Sahaj Nath

SHAKING by Bradford Keeney

I read this guys autobiography years ago and loved it. I'm gonna order his stuff. Thanks Hundun. Occasionally I would remember things from his book but but i couldnt remember his name or what the book was called. I can't wait to hear the cd's.

Seth.

i could loan you the set if you like. just PM me.

be warned, though. his music tracks aren't great. 2 1/2 hours of music, and only 30 minutes of it is something i would actually shake to.

but other than that, he really helped to shake me out of some of my own unconscious dogmatism. i definitely feel a lot more free. i'm shaking every day for at least an hour (in 20- to 30-minute sessions), and my energy flow is both stronger and cleaner. it's taking the place of a number of my forms. my K is a lot more active as well.

i don't have any of his books. i may check out his autobiography. ;)

this might be a dumb question, but do you need the music to shake? I got my cds but I don't know when I'm going to check them out. I always seem to pause with Keeney's stuff! :lol:

this might be a dumb question, but do you need the music to shake? I got my cds but I don't know when I'm going to check them out. I always seem to pause with Keeney's stuff! :lol:

you don't need HIS music, but i think shaking is best done with some high-energy music playing. i think his music kind of sucks, but i have some capoeira tracks that rock, as well as Afro-Celt Sound System.

Hundun,

Thanks for the tip!! I'll go with his music as far as I can and then take the vibe to something more groovy.

Your pal,

Yoda

Thanks Hundun, but I'm in Australia so it's not worth the Postage hassle when I'm happy to just buy it. I like to own things I'm interested in and always worry that something will happen to things of others while there in my care.

Seth.

Hey what's up Hunlun? That shaking session was C R A Z Y !! Lookin forward to our next session.

thanks, bro! :lol:

the power of that session was a lot more than just the shaking part, but yeah it's always pretty cool to practice with someone for the first time. especially someone with your natural openness.

i swear it's a killer combo of exercises! i don't know anything that works faster and is still safe. next week's gonna kick ass! ;)

I'm trying to hold back the tears. I'm in full-lotus listening to Rokia Traore, her 1997 c.d. not sure the name but it's VERY beautiful kora music from Mali. It's in French -- o.k. I found it: Mouneissa.

Anyway last night I had my best all-night listening experience with this amazing new C.D. of Bushmen trance healing music I got -- http://www.amazon.com/Namibia-Juhoansi-Bus...s/dp/B000003IG5 This is a REALLY excellent trance music c.d. made by real trance healers.

So I sit in full-lotus to it for a couple hours and think well maybe this will be good for my dreams. Instead I dream that I'm underground or something and the Bushmen healers are pulling me straight out of my R.E.M. state -- I wake up and it's the most intense song on the C.D. -- the actual trance healing where the man is shrieking and the pitch keeps getting higher... So the Bushmen c.d. which was on very low volume pulled me out of deep r.e.m. sleep -- the hardest to wake up from. It's powerful trance music.

The first song on the C.D. is by the young males who, as the liner notes explain, are taking a break from the isolated first training to become healers. It's just like the Taoist training -- away from the females, the males learn how to overcome fear, pain, hunger, tiredness, thirst. The singing on the c.d. is mainly from the very beautiful female singers -- doing antiphonal background to inspire the man for the trance dance healing.

I read one review of Bradford Keeney's work that it must not be as real as the Bushmen healers that he promotes. Well the process is the same so that's what counts.

This is another excellent trance dance c.d. as well --

http://www.amazon.com/Kenya-Tanzania-Witch...c/dp/B000005IWH

With the liner notes describing the initiation ritual when the females are eaten by the drummers in secret -- this stuff is pretty much banned in Africa today due to the missionaries.

Drew,

Thanks for the recommendation!

Your pal,

Yoda

thanks drew its inspiring, I have started with vocal to my "dancing", this is nice and including.

it aint so bad to dance to knut reiersruds music either.

Edited by rain

Has anyone read Bradford Keeney's new book, "Shamanic Christianity"? I'm quite curious since he describes in his other books how he has a spontaneous samadhi vision after a prolonged music-charismatic upbringing. Most people still rely on Christianity subconsciously when they enter into shamanic practice and therefore just repeat the same ritual-conceptual gimmicks....

Yeah I've been listening to "ECHOES OF THE FOREST" all night -- it's an amazing Pygmy c.d. and it's very similar but not quite as intense as NAMBIA: MUSIC OF THE JU'HUANSI BUSHMEN or close to that spelling. So I had to special order both of these and the later is the real thing -- intense trance dance music that was the original shamanism from 10,000 BCE to 80,000 BCE and older.

I just finished the book NORTH TO THE NIGHT: A YEAR IN THE ARTIC ICE by Alvah Simon (1999). He has spent his life living with indigenous cultures and this book is the climax of that training. He has a precognitive dream about this artic fox and then he actually stands right up to a huge polar bear that amazingly spares his life. The book is full of near encounters with death -- all true and his love for life is really powerful. He lived alone on a boat in the Artic and almost went insane but pulled through somehow. As he reports the Inuit have this "Drum Song" that was banned by the Danes but the Inuit still practice dream songs, just like the aborigines, literally resonating with the consciousness of reality that creates life in Nature.

Edited by drew hempel

So I just read Keeney's how-to instructions on how to shake: sit down and start to move slowly and rhythmically for 5-10 minutes at a time. As one gets used to this just start exploring new motions and perhaps add drumming music to up the energy level of the motions to ultimately get to intense shaking, quivering, etc.

