader application did not support OSX 10.4. so I either have to get a Kindle, a new Mac or the paperback. Let's see now..

Terrible that they don't have the kindle software fixed to work with that. Do you happen to have an Android device (phone or e-reader)? The kindle app looks great on these. I have a nook color that I bought specifically to develop my new book on, and also for other android color devices. With the nook color I can embed web links to video's (hoping for a software to link internal video) and the pics look fantastic. The same file looks good on kindle too. I think, though, A Light Warrior's Guide has black and white images with a few color images added for the ebook. For reading, IMO the kindle is still tops. It is easy on the eyes and there are so may free ebooks (all the classics) as well as ability to instantly get most any book you want.

Ive studied with some of Bruce Frantziss senior students and other well regarded folk in the chi gung world. Michael explains in his book that the focus is not on form, rather it is on the energetics and that to me makes the practice very refreshing and actually easy to do. With other material I was often thinking of alignments, posture etc and trying to get it right, a big difference

In terms of energy movement and cultivation Ive found that Gift of the Tao works very well, just got to give it a good go. One effect is that the surrounding air soon thickens up with chi.

Best wishes

Andy

Edited by Andy_W
  • Like 1

Wow -- where do I start and add a legit reply to the above critique of Michael Lomax's Book and DVD - The Gift of the Tao.

1st should probably be with some of my background and experience with "True Masters" that have taught me something that I have been able to utilize in my art and teaching. I have been involved in Martial Arts for 35 years and have had the pleasure of studying under some legends. In the mid 1980's I began studying Ryukyu Kempo from Professor George Dillman, Small Circle Jujitsu from Professor Wally Jay, and Modern Arnis from Professor Remy Presas (deceased). I have read numerous books on Martial Arts, Qigong, and studied one particular tape with demonstartion by Grand Master Seiyu Oyata (I have studied the movements on this tape for approx 24 years, in otherwords I continue to study the information in order to learn that what is being taught).

What I find incredibly amazing is that the lesson with one master began back at the 1st seminar in 1986 and my understanding has grown and grown with each year of experience that I have accumulated. For instance, Professor Jay utilized me as his "crash dummy" for a 2 day seminar. The benefit for me was that I knew how to apply each Jujitsu hold that he had demo'd on me -- my arms were glowing with pain for a couple of weeks -- but no bruises. How did he make it hurt so bad without causing any bruising? Well what he actually had given me was much more valuable then what I thought I had learned. I also bought his Tape/DVD and it was masterfully presented in a format that was easy to learn. The tape broke down 10 different joint locks and then walked a person through each hold -- great stuff (more about masterful DVD work later)and possible for an experienced practitioner to learn the info if they were willing to put in the time and effort.

The Masterful work By Grandmaster Oyata - had stuff on it that would blow anyones imagination. But, you couldn't figure it out by just watching the video. I have had to study with those that studied with him...have them explain the movements, see them in person, then watch the video again. My INTENT was to master the moves and be able to do them as did grandmaster Oyata. So, I have continued to emulate the movements as Grandmaster Oyata did and re-study the video with a true passion for learning. After 24 years of studying the info on the video I'm close, but, yet amazed at the new learnings I have when I re-watch a video that I have watched 1000+ times. I guess I am investing "Time and Effort" to be the best I can be.

I have studied Qigong with a few individuals that had been taught some from this person or that person. I had read numerous books on Qigong. This interest begin to expand as there were individuals in our Martial Groups that could project Qi and knock others down and/or totally out cold. As my interest grew, I decided I needed to study with someone that was a "True Master", talented, knew how to teach, plus offered the Medical Qigong that I wanted to learn.

I was very fortunate to have an acupuncturist ask me if I was going to attend an upcoming Seminar on Qigong that was practically being held in my back yard. I would sign-up. As you might guess that Teacher was Michael Lomax.

