Maddie

What are emotions

Yes, like avoiding the absolute thinking of religious fundamentalism. 

And not bringing that view in to a discussion about emotions. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cleansox said:

Yes, like avoiding the absolute thinking of religious fundamentalism. 

And not bringing that view in to a discussion about emotions. 

Are you saying that if someone hurts you, it is ok and that there needs be no recompense?  Are you saying that you are free to do the same to others?  

2 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

Are you saying that if someone hurts you, it is ok and that there needs be no recompense?  Are you saying that you are free to do the same to others?  

If you read that out of my posts, I suggest you should re-learn the english language. 

Communication is based on mutual understanding, and if you interpret words in that way you might end up in verbal conflicts on, lets say, forums like this. 

And that isn't really constructive. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

If you read that out of my posts, I suggest you should re-learn the english language. 

Communication is based on mutual understanding, and if you interpret words in that way you might end up in verbal conflicts on, lets say, forums like this. 

And that isn't really constructive. 

Hi Cleansox, once upon a time such argumentation puzzled me. Then I came to understand there are people who really believe in an inherent badness which can only be circumvented through religious dogma. For whatever reason they are unable to see what your posts point towards, and will invariably fall back on what you’ve just responded to.

• Like 1

Yes, these things happen. 

But why not start a new thread about that specific subject instead of trying to hijack this one? 

I'm sure someone might be interested in discussing whatever line of morality that was. 

21 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Yes, these things happen. 

But why not start a new thread about that specific subject instead of trying to hijack this one? 

I'm sure someone might be interested in discussing whatever line of morality that was. 

Or perhaps we can redirect this topic as an object lesson into the emotion of anger.

People have a theory.

Someone else disagrees with that theory.

Anger.

Anger leads to arguing with the goal of "winning" (what ever that means).

So what is anger?

image.png.34a02782de96a1c6c34599cf7d7a3386.pngit seems similar to the Wiccan Rede, which embroiders Crowley's "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

1 minute ago, Sketch said:

image.png.34a02782de96a1c6c34599cf7d7a3386.pngit seems similar to the Wiccan Rede, which embroiders Crowley's "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

True cultivation is non-denominational ^_^

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

So what is anger?

One possible reaction when a human being believe he/she is hindered in the accomplishment of getting a reward? 

I'd like to state that, in my view, the difference between emotions and music is that one travels through air, the other through meat. Whatever it is before it gets here, it's still about frequency - about how fast something is thumping, at some level.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I'd like to state that, in my view, the difference between emotions and music is that one travels through air, the other through meat. Whatever it is before it gets here, it's still about frequency - about how fast something is thumping, at some level.

That is hilarious :lol:

On 12/13/2020 at 6:47 AM, dmattwads said:

This might sound like a dumb question since everyone has emotions, but what are they really? 

Feelings in motion ~ but more local... converging to/in...

1 minute ago, dmattwads said:

That is hilarious :lol:

Only because the idea of being made of meat is hilarious.

2 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Only because the idea of being made of meat is hilarious.

But I think it's brilliant also because lately as I've been mindful of what emotions are as I experience them I have noticed a lot of what I call emotions are nothing more than tension in various parts of my body. So basically some meat is less tender than other parts of meat and then meaning gets added to it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

So basically some meat is less tender than other parts of meat and then meaning gets added to it.

Hi dmattwads,

Some meat are vegetarian...

th?id=OIP.9mwosD3NfilJONXpBvsyCwHaGV&pid=Api&P=0&w=216&h=185  th?id=OIP.t3BnHVXgDtnPbnkM2bVPdQHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=298&h=168

Here to your good health... with a tender bite ~

Grandma says ~ chew your meat well... and if not tender ~ chew harder.

Bon Appetit!

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi dmattwads,

Some meat are vegetarian...

And some vegetables become meat

cow-eating-grass-1-of-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 8:57 AM, dmattwads said:

So what is anger?

On 12/14/2020 at 9:11 AM, Cleansox said:

One possible reaction when a human being believe he/she is hindered in the accomplishment of getting a reward? 

That's it?

20 minutes ago, welkin said:

That's it?

Basically yes. Anger is just the inverse of desire.

The Buddha said suffering comes from desire. Either the desire for or the desire against. This desire against is called aversion and anger is one derivative of aversion.

Nah it's not. It can be, but it isn't.

First of all there's no "the buddha". It only reminds of girls who mention their glutes as "the booty". His name is Siddhartha Gautama, and if you want to call him a buddha or buddha i'm cool with it.

There's nothing wrong with desire and there's nothing wrong with suffering. The fact that you want to get rid of desire to rid yourself of suffering is the very reason you will always desire and always suffer.

5 minutes ago, welkin said:

Nah it's not. It can be, but it isn't.

First of all there's no "the buddha". It only reminds of girls who mention their glutes as "the booty". His name is Siddhartha Gautama, and if you want to call him a buddha or buddha i'm cool with it.

There's nothing wrong with desire and there's nothing wrong with suffering. The fact that you want to get rid of desire to rid yourself of suffering is the very reason you will always desire and always suffer.

He didn't say there's anything wrong with desire, not like it's intrinsically evil but he did say it leads to suffering. And this is quite easy to confirm from one's own experience. therefore it's a reasonable conclusion to infer that by letting go of desire one will let go of the cause of suffering.

Edited by dmattwads