2 hours ago, dwai said:

What I got from that story was that an unfortunate woman, with the help of a spiritual master gained liberation against severe odds. And that one shouldn’t judge another based on appearances. 

Like Illumaren I was put out by the set up, but the full story, particularly the the ending was pretty good- a reincarnation love story full of sacrifice, misunderstandings and with a happy ending.  

I cut some slack to old people and old stories, from a time and age when prejudicii were the norm.  The wife/prostitute made it to enlightenment.. the highest, rarest reward; higher than her dedicated husband, and the judgey town folk weren't even close.  That's not a bad moral, ie to me, the real meaning is Don't Judge.. which works real well to the Original Post.  

I spent some time reading the other stories on the blog.  Many were quite good.  A great way to access the wisdom of Hindu thinking without cracking a scripture.  

<I'd add in the stories guys get it as bad as woman.  ie another one has a proper religious man annoyed at a beggar he sees walking down the street.  Poor timing, he dies, despite lifetime of piety, reborn as a beggar.  Later becomes king due to an enlightened elephant, but ends life disgraced, throwing himself a fire.  

M. Shylaman twists all the way :) >

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Against my better judgment I am going to comment on this post.

It's really frustrating for me whenever you share something openly on forums like this it seems to come back to haunt you people will dig through your post history to dig up things to attack you with so I'm sure that will certainly be the case here in the future.

I sincerely believe that when you have sex you're not just swapping bodily fluids you're exchanging shen or soul energy.

In doing so you are also necessarily exchanging karma, both good and bad.

If you were having sex with someone who is mentally and emotionally unstable, all strung out on hard drugs and has little to no regard for their own life or well-being you were inheriting massive amounts of negative karma.

I suppose it's possible if you were to meet a mentally and emotionally stable, prostitute with very good karma who saw very upscale clientele, and wasn't strung out on drugs and did care for their own well-being and life etc that perhaps it could be an uplifting exchange of karma but it's really hard to tell and that sounds like probably a rarity to me in this industry.

Edited by Iliketurtles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, manitou said:

LOL.  Orgasmatron?

Yes  ... also known as   'The Excessive Machine '

Dont tell me you never watched  'Barbarella '  ?

3 hours ago, thelerner said:

I cut some slack to old people and old stories, from a time and age when prejudicii were the norm.  ....

Barbarella1.jpg

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

LOL.  Orgasmatron?

aka   orgone energy accumulator

Orgone-box-Psychiatrist-Wilhelm-Reich-de

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and perspectives! It's very interesting to hear different people's thoughts on such a controversial subject :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dwai said:

It’s a story — I’m sure it could have been that she was a man in her previous life, and due to his insatiable lust he became a prostitute.

For as sure as you are regarding what “could have been,” the story is clearly written with her having been wife (i.e, woman) in her previous life.

18 hours ago, dwai said:

Parables are meant to express a specific kind of meaning, and not to be taken literally.

Yeah, and there is a clear warning against women expressing (perhaps even feeling) sexual desire - lest they be sold into prostitution against their will in a future life.

18 hours ago, dwai said:

What I got from that story was that an unfortunate woman, with the help of a spiritual master gained liberation against severe odds. And that one shouldn’t judge another based on appearances. 

Yes, I saw those intended points as well - which do little to negate the points I am making.

18 hours ago, dwai said:

But I AM sorry it affected your feelings, my friend. :( 

It affected my feelings more that you presumed to tell me first of my anachronistic interpretation (and how we “can’t” do that) and then decided to instruct me on (what the proper and not literal) understanding of the parable is - to my understanding of the words you’ve typed without any actual consideration for what I presented. (I.e. “let’s just sweep that uncomfortable observation under the rug and tidy things up in a nice little package.)

18 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I hate it when there´s conflict, especially between wonderful people who don´t mean to hurt each other´s feelings.  Sometimes sex discussions suck.

My feelings were not hurt until I was expected to follow a prescribed understanding instead of expressing and discussing my own understanding. Sex discussions where one perspective dominates certainly do suck imo.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Nungali said:

aka   orgone energy accumulator

Orgone-box-Psychiatrist-Wilhelm-Reich-de

does it happen in the box?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ilumairen said:

My feelings were not hurt until I was expected to follow a prescribed understanding instead of expressing and discussing my own understanding. Sex discussions where one perspective dominates certainly do suck imo.

