Apech

Unpopular Opinions

15 hours ago, Nungali said:

You 'object' to my diversion ?    

You must be , because  it wasn't about an opinion  it was about an action . 

Furthermore , I object to your action , in objection to 'my opinion' because it wasn't one.

And further to that furthermore , I object to your diversion , criticising my objecting to actions and thinking they where non objections to opinions and therefore extending the diversion .

But, you could criticise my opinion about all that as 'not unpopular ' ...  which would mean that  silly criticism of you IS popular , ...although I did decide to act on your action in posting an objection ...  and post my opinion  .

confused-confused-look.gif

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Haha 3

On 10/22/2023 at 1:53 PM, Nungali said:

Awww ... I was hoping you would have turned that into a song .

That's just asking for it, Nungali...

Spoiler
Only angels have wings, girl
And poets have all the words
The earth belongs to the two of us
And the sky belongs to the birds
You've given me so much happiness
That I'll wrap up and give you this song
You gotta grab it with both hands
You gotta keep hanging on
Gotta keep hanging on
You gotta keep,
The cat walks to the window
And I hear the key turn in the door
No one knows and anything goes
And everything falls on the floor
The apartment starts shaking
And the roof opens up to the sun
The crows flying in parallel lines
And ah ah ah
Hanging on, keep hanging on
Ah ah ah
Laying in each other's arms
We're sleepy, we begin to nod
And we start to dream of grandiose things
Oh God, oh God, oh God
You gotta keep hang, hang, hang, hang, hang, hanging on
You gotta keep
Ah ah ah

Probably an unpopular selection.

Edited by Mark Foote

I agree !  IE that opinion is VERY pop with me .

And furthermore

Aussies !  Stop Christmas decorating  with northern hemisphere winter stuff  down here in southern  summer Christmas swealtering !

Forget the spray on snow , the   northern pine tree , the Arctic Santa snow suit , hat and long beard, the reindeer , sleds etc .

And while I am bitchin'   ... stop celebrating Halloween on our Beltane  ! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I agree !  IE that opinion is VERY pop with me .

And furthermore

Aussies !  Stop Christmas decorating  with northern hemisphere winter stuff  down here in southern  summer Christmas swealtering !

Forget the spray on snow , the   northern pine tree , the Arctic Santa snow suit , hat and long beard, the reindeer , sleds etc .

And while I am bitchin'   ... stop celebrating Halloween on our Beltane  ! 

Buuuut… what is left of christmas with out the family feasting, gift giving, the winter vibes, alcohol and the great pagan three and the shaman flying on a reindeer driven sled? :(

I am happy scandinavia is one of the only, If not the only region that still call it jul (think it is derived from hjul, meaning wheel) and thereby perserving the winter solstice and nature worship aspect of christmas ❤️‍🔥

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Buuuut… what is left of christmas with out the family feasting, gift giving, the winter vibes, alcohol and the great pagan three and the shaman flying on a reindeer driven sled? :(

Prawns , cold chicken,  ham,  leg o pork , rice salad ,  pudding ... that should be good enough .  We still give gifts , being in the southern hemisphere doesnt impact on that .   Alcohol ?   Did I  say , in   Australia .  I would not worry about missing out on alcohol down here , any time of year !

as for your last  lament ;

14eb7afde91737b70b24be715bb4e8ab.jpg&f=1

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

I am happy scandinavia is one of the only, If not the only region that still call it jul (think it is derived from hjul, meaning wheel) and thereby perserving the winter solstice and nature worship aspect of christmas ❤️‍🔥

Well, my winter is in July .   :)

• Haha 1

image.jpeg.e2756750df2843bc7d1d9fb0b356b986.jpeg

Should’ve said “Yule in July”. :) Doesn’t look very wintry. :huh: Google: winter average 13 °C. Wow, positively balmy:lol: 

Edited by Cobie

It does look wintry , cant you see the snow painted on the sign  . 

And it should say Christmas  as with two Christmases a year .... it fulfills the whole purpose of it all .... retail ! 

Imagine the boon to the economy if we could sell all that crap TWICE a year !

... and with such a ' positively balmy '  winter , could sell spray on 'Santa snow'   twice a year !

:lol: I’d rather be skinny than enlightened. :P

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cobie said:

:lol: I’d rather be skinny than enlightened. :P
image.jpeg.70633e2268f1b2b3f49574dd67b11cdb.jpeg

Apparently the Buddha disagrees.  

On 11/12/2023 at 10:54 PM, thelerner said:

Apparently the Buddha disagrees.  

:lol: The Buddha followed the ‘middle way’ and therefore was of average weight. :P 

We don’t know if “the Buddha disagrees”. We don’t have a photograph of him. And he never wrote anything down; the earliest writings are from something like 5 centuries after his death!

Edited by Cobie

This one is sure to be unpopular 😇😈

Medieval alchemists were famous for doing all kinds of weird things, like boiling vats of piss to refine phosphorous, which glows in the dark, so is of course very magical.

Internal alchemists, being even more weird, huff and puff and wiggle about in a peculiar way that forces oxygen into the brain, causing them to see various lights floating around, that are of course very spiritual.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

We suffer more in imagination than in reality. And there is no easy way from earth to the stars. 
Seneca did his homework. Apparently I did not.

