Aletheia

What is meant by "heart"?

I actually considered posting to it at the very beginning but opt out.  Maybe things would have ended differently had I posted.

On October 26, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Aletheia said:

I have seen the heart associated with the MDT, the kidneys, shen and something above the head too.

I was just reading this -

Movement produces Yang-Qi. Stillness produces Yin-Qi. The yang breath descends from the Heart or the brain and the yin breath rises upwards from the Kidneys.

http://www.internalartsinternational.com/free/daoist-meditation-lesson-seven-theory-the-three-treasures-and-the-circulation-of-water-and-fire/

I literally have no clue what people are talking about when they say "heart"!

Since Taoist medicine and theory are curiosities to this board- both in that people discuss so much of it without knowledge of its fundamentals and because it seems many may also truly have interest to know, I am replying to this thread to give a general overview of the concept of "Heart" .

According to the theories of Taoist medicine, “heart” refers to the physiological organ manifestation formed from the phase of essences in fire (often mis-refered to as an "element"), and all the spiritual, physical, and energetic constructs that it is associated. So, “heart” is not necessarily one thing. And when reading Taoist health manuals or texts, it is valuable to understand what aspects or qualities of heart and its relationships they are referencing, in order to be specific and not just general. It would be a very long conversation to address ‘what is heart’, so I provide only a vey brief and introductory overview, with minimal or no explanation to its historical development, meaning, value, or application:

Question #1: What is “heart”?

Answer: (see below)

BASIC STATE

The name of the heart in Chinese medicine is 心 or  Xīn

Also known as: The Emperor 

Fire organ- which is fundamentally an essence that becomes the physical element we witness

Yin organ- of which there are five in total 

Zang organ- also known as a “hollow organ” of which there are five in total

Emotion: Joy

Flavor: Bitter

Sound: Laughter

Governs: circulation, blood vessels, mind

Fluid: sweat

Orifice: tip of tongue

Houses the spirit: shen - a word that means all of the following: spirit, soul, light, intellect, mind, consciousness

(Note: there are five "little shens"- the spirits, and one "great shen"- the soul, of which the four other little shens reside in other yin organs not discussed here)

Astrological placement:

Hours: 11am- 1pm

Animal: ma- or horse

Season: summer

Direction: south

Tidal hexagram: 44- union

Lunar month- June

Agricultural segment of year: mangzhong or planting of the bearded grain, and xia zhi or summer solstice

Waterway: Ji River

What does this actually all mean and how does one apply these concepts? It is too much to discuss on a forum post, especially without greater guidance, but I write it out to give a general sense overview of reference. Its details will not seem significant unless you are a serious student, scholar or practitioner who wishes to delve deeply into experiential understanding of practice with some form of intellectual guidance.

But I will say that understanding these foundations will help you better realize when to practice, how, what is being affected as well as to assess health and diagnosis pathology so you can more specifically use qi in its deepest and subtle ways to heal, tonify and purify the body as an entire ecological system related to all forms and realities across time and dimension.

RELATIONSHIPS

The heart works in consort with three other fire organs: 

pericardium- the heart protector

small intestine- the heart clarifier

triple burner- an aetheric organ associated with regulating the three jiaos. 

Controller of- metal

Mother- of earth

Child- of wood

Controlled by- water

Organ Pair: Small Intestine

Confirmation and Complete circuit: Shao Yin (Heart-Kidney axis)

Entry Point: HT 1

Exit Point: HT 9

Source Point: HT 4

Why does this matter? Because everything you do to the heart affects another organ, meridian, energetic and subtle body condition, including your spirit and soul, and its relationships.

Question #2: What is meant by-  “Movement produces Yang-Qi. Stillness produces Yin-QI. The yang breath descends from the Heart or the brain and the yin breath rises upwards from the kidneys.”

Answer:  Translation- "Movement which is a state of yang, generates and perpetuates more yang energy. Stillness which is the state of yin, generates and perpetuates more yin energy. The heavenly (because yang here refers to the heavens) energy  through breath descends from the energetic body of the heart (not only the physicality of heart), which is also governer of the mind/intellect, and the earthly (because yin here refers to the earth) energy through breath rises upwards from the soles of the feet beginning at KD1 or "Bubbling Spring"which is the entry point of energy for the kidney channel (the complete circuit to the heart channel found in Shao Yin) and is thus governed the physical and energetic body of the Kidney organ.

Please note a couple things here: 

a] man is considered to be the axis between heaven in earth in Taoist health theory. So in this act of qi gong, you are you are cultivating the energies between the two poles through your vessel.

b] yang and yin are used in numerous and diverse ways across ancient and modern texts and it is important to be able to learn to distinguish- if one is to be precise, what aspects or qualities and in what context the energies are being referenced (if the writer or teacher even knows- which I find most do not know so do not distinguish) are being discussed, so that you understand proper cultivation technique and how energy is being transferred and utilized (this will also prevent you from getting sick by a practice or form, which I experience happens for a lot of students and people on this forum who do not have a clear understanding of these foundations). In advanced alchemical techniques, being able to understand and feel the diverse subtleties of various yin and yang energies are important, because contrary to how it is generally discussed, these are not only single energies).

