roamthevoid

Use cannabis to build Chi

33 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

@roamthevoid

Here comes that bias and fundamentalism I was telling you about...

The site is rife with it.

C'est la vie

Since I am here late, and I cannot see the post immediately ahead of your comment, it's possible this is referring to my comments:  Therefore I will repost what I said: which is neither biased nor fundementalist.  Just common sense.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Nothing wrong with that....  until there is. 

Edited by Daniel

12 minutes ago, steve said:

Sometimes those connections and experiences are exaggerated or misleading and only have significance due to the altered perception

Thank you for saying this.

12 minutes ago, steve said:

When it comes to specific methods, like Qi cultivation or tummo for example, there is a lot of specificity. and precision in the methodology

Thank you for saying this.

In my early twenties, a very handsome guy who went by the nickname Street Smart offered to hang out with me, but only if I smoked weed with him.  I'd never gotten stoned before and was kind of scared but like I say, a very handsome guy.  We laughed a lot and afterwards we went out for pizza.  That afternoon was the first and last time I smoked pot.  Since then I've dedicated myself to various Daoist practices and, while I've had many interesting experiences, I would not describe myself as an energetic dynamo.  Would I be more "spiritual" if I'd continued to get high?  They say that correlation cannot prove causation but I urge my fellow Bums to learn from my experience and not take any chances.  If you want to build your chi, smoke often.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I heard that one man's experience and subsequent opinion is not indicative of the entirety of human experience.

Hard cope lol

Edited by Salvijus

17 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I heard that one man's experience and subsequent opinion is not indicative of the entirety of human experience.

I personally stopped smoking cannabis since I began cultivating because I get some weird muscle cramps for days after I have a joint. It didn’t used to happen before.

According to some Chinese masters,  it is “poisonous”. Same in Ayurveda.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What we consume is the literal process of merging of our inner and outer living process.  It is the manifest expression of our interplay with the five aggregates and the co-arising conditions of life process.  This can be a conscious and engaged, or unconscious and dissociated process.  As organisms we comprise the environment in which we arise.  Any distinction between self and environment at some point, relies upon an entirely arbitrary boundary set in mind.  We often accept such boundaries from those who claim authority around us, to whom we give our agreement and thus accept as our world experience.

My natural state is to be my own advocate in the experience of awareness, presence and beingness. 

Far more impacting than any physical substance I've ever consumed on my state of mind and beingness, are the media and thoughts I allow my mind to consume and ruminate upon.  The emotional and mental states that arise that I feed and imbue with energy, abide and endure and become my ground state over time.

One thought can heal, dissolve hate and resonate our entire being in bouyancy wholeness and loving kindness.  LIkewise, repetitive thought patterns can poison, disempower and reduce connection and vitality.  Assumption, projection abound.  The Storyteller is an amalgam of all the figures of authority who've appealed to our sense of self to whom we made agreements of consent.

We each experience life from the center of our own awareness.

Energy flows where attention resides.

Only you will experience what arises and dissolves in your engagement with the physical and the meta conditions of life.  I undertake this process actively and do not innately accept or reject the projections and assumptions of others.  I engage life and assess in flow.  So claims and experiences of others are not an authority until I've engaged with them directly and see how they process.  I do not accept even one bit of information from any of my formal teachers, until I've run it through my own process and see how it resonates in awareness, presence and being.  Nor are we static flows... so revisiting is beneficial.  Some aspects that have been beneficial for years may at a point in life become toxic and need to be reassessed and allowed to pass.

Appeals to authority abound in present life.  I see a culture desperate to 'teach' and be seen as a teacher.  So much projection (much of it well intended) streams through our media feeds and from the mouths of those about us.

It is remarkably empowering and freeing to engage the living process on all fronts and assess what arises within awareness with frank open loving acknoweldgement. 

What arises in others and for others is not rejected, nor is it adopted on their claimed authority. 

It is a potent emanation to engage life without instantly needing to accept or reject whatever arises.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

What we consume is the literal process of merging of our inner and outer living process.  It is the manifest expression of our interplay with the five aggregates and the co-arising conditions of life process.  This can be a conscious and engaged, or unconscious and dissociated process.  As organisms we comprise the environment in which we arise.  Any distinction between self and environment at some point, relies upon an entirely arbitrary boundary set in mind.  We often accept such boundaries from those who claim authority around us, to whom we give our agreement and thus accept as our world experience.

My natural state is to be my own advocate in the experience of awareness, presence and beingness. 

Far more impacting than any physical substance I've ever consumed on my state of mind and beingness, are the media and thoughts I allow my mind to consume and ruminate upon.  The emotional and mental states that arise that I feed and imbue with energy, abide and endure and become my ground state over time.