I certainly didn't expect you to follow any prescribed understanding. :) 

I should have better stated what I did as, "In my humble opinion, trying to retrofit today's standards for a story from the 1900s seems anachronistic and unnecessary". 

But that said, you certainly shone a different light on the matter -- something I hadn't considered at all -- so thank you for sharing. By no means was my intention to dismiss what you said...if it came across that way, my apologies.

P.S. I 100% agree with your position vis-a-vis the atrocious nature in which ignominy has historically been forced upon women with respect to sexuality (and of course various other forms of repression). Every person is sovereign and should be free to choose how they express their minds, bodies, sexuality, and so on. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 4

Some years back I was wandering around a sketchy neighborhood in Guadalajara trying to find the address of a friend who had graciously invited me to dinner.  After much searching I finally called my friend.  He said I was in a dangerous area and told me to stand on the corner; he´d come by and pick me up.  So I stood.  In a few minutes a car pulled up slowly, stopped, beckoned me in. Assuming it was my friend I looked in the window.  Nope, nobody I knew. 

Turns out the area was known for street walking prostitutes and the guy in the car likely wanted to pick me up.  Is it wrong that I look back on this story with pride?  Once upon a time someone wanted me badly enough to pay, a circumstance I attribute to stellar karma in a previous life. 

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

does it happen in the box?

Its  supposed to 'happen'   'in the box' .     'Orgone' was supposed to be accumulated  ..... but it wasn't  .... or couldnt be proved . That started off the fraud  charges  .... the imprisonment  and ... wait for it  .... the confiscation and book burning of  Reiche's  books ( by the USA )  , including  the valuable books and theories he wrote about before he went nutso . 

4 hours ago, ilumairen said:

For as sure as you are regarding what “could have been,” the story is clearly written with her having been wife (i.e, woman) in her previous life.

Yeah, and there is a clear warning against women expressing (perhaps even feeling) sexual desire - lest they be sold into prostitution against their will in a future life.

Yes, I saw those intended points as well - which do little to negate the points I am making.

It affected my feelings more that you presumed to tell me first of my anachronistic interpretation (and how we “can’t” do that) and then decided to instruct me on (what the proper and not literal) understanding of the parable is - to my understanding of the words you’ve typed without any actual consideration for what I presented. (I.e. “let’s just sweep that uncomfortable observation under the rug and tidy things up in a nice little package.)

Its an atrocious history  ... sexuality .    Its something men seem both ruled by , yet afraid of .

I have posted so many times here about Ida Craddock  ......    but I won't be stopping that  .... 

She committed the 'atrocious'  ( and confronting )   'crime'   of writing a book that pleaded with men to be more understanding and tender about sex  ... with their own wives  .... who they where supposed to 'love and cherish '  .... one of our first 'marriage / sex  educators  ... so  'they '  locked her up .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ida_Craddock

Ida Craddock: Sexual Mystic and Martyr for Freedom

https://www.idacraddock.com/intro.html

001.jpg?w=385&h=519

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Some years back I was wandering around a sketchy neighborhood in Guadalajara trying to find the address of a friend who had graciously invited me to dinner.  After much searching I finally called my friend.  He said I was in a dangerous area and told me to stand on the corner; he´d come by and pick me up.  So I stood.  In a few minutes a car pulled up slowly, stopped, beckoned me in. Assuming it was my friend I looked in the window.  Nope, nobody I knew. 

Turns out the area was known for street walking prostitutes and the guy in the car likely wanted to pick me up.  Is it wrong that I look back on this story with pride?  Once upon a time someone wanted me badly enough to pay, a circumstance I attribute to stellar karma in a previous life. 

Be careful on the corner ... and in alleyways   !

I was  accompanying an  OS visitor  around Sydney many years back. he commented  ' Sydney has so many prostitutes ... they are everywhere in the day time  , but they seem very high class and well dressed  ."

Me ; "  Huh ?   What do you mean ."

He pointed out the  'prostitutes' as we drove through the city .

Me;  "  Oh !  No, they are not prostitutes .  Smoking inside public buildings and in the work place has recently been banned ,  they  are going  outside for a cigarette ."

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Once upon a time someone wanted me badly enough to pay, a circumstance I attribute to stellar karma in a previous life.

LOL.  You are one lucky puppy.  The only thing I've ever had happen while standing on a street corner is that a necklace was ripped off my neck.  :D

• Like 1