38 minutes ago, freeform said:

As you can imagine this is a pretty massive and contested area...

I’m pretty simple with mine - I invest using what are called ETFs - which are funds that track many different stocks/bonds/commodities at the same time. I tend to pick ‘ethical’ stock ETFs (that basically avoid oil, pharma, arms, tobacco companies)

Have a look at: https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/all-weather-portfolio/

And also learn the caveats and risks involved - because there are some!!

I just ‘set it and forget it’. I don’t watch the market, I rarely check on my investments - it’s not an area I’m interested in particularly :) 

This is great stuff.

When I worked in personal finance, the two main ways you provided value to people was to:

A. Guide them towards a strategy like this (I haven't checked the link yet but it looks like Ray Dalios strategy - and for those who don't know he's one of the best in the world to do it)

B. Keep them from switching the strategy around, especially when emotions are running high and the world's going crazy.  This is when people lose money, and the best thing a pro would do for you would be to help you keep your cool (not give you some secret investment strategy - those guys are mostly shysters).  Technically speaking, if youre putting money in with the intention on 'flipping' it within 10 years, you're speculating and not investing.

Edited by Wilhelm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Yes the root chakra is something I've pondered often. The root chakra is something I've worked on in the past but I've not seem to made much progress with it for what ever reason.

Hi dmattwads,

Your chakral comprehension, perception, practice... flow downwards?

And not upwards ~ as in...

1st => 2nd => 3rd => 4th => 5th => 6th => 7th?

Why?

12 hours ago, dmattwads said:

To be honest I'm not really sure why I feel the way I do about money.

th?id=OIP.vhoVTR5KQCdwJM4snGg7bAHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

How downwardly rooted are you from this perspective?

- Anand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freeform said:

As you can imagine this is a pretty massive and contested area...

I’m pretty simple with mine - I invest using what are called ETFs - which are funds that track many different stocks/bonds/commodities at the same time. I tend to pick ‘ethical’ stock ETFs (that basically avoid oil, pharma, arms, tobacco companies)

Have a look at: https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/all-weather-portfolio/

And also learn the caveats and risks involved - because there are some!!

I just ‘set it and forget it’. I don’t watch the market, I rarely check on my investments - it’s not an area I’m interested in particularly :) 

Thank you, this hits several points I have wondered about. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wilhelm said:

looks like Ray Dalios strategy - and for those who don't know he's one of the best in the world to do it

That’s exactly whose strategy the link follows... but just more ‘DIY’.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wilhelm said:

Keep them from switching the strategy around, especially when emotions are running high and the world's going crazy.

Yes - thanks - that’s an important point.

22 hours ago, Sketch said:

Based on my life experience,  my other choice is to try to sell you a lucky money charm. Seriously. 

To really help out , you should by a charm off him .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nungali said:

To really help out , you should by a charm off him .

I'd only buy a money charm off of a billionaire lol 

On 08/01/2021 at 9:34 AM, dmattwads said:

This is one of the things the baffles me. I am an acupuncturist as some of you are aware. I have had many people call me their personal "miracle worker". My aim here isn't to brag or be conceited but I've had many cases of people with incurable conditions come to me and I helped them. I don't care about the money. I do acupuncture because I love doing it and I love helping people. It is honestly my passion, but never quite having enough for the basics does get old. And when I say basics, I more or less live like a monk, or as much like one as I can. 

Look, I dont really know  , as a practicing magician, for years  and years I have to say it s one of the more difficult 'tricks' .

Qualifier ... I am the biggest dolt in the world about money . I haven;t a clue , I gave it away, lost it  etc . never had much in the first place .  I did all sorts of things to try and manifest it . Nope, 'new age spells' .... nope to 'sensible approach  (because I never had that ).

Then I began to realise, what was manifesting where the things I would have got if I did have money .  EG.  I was desperate to get some to enclose my 'outbuilding'  - a half built house .  Did all the stuff to get the money , but ......  nope . The a few weeks later I get all this free wood !  I lived hand to mouth for a few years, but had fantastic other stuff .   To most it seemed like not much but they where the important things to me .  I had and have a total aversion to debt, so never had any .