One thought can heal, dissolve hate and resonate our entire being in bouyancy wholeness and loving kindness.  LIkewise, repetitive thought patterns can poison, disempower and reduce connection and vitality.  Assumption, projection abound.  The Storyteller is an amalgam of all the figures of authority who've appealed to our sense of self to whom we made agreements of consent.

We each experience life from the center of our own awareness.

Energy flows where attention resides.

Only you will experience what arises and dissolves in your engagement with the physical and the meta conditions of life.  I undertake this process actively and do not innately accept or reject the projections and assumptions of others.  I engage life and assess in flow.  So claims and experiences of others are not an authority until I've engaged with them directly and see how they process.  I do not accept even one bit of information from any of my formal teachers, until I've run it through my own process and see how it resonates in awareness, presence and being.  Nor are we static flows... so revisiting is beneficial.  Some aspects that have been beneficial for years may at a point in life become toxic and need to be reassessed and allowed to pass.

Appeals to authority abound in present life.  I see a culture desperate to 'teach' and be seen as a teacher.  So much projection (much of it well intended) streams through our media feeds and from the mouths of those about us.

It is remarkably empowering and freeing to engage the living process on all fronts and assess what arises within awareness with frank open loving acknoweldgement. 

What arises in others and for others is not rejected, nor is it adopted on their claimed authority. 

It is a potent emanation to engage life without instantly needing to accept or reject whatever arises.

This is really a work of (mumbo jumbo) art 

Edited by Salvijus

20 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

This is really a work of (mumbo jumbo) art 

and your engagement with my sharings are opinon and being an unqualified observer of my process are to me, the equivalent of bird song (or traffic noise)... meaningless chatter and background radiation.

Be well or not mate. 

18 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

and your engagement with my sharings are opinon and being an unqualified observer of my process are to me, the equivalent of bird song (or traffic noise)... meaningless chatter and background radiation.

Be well or not mate. 

Cry me a river

The meaning of building up chi is to make the function of the organs more functional. In TCM, Chi is simple means the functions and the functional activities of the organs. It was an esoteric term to say: Enhancing the function of the organs and increasing the ability for the organs to have better performance. Thus chi is not energy as people were misled for a long time.

The organs interact with each other. Each organ carries out its function and is passed down the line to the next. Hence, the next organ can perform its function properly, and so on. That is what it means by chi flow in TCM. If one organ malfunctions, then, it will cause the next organ in line to malfunction also. For that said,chi flow has been stopped or clogged. If one thinks chi flow is "energy flow", then, it would be a big misconception all along.

PS
Based on the above definition, cannabis definitely won't help to build up chi.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 3

Like even the most lovingly cultivated and gently potent organic bud, silent thunder's musings are not for everybody, but I'm glad they are here for those -- like occasionally me -- who need their particular medicine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The seed of  cannabis , in fact, is quite a common TCM herb,  but it is mainly used  for  curing constipation because of its  "lubricating " ( mimost plants' seeds  in TCM is claimed , more or less,  to have such an effect   )  effect  on the large intestine , not its ability of enhancing the qi of the large intestine .  Anyway, talking about external help to increase  your qi  in spiritual  cultivation , of course , you can stick some kind of plaster  of Chinese herbs  : ginseng  mixed with others , say  北芪 (Bei qi) ,  當歸 ( dong guai ) but  likely not cannabis ,  at the acupuncture points  under your navel  when doing qi cultivation.

However, a clear,  emptied  Mind is , in the final analysis , the key for any  qi , then spiritual cultivation  , and anything  that interferes   it  is  no good . Doing the emptied Mind stuff  well can  take the place of  all those tricks :  drinking medicine , singing curses,  adopting some body postures..etc , so for those who love simplicity and get the resolute ,  they  may prefer such a simple, thorough solution.

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 2

On 01/10/2023 at 8:27 AM, Salvijus said:

I heard Adam mizner say canabis disperses chi, so it's the opposite of what you want in cultivation.

Not just that - it does cause a major block to the lungs which does heavily affect qi cultivation. It enlivens shen but at the cost of imbalance which will invariably lead to deviation (and over time a lot worse).

I think if a person wants to still do it then it’s their choice. But it isn’t for cultivation as it causes deviation almost immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diggorydogood said:

Not just that - it does cause a major block to the lungs which does heavily affect qi cultivation. It enlivens shen but at the cost of imbalance which will invariably lead to deviation (and over time a lot worse).

I think if a person wants to still do it then it’s their choice. But it isn’t for cultivation as it causes deviation almost immediately.

Mhm

Yea. Actually to add a bit more.

In ayurveda i was told by an ayurveda doc that cannabis and psychedelic substances in general create 'mental ama' (translates as toxins) that does not leave the system easily. This ama is more then just physical toxins and often is not recognised by the western medical science. 

Apparently there used to be yogis who would smoke pot every day as a part of their practice. But pot used to be a very small ingredient only. And they were mixing it with some other herbs to negate the side effects.

