thelerner

The Chinese Communist Revolution

Recommended Posts

@sean Chuang is great! Thaaaaaaaank you for reminding me the name of this journal! I read a great article on Xinjiang there this summer, lost the link, and then for the life of me could not remember what the journal was called and couldn't find it on Google. Look forward to reading some more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Walker said:

@sean Chuang is great! Thaaaaaaaank you for reminding me the name of this journal! I read a great article on Xinjiang there this summer, lost the link, and then for the life of me could not remember what the journal was called and couldn't find it on Google. Look forward to reading some more.

 

❤️ Happy to meet a fellow Chuang reader. I've been really impressed. You might like their recent outline of the Hong Kong uprising. Haven't been able to find much smart, nuanced coverage of that, as it seems more complex to me than typical, Western right/left intuitions.

 

Sean

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sean said:

❤️ Happy to meet a fellow Chuang reader. I've been really impressed. You might like their recent outline of the Hong Kong uprising. Haven't been able to find much smart, nuanced coverage of that, as it seems more complex to me than typical, Western right/left intuitions.

 

Didn't know they'd written about HK. I look forward to reading it (with dread :D). 

 

Crimethinc has an interesting piece on Hong Kong, too. I always feel like such a brainwashed, unwittingly pro-capitalist rube when I read Crimethinc stuff haha...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lest illusions about the Chinese Communist Party persist.

 

None of the bad in here surprised me at all, as I've been following this story closely with dismay and anxiety for several years now, especially I have a friend who is likely to be in or have been in the camps. She is one of the most gentle, kind, passionate, and compassionate people I have ever met. I consider myself lucky to have met many people who are worthy of those adjectives, but she stands out. Fluent in multiple languages including English, she traveled to the US to pursue her medical studies, but without ever entertaining the slightest notion of emigrating from China. Her sole wish was to return to Xinjiang province and provide medical services in a place sorely lacking in well-trained, ethical doctors. Tragically, her having studied overseas and being bilingual will have dramatically increased the chances that she has been interred in the Chinese gulag archipelago built for Uighurs, the Chinese "gray wastes." (Her phone number is disconnected and I have no other way to reach her. In the near future, when my affairs in the PRC have concluded and doing so will not result in my own incarceration, I will begin trying to look for her with help from the overseas Uighur community). 

 

However, there was good news to be seen in this piece.

 

1. This information was provided by a PRC whistle blower. Tremendous risk (certain torture and execution + guaranteed obliteration of their familial wealth and opportunities in a country where punishing family members for a relative's political dissidence is the norm) has been taken by one or more individuals to attempt to blow the lid on Xi Jinping's and Chen Quanguo's secretive planning of these crimes against humanity. 

2. There is evidence of CCP officials who attempted to circumvent Xi and Chen's plans and indeed themselves took tremendous risks in order to free thousands of arbitrarily detained Muslims.

3. Some of this information has filtered back into China as evidenced by the "He Refused" hashtag on Sina Weibo, the PRC Twitter knockoff. Hopefully the 骨氣 displayed by the whistle blower(s) and the NYTimes--as well as countless other people and organizations--will become contagious in China. 

Edited by Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If everything I write in this post and the post above seems ridiculous (or if you're not in the mood for reading all the articles I've linked to), please watch this 30 minute VICE documentary on the cultural genocide being committed in Xinjiang by the CCP. 

 

My last post reminded me to look into something a guy told me while we were sitting on a curb in front of a 7-11 drinking beers the other day. Thanks to this article (with one of the creepiest selfies ever taken) I had known for a year that the CCP has sent over a MILLION low-ranking cadres into Xinjiang to live in the homes of, share beds with, and of course egregiously snitch on Uighur families.

 

However, last week when my friend brought it up he said that recent reporting stated that male cadres were "occupying" the beds of Uighur women whose husbands had been sent to concentration camps. 

 

I mean, nothing should surprise me about a 70-million-strong mafia that sells organs carved directly out of living, conscious humans' bodies (1, 2, 3), but then again...

 

This surprised me. 

 

The claim seems to have arisen from this Radio Free Asia article. There has been wide reporting on the million+ spies sent to live in Uighur homes since last year, with the Associate Press also reporting on the topic.

 

Upon reflection, I should not have been surprised. It would be incredibly naive to expect that 1,000,000+ government spies could be sent to invade the homes of families where one or both parents are prisoners of conscience without sexual crimes being committed. 

 

There is little we can do, perhaps, but not nothing. The subtitle of this article speaks volumes: The Case for Boycotting Beijing 2022 The mass internment of Uyghurs in Xinjiang merits a boycott of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Walker said:

If everything I write in this post and the post above seems ridiculous (or if you're not in the mood for reading all the articles I've linked to), please watch this 30 minute VICE documentary on the cultural genocide being committed in Xinjiang by the CCP. 

