Sign in to follow this  
Taomeow

Taoist triva and memorabilia

2020, beginning on January 25th according to the Xia calendar, will be the year of the Yang Metal (White) Rat.

Metal produces Water, and Rat is a Water sign.  So the relationship between the Heavenly Stem (Metal) and Earthly Branch (Water) will be harmonious enough...  with many caveats.  The main problem is of course Yang Metal.  A fierce warrior energy -- strong, arrogant, aggressive, it can manifest as a Terminator...  Arnold was born on a Yang Metal day, by the way, and the list of famous Yang Metal dudes is positively scary -- Alexander the Great, Mohammed Ali, characters like that.  Even Emilia Clarke whose protagonist led huge armies and didn't hesitate to sic her dragons on King's Landing essentially portrayed her real-life Chinese horoscope taken to the movie extreme.  And, just like the Terminator, she is a mixed bag -- she starts out good and ends up bad, while the Terminator starts out as a bad robot and terminates as a good robot.  Such is the Yang Metal warrior -- whether the cause that drives them is noble or ignoble, fierce determination is injected into both.  

Another caveat is that Yang Metal in the Heavenly Stem sits on top of Water in the Earthly Branch.  Yang Metal is not some aluminum foil or manicure scissors or fine gold earrings or a diamond ring -- essentially it's a huge chunk of metal.  A ship.  A battleship.  And the position in 2020 will be rather precarious for it, because Metal lacks the support of its Mother phase, Earth.  So it will be arrogant enough but not at its peak strength -- there will be a lot of bark that won't necessarily result in bite.  The most dangerous time for the bite comes in autumn, Metal's proprietary season when it's at its strongest and can back up any amount of bark with a very sharp and painful bite of its metal teeth.  Let's hope not.              

In the Xia calendar, the Rat is the first of the 12 animals. The Hour of the Rat is also the first and begins a new day (23:00 to 01:00).   24 hours in a day and 12 animals -- so every animal rules 2 hours of every day.  The Rat is unique though in that it is comprised of the “Late Rat” and “Early Rat.” Late Rat rules 23:00 to 0000. As the day changes at 0001, Early Rat begins and lasts until 0100.  So the Rat sign covers two different days—half on a Yang day and half on a Yin day.

The sequence of the animals is interesting in that the order in which they are lined up is based on the number of the animal’s toes (or fingers).  An odd number of toes is Yang and an even number is Yin. While all other animals' front and back legs or paws have the same kind of digits of the same number, the Rat’s front legs have four fingers (Yin) and hind legs have five toes (Yang). This exactly matches the idea that the Rat represents both Yin and Yang.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Are we expecting some ferocious behaviour from both nature and world leaders, do you think?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rara said:

Are we expecting some ferocious behaviour from both nature and world leaders, do you think?

That's very likely.  If we look at the sexagenary cycle of the Xia calendar for parallels -- the last time Yang Metal Rat year took place 60 years ago, and 120 years ago, and 180 years ago and so on -- we can discern the "type" of the year to expect.  There were some major earthquakes in 1960 -- the one in Chile was 9.5 magnitude and triggered a tsunami, killing 1,600 and leaving 2 million homeless.  And another one in Morocco, which was only 5.7 -- seemingly nothing, I lived through a couple of those with no ill effects last year here in CA -- but the one in Morocco struck in a way that killed 15,000 and was the worst in the country's history.  There were also many airline accidents -- that's because Rat (a Water sign) is in a clash with Horse (a Fire sign).  (Airline travel is of the Fire phase.)  This is a personal conflict of the year as well, so anyone who has a Horse anywhere in the Four Pillars will eventually get recommendations in this thread for some measures to take so as to avoid the worst of the clash.

