alfa

I experienced Sleep Paralysis

Hi All, :)

As in zen, I try to be aware at all times, so I thought I could be aware during sleep, and perhaps experience lucid dreaming. So last night, I tried to be passively aware, not really forcing myself to focus, but simply aware of everything effortlessly. Doing this, I didn't fall asleep but remained awake.

Suddenly, my eyes closed on their own, my body became numb, it's like I was withdrawing into myself, I can't really put it into words. It was a shocking experience, felt like I was entering another dimension. But I became so scared, I shook my body and returned to normalcy. :(

Can experienced people here tell me what this is, why it happened, and what I must do reg. this? Am I on the right track (as far as lucid dreaming is concerned), is this experience evidence of that? I really wish someone could explain this, I tried reading stuff on your site, but the info. is overwhelming and my queries too specific. So I hope someone can provide some insight into this.

Alfa

Before you go to sleep, you can mindfully and sincerly recite 'Namo Guan Shr Yin Pusa'.

In terms of attempting lucid dreaming, it's best not to unless you have the at least guidance and the OK from an accomplished and virtuous master.

Edited by mat black

As in zen, I try to be aware at all times, so I thought I could be aware during sleep, and perhaps experience lucid dreaming. So last night, I tried to be passively aware, not really forcing myself to focus, but simply aware of everything effortlessly. Doing this, I didn't fall asleep but remained awake.

Suddenly, my eyes closed on their own, my body became numb, it's like I was withdrawing into myself, I can't really put it into words. It was a shocking experience, felt like I was entering another dimension. But I became so scared, I shook my body and returned to normalcy. :(

Can experienced people here tell me what this is, why it happened, and what I must do reg. this? Am I on the right track (as far as lucid dreaming is concerned), is this experience evidence of that? I really wish someone could explain this, I tried reading stuff on your site, but the info. is overwhelming and my queries too specific. So I hope someone can provide some insight into this.

Alfa

When I started learning meditation i usually did it lying down before going to sleep. I had the same experience that you explained. I got so afraid I jumped out of bed and ran out to the living room to watch tv and pretend everything was normal.

But its nothing to be afraid of. Just keep being aware and awake during the experience, dont force anything or wish it back, just be lucid, and after a while you get used to it. And when you are used to it, it is nothing like you thought it was at first. To me, now, those kind of experiences are just the entrance to meditation. Like crossing a doorstep. I hardly pay attention to it anymore.

LOL its ok my friend--what you went through is the first stage of an out of body exp. If you can let go of the fear you will be able to leave your body and travel in the astral plane and learn and see many things. You will be able to go to any part of this planet and see what up. One thing when you first get out look at your hands and repeat the words be aware be aware or awarness over and over as you look around and you will be able to see more clearly. I have done this on many occasions. It took me a short while to get over the fear and the incredible feeling and sounds you may hear--but hold strong and you will be very happy you did. it was a great accomplishment for me to be able to do this at will. but its been a while so thanks for reminding me to practice this again. it is a skill like any other and practice is needed. PM me for any more help or tips

Peace

Jedi777

Hit the library or book store. Check out some of Robert Bruce's books on Energy Works and Out of Body Travel. Better yet start on the internet, he has a nice mp3 for downloading somewhere. He has some good programs and explanations for sleep paralysis.

Instead of a phenomenon to be feared sleep paralysis offers a door way, or so they say :)

Michael

Alfa

Hey alfa,

This sounds very similar to an experience I had practising yoga nidra, which makes sense because it is meant to induce conscious sleep. I felt as if my body had died and I was totally insubstantial for a few seconds, then I suddenly became terrified that all the blood had stopped flowing to my limbs so I shook myself and got up. To my surprise I was actually really warm.

Som yogis say this is a an experience of "little death". Its meant to be four times as rejuvinative as sleep or so they say...Some practitioners of raja yoga recommend it instead of typical meditation too. It can be used to develop visualisation ability and also to heal the body.

I learnt this technique from a book and recorded a track of myself reading the exercise and listened to it in bed, it only took three or four sessions to reach that state so if your looking to regain that experience you might want to try it out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Nidra-Swami-S...2950&sr=8-1

There are recordings available too but on torrenting a few i really would recommend the book instead.

emily

I heard a technique for getting out of sleep paralysis but I forget what it was. Like trying to wiggle one of one's fingers. I forget which one, though.

I had a few similar experiences and posted them on here before.

It was pretty frightening. Like I almost died. Shut everything else off and the light was about to go out. I got too scared to practice anymore in case I did actually die.

Plus people on here recommended that I get a teacher. Apparently whats on the other side of that is not always friendly. So guidance is needed.

