silent thunder

Dao Bums (here i am)

6 hours ago, Jenn said:

It's definitely not new - as long as I've been alive (at least in Canada).

The real question is why do you over the pond'ers call bangs a "fringe"? 😋

Because a fringe exists on many things  like a suede coat or fancy desert boots or a bedspread ... we KNOW what a fringe is .

But a bang is a noise a gun makes .   hence the preferred American term   ;) 

• Haha 5

They do love their guns...I still have a bullet hole in one of my windows from one of my neighbors. It turns out our home insurance doesn't cover 'living near idiots.' Still don't know who it was, though.

Edited by Unota
  • Like 1
  • Wow 5

the worst you might get here is a rock through the window , while mowing the lawn .  Happened to the cabin , I fixed it a few weeks back , it only took me 35 years to get around to it .

here I am  ... now ..... its gonna be hot today . 

here I will be ...  later ;

image.png.6f3a6ed557ec3611f95e16e98e29e7df.png

'Hungry Head ' lagoon and beach .  I set a little camp up  (out of shot to the right)  where there are some shady trees and a grass patch right on the edge of the lagoon , if you  want a swim in the surf  and its flowing out fast with the tide , just jump and it will take you there  . .

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mark Foote said:

This place is goin' to the dogs...

A cat started it!

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, thelerner said:

Chicagoans have always been partial to Capone's advice- You can get more done with a smile and kind word than with a gun.. but it's best to use both.   

Yes, there's a time for that too.   As Ecclesiastes almost pointed out, there's a time to scatter stones and a time to scatter bullets.   

BTW, you being a much nicer person than Capone (despite both of you hailing from Chicago), you remembered his advice in your own nicer way.  What he really said was this:

download.jpg.ab118c2a23a96b8ec8378f337b5969f2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unota said:

They do love their guns...I still have a bullet hole in one of my windows from one of my neighbors. It turns out our home insurance doesn't cover 'living near idiots.' Still don't know who it was, though.

No, “they” don’t all love their guns. I hate guns. Guns are a cancer of society. Before anyone @‘s me, I am a former US Army Infantry Sergeant, and an expert marksmen, and have used all kinds of weapons. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Unota said:

I think some ballistics expert could determine which neighbor.  I wonder it it was possible to persuade the cops to investigate.

image?id=932307816679&t=3&plc=API&viewToken=tAVvSedwCfq6dUAhb0rwGw&tkn=*7sJ1RGsrzeol8sC2Mmryoxpvemk

This is the picture a friend from long ago sent me via Classmates site with the New Year's greetings last year.  January 1st, around 4 a.m.,  a fragment of an artillery shell did this to her window, flying across the living-room and getting stuck in the opposite wall just above the sofa.  The whole family were sitting on that sofa half an hour earlier -- New Year's long night celebration -- and mercifully went to bed before it happened.  I know that building.  It used to be our office building (extremely thick-walled and imposing and sturdy, "they don't build like that anymore" kind), but later (after the fall of the Soviet Union) it was sold to some developers and turned into a luxury apartments building.  The view from this window is very familiar -- I used to look out in that direction when it was still an office building.  

This used to be a place no one could imagine ever being smack in the middle of a war.  At the time, anyone who would envision the possibility of it happening in some phantasmagoric future would have been referred to a mental institution. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 4

20 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

I think some ballistics expert could determine which neighbor.  I wonder it it was possible to persuade the cops to investigate.

image?id=932307816679&t=3&plc=API&viewToken=tAVvSedwCfq6dUAhb0rwGw&tkn=*7sJ1RGsrzeol8sC2Mmryoxpvemk

This is the picture a friend from long ago sent me via Classmates site with the New Year's greetings last year.  January 1st, around 4 a.m.,  a fragment of an artillery shell did this to her window, flying across the living-room and getting stuck in the opposite wall just above the sofa.  The whole family were sitting on that sofa half an hour earlier -- New Year's long night celebration -- and mercifully went to bed before it happened.  I know that building.  It used to be our office building (extremely thick-walled and imposing and sturdy, "they don't build like that anymore" kind), but later (after the fall of the Soviet Union) it was sold to some developers and turned into a luxury apartments building.  The view from this window is very familiar -- I used to look out in that direction when it was still an office building.  

