Chang

A Comprehensive Guide to Daoist Nei Gong

I've read the book in question - but then I don't practice Nei Gong - but I do like to look around here and there for helpful ideas.  I agree with some of the criticisms above like 'energy of Dao' being waffle words.  As to the exercises being like warm up - apart from wuji posture and some basic sitting meditation there aren't any exercises in the book - so I think that is unfair.

He is quite honest about his own experiences which he recounts in detail - which is unusual for a writer on this subject - and he also honest when he gets to higher level stuff about his own achievements.

I found the whole thing quite interesting and well written (though a bit repetitive) - I wouldn't follow it for practice but then I wouldn't follow any book.  I don't follow books I read them :)  If you are like me and just like to assimilate information from various sources then give it a go.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2018 at 8:38 AM, Taoist Texts said:

Absolutely. His books are garbage.

On 08/12/2018 at 4:58 AM, vonkrankenhaus said:

Building on the incorrect "foundation" of the other one?

He doesn't understand Daoism.
Doesn't understand what Qi is.

Doesn't know what YinYang is.

And he is teaching people who don't know these either.

What books would you both recommend ?

1 hour ago, ronko said:

What books would you both recommend ?

depends on what your goals are. Can you define those?

5 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

Instead of reading Mitchell's book I would have thought - so what would you recommend for Nei Gong?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Apech said:

so what would you recommend for Nei Gong?

I donno;). for starters i would recommend take a moment and think about this factoid from the chinese wiki

https://baike.baidu.com/item/内功/8500204

历史由来编辑
有关内外功的说法没有正式的纪录可以考据....

historically there are no authentic records of NEI GONG, or wai gong...

中国武侠小说里描述的内功应该诞生于1932年

the notion of NEI GONG in chinese 'knight errant' novels was born in 1932..

In other words, NeiGong is modern fantasy, hence my question on the end goal of reading: health , spiritual, martial, cultural?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

I donno;). for starters i would recommend take a moment and think about this factoid from the chinese wiki

In other words, NeiGong is modern fantasy, hence my question on the end goal of reading: health , spiritual, martial, cultural?

Thanks.  Do you mean the term 'Nei Gong' or the actual principles and practices?

8 minutes ago, Apech said:

Thanks.  Do you mean the term 'Nei Gong' or the actual principles and practices?

This one is a good question. Because one would think they made up a term to designate a bunch of pre-existing genuine practices, right? Unfortunately not).

The hysterical reality is that they also made up a whole plethora of fake crap and called that nei-gong. The term sounds kinda-sorta genuine and the practices also sort of look real. Rather amusingly, they both are a sham.

31 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

I suppose health leading onto spiritual , very interesting about the neigong ,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

This one is a good question. Because one would think they made up a term to designate a bunch of pre-existing genuine practices, right? Unfortunately not).

The hysterical reality is that they also made up a whole plethora of fake crap and called that nei-gong. The term sounds kinda-sorta genuine and the practices also sort of look real. Rather amusingly, they both are a sham.

Do you mind saying what it is that you practice?

1 hour ago, Apech said:

Do you mind saying what it is that you practice?

not at all. I do neidan/alchemy, also play some taiji.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

I would second this author, also Mantack Chia.

https://www.amazon.com/Special-Taoist-Taiji-Stick-Qigong/dp/B0019TPE34

Mantak chia ! blooming 'ell hes hopeless !

the book you linked to is Wang feng ming and is what i currently practice , he teaches a system called special taoist qi gong, there is the internal dan you learn first then the external dan,  son in law of grandmaster feng who created the hunyuan system which is classified as nei gong and was taught by grandmaster hu  Yaozhen , and theres no way these guys were fakers! .

edi

Edited by ronko

9 minutes ago, ronko said:

Mantak chia ! blooming 'ell hes hopeless !

the book you linked to is Wang feng ming and is what i currently practice , he teaches a system called special taoist qi gong, there is the internal dan you learn first then the external dan,  son in law of grandmaster feng who created the hunyuan system which is classified as nei dan.

The more people read Mantak Chia the more people we get on here saying how they screwed themselves up.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Apech said:

The more people read Mantak Chia the more people we get on here saying how they screwed themselves up.

But its only because they do not think happy thoughts

• Haha 1

Mantak Chia is teaching real stuff - but I am not seeing that he really understands it completely in his books.

He has maybe one big book worth of actual translated material - the rest is all filler, and some of it is incorrect.

Taoist Yoga book is also teaching real stuff - but just has a few errors.

Yang Jwing Ming book I mentioned has good beginner info - and where he runs out of experience and theorizes, he does state that's what he is doing, so okay.

For 3 years recently I am looking at all these books that have come out. In the 70s we didn't have any like this at all. I had no idea. Much fun to see - but people will get confused. They ARE confused. Books shouldn't confuse. They should inform.

-VonKrankenhaus

So what are the kind of practices he used to get, for example, feeling in the Lower Dantian leading up to vibration?

• Like 1

Damo is very practical and presents things as they are seen from an "indoor" perspective. I've been fortunate to only learn from indoor perspectives in person and this matches well and illuminates things for me. It all comes down to practice and this book does not provide that. Instead, it provides a lot of very good information about neigong from Damo's very well informed perspective. For years I was lost in the dark trying to learn from videos and books after my old taiji teacher was deported. All that reading and watching was a huge waste of time - if only I had found someone to meet with in person. After I showed my teacher Damo's book he encouraged me to go study with Damo - he said that Damo is probably a very nice person based on what he's seen and that he is showing stuff you won't get from DVDs and books alone.