Buddy

Ah, it's the same old...

So I took a break and now it's this dao zhan guy pimping his shit or....whomever the next one will be. Threadjumper jacking on the Chia folks or Hung herng jumping on The Italian guy, or the Max cult. Stand up and grow some. The Truth® is already there. Don't look for powers or wizards or brujos. Who are you? Who are you? Are you the you that is asking? Then who is asking that whom? If you observe yourself asking, who is that first you asking? Go after every layer and ask, "Who am I?" And ask,"Who is asking?"

YMMV

Ah, Mal

You're going to have to be a little more specific. Who are you? And who is asking who? Are you "Mal"? Who were you before you were named and considered Mal? Who were you before that?

Who's asking?

It's interesting that you take offense. Who is it that is taking offense? Is it the you that you have come to see yourself as? Is that you? Is that who you were ten years ago? In thirty years will you take offense?

Who's asking?

Edited by Buddy

Who's asking?

It's interesting that you take offense. Who is it that is taking offense? Is it the you that you have come to see yourself as? Is that you? Is that who you were ten years ago? In thirty years will you take offense?

Who's asking?

I like you Buddy humble agressive. Nice mix :)

These are the questions I am asking myself. Maybe they are too hard. These questions are like a thorn in the heel.

I worked with this type of inqurey quite a bit the last couple years when I was heavy into Adyashanti. It's definetly interesting. Where it took me-if I can even say-is a place where the catogorizing or seeking mind essentially "stopped" and in this original state, what some advaita teachers call your natural state or a Zen teacher might call your face before your parents were born-things are seen just as they are.

I consider myself a big time beginner at all of this but in a way I look at seing things just as they are-or suchness-a very high attainment. I have my moments-but inevitably the scattered, thinking, emotional mind creeps back in.

I think the way Taoists describe it is your higher mind regaining control of yourself. But in a way I do prefer the simplicity of Advaita and Zen. So simple and to the point. Who am I?

Who are you? Who are you? Are you the you that is asking? Then who is asking that whom? If you observe yourself asking, who is that first you asking? Go after every layer and ask, "Who am I?" And ask,"Who is asking?"

Here we go! Nice...

:)

If I define who I am, I will be wrong. If you define who I am, you will be wrong. Who I am is a judgment. Then who is the judge?

I am trying not to judge, just to be. :rolleyes:

Very good, Taoists are not so emotionally and spiritually handicapped that they concern themselves with those useless, ridiculous, Buddhist questions that the original poster spewed.

Edited by Starjumper7

Stand up and grow some.

Will a forum ever grow up? Ther will be new people coming in, old people dropping out, same discussions over and over, same questions and comments asked by new people over and over, and the people who has discussed them many times before wont even bother to interrupt.

I dont know. Ive not been long with thetaobums, so maby you have grown as a forum over the years?

Yeah actually who am i and what the heck am i doing here lol ? :mellow:

Hope i dont get squeezed between all those layers of consciousness :blink:

Very good, Taoists are not so emotionally and spiritually handicapped that they concern themselves with those useless, ridiculous, Buddhist questions that the original poster spewed.

Oxymoron: an Emotionally Ept Daoist. Another one: Useless Buddhist Questions.

Really interesting.. Do you know how much Buddhism shaped Daoism in China? Did you know that certain aspects of Daoism are similar to that of the Brahman Religion? I'm sure you know that Buddhism took many words from the Daoists...only because there was nothing equivalent in normal speech to carry over the Sanskrit meanings...so they used certain Cultivation words in different context because one word in Chinese has many uses, given its context. Quan Zhen Dao was shaped by both Buddhism and Confucianism.

I have met some dumb Daoist Monks in China, and Pop-Daoist people out here in the U.S. I have also met some Ignorant Buddhists in both countries. Funny thing is, despite Daoist or Buddhist, people will never get 100% of any of them as long as they hold onto views about them. And even then, its not certain they will actually "understand".

Lastly, its funny how you say these questions of concern are useless and ridiculous. I understand that people over the years have used those things to look like great masters. I agree many people have abused it from the Buddhist school. Daoists are no better.

But you are right..it is useless, and ridiculous, but only to those who can't use it.

Just remember there is a function to investigating the mind with those questions. If one were to investigate Dhyana/Chan/Zen, sincerely, they would come to understand the function of those questions.

Knocking Buddhism, knocks Daoism, knocks Islam, knocks Catholocism, knocks Judaism, knocks....etc, etc, etc.

Peace and Blessings ,

Lin

A self by any other name is still ego...a view of separation, s more "truer manner of mind; superior views.

Drop it all ^_^

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

This regressive 'who am I?' question is useful in context... it certainly brings you to emptiness/stillness. However - this a forum - this is a place for establishing relationships, for stimulating expressiveness, emotion and creativity. You're kidding yourself if you think that a post on a forum will bring stillness... it's quite obviously an emotionally motivated 'game'...

These are the questions I am asking myself. Maybe they are too hard. These questions are like a thorn in the heel.

Focusing and asking - who am I - stops the mind. A good tool for self inquiry and meditation.

You will know who you are by this simple method.