Those that observed my 'problem' especially family where always concerned  ; "You gave your stuff away again !  ... what happened to that money ?   Why are you looking after 3 little kids  ?    Why are you sleeping out on your verandah and letting a homeless woman with a new born baby stay in your bed  ... is that YOUR baby ?  "    :D     no ... and why would anyone need to ask a question like that ,

So I eventually gave up and became satisfied with everything I have .  then BOOM !    Money dump !  delayed reaction ?   Coincidence ?

I dont know . As I said , its my worst subject !   All I can say is I hope YOU get a delayed reaction   and one day soon , it comes from a totally unexpected quarter , like mine did .

( but I could try a little nudge for you

< dresses up .... now, where is my wand and disc .....  does preliminaries  , points wand into the air making little circles

" O Invisible King Who, taking the Earth for Foundation, didst hollow its depths to fill them with Thy Almighty Power. Thou Whose Name shaketh the Arches of the World! Thou who causest the Seven Metals to flow through the veins of the rocks! King of the Seven Lights! Rewarder of the subterranean Workers! Lead us into the desirable Air and into the Realm of Splendor. We watch and we labor unceasingly, we seek and we hope, by the twelve stones of the Holy City, by the buried Talismans, by the Axis of the Lodestone which passes through the center of the Earth. O Lord, O Lord, O Lord! Have pity upon those who suffer. Expand our hearts, detach and upraise our minds, enlarge our natures. O Stability and Motion! O Darkness veiled in Brilliance! O Day clothed in Night! O Master who never dost withhold the wages of Thy Workmen! O Silver Whiteness! O Golden Splendor! O Crown of Living and Melodious Diamond! Thou who wearest the Heavens on Thy Finger like a ring of Sapphire! Thou who hidest beneath the Earth in the Kingdom of Gems, the marvelous Seed of the Stars! Live, reign, and be Thou the Eternal Dispenser of the Treasures whereof Thou hast made us the Warders!

Circle build and condense a cloud of fortune over the head of  dmattwads  and by your  ineffable  bounty and the powers of the four elements together beneficial monetary gain rain down upon him .

By the brood of the Bysses of Brightening,
whose God was my sire;
By the Lord of the Flame and the Lightning,
the King of the Spirits of Fire
By the Lord of the Waves and the Waters,
the King of the Hosts of the Sea,
The fairest of all of whose daughters was mother to me;
By the Lord of the Winds and the Breezes,
the King of the Spirits of Air,
In whose bosom the infinite ease is that cradled me there;
By the Lord of the Fields and the Mountains,
the King of the Spirits of Earth
That nurtured my life at his fountains
from the hour of my birth;
 By the Wand and the Cup I conjure;
 By the Dagger and Disk I constrain;
 To you that is sworn to endure;
 Bring him  thy  riches  again  ! " 

71GSrLA8nZL._AC_SY879_.jpg

9550611aa1fd2611b1d6f286a4e812bf.gif

Men_Money_Many_Dollars_Banknotes_Smile_5

Spoiler

PS

Dont walk by any tall buildings for a while ;

safe-falling-on-an-unlucky-cartoon-busin

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Look, I dont really know  , as a practicing magician, for years  and years I have to say it s one of the more difficult 'tricks' .

Qualifier ... I am the biggest dolt in the world about money . I haven;t a clue , I gave it away, lost it  etc . never had much in the first place .  I did all sorts of things to try and manifest it . Nope, 'new age spells' .... nope to 'sensible approach  (because I never had that ).

Then I began to realise, what was manifesting where the things I would have got if I did have money .  EG.  I was desperate to get some to enclose my 'outbuilding'  - a half built house .  Did all the stuff to get the money , but ......  nope . The a few weeks later I get all this free wood !  I lived hand to mouth for a few years, but had fantastic other stuff .   To most it seemed like not much but they where the important things to me .  I had and have a total aversion to debt, so never had any .

