Sign in to follow this  
steve

Book Selection for March

OK, let's begin to get some suggestions for what to read in March for discussion in April.

We've had one suggestion already -

Clear Light of Bliss: The Practice of Mahamudra in Vajrayana Buddhism by Kelsang Gyatso

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Light-Bliss-Ma...8638&sr=1-6

I will add one of my own:

To Be Human by Jiddu Krishnamurti

Krishnamurti was a very famous speaker in the mid and late 20th century whose focus was for each of us, as individuals, to find our own path to the truth by, essentially, learning to understand our thought process and thereby discovering where our sense of individuality comes from. His roots are in Vedanta Advaita but he broke from all traditions and methods and emphasized the importance of finding one's own truth. Since we've briefly touched on his work recently in another thread I thought it might be timely to suggest this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Be-Human-Jiddu-Krish...8535&sr=8-1

Either book would be fine. I might prefer Krishnamurtis book because I think the Light of Bliss is more practice oriented whereas K.'s book (I think) is more philosophy. It might be better to go w/ Practice type, philosophy type, fun type then back to practice. This might stop the practice dujour orientation.

Give a person at least 2 or 3 months to see if a practice resonates. Month to month books full of exercises might burn people out.

Just a thought.

Michael

Any thoughts on a Fun book suggestion?

Either book would be fine. I might prefer Krishnamurtis book because I think the Light of Bliss is more practice oriented whereas K.'s book (I think) is more philosophy. It might be better to go w/ Practice type, philosophy type, fun type then back to practice. This might stop the practice dujour orientation.

Give a person at least 2 or 3 months to see if a practice resonates. Month to month books full of exercises might burn people out.

Just a thought.

Michael

Any thoughts on a Fun book suggestion?

Excellent suggestion - I agree with alternating themes and will try and incorporate that into the selection process somehow.

Krishnamurti's To Be Human is spiritual/philosophical but the reader is asked to participate in reaching their own conclusions. Not exactly a practice but your mind will probably play with the ideas moving forward - it had a profound impact on my thinking.

There is a huge selection of good stuff out there, I'm looking forward to seeing suggestions

..just pasting my post into the relevant thread...

Personally I'd rather start with a more general book. Something along the lines of

The Shambhala Guide to Taoism. By Eva Wong.

I think it would give a nice introduction, setting up the stage for the future books. Somehow after this we can see where each book belong in the Taoist millenarian tradition.

Looks like the Luk book is already chosen as the first one (which is fine by me), but I like the idea of the Eva Wong book, Taoism overview. She has a good rep. I don't own it, but would go out and get it if we club it. Count me in for a vote for that book, whenever it works out.

... by Kelsang Gyatso.
I've always had an aversion to Kelsang Gyatso: his picture kind of creeps me out and I avoid his books. (Not to make a big deal out of it or anything.) The topics of that book are, basically, the six yogas of naropa and mahamudra. There are other sources for those topics if anyone wants to look a little. Just my two cents. I think the whole book club idea is really healthy, and anything that gets chosen is a step forward imo. :)

Eva Wong book, Taoism overview.

Interested in both of these, I like the bits I have read out of Krishnamurti's books, but don't own any. Also like Eve Wongs translations (I have 7 Taoist immortals), an overview could be good (since I don't really know what a Taoist is) Have not heard of Kelsang Gyatso before

Great idea having a month to discuss what is next, and a month to read it. Looking forward to hearing what everyone is interested in.

I have 'To Be Human by Jiddu Krishnamurti' on its way to the UK from the US after Steve's recommendation. So this would be my preference.

Alternating between theory and practice books is a great decision as I lean more to theory but this gives the best for everyone.

If the book is chosen, I will make a real effort to write down my thoughts and views on the book and compile them into something readable. It might help other people reading it and also people here could answer questions that I may have.

I think interacting this way between ourselves is really healthy. Its great to post in the forum but that does get a little dull sometimes.

I haven't had the opportunity to share my thoughts about the books I read so I am looking forward to this.

..just pasting my post into the relevant thread...

Looks like the Luk book is already chosen as the first one (which is fine by me), but I like the idea of the Eva Wong book, Taoism overview. She has a good rep. I don't own it, but would go out and get it if we club it. Count me in for a vote for that book, whenever it works out.

I've always had an aversion to Kelsang Gyatso: his picture kind of creeps me out and I avoid his books. (Not to make a big deal out of it or anything.) The topics of that book are, basically, the six yogas of naropa and mahamudra. There are other sources for those topics if anyone wants to look a little. Just my two cents. I think the whole book club idea is really healthy, and anything that gets chosen is a step forward imo. :)

Haha Kelsang freaks you out eh? I have an old taoist taichi vid with Eva. She is not really how I imagined her to look haha :P.

Michael,

I think you are right that Clear Light might be a bit heavy after Taoist Yoga. I already have Eva's book, but have not read it. But I am also interested in reading about Krishnamurti based on the snippets I have read about him. Kind of the anti-guru. I would be totally fine with either suggestion.

I'd be up for any of Krishnamurti's works, its been a long while since I've read him.