So, world leaders will  be quite themselves only worse this time around -- but protests will also be widespread, and possibly lead to changes -- though I'm not of the opinion that changes "for the better" are to be counted on, more like changes in the name of better and then, down the road, frustration over things not getting better at all, or getting a bit better in some respects at first and a lot worse in most respects later.  In 1960, 17 African countries all declared independence.  We can evaluate the results today...  wounds as deep as what colonial rule leaves behind tend to fester for decades even when it seemingly goes away (key word "seemingly"), and expecting them to heal is probably more than one can count on in another 60.  Cyprus also gained independence from Britain that same year -- only to experience a coup, a Turkish invasion, loss of 40% of the territory, and a declaration of independence by that part which is recognized by only one country in the world to this day -- Turkey.  Don't know if it's a good outcome or a bad one for all involved, but definitely not what the original independence from Britain was trying to accomplish.  So, I expect protests, and possibly some Pyrrhic victories.  But then, what do I know.  I'm just a fortune-telling cat.    

download.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I'm just a fortune-telling cat.    

And I’m a yang metal rat!

🐭

Thanks for the horoscope.

• Like 2

Steve the Terminator has a nice ring to it.  Terminator of injustice, I reckon.  (Or perhaps Terminator of Ignorance, wrathful deity style?)

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:51 AM, Taomeow said:

2020, beginning on January 25th according to the Xia calendar, will be the year of the Yang Metal (White) Rat.

Metal produces Water, and Rat is a Water sign.  So the relationship between the Heavenly Stem (Metal) and Earthly Branch (Water) will be harmonious enough...  with many caveats.  The main problem is of course Yang Metal.  A fierce warrior energy -- strong, arrogant, aggressive, it can manifest as a Terminator...  Arnold was born on a Yang Metal day, by the way, and the list of famous Yang Metal dudes is positively scary -- Alexander the Great, Mohammed Ali, characters like that.  Even Emilia Clarke whose protagonist led huge armies and didn't hesitate to sic her dragons on King's Landing essentially portrayed her real-life Chinese horoscope taken to the movie extreme.  And, just like the Terminator, she is a mixed bag -- she starts out good and ends up bad, while the Terminator starts out as a bad robot and terminates as a good robot.  Such is the Yang Metal warrior -- whether the cause that drives them is noble or ignoble, fierce determination is injected into both.  

Another caveat is that Yang Metal in the Heavenly Stem sits on top of Water in the Earthly Branch.  Yang Metal is not some aluminum foil or manicure scissors or fine gold earrings or a diamond ring -- essentially it's a huge chunk of metal.  A ship.  A battleship.  And the position in 2020 will be rather precarious for it, because Metal lacks the support of its Mother phase, Earth.  So it will be arrogant enough but not at its peak strength -- there will be a lot of bark that won't necessarily result in bite.  The most dangerous time for the bite comes in autumn, Metal's proprietary season when it's at its strongest and can back up any amount of bark with a very sharp and painful bite of its metal teeth.  Let's hope not.              

In the Xia calendar, the Rat is the first of the 12 animals. The Hour of the Rat is also the first and begins a new day (23:00 to 01:00).   24 hours in a day and 12 animals -- so every animal rules 2 hours of every day.  The Rat is unique though in that it is comprised of the “Late Rat” and “Early Rat.” Late Rat rules 23:00 to 0000. As the day changes at 0001, Early Rat begins and lasts until 0100.  So the Rat sign covers two different days—half on a Yang day and half on a Yin day.

The sequence of the animals is interesting in that the order in which they are lined up is based on the number of the animal’s toes (or fingers).  An odd number of toes is Yang and an even number is Yin. While all other animals' front and back legs or paws have the same kind of digits of the same number, the Rat’s front legs have four fingers (Yin) and hind legs have five toes (Yang). This exactly matches the idea that the Rat represents both Yin and Yang.  

We are already at the end of Pig but I’d love to know where you got this because I am a Water Pig and a little insight from retrospect would be helpfully for a less than stellar year for me.

• Like 1

Your question, Earl Grey, is addressed to Taomeow but in the fortune-telling spirit of this thread I hope you´ll indulge me while I put my own psychic powers to the test.  Hmmm...where did Taomeow get the above insights into the year of the Yang Metal Rat?  

(Luke gets out crystal ball.  Wraps himself in purple shawl embroidered with glowing planets and stars.)

Did Taomeow get her information off the web?  This is weird -- nothing is coming up.  Did it come from a book?  I´m not seeing anything.  A real stumper this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Your question, Earl Grey, is addressed to Taomeow but in the fortune-telling spirit of this thread I hope you´ll indulge me while I put my own psychic powers to the test.  Hmmm...where did Taomeow get the above insights into the year of the Yang Metal Rat?  