Edited by S:C
  • Like 1

On 13/12/2023 at 5:24 PM, Nintendao said:

This one is sure to be unpopular 😇😈

Medieval alchemists were famous for doing all kinds of weird things, like boiling vats of piss to refine phosphorous, which glows in the dark, so is of course very magical.

Internal alchemists, being even more weird, huff and puff and wiggle about in a peculiar way that forces oxygen into the brain, causing them to see various lights floating around, that are of course very spiritual.

Medievel alchemists dirtied their hands and took risks knowing that most of all their faith and serious investment would guide them to the goal. An approach rarely seen these days when people think they can buy a clean and safe path.

Edited by oak
  • Like 1

On 15.11.2023 at 11:31 PM, Nungali said:

Prawns , cold chicken,  ham,  leg o pork , rice salad ,  pudding ... that should be good enough .  We still give gifts , being in the southern hemisphere doesnt impact on that .   Alcohol ?   Did I  say , in   Australia .  I would not worry about missing out on alcohol down here , any time of year !

as for your last  lament ;

14eb7afde91737b70b24be715bb4e8ab.jpg&f=1

IMG_0838.jpeg.ea8b11186376b0e175d4eb60f880d667.jpeg

poor ken-guru got destroyed recently in the artic circle :(

On 15.11.2023 at 11:15 PM, NaturaNaturans said:

l call it jul (think it is derived from hjul, meaning wheel)

I must correct myself here, the etymologi of yule is:

Certainly! Here's the translation of the previous answer regarding the etymology of "jul":

"The word 'jul' has a fascinating etymological history that traces back to ancient traditions and languages. The Swedish word for Christmas, 'jul,' originates from the Old Norse word 'jól,' which refers to the midwinter season. 'Jól,' in turn, has its roots in the Proto-Germanic '*jehwlą', meaning 'festivities' in plural, and even further back to the Proto-Indo-European '*yekə-', meaning to joke or play. These terms reflect the historical and cultural significance of Christmas as a time for celebration and festivities.

The ancient Nordic tradition of celebrating 'jól' was centered around the winter solstice, long before the arrival of Christianity in Scandinavia. These celebrations were characterized by sacrificial meals and grand feasts, also linked to the Norse god Odin. Although modern Christmas has Christian elements, like the celebration of the birth of Jesus, many of the ancient customs continue to influence Nordic Christmas celebrations.

For more detailed information, you can visit [Wiktionary](https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jul), [Transparent Blog](https://blogs.transparent.com/swedish/swedish-jul-a-christian-tradition-with-pagan-roots/), and [Etymologeek](https://etymologeek.com/swe/jul)."

(ChatGPT)

BUT, i did find some fun facts about the tradition and Odin being Linked to Santa:

Odin, a central figure in Norse mythology, has an intriguing connection to Christmas and the ancient celebration of the Winter Solstice known as Yule. Odin was regarded as a gift-giver and associated with many aspects of the Yule celebration. According to tradition, he rode his eight-legged horse, Sleipnir, across the sky, leaving gifts for those who had been good throughout the year. This is seen as an early inspiration for the modern Santa Claus.

Yule was also a time for renewal and rebirth. The Winter Solstice marked the darkest day of the year, and after this, the sun began its journey back toward the earth, symbolizing a rebirth of the land. This theme of renewal and new beginnings was celebrated by the Vikings.

The celebration of Yule also included Yule trees and the use of evergreen decorations, which held symbolic value in Norse mythology. The Yule tree was seen as a representation of Yggdrasil, the world tree connecting the various realms in the Norse universe. The use of Yule trees and other evergreen decorations became popular during Winter Solstice celebrations and continued into modern Christmas festivities.

The importance of gift-giving during Christmas has also been linked to the Three Wise Men's gifts to baby Jesus, although the connection between these two traditions is primarily circumstantial. However, the gift-giving tradition during the Winter Solstice has retained its significance in the holiday.

In addition to Odin, other Norse gods like Frigg and Thor were also associated with Yule. For instance, a central aspect of the Yule celebration, the Yule log, was often lit with a piece of wood from Thor's sacred oak tree, symbolizing... 

For more detailed information on these traditions, you might consider exploring sources related to Norse mythology and the history of Christmas traditions.

(also chatgpt)

2 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

IMG_0838.jpeg.ea8b11186376b0e175d4eb60f880d667.jpeg

poor ken-guru got destroyed recently in the artic circle :(

never heard of   'Guru Ken'   ????   I have heard of 'Master Ken' though .

:lol: (Pun) ‘lifting weights with your junk’ is ‘bollocks’. :P

Edited by Cobie
  • Haha 1

“The human mind is not a statistical machine like ChatGPT and its ilk, greedy for hundreds of terabytes of data in order to arrive at the most plausible answer to a conversation or the most likely answer to a scientific question. "

On the contrary... "The human mind is a surprisingly efficient and elegant system that works with a finite amount of information. It does not try to corrupt correlations from the data, but rather tries to create explanations. ... ]

Let's then stop calling it "Artificial Intelligence" and call it what it is, making "plagiarism software" because "It doesn't create anything, but copies existing works from existing artists and modifies them in such a way that they can escape copyright .

This is the largest theft of intellectual property ever recorded since European colonists arrived in Indian communities. "

Noam Chomsky, New York Times - March 8, 2023

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2

On 2/3/2024 at 2:10 PM, steve said:

"plagiarism software"

I will likely never think of it as anything else in this life.

Thank you for this insight... <deep bow>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1