Those that observed my 'problem' especially family where always concerned  ; "You gave your stuff away again !  ... what happened to that money ?   Why are you looking after 3 little kids  ?    Why are you sleeping out on your verandah and letting a homeless woman with a new born baby stay in your bed  ... is that YOUR baby ?  "    :D     no ... and why would anyone need to ask a question like that ,

So I eventually gave up and became satisfied with everything I have .  then BOOM !    Money dump !  delayed reaction ?   Coincidence ?

I dont know . As I said , its my worst subject !   All I can say is I hope YOU get a delayed reaction   and one day soon , it comes from a totally unexpected quarter , like mine did .

( but I could try a little nudge for you

< dresses up .... now, where is my wand and disc .....  does preliminaries  , points wand into the air making little circles

" O Invisible King Who, taking the Earth for Foundation, didst hollow its depths to fill them with Thy Almighty Power. Thou Whose Name shaketh the Arches of the World! Thou who causest the Seven Metals to flow through the veins of the rocks! King of the Seven Lights! Rewarder of the subterranean Workers! Lead us into the desirable Air and into the Realm of Splendor. We watch and we labor unceasingly, we seek and we hope, by the twelve stones of the Holy City, by the buried Talismans, by the Axis of the Lodestone which passes through the center of the Earth. O Lord, O Lord, O Lord! Have pity upon those who suffer. Expand our hearts, detach and upraise our minds, enlarge our natures. O Stability and Motion! O Darkness veiled in Brilliance! O Day clothed in Night! O Master who never dost withhold the wages of Thy Workmen! O Silver Whiteness! O Golden Splendor! O Crown of Living and Melodious Diamond! Thou who wearest the Heavens on Thy Finger like a ring of Sapphire! Thou who hidest beneath the Earth in the Kingdom of Gems, the marvelous Seed of the Stars! Live, reign, and be Thou the Eternal Dispenser of the Treasures whereof Thou hast made us the Warders!

Circle build and condense a cloud of fortune over the head of  dmattwads  and by your  ineffable  bounty and the powers of the four elements together beneficial monetary gain rain down upon him .

By the brood of the Bysses of Brightening,
whose God was my sire;
By the Lord of the Flame and the Lightning,
the King of the Spirits of Fire
By the Lord of the Waves and the Waters,
the King of the Hosts of the Sea,
The fairest of all of whose daughters was mother to me;
By the Lord of the Winds and the Breezes,
the King of the Spirits of Air,
In whose bosom the infinite ease is that cradled me there;
By the Lord of the Fields and the Mountains,
the King of the Spirits of Earth
That nurtured my life at his fountains
from the hour of my birth;
 By the Wand and the Cup I conjure;
 By the Dagger and Disk I constrain;
 To you that is sworn to endure;
 Bring him  thy  riches  again  ! " 

71GSrLA8nZL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Men_Money_Many_Dollars_Banknotes_Smile_5

Hide contents

PS

Dont walk by any tall buildings for a while ;

safe-falling-on-an-unlucky-cartoon-busin

Well so much for my sales pitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

I'd only buy a money charm off of a billionaire lol 

You couldn't afford one of THOSE charms.

• Haha 2

Just now, Sketch said:

You couldn't afford one of THOSE charms.

I'd know it worked though lol

3 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

I'd know it worked though lol

If I only did things I knew worked, I'd never have had any fun.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Creation said:

I haven't the vaguest clue about investment.  Any advice on where to start?

It starts with getting an account at a brokerage firm.  Vanguard, Etrade, Fidelity.. there are many and they all do pretty much the same thing.  Over the decades I've found keeping it simple is smartest. 

50% in Index funds, every broker has a cheap version of the S&P500, DOW, QQQ (nasdaq and tech stocks).    