I think with these sorts of things you can go too far and end up losing your mind or even worse dead.

So I don't want practice that anymore.

I heard a technique for getting out of sleep paralysis but I forget what it was. Like trying to wiggle one of one's fingers. I forget which one, though.

I start doing a loud snoring sound when I realize that I am in sleep paralysis. That usually works for me to wake up. I have never ejoyed the experience at all, even when experiencing it for a prolonged time. I've always felt in a sort of twilight world and not beeing able to defend myself.

What has worked for me however and I used to enjoy a lot is going to bed with a conscious decision to not waste energy on random and chaotic dreams. Sleep became very refreshing and instead of having dreams, i seemed to be counscious yet deeply asleep. Kind of beeing at a different place in which I actually could be productive while thoughts cease and giving my physical mid and body rest. Something that normal sleep does often not provide me sufficiantly.

Edited by freesun

I had a few similar experiences and posted them on here before.

It was pretty frightening. Like I almost died. Shut everything else off and the light was about to go out. I got too scared to practice anymore in case I did actually die.

Plus people on here recommended that I get a teacher. Apparently whats on the other side of that is not always friendly. So guidance is needed.

I think with these sorts of things you can go too far and end up losing your mind or even worse dead.

So I don't want practice that anymore.

Im not shure how your experience was(maby you can post a link to it?), but usually it is not dangerous at all.

Some people, like myself, get afraid that I might loose my body and never come back if I go too far from my body. Or that the sivercord gets cut. Things like that. There is a lot we can imagine to be afraid of. Well, after a while my experience told me otherwise. Its not dangerous to have experiences. Its not dangerous to have breakthroughs either.

My first experience like that was that I couldnt move my body. My first reaction was just interest. I tried all I could but my arm wouldnt move. I was in a complete different state. I even opened my eyes but still couldnt move my arm. But when I realized this I got so afraid I jumped ut of bed and ran out of the room to watch some tv. The tv made me feel safe, hahaha. It was a complete dooropener for me. Since then Ive been dedicated to meditation and the study of consciousness.

As for all the dagerous stuff thats on "the other side", there can be dagerous stuff there, yes, but the same dangerous stuff is "here". So if you are noe afraid here and now, there is nothing to be afraid of "over there either".

But...reckless experimenting with OBE, careless and ruthless and overdoing it, that can be dangerous.

Normal OBE-like experiences that comes from meditation, lucid dreaming and just practicing awareness in every moment and every state of mind is NOT dangerous :)

Anyways, its allways a good advice to have a teacher ;)

It's a natural experience from practice that cultivates Yi or mind/awareness. Please don't get distracted w/ the blossoms, while taking care of the tree, you'll have fruit when the time is ripe. Continue to let go of assumptions, even the feelings of gravity, spindriftinto dreams, create, injoy, problem solve, dance and sing. Love.

Dave

Checked my NJ notes for that Yoda and what I wrote down was "wave little finger to cure paralysis".

Thanks everyone for the good advice. :)

So do I conclude that I must simply go ahead with the practice of mindfulness, and not do anything else? The reason I am asking is, sometimes it gets boring and experiences like OBE may help me keep motivated. I know we must put experiences aside as distractions, but at least they act as a motivating force. The practice of awareness does get monotonous at times, so experiences of this sort may inspire me to keep going.

This is the intent behind my question.

Alfa

So do I conclude that I must simply go ahead with the practice of mindfulness, and not do anything else? The reason I am asking is, sometimes it gets boring and experiences like OBE may help me keep motivated. I know we must put experiences aside as distractions, but at least they act as a motivating force. The practice of awareness does get monotonous at times, so experiences of this sort may inspire me to keep going.

This is the intent behind my question.

Alfa

I'm not "knowledgeable"on these things per se and just do some basic energy work and breathing meditation but my opinion is that there are plenty of potentially less mindfucking things than out of body experiences to do to keep motivation!!

im quite content with the subtle feeling and seeing of energy right now. and theres things like tai chi, qigong or yoga that aid mindfulness and are motivating but are generally safe when practised with a teacher or some sort of beginners learning instruction kit.

i modified the yoga nidra practise to not go so deeply because although part of me lusts after the unknown experiences that we read about, i think its is more important build a solid base first.

a question i had to ask myself recently about many areas of life was not only what do to but why. that should fix the what too.

emily

The reason i originaly cautioned against OBE's & lucid dreamingis that they do have potential dangers.

Alfa

The perceived monotony of awareness practice might be the conditioned mind simply seeking further and habitual stimulus. The body breathes & if you observe as to where this originates - amazing.

