Patrick Brown

Facebook Should Be Shut Down!

3 hours ago, rideforever said:

Watch this 3 times :

Might as well admit it, you're addicted to love. 

😉

Actually, I prefer when the speaker refers to themsef rather than says WE, for this kind of thing. It just reads better.

"I have no talent , So I am on the phone 24/7 because it makes me less miserable. I should instead concentrate on all those dull moments when there's nothing to do, so I can tell myself I am a genius ,Like Skinner, who accidentally placed the wire in the wrong part of the rats brain. "

What the speaker fails to understand, is that , while there Are people of extra-ordinary talent,  .

....the exact same mechanism is at play in the compulsive phone users , which makes for the persistence needed to Become exceptional at something.. stubborn intermittent reinforcement.

Edited by Stosh

32 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Might as well admit it, you're addicted to love. 

😉

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 10:39 PM, Nintendao said:

All I know is that the moment I deactivated my FB account, I literally felt like a weight was lifted off of me that I didn't even realize was there. Something haunting that f'n place.

Facebook has real power. Stepping back to balance yourself, now and then, strikes me as a good strategy.

• Like 1

I particularly noted the experiment on the rat where he kept on stimulating himself until dropping dead.

And the conditioning of humans through repeated stimulation, and also the way app developers design the apps in a certain way to harness the addiction response ... which is true as I have developed such software and that's exactly what we did, addicting the customers was our #1 consideration and much time was spent on planning it.

It is simply a stimulus response device interacting withe neural network of the customer.

(I don't care about becoming world class ... that's not of interest to me.)

Its too bad Facebooks gets so hyperpartisan, but thats people and the current atmosphere.  I find it a good tool for keeping up with some old friends and a few groups.  Its the only avenue to keep in touch with a few of them. 

I probably use it once every week or two.  New tools tend to be misused.  I'm hoping once newness settles down, a bit more civility and control settles in.  In the 50's and 60's when the number of cars exploded, kids/teens would circle the neighborhood in caravans; driving in long circles.  Kinda pointless, but it was new, gas was cheap, and why not. 

It takes time, but often silly, pointless things, like arguing with strangers, thinking it means or changes anything, dies down.  People wise up naturally.  Though it takes awhile.  Perhaps at some point even the echo chambers will quit so much echoing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thelerner said:

Its too bad Facebooks gets so hyperpartisan, but thats people and the current atmosphere.  I find it a good tool for keeping up with some old friends and a few groups.  Its the only avenue to keep in touch with a few of them.

still looking up at them leaves and branches :D

2 hours ago, MooNiNite said:

facebook is dying. there is no need to shut it down.

Instagram however is on the rise..

Instagram... owned by FB  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We'll get back to the original post about FB inciting violence and murder later but for now:

Facebook 'to be fined $5bn over Cambridge Analytica scandal'

US regulators have approved a record $5bn (£4bn) fine on Facebook to settle an investigation into data privacy violations, reports in US media say.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has been investigating allegations that political consultancy Cambridge Analytica improperly obtained the data of up to 87 million Facebook users.

The settlement was approved by the FTC in a 3-2 vote, sources told US media.

Facebook and the FTC told the BBC they had no comment on the reports.

Read i full: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48972327 

giphy-downsized.gif

Edited by Patrick Brown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw a funny bit regarding FB's cia-coin...I mean, Libra...

Cryptocurrencies such as Libra risk upsetting the world’s financial system if they are not regulated tightly, G7 finance ministers have warned.

According to Reuters, French finance minister Bruno Le Maire told a news conference on July 18 that the G7 “cannot accept private companies issuing their own currencies without democratic control.”

Which is a supreme irony, because CENTRAL BANKS ARE PRIVATE COMPANIES ISSUING THEIR OWN CURRENCIES WITHOUT DEMOCRATIC CONTROL

• Like 1

D_7KSmXXYAAjHB8.jpg

which will also be appropriate for el chapo (done), epstein, the clintons, obamas, feinstein, pelosi, schumer, and others who "took" less like ryan.

but it'll also be appropriate for Rothschilds, Soros...

• Like 1