(Just some bits of information I picked up here and there.)

Edited by Salvijus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Mhm

Yea. Actually to add a bit more.

In ayurveda i was told by an ayurveda doc that cannabis and psychedelic substances in general create 'mental ama' (translates as toxins) that does not leave the system easily. This ama is more then just physical toxins and often is not recognised by the western medical science. 

Apparently there used to be yogis who would smoke pot every day as a part of their practice. But pot used to be a very small ingredient only. And they were mixing it with some other herbs to negate the side effects.

(Just some bits of information I picked up here and there.)

Very true. 

I think we mostly need to give that perspective but clearly on the practices to generate proper cultivation, steer clear of it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, exorcist_1699 said:

The seed of  cannabis , 火麻仁 ,  in fact, is quite a common TCM herb,  but it is mainly used  for  curing constipation because of its  "lubricating

Really?  Respectfully, THC oil is a binding agent.  One of the most viscous sticky substances I have ever encountered.  The flowers are super sticky too.  I'm not a user, but, I have friends.  I help them sometimes.  One of things I've done is render it into medicine.  I have a hard time with this notion that it is a lubricant.

14 hours ago, exorcist_1699 said:

most plants' seeds  in TCM is claimed , more or less,  to have such an effect

Oh!  The seeds?  That'll clean the pipes.  Absolutely.  They have virtually no thc at all.  But super healthy.

9 hours ago, Salvijus said:

~begin-sarcasm~

but... but, but, it makes me feel so good.  how can something so wrong feel so right?

~end-sarcasm~

Edited by Daniel
  • Haha 1

Wow! There are a lot of heated opinions on the use of cannabis with cultivation. I think I agree with Daniel? Cultivation doesn't seem like something that can come with shortcuts, it at least seems contradictory to everything I have read so far.

• Like 1

I just dismiss any questions about cannabis, or booze, or LSD, or la-la-wasca, or whatever the junk de jour is.

The world is full of people that just want to get drunk or get high. If that is what I wanted, I would not be here.

Edited by EFreethought
correcting misspelling
  • Like 3

Interesting topic. I was wondering if there was one of these. Just from my experience Weed makes the feeling of Qi way stronger and more noticeable. I don't do it all the time but sometimes I'll do my practices after coming down and it feels way more potent. Your mind isn't hazy if you are used to it and it can be an altered meditative state it places you in opening up doors to inspiration and increased psychic Awareness.. now the latter part can be a burden sometimes. All this is just from my personal experience and opinion. The first time I truly felt the ability to project qi from my palm with my outgoing breath was when I was high. I'm also the kind of person who when drunk doesn't lose any coordination or mental faculties just become more friendly and confident unless it's an exceptional amount, so maybe that has something to do with it. But unlikely because Weed can quickly become overwhelming if out of your league.

Another one I'll mention was the first time I tried LSD  around when I was first starting Daoist  breathing practices around 5 years ago. When on LSD due to the heightened brain function and awareness I was able to Feel my lower dantian and breathe straight into it feeling a pulsing or vibration as the Qi descended. I kinda intuited this pump like sensation on pumping down on the outgoing breath. I still can't do that normally. These things can be valuable tools  but shouldn't be relied upon.

Edited by Klinsly
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Klinsly said:

Interesting topic. I was wondering if there was one of these. Just from my experience Weed makes the feeling of Qi way stronger and more noticeable.

IMO Different substances are only temporarily make someone high as a normal reaction.
They will not sustain life for long but have an adverse effect. As you say, one shouldn't be relied upon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

IMO Different substances are only temporarily make someone high as a normal reaction.
They will not sustain life for long but have an adverse effect. As you say, one shouldn't be relied upon.

Definitely, but they have their place and use when used responsibly. A lot of stigma from people sounds almost dogmatic from people who have no relationship with it. I'm not judging them just making  observations over long periods. Those who don't use or have no desire more power to them and I'm happy for their decision. It's kinda a thing of not being able to go back, not addiction wise but knowledge and experience wise to see things differently. This is kinda a universal concept on any deep or occulted topic.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Klinsly said:

Definitely, but they have their place and use when used responsibly. A lot of stigma from people sounds almost dogmatic from people who have no relationship with it. I'm not judging them just making  observations over long periods. Those who don't use or have no desire more power to them and I'm happy for their decision. It's kinda a thing of not being able to go back, not addiction wise but knowledge and experience wise to see things differently. This is kinda a universal concept on any deep or occulted topic.

Pretty good explanation as far as your own observations go, but you may be too inexperienced with meditation to really understand how recreational drugs affect the nervous system. It universally leads to worse results.

Since you practice Flying Phoenix Qigong, I have quoted Sifu Terry Dunn on the topic:

Take care.

Edited by senseless virtue
link
  • Like 2