I do want to emphasis that as a teacher, I feel the foundation of any practice you choose must be founded in sincerity and understood in your system beyond any theory.  (Interestingly and to note, truthfulness and sincerity are both qualities and states that are actually associated with and found in the heart in Chinese medicine)

And while I agree with other posters that it is not necessary to have a theoretical background in these matters for general practice, I think it is very important not dismiss the profound wisdom and knowledge imparted by the ancients through the Classics and other medical and spiritual tomes, which in truthfulness have helped lead to the awakening, immortality and enlightenment of a great many souls. If by these few brief insights into what comprises the idea of 'heart' and in such a small translation you recognize the sophistication and nuance of what is being actually and potentially discussed in just one sentence, imagine how radically different your reading and understanding of an entire paragraph, let alone entire book of any tai chi, qi gong, Toaist or Chinese medicine text would be if you had such knowledge!

Thus, having a theoretical background in Taoist medicine and its applications can make a profound difference in the rate of recognition, progress and self-guidance in experience and most importantly, refinement and nuance of your practice, especially when consulting the (seemingly) poetic works of sacred and esoteric texts for transcendent insight. They are truly remarkable and astonishing- and I say this as someone who has entered through deep passages in profound understanding of the mundane and transcendent in both the formed and formless through experience both with and without such guidance.

Edited by Small Fur
  • Like 8

On 10/26/2017 at 10:28 AM, Mudfoot said:

Xin =heart /mind. 

Shen,  spirit, rests in the Heart at night, but goes into your brain during the day. 

And then you can make this very complicated, all things pertaining TCM and Nei Dan gets more complicated. 

I'm positive a more complex version will be posted soon. :)

heartmind is more literal than people think

when at the stage of meditation where the slightest perturbation disturbs the dynamic, heart and mind are one.  thus it is that the focus of awareness and heart-mind energy-dynamic are very intimately linked.

impossible to know this without arriving there...

"Shen is stored in the heart and radiates out through the whole body. "

"You must not linger long in form, but give rise to heartmind" (diamond sutra)

"Fire gives rise to the human heart mind...somethinsomethin...if one's thinking is not illuminated, then there is fire that destroys the innate nature of wood" (see my breathpostings, ohm's law and the link between neural activity acting as a form of  resistance in the equation)....."if you do not allow the perversions of the myriad changes in Wood to occur, then you will discover innate nature"

• Like 1

When I want to feel my heart during meditation, I use the sound hAaaahh.   It helps me focus on it.  

addon>  I enjoyed reading Small Furs many insights into the Heart. 

Also, I find humor helps balance out the heart.  Not in excess and not the haha type, rather keeping a simple smile and not taking things too seriously.  Seeing the humor in situations, like discussions on the heart devolving into a mini flame war.  Good humor disarms and joins people together, keeps you from taking offense.  

Edited by thelerner

49 minutes ago, joeblast said:

heartmind is more literal than people think

when at the stage of meditation where the slightest perturbation disturbs the dynamic, heart and mind are one.  thus it is that the focus of awareness and heart-mind energy-dynamic are very intimately linked.

impossible to know this without arriving there...

"Shen is stored in the heart and radiates out through the whole body. "

"You must not linger long in form, but give rise to heartmind" (diamond sutra)

"Fire gives rise to the human heart mind...somethinsomethin...if one's thinking is not illuminated, then there is fire that destroys the innate nature of wood" (see my breathpostings, ohm's law and the link between neural activity acting as a form of  resistance in the equation)....."if you do not allow the perversions of the myriad changes in Wood to occur, then you will discover innate nature"

or more accurately, have adjusted their resonant modes thusly so that the connection and overlap is highlighted in neon

and the bolded is just the work of stabilizing that - once stabilized to where this level is entered into every day, a few times a day....hahaha no, dreams do not occur and if one does, they are of the visionary, mountain-moving revelation sort.

but funny enough, this heartmind stuff has some important overlap with central channel work

shhhhh, dont tell folks that following anapanasati to its extreme logical conclusions makes all these things happen, the spark of yang arises from the depths of yin :D

its a big part of what gives the "more potent" yang practices their very potency :P

one has to study, but its more important to diligently put the knowledge to use - so it helps to know how to apply it.

• Like 1

"Heart" depends on the level of awareness.

Physical Level = Heart as Heart... like a beat

Qigong Level = Heart as Energy ... The General that directs the energy...  usually means Heart/Mind

Spirit Level = Heart as Spirit ... Heart is the embodiment of non-physical stuff... astral, magic, healing, etc.

Light Level = Heart as Light ... Heart is the embodiment of more primordial stuff... deities

JMO  :)

• Like 2

On 2017-11-11 at 3:57 PM, joeblast said:

one has to study, but its more important to diligently put the knowledge to use - so it helps to know how to apply it.

You mean actually practice? 

(shudders)

• Like 3