 

My last post reminded me to look into something a guy told me while we were sitting on a curb in front of a 7-11 drinking beers the other day. Thanks to this article (with one of the creepiest selfies ever taken) I had known for a year that the CCP has sent over a MILLION low-ranking cadres into Xinjiang to live in the homes of, share beds with, and of course egregiously snitch on Uighur families.

 

However, last week when my friend brought it up he said that recent reporting stated that male cadres were "occupying" the beds of Uighur women whose husbands had been sent to concentration camps. 

 

I mean, nothing should surprise me about a 70-million-strong mafia that sells organs carved directly out of living, conscious humans' bodies (1, 2, 3), but then again...

 

This surprised me. 

 

The claim seems to have arisen from this Radio Free Asia article. There has been wide reporting on the million+ spies sent to live in Uighur homes since last year, with the Associate Press also reporting on the topic.

 

Upon reflection, I should not have been surprised. It would be incredibly naive to expect that 1,000,000+ government spies could be sent to invade the homes of families where one or both parents are prisoners of conscience without sexual crimes being committed. 

 

There is little we can do, perhaps, but not nothing. The subtitle of this article speaks volumes: The Case for Boycotting Beijing 2022 The mass internment of Uyghurs in Xinjiang merits a boycott of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.


We need a disgust or vomit emoji for this. Good luck finding your friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Earl Grey said:


We need a disgust or vomit emoji for this. Good luck finding your friend.

 

_/\_ Thank you. The scary thing is, made very clear in the VICE documentary, that trying to help anybody there may very well make their lives worse. Even sending a damn "Thinking of You" Hallmark card from the US would be dangerous. And yet. Keeping people convinced that the best course of action is to throw one's hands in the air in resignation and walk away from responsibility for our shared humanity is the grand project of CCP brainwashing in a single sentence. Probably better to enter the fray and risk making grievous mistakes than to consign ourselves to guaranteed failure for lack of even trying. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Walker said:

 

_/\_ Thank you. The scary thing is, made very clear in the VICE documentary, that trying to help anybody there may very well make their lives worse. Even sending a damn "Thinking of You" Hallmark card from the US would be dangerous. And yet. Keeping people convinced that the best course of action is to throw one's hands in the air in resignation and walk away from responsibility for our shared humanity is the grand project of CCP brainwashing in a single sentence. Probably better to enter the fray and risk making grievous mistakes than to consign ourselves to guaranteed failure for lack of even trying. 

 

See, back in the day, we made our presence known through Amnesty International--we helped free Rebiyah Kadeer (spelling?) through a vigorous letter-writing campaign, and at the time, it worked because the pressure of the world knowing seemed to be enough. Nowadays, with the surveillance state, naming any individual as you said is a death sentence for them and their loved ones. 

 

A kind of world like this makes me go between the hopeless despair of Creed's "What's this life for?" and the righteous anger of "One". 

 

Let us know how and if we can help you in any way. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting.  An old neighbor of mine, grew up in China.  Attached herself to a Christian group who sponsored her, leaving in her early teens to the US.  Married a man of similar background, did well, had 2 kids.  Then surprisingly, 20 years later, they moved back to China.  Said there was opportunity there.  Maybe your homeland is in your blood. 

 

I suppose if you keep your head down, go with the government flow, live in the right region you don't get by so affected by, not a nanny state, but the bully state; our way or well you're f*cked.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have for some decades now, been wondering when the Chinese oppressed would awaken enmasse and how intense the resulting backlash would be against the machine...  i shudder in empathy... it's utterly horrifying, the implications of it.

 

And as my experience of our politics elucidate and reveal our spiritual inclinations as nations and tribes... I have mulled rather sincerely, and increasingly over the last 23 years, the notion of relocating my family out of the US and back to Norway.  With each story I read of their lifestyle, I find it resonates with my own sense of life.  Perhaps @thelerner is correct and the blood calls us home.

 

So far, it's an amorphous visage... yet it is ever present... and grows in clarity with each perusal of what passes for 'news' these days.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 11:16 AM, thelerner said:

It's interesting.  An old neighbor of mine, grew up in China.  Attached herself to a Christian group who sponsored her, leaving in her early teens to the US.  Married a man of similar background, did well, had 2 kids.  Then surprisingly, 20 years later, they moved back to China.  Said there was opportunity there.  Maybe your homeland is in your blood. 

 

I suppose if you keep your head down, go with the government flow, live in the right region you don't get by so affected by, not a nanny state, but the bully state; our way or well you're f*cked.   

 

It is much more complicated than blood... and you're f*cked...  'Opportunity' is  very close.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites