S:C

What is your favorite (daoist?) breakfast?

For a long time I went for oats (either made warm with milk or water) and some fruits. Can't do that everyday, it is so sticky.
Don't like bread with cheese, marmelade etc. Ended up with some amaranth, buckweath and millet heated with water and rasperrys/or apples, that's okay.

But I am still curious: what are your favorite breakfast dishes?

Warm or cold?

Did you consciously choose the contents or is it more a habitual (sweet tooth) thing?

Did you import some recipies from asian countries?

Do you preprep the night before or fresh in the morning.

Thanks (I really need inspiration here...)

Edited by stellarwindbubble

Over time (if you practice well and have a healthy functioning Spleen/Earth Force) you'll end up eating only brunch as your daily meal. Around 10am or so.

Before that try having breakfast as your strongest meal of the day where basically you only eat wholesome food. I used to eat ramen (with either braised pork belly or pan-fried + roasted skin-on chicken breast) and various traditional soup recipes but only in the colder months of the year. Ramen only up to mid-spring. Also Afghan and Pakistani curries with either lamb or beef but strictly in winter as you need that energy boost if you eat only 1or 2 meals per day. 

For lunch (before midday) it was only something very light like miso soup & some crepes or a sandwich made with toasted bread slices.

Once you eat brunch only if that's the case, switch to your main meal of the day and you eat anything you like making sure is healthy and nutritious.

Once a week I prepare Japanese dishes like okonomiyaki (you need a lot of practice to prepare this one as it's not easy to cook without a teppan/iron griddle), omurice, katsu chicken, hambagu, yakimeshi (fried rice), Japanese curry and stir-fry dishes like yaki udon. 

Meat can be easily omitted in Asian cuisine which makes it very versatile. Replace it with tofu or any of the wide range of Asian mushroom varieties. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Thanks 1

I'm in a porridge phase at the moment. Andrew Sterman has a good article on the subject. Ive also had chicken and broccolli (pre cooked) with a scatter of beansprouts and soy sauce if I'm off carbs for a bit.

• Like 1

Many recipes here:

Chinese congee (porridge):

https://www.foodandwine.com/soup/porridge/9-recipes-congee-cozy-porridge-you-can-eat-any-time-day

https://www.brit.co/living/healthy-eating/how-to-make-congee-dinner-recipes/

Japanese

https://www.justonecookbook.com/recipe-index/

Winter warmers 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/winter-stews-and-casseroles-4157675

*https://cerijoneschef.com/welsh-cawl/

*Feel free to replace lamb with chickpeas & spicy tofu (see note) if you don't eat meat.

The Welsh cawl is a bomb! It will awaken the dead. :)

Note: here's how to make spicy tofu cubes.

https://www.tasteasianfood.com/spicy-crispy-tofu-recipe/

• Like 1

I started making a smoothie with fresh organic broccoli, apple, bilberries, ginger, sellery, and carrots and drink half of it 30min after waking up and the rest around noon. The energy and focus throughout the Day is truly something since I started doing this. I use a stickblender which makes smaller bits then I would be able to chew to so more get's absorbed and digested this way and both the broccoli and the bilberries have medicinal effects not to mention the benefits on the gut from organic apples. 

Besides that I use ginseng and rhodiola extracts which further boosts the energy and stamina to workout and practice. 

If I eat too many grains or processed food I can immidiately feel the loss of energy that Day. 

Then a warm meal later but usually I'm not feeling starved or drained at all during the span of the Day on only fresh stuff even. 

Can highly recommend to try this for a Week and see for yourself the benefits. 

• Like 1

My go to is rolled oats when I am home. I like to eat as late in the day as I can, usually 11 am or so. So, it's usually lunch food by then. 

To make oats less sticky, I toast a half cup in a pan (I use a small, non-stick omelette pan), and then add a cup of boiled water. It will foam a bit, so I add the water in batches. I eat them with a sliced banana, some peanut butter (I use Teddy brand, super chunky,  unsalted), and a little soy sauce. The last one sounds odd, but I like it. I don't add sweetener. That's it. 

Ideally though, my day starts with 108 bows, sitting with my zoom group, and then I am out the door for work. Qigong in the evening. Life is rarely ideal, though! :D 

• Like 3

On 10/23/2023 at 3:54 PM, S:C said:

For a long time I went for oats (either made warm with milk or water) and some fruits. Can't do that everyday, it is so sticky.
Don't like bread with cheese, marmelade etc. Ended up with some amaranth, buckweath and millet heated with water and rasperrys/or apples, that's okay.

But I am still curious: what are your favorite breakfast dishes?

Warm or cold?

Did you consciously choose the contents or is it more a habitual (sweet tooth) thing?

Did you import some recipies from asian countries?

Do you preprep the night before or fresh in the morning.

Thanks (I really need inspiration here...)

cc2b8a0524baad89b385c5005bc891cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

65b8216542f34_download(21).thumb.jpeg.130fac27620f2358c47fe2ddce774bed.jpeg

It's spiritual.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ooh, what a fun thread! When my garden is out of commission, and I have to eat canned or preserved things, I like fruits, oats, ummm...Sometimes nuts as a treat. Whatever I happen to find cheap that week. But outside of winter, I usually eat whatever grows outside. I grow a lot of turnips and beans. My favorite heavy comfort meal is noodles, mixed with fresh tomatoes from my garden, and jalapenos or thai dragon chilis. I also have chickens, and eat a lot of eggs.