(Luke gets out crystal ball.  Wraps himself in purple shawl embroidered with glowing planets and stars.)

Did Taomeow get her information off the web?  This is weird -- nothing is coming up.  Did it come from a book?  I´m not seeing anything.  A real stumper this one.

Speaking of divination, I’ll share a pic when my Internet is more stable that will make you smile if you enjoy all creatures furry and small, in this case, my old hamster dressed in a shawl like a fortune teller.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

We are already at the end of Pig but I’d love to know where you got this because I am a Water Pig and a little insight from retrospect would be helpfully for a less than stellar year for me.

Water Pig... :)  Nice animal, and though that's only 1/8th of the information I would need to see for a comprehensive picture, it still contains 1/8th of your answer.   

"Animals" form relationships that are friendly, neutral, or hostile.  The 12 are divided into 4 groups of "three harmonies" -- groups of three animals that cooperate with each other.  We don't just have one "year animal" in our makeup, we have four -- i.e. types of earthly qi present in the year, month, day, hour of our birth.  So, each one of the person's four proprietary animals interacts with the other three (as ally or foe) and with the animal of the year (also of the month, day, hour for a more precise take on each particular moment in spacetime -- but the four proprietary ones are at it constantly.)  And the animal of the given year coinciding with one's animal of the year of birth is not a friend and not an ally.  They are in conflict.  (Which makes sense if one realizes that for all people, their first year of life is the most precarious -- if a baby survived its birth and infancy, statistical chances of death or serious life-damaging developmental adversity go sharply down.  The first year of life, when your tiny "birth animal" meets its huge "earth animal" counterpart of that species, is unsafe.)   Picture rams meeting on a narrow mountain path and butting horns for right-of-way.  Picture two tigers, very territorial animals, encountering each other in a disputed hunting ground.  Picture two boars ("pig" is originally a wild boar, you know, a formidable creature) meeting during a mating season, both focused on the same goal...  you get the picture. 

How badly they clash is determined by a bunch of other factors -- other types of qi: whether they are both male or both female or one male and one female (yin and yang years), and whether their wuxing phases are in a productive, controlling or destructive relationship with the wuxing phase of the year animal.  These and other factors can exacerbate or mitigate the conflict.  In your case, in 2019 it was exacerbated by the wuxing conflict -- your Water Pig meets Earth Pig, and Earth blocks Water in wuxing.  So that's why.  ( Without looking at all other possible peculiarities of the moment, which of course could add all manner of details -- what exactly can go wrong and how one might try to prevent it going wrong, to the extent possible.  Some years are possible to ride out smoothly even if they're full of built-in adversities, but not all years and not for all people.)         

The twelve animals are metaphors that stand for particular types of qi of course, specifically qi of the Earthly Branch.  The qi of the year, i.e. the year animal, will be one stream of one type of qi originating from the earth itself under the conditions of this particular moment in spacetime -- it will be flowing throughout the year, interacting with all other streams -- of the Heavenly Stem, yin-yang, wuxing, bagua, the nine flying stars, etc., in a rather complex manner that matches the complexity of the manifest world.  In the case of an individual, it will interact with all of these energies that formed a particular pattern at the time of birth and keep flowing throughout one's life.  Which is the premise of Chinese astrology -- the complete picture of all kinds of qi present at one's birth is the blueprint for one's developmental history -- and the qi of the birth of the universe, the blueprint for the universe's developmental history.  You can figure out how they resonate when they interact with each other at any moment using taoist sciences. 

So the crystal ball is inside the taoist fortune teller's mind, it grows there from a tiny seed and is cultivated from every angle till it learns how to find its answers.  Which is why an experienced and educated fortune teller in Chinese astrology is a stochastic scientist (an inquirer into probabilities of events), not a recipient of whispers from the spirits and visions in a crystal ball but someone who grills those spirits for answers ("what is the most likely outcome of this and that being such and such?"), in a controlled (by reality itself) study peer-reviewed for thousands of years, in a lab spanning the whole of "above" and "below" and equipped with everything in it, from the motion of the stars above to the temper tantrums of the "world leaders" below. :ph34r: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this