This used to be a place no one could imagine ever being smack in the middle of a war.  At the time, anyone who would envision the possibility of it happening in some phantasmagoric future would have been referred to a mental institution. 

Woah!! That is crazy.

We did have the sheriffs come and investigate, but they were very dismissive. They did a drive around to see if anyone was outside, but they couldn't find anyone, and told us there was nothing they could do about it outside of that.

But, forget that. I want to hear more

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Taomeow said:

We are definitely "more or less in some kind of stress" -- most people are -- financial, health-related, gender/race/nationality/religion/age etc. related, political, environmental, natural and unnatural disasters, crime, family, employment/unemployment, housing, business, war and rumors of war, and so on.  I try to have an assortment of coping strategies, tools and skills more or less ready for a variety of eventualities.  People who don't feel any stress from any sources are either invincible, very lucky, very ignorant, delusional, or comfortably numb.  I'm none of the above.       

Anyone unaffected by the current state of manifestation on this plane... i suspect they are socio=pathic.

To quote a wise man... It is no good thing to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

You both inspire me and humble me in your approach to life and your beadth and depth of connection and experience.

So grateful for you sharings and the amount of energy and time you offer here.

<deep bow>

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

when i walk into my wife's arms...

image.thumb.png.7aeb492fad73ddfaaf57768db36e7225.png

Just beautiful ST

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

All of us together in an alternate universe.

peak.jpeg

Hope that thing on the top of the mount is a fridge full of beer cans...

And they better be daoist beers...

Edited by oak
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

peak.jpeg

I note I am just out of frame to the left   .... I will add it on here ;

image.png.288dc3b2c09dc19e30fc07f419f0dd58.png                 peak.jpeg

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, oak said:

Hope that thing on the top of the mount is a fridge full of beer cans...

... and none of that  Fake Master beer

image.png.5cd6134fcc86b730547f12afbb96e40e.png

Posted (edited)

My mate had  to change his name before he could claim to be a Master ... it used to be  John  Bate .

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nungali said:

My mate had  to change his name before he could claim to be a Master ... it used to be  John  Bate .

that name reminded of Bubba Free John who pulled off a personality cult in the 70's and 80's...

"Bubba’s downfall

In April 1985, the San Francisco Chronicle ran a series of articles describing Bubba as the leader of a coercive cult. 

One month later, the Today Show aired its own exposé (transcript here).

The accusations were the same that we’ve seen them leveled at so many gurus since then: sex with disciples. Drug abuse. Physical abuse. Rampant narcissism. Entrapment of people who tried to leave his community, and more. 

How do we make sense of all this? Lane offers one possibility:

…it may well be that much of Da’s deep psychological insight into the human condition didn’t stem from his self-proclaimed “enlightenment” but from observing day to day his own neurotic behavior and his own self-centered interactions with those closest to him.

Eventually I accepted the credibility of the charges against Bubba. My illusion turned into disillusionment — and then into a healing insight that I retain to this day: Never confuse the messenger with the message".

or a false messenger can sometimes use a true message for corrupt personal advantage...  and there is also the possibility that a true message (with inherent power) could turn the tables on a false messenger trying to take advantage of it..

Edited by old3bob

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

peak.jpeg

Note FYI: "According to Hindu legends, Shiva, the god of devastation and rebirth, resides at the pinnacle of this famous mountain named Kailasa. Mount Kailasa is considered in many sects of Hinduism as heaven, the ultimate destination of souls and the holy center of the world".

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, oak said:

240302-lao-TZU-drinks-2-.jpg

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Foote said:

240302-lao-TZU-drinks-2-.jpg

Please fill my gratitude cup with some of that 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

please other people post so I don't feel like as much of an attention whore lol 

IMG20240315204107~2.jpg

• Like 3