SkullTraill

Hi... What is Dao Bums really..?

Hi!

I was googling "occult forums" and I came accross this site. I also run an occult and magical discussion forum. I'm just curious as to what this site is? I genuinely mean no offense, and of course I gather Daoism is one of the main topics... but would it also be safe to assume that, occult practices, celibacy and... "farming" (?) are also topics here?

As I said above I run an occult site, and as such my interests are very much aligned with anything of an occult or esoteric nature. Aside from that, there isn't too much to say about me. I like Minecraft. I'm not very autistic.

Very curious site. I wish you well.

• Like 1

Hi SkullTraill,

What an interesting question… 

(that I don’t feel quite like answering in this moment… )

Welcome to the bums.

Hope you enjoy your time here, and warm regards,

ilu (the present keeper of the gates)

• Like 1

On 2021-09-28 at 5:57 PM, SkullTraill said:

I'm just curious as to what this site is? I genuinely mean no offense, and of course I gather Daoism is one of the main topics... but would it also be safe to assume that, occult practices, celibacy and... "farming" (?) are also topics here?

Yes, people have a wide spread of interests, and there are many ways to center oneself and find peace. 

Or experiences, whatever.... 😁 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 1:57 AM, SkullTraill said:

Hi!

I was googling "occult forums" and I came accross this site. I also run an occult and magical discussion forum. I'm just curious as to what this site is? I genuinely mean no offense, and of course I gather Daoism is one of the main topics... but would it also be safe to assume that, occult practices, celibacy and... "farming" (?) are also topics here?

As I said above I run an occult site, and as such my interests are very much aligned with anything of an occult or esoteric nature. Aside from that, there isn't too much to say about me. I like Minecraft. I'm not very autistic.

Your forum sounds interesting .   I have a looooong history of studying and practising in such matters .

Farming and gardening can be 'magical' and improved using  occult sciences  and the processes of alchemy .

Check out the 

https://www.thedaobums.com/forum/223-esoteric-and-occult-discussion/

Daoism and Buddhism have extensive magical practices in them . 

Actually, of you are involved with western magical / occult practices you must realise  the input of those practices into the western magical tradition over the last  150 years  ?

• Like 3

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. I'll look into this site some more, and if I find something I write for my own forum would be useful here, I'll try to port it over as well to Dao Bums :)

8 minutes ago, SkullTraill said:

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. I'll look into this site some more, and if I find something I write for my own forum would be useful here, I'll try to port it over as well to Dao Bums :)

Stop by our other forum too, Alchemical Garden. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Stop by our other forum too, Alchemical Garden. 

Thank you! I currently have my hands full with WizardForums.com my own site, and I note that Alchemical.Garden required more active participation than I will probably be able to provide. So for now I think I will mostly lurk and provide light contributions to theDaoBums.com where I can. Later on, perhaps I will have the capacity to join AG :)

Just now, SkullTraill said:

Thank you! I currently have my hands full with WizardForums.com my own site, and I note that Alchemical.Garden required more active participation than I will probably be able to provide. So for now I think I will mostly lurk and provide light contributions to theDaoBums.com where I can. Later on, perhaps I will have the capacity to join AG :)

No need to worry about joining--we designed it for the sake of lurking for people who aren't interested in active participation.

We also have a number of members who didn't read the memo and signed up to lurk anyway, haha. 

1 minute ago, Earl Grey said:

No need to worry about joining--we designed it for the sake of lurking for people who aren't interested in active participation.

We also have a number of members who didn't read the memo and signed up to lurk anyway, haha. 

Ah yes, I have already bookmarked it and will browse through the threads leisurely. I don't want to be one of those people that "missed the memo" hahah. If I notice a thread that I can actually contribute to, I will happily sign up.

Despite running WF, I wouldn't say I am in a position to educate anyone who is reasonably beyond the "beginner" level. I was searching for "occult forums" purely out of curiosity and to lurk and learn from :)

• Like 1

"What is Dao Bums really?" This is a great question! I Look forward to the answer as well.

Welcome!

Edited by el_tortugo

4 hours ago, SkullTraill said:

Ah yes, I have already bookmarked it and will browse through the threads leisurely. I don't want to be one of those people that "missed the memo" hahah. If I notice a thread that I can actually contribute to, I will happily sign up.

Despite running WF, I wouldn't say I am in a position to educate anyone who is reasonably beyond the "beginner" level. I was searching for "occult forums" purely out of curiosity and to lurk and learn from :)

I see your forum is fairly active .   I occasionally search for other interesting forums , including magic /occult , but rarely get hits . I dont know why yours has never come up before ?  Many I have found seem defunct and 'recent ' posts are very old  .  So I will check your forum out more -  thanks for the info .

On 28.09.2021 at 6:57 PM, SkullTraill said:

Hi!

Hi, the name of this forum is Dao Bums

Daoism = Asian religion talking about "cultivation"
Bum = homeless person, beggar

Dao Bums means homeless Asians.

Edited by XianGong
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

To me, Dao Bums has been a place to

shoot the shit, learn a bit,

exchange thoughts great & small

and make a friend or two. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

From my personal POV, the DB is about a bunch of mostly Western students who were disenchanted with traditional sources of religious authority and looked for practical spiritual practices that work, especially for modern non-monastics. People would try out different things and report on what seems to work for them. Many of us have tried out different spiritual modalities --- Daoist, Buddhist, Western occult so have a broad range of experience. 

Over time, a lot of people decided to split off due to various differences in approach and/or politics, which is unfortunate. 

Also interesting is how many DBs ended up settling into a more or less traditional path. 

• Like 2