I've never really connected with Gyatso Rinpche's writings, but I haven't really connected to the whole Gelug path in general. From the tibetan side of things I'd suggest Nakhai Norbu's Dzogchen Teachings or Dream Yoga.

There is also a great book call Blazing Splendor by Erik Kunsang on the life and teachings of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. Tulku Urgyen was an amazing teacher of mahamudra / dzogchen.

This one is going into my "to buy" list for next payday

Original Tao: Inward Training (Nei-yeh) and the Foundations of Taoist Mysticism by Harold D. Roth

that's funny. I like him from his picture!

Clear Light of Bliss has what I think are FANTASTIC practises in it. What would cover the same ground and not give you the creeps?

I think people would love the practises.

Atm (the last 4 weeks now) im rereading "clear light of bliss" and trying to integrate it in current practice.

Its a very intresting book although i have to follow he's words exactly to understand what he means, and even then my guess is that im only moving over the surface wich is logical.

Nice book tbh.

Anyone read Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life (Paperback)

by Ming-dao Deng (Author) It's basic but personally didn't like it, although I read that the second half is better I didn't get that far.

http://www.amazon.com/Scholar-Warrior-Intr..._sim_b_title_47

I'm guessing Original Tao: Inward Training (Nei-yeh) by Harold D. Roth would probably cause similar problems to Taoist Yoga, Same with Secret of the Golden Flower or Practical Taoism or The Inner Teachings of Taoism Thomas Cleary (Translator)

Is there a "best" reference book to help decipher these sort of books that someone could recomend?

Pages 99 to 115 and 172 to 190 sound ok in Guide to Taoism

Anyone read Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life (Paperback)

by Ming-dao Deng (Author) It's basic but personally didn't like it, although I read that the second half is better I didn't get that far.

http://www.amazon.com/Scholar-Warrior-Intr..._sim_b_title_47

I'm guessing Original Tao: Inward Training (Nei-yeh) by Harold D. Roth would probably cause similar problems to Taoist Yoga, Same with Secret of the Golden Flower or Practical Taoism or The Inner Teachings of Taoism Thomas Cleary (Translator)

Is there a "best" reference book to help decipher these sort of books that someone could recomend?

Pages 99 to 115 and 172 to 190 sound ok in Guide to Taoism

When i started to realize how deep the rabbit hole goes on the topic of Taoism. I felt Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life was just horrible book! Yet, looking back at the book and when i read it I found it did make some clear sense about things that are extremely basic and well said in the book. I feel like the book gives you the most basic of the basic stuff the most simplistic of talk about these things. I do disagree with some things said in the book (which are beliefs or practices) yet you can't say all things are 100% good.

Side note: I did learn to respect different practices for their specific reasons that they're practiced. I am however extremely opinionated in some practices.

I have that book, and i have read most of it. Honestly I must admit I skipped a chatper or two because i felt the subject wasn't something I was interested at the time. I truly and honestly believe that you should have experience in what the book is explaining so you can apply the understanding of better philosophy or practices or experiences into your own everyday practice. But i can clearly say that I've read over 80% of the book. Though I feel the book is extremely basic i do think it is a good book. I would happy reread it with everyone if they choose that this book. I'm interested in other suggestions also... (My vote isn't for that book in the march for clarification)

Mal, if you wanna talk about that book we could talk about it in PM for the time being... i am interested to know why you didn't like it as a book. There are some extremely interesting things for the beginner on some subjects (that are considered part of Taoism) in the second half of the book.

(I gotta go looking for where my Scholar Warrior book is)

Mal, if you wanna talk about that book we could talk about it in PM for the time being... i am interested to know why you didn't like it as a book. There are some extremely interesting things for the beginner on some subjects (that are considered part of Taoism) in the second half of the book.

(I gotta go looking for where my Scholar Warrior book is)

Might be a bit hard, I know where "mine" is, still in the bookstore in Brisbane :) I read it for about 1/2 an hour but it just didn't grab me, good enough to flip through but to general with not enough meat to be worth buying IMHO. Also fliped through Barefoot Doctor's Handbook for the Urban Warrior by Stephen Russell and wanted to read Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior by Stephen Russell but they were out of stock

at the time also in the bookstore were :-

Immortal Combat, Bruce Thomas (good read, I like all of Bruce Thomas' books)

The Making of a Butterfly, Phillip Starr (excellent)

(I like to read books about people)

When the Shoe fits, Osho (excellent)

Art of Peace, Morihei Ueshiba (trans J Stevens) (Classic)

Bin-fa:Martial Arts Strategy Sun Tzu (trans Garry Gagliardi) (a trans I had not read, o.k. but a bit expensive)

And I even chose a questionable Ninja book over it Mind Control by Dr Haha Lung :)

Forgot about Practical Taoism by Thomas Cleary looked through it on the same holiday. Not an easy book to understand, similar to Taoist Yoga.