I'd imagine that watching his Bushmen vid on shakingmedicine.com might help set the mood.

it really shook some things up for me. i still haven't fully touched ground yet. and i came so close to shutting myself off from it.

Hundun, this is interesting. I have enjoyed reading your writing, even if I have no intention of buying any CD sets at this time. I like how you have expressed yourself. I don't know if you realize it or not, but your words are also medicine, and not just the "crazy" guy you've listened to on the CD.

It's also possible to do this if you're in touch with your core level inner fear on a daily basis! - then you can tap right into that energy of trembling and use that.

Interesting what Reich said about shaking - it's actually the same principle as fever, the thermotic principle. Both shaking and fever are attempts of the life force to break through the rigidity of armoring. When you're just stuck in fear, then you're paralyzed, but as the radial energy of the life force is breaking through the armoring, you tremble, so the trembling in fear is actually part of the letting go.

Karen,

Thanks for adding that about Reich. Let me know if there are any good websites on Reich and shaking.

Your pal,

Yoda

Hey Yoda, I wish I knew. Most of what I've learned about Reich is from secondary sources, mainly my own teacher. I've read some of Reich's books, but my teacher has a way of shedding light on things that I wouldn't have been able to pick up directly, because much of the insight is kind of between the lines and from connecting dots that I wouldn't have known to connect.

That's the problem with these geniuses - they write in a way that doesn't hand you the info on a platter - you have to do the creative thinking to tease it out! I'll see what I can come up with.

Just read the shaking medicine book. Thanks for the recommendation, Freeform.

Life-changing. Dunno exactly how yet, except that stuff was coming up my legs as I read, and my head was trying to twist itself off even more than usual.

But yes. Profound, important.

To me, at least.

Dear Yoda,

Anywhere NEAR the Coconino National Forest is a powerful place!

The San Francisco Peaks are the most powerful place that I've ever been to, with the exception of Northern New Mexico.

Anywhere near Taos or that part of New Mexico (where I used to live) is like "Go for throttle up!", the vibes are very, very powerful!

Amazing!!!!

Peace, gossamer

Hundun,

thanks for the review!! I'm glad you are scouting Keeney's work for us. I only listened to 30 seconds of the CD that came with the book and had a similar "not my vibe" reaction. I'll have to give it another go.

I heard an absolutely rave review of Keeney's work on the kunlun forum the other day, so that definitely got my attention.

I've been hoping for an alternative system to Kunlun to give the bums another flavor that might be more appropriate.

On the shakingmedicine.com site, go to the home study course and scroll down to the 3 minute audio recording to get a flavor of Keeney.

Yoda

Gossamer,

Thanks for the note! I haven't fully explored AZ or NM, but I agree... they do have groovy vibes! We'll have to do a taobum camping trip around there someday!

Your pal,

Yoda

Just read the shaking medicine book. Thanks for the recommendation, Freeform.

Life-changing. Dunno exactly how yet, except that stuff was coming up my legs as I read, and my head was trying to twist itself off even more than usual.

But yes. Profound, important.

To me, at least.

Oh - I'm so glad you liked it!!

It was a really important book for me too. It helped ease my doubting mind. I certainly felt 'recognition' and my body would also erupt into spontaneous shaking.

I'm planning to treat myself to the CD set, Ian - would be happy to share it with you, if you like.

By the way - check out his website - some fantastic videos of the Bushmen, St Vincent guys - even an 80 minute 'n/om talk' by Keeney himself.

Oh - I'm so glad you liked it!!

It was a really important book for me too. It helped ease my doubting mind. I certainly felt 'recognition' and my body would also erupt into spontaneous shaking.

I'm planning to treat myself to the CD set, Ian - would be happy to share it with you, if you like.

By the way - check out his website - some fantastic videos of the Bushmen, St Vincent guys - even an 80 minute 'n/om talk' by Keeney himself.

His website seems down at the moment (9th dec). I've been trying to look-see if he comes to Europe. Must say I rather fancy the idea of him putting one hand each side of my heart and letting rip.

Are you aware of several comments by people who preferred the short book cd to the longer set? If you're gonna go ahead anyway, then naturally I'd love to check it out.

heya to all you shakers!

jan fries, a modern freestyle-shaman/magican, wrote a very interesting book in 1995 about shaking practices:

"seidways. shaking, swaying and serpent mysteries". in this book fries gives a lot of background information about the use of shaking practices to reach altered states of consciousness. he describes how the san people in the kalahari use it, how the phenomenon occured when mesmer cured people, how the shamans in northern europe used it, the strange exercises of the northern american shakers and so on. he gives a lot of practical information on the topic, too: how to prepare yourself for the shaking (warming up exercises), the different forms of shaking and how you can use them and - not to forget - the earthing after the shaking experience.

fries gives a lot of useful information about shaking and some very interesting examples for the use of this technique for shamanic/magical activities like invocation, obsession by gods, spirits, fylgia, the holy guardian angel and even for travels along the timelines to other lifetimes and so on... it`s an incredible book!

keep on shaking!

Cool!

Finally ordered book_bushman_shaman.jpgBushman Shaman: Awakening the Spirit through Ecstatic Dance

Yesterday! I think it finally sunk in after seeing Shakitmama recommend it enough