Mindfulness is more than enough. :)

You have nothing to worry about. Sleep paralysis isn't dangerous and lucid dreaming is pretty easy to learn. No teacher is needed, just keep desiring it and keep a dream diary and it will come naturally after a while.

An odd observation though: it seems like male lucid dreamers can't have orgasms in the dreams, while I have heard that female dreamers can. I wonder why. Seems unfair to me. ;)

The reason i originaly cautioned against OBE's & lucid dreamingis that they do have potential dangers.

The perceived monotony of awareness practice might be the conditioned mind simply seeking further and habitual stimulus. The body breathes & if you observe as to where this originates - amazing.

Mindfulness is more than enough. :)

Can you explain this a bit further? If I watch my breath, nothing seems to happen. It's just inhalation and exhalation, so am not sure what you mean by 'origin.'

I've had this problem for years and only recently looked for information on it. Can't say that I found to much medical advice on it but perhaps I didn't search enough. Most of the stuff on the internet speaks about out of body experiences.

It wouldn't be so bad but usually the experience is accomanied by a dream that I can only describe as being such horrible nightmare that my wife has to wake me up by shaking me. Sometimes it's really bad and I wake up screaming. One time she grabbed my hand and in this state I percieved it as something trying to grab me in my dream and I almost injured her. I wouldn't wish it on anybody really.

There is a standing practice / meditation that I learned in yiquan that is known for causing effects on one's sleep but in essence what it does is affect the subconscious causing one to practice fa jin and the likes while one is sleeping but the sleep paralysis is completely different.

If anyone has been able to rid themselves of this I'd love to hear about what you did.

Thanks

small John.

Can you explain this a bit further? If I watch my breath, nothing seems to happen. It's just inhalation and exhalation, so am not sure what you mean by 'origin.'

Nothing happens only because the mind is too active wih its illusion to see what really happens. Just continue to breathe slow and natural, be silent and aware. A whole new reality is there, in the silence. You cant get there with visualization, will or hardly even intention. Only silence. Its about wu wei, to act with out acting. You get there only when you dont try to get there.

But once youre there, it is everything else but boring ;)

If anyone has been able to rid themselves of this I'd love to hear about what you did.

There seem to be a number of factors that are beneficial for sleep paralysis to happen. One is beeing over-tired. Another is messed up Melantonin levels. Both can be related. I don't know what your situation is, but getting regular sleep has helped me a lot. Also, when I experience sleep paralysis (and I usually can tell when it's about to happen by the way I feel right before falling alsleep), I turn on the lights (dimming them though) and for some reason that prevents the sleep paralysis from setting in and I can get a decent sleep.

Edited by freesun

Watching the body breath is truly amazing.

Here's an idea. Take no control at all, let the breath do as it will. Loose any presumptions, that the breath must be long, slow, deep, and thin.. these will naturally arise. First your breath may become shallower. Shallower and shallower, until it stops. Then a new breath emerges. Like being in the womb again.

Wuwei, non-action, will take you all the way if you let it. No forcing. No thought. Just observe what happens naturally.

That's one way to do things anyway.

Watching the body breath is truly amazing.

Here's an idea. Take no control at all, let the breath do as it will. Loose any presumptions, that the breath must be long, slow, deep, and thin.. these will naturally arise. First your breath may become shallower. Shallower and shallower, until it stops. Then a new breath emerges. Like being in the womb again.

Wuwei, non-action, will take you all the way if you let it. No forcing. No thought. Just observe what happens naturally.

That's one way to do things anyway.

This is the problem I am having-watching the breath. Whenever I try to watch, I am force myself to breathe. It seems impossible to let the breath just go in and out naturally, I find myself forcing to breathe every time I become aware of my breath. That's why I stopped this practice altogether, it became impossible to simply watch without trying to control it.

i've had sleep paralysis consecutively, the most was i think 3 nights in a row and i was scared to go to bed

i don't care if you can astral travel - it's not something i'd like to experience ever again; trust me, when your eyes are open and you're watching your grandmothers room vibrate you learn to appreciate "normality."

needless to say last time it happened to me i refused to sleep until i passed out from exhaustion

best way to get out of it is to close your eyes again and then open them again and try to get up

I've had terrifying sleep paralysis, with swirling voices whispering around my head.

Most of them were when I was around my teenage years. However, I had one the other day after meditation where I felt my cat press next to my body...yet he was not in the room with me. That seems to be common when I have them, feeling or seeing presences that aren't there. I was a little freaked out, but I've become more familiar with that state so it doesn't scare me as much.

BTW, if there are vibrations where you think you might separate from your body, the log-roll out works well :)

Satyalok