Put back Hua Hu Ching: Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu, by Brian Walker too, had not heard of it at the time *blush*

Also fliped through Barefoot Doctor's Handbook for the Urban Warrior by Stephen Russell and wanted to read Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior by Stephen Russell but they were out of stock

I'm not following you around Mal, honest :blink: Just saw a favourite little book of mine mentioned and had to leap in. I've got a bit confused as to how many books are mentioned in your quote (aren't they all the same one?) but I have this one: BFD's Handbook for the Urban warrior: A Spiritual survival guide.

It's very, very easy and most people on here would have left this behind many years ago but for a real beginner it's great fun and really gets you there quickly with some simple exercises. His jokey style makes some people ill but I reckon it has turned a lot of people on to Taoism. It's very 'young' and he's going for hip and trendy but I turn to it when I feel bad and it always helps. Remember, I AM a beginner so I will probably be berated for liking such low level stuff :rolleyes: It's far too easy for a bookclub read.

He's got a website but you have to pay so I stick with the book.

O.k. :ph34r: checking for stalkers :)

You're quite safe :P Ah, thanks. I had a look round and a couple of people thought that if you had the Urban Warrior one you'd probably read the best one and the others were mostly the same. He used to be on telly here in the UK, very fun to watch.

Edited by Onigiri

Do you have to do anything to join the book club? If my vote counts, I'd like the Tao overview...

Hi. As far as I know (xuesheng said yesterday) this is the latest.

"I don't want things to get too complicated. Here's how I propose we work this out. We currently have 3 possible book suggestions. The floor is open for additional recommendations. On Wednesday, I'll create a poll with no more than 5 selections and we'll vote. We'll close the poll on Saturday and have our selection. In the interim, Pietro's idea of listing your choices of a basic, introductory text on Daosim in order of preference, #1 being the highest, would be a good way to generate the poll options.

Does that sound fair?

Thanks for all the input, everybody."

Do you have to do anything to join the book club? If my vote counts, I'd like the Tao overview...

You just did it. Read the pinned up note, join in and welcome aboard!

:)

Here are suggestions so far for our next book.

I'm going to move this along so everyone has time to get it by early March.

Here are suggestions so far. I will put together a poll in the next few days, if necessary, so that we can vote and choose by mid February. That'll give our international friends 2 - 3 weeks to get their books.

Here's what we've got so far:

Clear Light of Bliss: The Practice of Mahamudra in Vajrayana Buddhism by Kelsang Gyatso

Let me remind everyone to please make one suggestion per month and make it very clear in your post in the book selection threads. Please don't flood these with lots of book names.

I don't want to get the book selection threads to be too confusing.

I'll leave the very first thread I posted, Book Club Anyone?, open indefinitely for general discussion about books.

Thanks for your cooperation everybody.

PS For those who have been voicing concern about reading stuff outside of Daoism, my experience has been that you find gems in the most unexpected places and they can affect you in most unexpected ways. I hope as many of you as possible will join us on this journey together. Who knows, we may learn something, and we may even have some fun doing it.

Cheers!

Here's what we've got so far:

Let me remind everyone to please make one suggestion per month and make it very clear in your post in the book selection threads. Please don't flood these with lots of book names.

I don't want to get the book selection threads to be too confusing.

Cheers!

So, is this the book selection thread? Hahaha! I'm easily confused.

Both the books mentioned so far are great, I'd be happy with either, but if you want us to give a suggestion of our own to give a wider choice I would put forward

'The Tao of Physics' by Fritjof Capra

because it looks interesting but I might need help to understand it. If this is posted in the wrong place, give me a yell.

Edited by Onigiri

So, is this the book selection thread? Hahaha! I'm easily confused.

Both the books mentioned so far are great, I'd be happy with either, but if you want us to give a suggestion of our own to give a wider choice I would put forward

'The Tao of Physics' by Fritjof Capra

because it looks interesting but I might need help to understand it. If this is posted in the wrong place, give me a yell.

I would honestly have preferred to have a bit more time. Once we were inside the Eva Wong book before deciding what the next book would be. Following the (yes, personal) idea that first we would study the history, then we would go deeper into the teachings of a particular period/school/tradition. But I might be alone in wanting this kind of Taoist point of view.

I basically don't care if there are wonderful books out there. I think if they are not in (or about) the taoist tradition I have no interest to read them. It is not closed mindedness. It is just guarding the little time I have, and focusing on one thing in the little time I have on this world.

In any case I do have Eva Wong with me. At the end of each chapter she suggests some books to go deeper in that topic. I will write down some of them, and report tomorrow.

I would honestly have preferred to have a bit more time. Once we were inside the Eva Wong book before deciding what the next book would be. Following the (yes, personal) idea that first we would study the history, then we would go deeper into the teachings of a particular period/school/tradition. But I might be alone in wanting this kind of Taoist point of view.

I basically don't care if there are wonderful books out there. I think if they are not in (or about) the taoist tradition I have no interest to read them. It is not closed mindedness. It is just guarding the little time I have, and focusing on one thing in the little time I have on this world.

I agree with Pietro.

I think that if you want a book club that is for krishnamurti or other books of interest that arent Strictly Taoist, then a potential possibility is to open a different book club branch for that.

We have enough members to fuel more than one book club, and I'm sure a lot of members, like me, read more than one book at a time.

just a thought. ;)