I also eat a lot of things that don't grow in my garden, like wild amaranth, deadnettles, and goosefoot. Wild plants tend to have more acids, so it's good to boil them first. Definitely don't eat a lot of them raw. I also like to make tea from marigolds, or the fragrant invasive mint, if only to get rid of some of it. The young leaves of goldenrod are also good, (but they get bitter as they get older,) and the flower heads are good for tea, but the bugs are also a big fan of them, so it's better to leave them...I also have some wild raspberry bushes, wild grapes, and a peach tree, but it takes all year to fruit and passerby's often steal those.

So...Whatever is growing at the time, and whatever is preserved or available, that's my breakfast.

My favorite treat of all, is shelling the black walnuts that grow outside. I use the husks to make ink (you have to use a glass dip pen, though, because organic inks like this are acidic and erode metal nibs.) And then I roast the nuts in honey, or brew it with my coffee. There is really nothing like it.

• Like 4

Drink a cup water then make steel cut oats- cooked in boiled water w/ peanut butter, flax seed, a little banana and handful of blueberries.  Trying to cook it just al-dente so each nugget is still a little firm.  On really cold days I'll make 2 spit-in-the-eye eggs.  Buttered sprouted wheat toast with a hole in the middle and egg fried there.  And coffee.  

Breakfast is my healthiest meal of the day.  Too often I go out to eat lunch w/ a friend which gets nutritionally haphazard.   Dinner is usually pretty good. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Apech said:

It's spiritual.

Contrary to popular belief, this is perfect.  (In China they would in all likelihood use lap cheong -- sweet pork sausage -- rather than bacon.  The recipe is 1500 years old.)  I like to add a salad on the side.  

Quick ones I make:

in winter, grated daikon or Korean radish with some olive oil and a pinch of salt; finely chopped cabbage with grated carrots and a bit of sliced onions, dressing is olive oil+balsamic or apple cider vinegar diluted half and half with water+a bit of honey+salt; in season -- tomatoes+cucumbers+scallions with either sour cream for dressing or the above mix; or radishes and cucumbers; or guacamole, or pico de gallo, whatever is handy.  Parsley and/or cilantro are often included.  

I almost always eat hot breakfast.  Sometimes I make cottage cheese fritters known as syrniki, with homemade cottage cheese:

Syrniki Recipe - Russian Cheese Pancakes | Babaganosh  

Sometimes it's rice noodles with butter and grated cheese.

Sometimes it's a quick pie -- I make thin batter with rice flour and pour it over a variety of stuffings.

Gluten-free pancakes (I use kefir and rice flour). 

And if I'm not in the mood for more involved cooking, then oatmeal or buckwheat or quinoa or rice, with ample butter and some sugar (with buckwheat, sugar is to be omitted.)

Those are just examples.  I am a believer in variety and convenience.  Sometimes I just use leftovers from last night's dinner, especially if I have rice handy -- then leftovers go into fried rice with some of my favorite spices.  (I often make a month's supply of a couple of my favorite Georgian sauces and seasonings, which replace ketchup for most purposes plus are in charge of some additional tasks.)      

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

On 1/29/2024 at 2:06 PM, Apech said:

It's spiritual.

WOW! What a Taoist breakfast! I didn't know Taoists love fat meats!:D

On 1/30/2024 at 2:01 PM, Taomeow said:

(In China they would in all likelihood use lap cheong -- sweet pork sausage -- rather than bacon.  The recipe is 1500 years old.)

Really? I never have a lap cheong for breakfast but only for dinner with rice.

2 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

WOW! What a Taoist breakfast! I didn't know Taoists love fat meats!:D

Live and learn, my friend.  Live and learn.

2 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

Really? I never have a lap cheong for breakfast but only for dinner with rice.

Neither did I.  What I meant was, it's more popular in China than bacon, per my observations.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Live and learn, my friend.  Live and learn.

I live and learned that fat meat or meat is definitely not in the Taoist diet! Peace! Taomeow.

18 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

I live and learned that fat meat or meat is definitely not in the Taoist diet! Peace! Taomeow.

Peace is good, but actually, a declaration like that is on the war path against a diametrically opposite view. 

I drop this, however (inviting you to do likewise) only because I already wrote a whole lot on the subject in the past, not because there can be peace between me and new age nutrition masquerading as taoist.   

2 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Peace is good, but actually, a declaration like that is on the war path against a diametrically opposite view. 

Sorry. I offended you. I didn't mean to!

12 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Sorry. I offended you. I didn't mean to!

You didn't offend me.  I expressed a dissenting view in response to your disagreeing with me on the subject under scrutiny.  It is a totally different animal from taking offense. 

Goodwill appreciated, no apology necessary.     

• Like 1

Most Taoists eat meat.   

Western bacon is almost nonexistent in China.

We do eat Lap Cheong or Yun Cheong ( liver Cheong ), mostly in winter for lunch or dinner.  

• Like 2