Sign in to follow this  
galen_burnett

How would you counter this hypothesis to the ‘Enlightenment’ idea?

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

If you would like your authority respected please produce proof of your priesthood.

Are you an accepted authority in a temple, community, or some organization?

Who bestowed this title on you?

On behalf of stirling:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

It is--insofar it's at the very centre of things.

The Buddhāvataṃsakasūtra states "that the fields full of assemblies, the beings and aeons which are as many as all the dust particles, are all present in every particle of dust."

I simply see it differently.  I do not deny the divinity of dust.  I doubt you do either, but, I mean, the outer shell of the dust, the husk, so to speak.  I consider it divine, but as a negation.  So there is a core, like you are saying which is divine.  And there's the outer shell which a negated form of divinity.  Maybe in daoism it's yin, or wu?  Still divine.  Just not the same.  If so, then divinity is literally omni-present, even present where it is "absent" and "not".  Literally.  It's like what I was saying to Mark.

Infinity = was, is, will-be, wasn't, isn't, won't, and could-be.

Omni-present = is, and isn't.

Isn't has two forms.  

Isn't = Not and Null

( the serpent and it's partner in crime )

All of it is divine, in different ways.  And that's why the serpent and it's partner are so tempting.  Because when they whisper, "join me, I have the power you are seeking, I'm right here, right next to you, all you need to do is snatch it", they're not lying.  It's true.  And they are close, they are the wrapping, the husk, the shell that veils the divinity that "is", literally.  Drawing from what "is" is much more difficult than drawing from what "isn't".  The shells, the husks, are close, and the core is buried underneath, and takes work to reveal it.

But, if a person can take a shortcut and draw from the divinity of "Not" and "Null" ... as they say "why not?"  And that is the #1 reason people make bad choices, right?  a little voice whispers, "why not?"

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

its another day in paradise if we can see it and help it to be so...

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark Foote said:

On behalf of stirling: we don't need no stinkin'n badges

Agreed.  Then there's no need to talk about credentials, and how long someone's been doing this or that.  No need to remind repeatedly of a title bestowed.  Content defines credibility.

• Like 1

i’m catching up slowly, i was away for a couple of weeks so… i’ve reached page 13, but i’m also archiving it all carefully, which takes some time, so i can give a “totally unbiased” and “completely dispassionate and objective” presentation of it on the youtube channel i’m making…

• Haha 1

On 12/09/2023 at 6:35 PM, galen_burnett said:

i’m catching up slowly, i was away for a couple of weeks so… i’ve reached page 13, but i’m also archiving it all carefully, which takes some time, so i can give a “totally unbiased” and “completely dispassionate and objective” presentation of it on the youtube channel i’m making…

I did not give you permission to use my posts.
(I have deleted all my posts in this thread.)

Edited by Cobie

18 hours ago, Nungali said:

Ahhh , but the thing is .... Australia has no pre HSS hominid paleontology .... so I would be a double inaccurate human .

For the record, I never called you 'inaccurate'. The term was introduced by Galen Burnett in this post:

2 hours ago, galen_burnett said:

presentation of it on the youtube channel i’m making…

All my posts are in public, this is a public forum.  Here in America, there is no expectation of privacy in public spaces, which, in general, within reason, means a person waives their right to privacy while in public spaces. 

However, I detected sarcasm in your post.  Perhaps I'm wrong, or it's not clear to others, so maybe a simple confirmation of your intent would be good?

2 hours ago, Cobie said:

Perfectly understandable.  The forum permits it, anyone participating here should be OK with unlimited edits or deletes of posts.  This sort of feature allows a lot of freedom to the poster to experiment with ideas, and then change their mind about posting it in part or in total.

For what it's worth, no judgements from me.

Edited by Daniel
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, galen_burnett said:

I'm not sure what kind of audience that would attract. The only appeal of such a tedious discussion as this comes from the ability to add your own take to the pile.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, whocoulditbe? said:

The only appeal of such a tedious discussion as this comes from the ability to add your own take to the pile.

what would you like to discuss?  maybe start a thread, list the ground rules at the beginning to prevent tedium?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

what would you like to discuss?  maybe start a thread, list the ground rules at the beginning to prevent tedium?

I have an idea for a thread to start some time, but it's high effort and I'm trying to cut back on internet posting at the moment. In general I think it'd be better if people posted slower and with more effort, but I'm not going to push that ideal on you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cobie said:

I did not give you permission to use my posts.

chill bro, the audience for it will be incredibly tiny—a commentary on a philosophical dialogue is not the sort of thing that draws millions of views. i think i was too late to catch the one you initially deleted anyway. besides, i don’t think there are any copyright laws that pertain to forums.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

All my posts are in public, this is a public forum.  Here in America, there is no expectation of privacy in public spaces, which, in general, within reason, means a person waives their right to privacy while in public spaces. 

However, I detected sarcasm in your post.  Perhaps I'm wrong, or it's not clear to others, so maybe a simple confirmation of your intent would be good?

Perfectly understandable.  The forum permits it, anyone participating here should be OK with unlimited edits or deletes of posts.  This sort of feature allows a lot of freedom to the poster to experiment with ideas, and then change their mind about posting it in part or in total.

For what it's worth, no judgements from me.