Now perhaps if I hadn't attended his seminar I might not have had as keen an interest in his book and DVD. But, as I read the book - I could hear Michael talking to me throughout the book. I could hear his Southern accent coming through and explaining things just enough to make me think --- this is how we truly learn. You need to think about it, digest it, live it, read it again. Michaels book is an amazing experience that yes you could question unless you start working the Stillness-Movement System. Then you start to realize all the GEMS that are in Michaels book. After reading a book once, I like to open it to whatever page I happen to and see how that page speaks to me. This book is perfect for that -- I generally open to a page, poem, or section that will help me in my daily life. I have been practicing with Michael now for 3 years and continue to learn new, valuable info everytime I attend a seminar and I have read the book about 6 times finding new gems all the time. If a person wants to realize the maximum benefit of Michaels book I would suggest they attend 1 seminar the read the book. Then practice Stillness-Movement for at least 100 days, then skim through the book again. I would bet at that point they will start to understand how useful the material really is. Plus, the Medical Qigong info IS WORTH THE PRICE OF THE BOOK, but only if you are practicing a genuine Qigong system that will create power within you so you can deliver the Medical Qigong Techniques. I have done Medical Qigong on hundreds of individuals -- most of them either doctors or those that work in a doctors office and my results are close to 100%. The techniques flat work! This always amazes me and those I'm working on.

On the otherhand I can see how a person can read a book and say they it holds nothing for them. Most people want to protect that which they have already learned. It's the old if I learned something different and had to start over then I have waisted my previous time. However, if you really want to learn -- then you'd actully take the time to properly evaluate what is being offered. Had I just read Professor Wally Jays book which outlined the 10 Jujitsu holds he demo'd on me, never attended a seminar, never looked at the tape/DVD then I might have stuck with the limited martial art and limited understanding I had of the techniques. But, the gift Professor Jay gave me was priceless -- best to have seen him in person, then the tape/dvd, then the book. So, get out of your comfort zone and try something else -- you might be surprised. I continue to be surprised as there are only higher levels, even higher than that...you can attain them if you put in the time and effort.

Next, The Gift of the Tao - DVD. I bought this after the 1st seminar I attended. i have to admit, I didn't study it right away. Heck, I knew tons of Kata's I figured I could learn the moves after 2 - 3 seminars. Then I rememberd how diligently I had studied Professor Jay's and Grandmaster Oyata's video. Time to watch and enhance my understanding. I would compare Michaels video to the Masterful method in which Professor Jay -- explained and broke his info down into learnable segments. Michael slowly will perform 3 moves at a time...and you can play these moves over and over until you get them (I came up with my own names for them). After having been to a couple of seminars and watching the video with the INTENT of learning I got them. My most interesting experience with the Gift of the Tao was at a Seminar --- I was doing the movements along with 10+ other students and then noticed that my hands and arms were on auto-pilot -- I wasn't moving them some other force had taken over. What the heck..then I noticed that Michael was doing the same move next to me and my arms were caught up in his energetic movements-- HE WAS MOVING MY ARMS FROM 5' AWAY. NO POWER YOU SAY! NOT A MASTER YOU SAY! I say you need to do a better job investigating before you throw out blanket statements on something you have no experience with.

I have studied with TOP Martial Arts Masters - Professor Jay (Bruce Lee's Jujitsu instructor) and I rate Michaels instruction, his book, His DVD as a Masters Material. Plus, I rate Michaels Qigong ability as worthy of the title Master...he has amazing power, the Gift of the Tao Neigong system transforms me into a calm energized state after 1 pass through the Gift, but, for me once is never enough. And the Stillness-Movement Meditation is priceless! I would bet that all of those that I have given medical treatment to (including the animals - dogs, ponies, horses) would also express their thought that this is one incredibly powerful system, not hard to do, and if you are looking for Martial type moves - snap etc, thats not what they are about. The moves are extremely graceful yet incredibly powerful.

My suggestion to understand Michaels book and DVD would be to attend a seminar, buy the book, DVD - heck if he has a 30 day money back guarantee what to you have to lose - except your pre-conceived notions. You will find that the info is that which was done by a "Master".

Kempomaster

Thanks for your input Kempomaster.

I would like to point out to others that the results referred to by kempomaster are typical results of medical qigong practitioners trained in this system. We all have those type of results.

So for anyone who is a physician (MD, DO, Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Naturopathic, Homeopathic), therapist, or healer, or anyone who desires to be I encourage you to read up on medical qigong/clinical qigong/qigong healing and learn it. If you don't like my program there are several in the USA. I can even recommend at least one other if anyone PM's me. But I highly suggest looking into it. I know of nothing else in the medical field that gives these type of results. I firmly believe this is "Futures Medicine".

• Like 1