25% in High (or high growth) Dividend stocks.  These will lag the market, but in a solid company you reinvest the dividends,  over time the compounding affect can end up with very impressive return on initial investment.  At a time when banks give .3% interest, after 10 or 20 years you can be earning 10% or much more on your initial investment.  Very nice when retirement comes along.

25% in individual stocks that you like, that have promise.  Keep an eye on these, follow their fundamentals, how their business and segment is doing.  Don't be afraid to knock out a loser or two each year and reinvest in the winners.   Having a couple of big winners that you hold for a long time can be very rewarding.

Keep an eye out for diversifying too.  Don't invest too much in the same industry.  If you want to keep it simpler, don't worry about individual stocks, slide that part into Index funds too.  Long term they are rarely beaten.

Steady long term investment can mean retiring earlier and more comfortably.  You don't need to take chances or be an expert.  Investing steady and early, keeping it simple is imo all you need.. until you're seduced by egoic complexities of protective puts and covered calls..  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

Well so much for my sales pitch.

and I offer my services for free !   ;) 

or you could just do 'candle magic'  .   :)

Apply here ;

Spoiler

For luck in money  ... light a gold candle .

Your account to date ;

Initial contact fee  ;                                                     $70

Advice;                                                                        $100

Supplies  ( one box of magic gold candles  )  ;  $230

Sales tax 10%                                                              $40

----------------

Total ;                                                                            $  440

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dmattwads said:

To be honest I'm not really sure why I feel the way I do about money.

Hmm...

It could also be that you depreciate money because you harbour a negative belief that you can never get much of it anyway.

Sour grapes, you know.

4 minutes ago, Nungali said:

and I offer my services for free !   ;) 

or you could just do 'candle magic'  .   :)

Apply here ;

Hide contents

For luck in money  ... light a gold candle .

Your account to date ;

Initial contact fee  ;                                                     $70

Advice;                                                                        $100

Supplies  ( one box of magic gold candles  )  ;  $230

Sales tax 10%                                                              $40

----------------

Total ;                                                                            $  440

I've sold a mojo hand for twenty five dollars, but it also had the sense of being a curio.

Edited by Sketch

1 minute ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Hmm...

It could also be that you depreciate money because you harbour a negative belief that you can never get much of it anyway.

Sour grapes, you know.

No I don't think that's it. Sour grapes isn't really my style.

• Like 1

I've given more complex charms away; finger bones on a 12 gauge guitar string was the coolest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sketch said:

I've sold a mojo hand for twenty five dollars, but it also had the sense of being a curio.

That the going price for 'hand' around here  too .

A slight diversion;

I gave ( as I dont sell)  these  'Spirit Men' to my indigenous  shaman teacher 

guess what they are  ?

93ueag_rlkbgnG_XY59Nie3XG9-SxZiSCp8rYJ63

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

That the going price for 'hand' around here  too .

A slight diversion;

I gave ( as I dont sell)  these  'Spirit Men' to my indigenous  shaman teacher 

guess what they are  ?

93ueag_rlkbgnG_XY59Nie3XG9-SxZiSCp8rYJ63

Bits of a critter we don't have around here, at a guess.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

No I don't think that's it. Sour grapes isn't really my style.

Would you like to try an exercise involving writing that might help you identify the beliefs that keep you from getting money?

Just now, Nungali said:

Its the skull 'bit'   looking at underside ;

XU4bdm8.jpg

Awesomeness 

3 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Would you like to try an exercise involving writing that might help you identify the beliefs that keep you from getting money?

What is it?

1 minute ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Do you think that the VAST majority of people in the world that dont have much money  have beliefs that stop them getting money ?

Nah !  Its just that the rich have those peoples share of the  money !

There is only so much money ... its a matter of transfer .... we could try  a talismanic  spell   

image.png.00d73e45e6b036081e85f370280a0744.png     $$$$$$$$$    >>>>>>>>>>   image.png.e9b3329b13a980ae2ea2e8bdda6c6687.png

:) 

• Thanks 1