Lol no, super serious actually dude! I’m making a gaming-channel with lots of fun nonsense on it, but then I’ll make a supplementary secondary channel with philosophical stuff for any crossover-interest in my audience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whocoulditbe? said:

I'm not sure what kind of audience that would attract. The only appeal of such a tedious discussion as this comes from the ability to add your own take to the pile.

‘tedious’— why are you still here then lmao?? you’ve been lurking for weeks! i’m well aware of the lack of any appeal such a video would have, it would definitely be at the very bottom of the ‘bonus features’ of my channel; i’d expect only one or two people to be interested in it, if anyone at all—but even if just for one person i’d probably still make it.

also, “your own take”… bruh… half the thread is my own take lol. and is taking a dump on the creative enterprises of other people a hobby of yours? you seemed to jump at the opportunity right here so it made me wonder 🤷

Edited by galen_burnett

42 minutes ago, galen_burnett said:

Lol no, super serious actually dude! I’m making a gaming-channel with lots of fun nonsense on it, but then I’ll make a supplementary secondary channel with philosophical stuff for any crossover-interest in my audience.

I'd check it out.  Not the gaming side, but, the philosophy side might be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I'd check it out.  Not the gaming side, but, the philosophy side might be fun.

Well thanks, but it’ll be years before it’s ready in any case 🙄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, galen_burnett said:

‘tedious’— why are you still here then lmao?? you’ve been lurking for weeks!

I often lurk the activity tab, and I don't think there's a way to filter out bad threads.

and is taking a dump on the creative enterprises of other people a hobby of yours?

Sorry if it came across like that. Many people's individual posts here bring up interesting and worthwhile ideas, but I can't find any meaningful core thread of thought developing in this thread. I don't think most participants, including myself to be honest, even reached a common understanding of what we were talking about in the first place, probably because your question in the OP was long and thorny.

• Like 1

@Mark Foote what are you talking about please in your sentences beneath the second quote of stirling in your reply to stirling on the 26th august? (near the top of page 13)

Edited by galen_burnett

@Daniel Your reply to Mark Foote on the 26th August regarding the indefinite-article (page 13). I like how thorough you’re being about this, and I myself would relish the opportunity to learn those languages and see then what I could glean from it all by reading those original texts. Am I right to think that Mark Foote does indeed think the indefinite-article is implied in the original text, by his comment which you are replying to in that comment of yours I referenced at the start of this comment on the 13th Sep? [as much as I despise reddit.com, their forum-thread-format is pretty good…]. I’ll add that if ‘buddha’ is in fact a past-participle then that implies a past-tense—‘having been awakened, the Buddha began to complain in an annoying tone of voice’—which somewhat defiles the sacred ‘Present-Tense’ of the Buddhists through simply implying that other grammatical tenses exist besides the present-tense. If the Buddha really wanted a 101% sterile present-tense in his reality, then maybe he would have chosen a word that instead exactly reflects the present-tense, like the word for the adjective ‘awake’ in that language…

On 26/08/2023 at 6:41 PM, Daniel said:

i disagree that friendships are suffering

Bzzt-Rrrp 👋 I am a helpful forum-bot. I go hither and thither. Here is an illustration of

“friendships are suffering”

for you:

IMG_1315.jpeg

On 26/08/2023 at 6:54 PM, Daniel said:

Not a web-developer, but I've done some fun stuff with databases.  That was 20 years ago.  For the past 20 years, I've been a network admin at a small but very busy dental office.  Although, I'm also the entire IT dept, and the facilities manager, so I do it all.  Some fun stuff, and some messy stuff too.  In general, THANKGOD, my systems just plain work, so I'm very part time, and 99% I'm working remotely.

NICE!!!

I just learned the other day that one’s teeth will stain even with regular bi-daily brushings! I tore my clothes and beat my breast when I learned that.

@Mark Foote your reply to stirling on the 27th august (page 14). suzuki seems to be implying here that getting to a place where one “does nothing” is the ultimate, the desired state, perfection, Enlightenment; or at least is the vehicle that takes the practitioner thither. 

On 27/08/2023 at 5:56 AM, Daniel said:

@Mark Foote,

Phooey, my friend in india just replied.  He is declining to help with the translation, not because he can't, but because he says it's an oral tradition, not a verbatim quote, so the level of detail I am asking for, he says is baseless.  Although it seems he agrees that the translation should not be the title "A Buddha" but is instead a "matter of fact" quality of being enlightened.  He's said twice in the very short reply, let's not get into semantics.  Hee-hee.  He knows me pretty well, although, I feel like I've made some intellectual progress (maturity) since we last communcated.

What do you make of that Daniel?

@Daniel In your reply to Mark Foote on the 27th august (page 14) in which you refer to that “of what he would become” line, do you mean it doesn’t make sense because the Buddha was all about the ‘Present’?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, galen_burnett said:

What do you make of that Daniel?

My friend and I had a nice chat.  He ended up given some details about the translation, but, we got side tracked because he kept referring me to "asavas".  He said the important point of the whole story was ridding oneself of asavas.  I wanted to focus more on the details of the story specifically.  But he is old, and I think he cares about me more than the story, and sees my own asavas as a great impediment in my life.  So, that was the focus.

Sign in to follow this