ankhmor

coming with a question

Hello.

Perhaps this is rude, definitely selfish -- i searched for a Daoist forum just to ask this one question.

The question is asked on buddhism stackexchange, so far receiving no satisfactory answers. http://buddhism.stackexchange.com/q/18738/5849

There is a sense that i'm asking for too much, asking a question that can not be answered in words. Perhaps the Daoist community has a different take, a more hands on answer.

Perhaps this question is of interest to others as well.

Thank you.

PS. To add a life example to the question:

Sometime in the morning i wake up with an urge to pee. Sometimes i can stay in bed for 10-20 minutes, for no good reason, knowing well that there is no escape from this bodily function. In that state, i examine my volition: i can easily get up, and just as easily stay in bed. So what phenomenon makes that choice? Why is it that one day i get up right away, and other days it can take "forever", yet feeling that the choice is "right at the fingertips"? Who is, what is volition?

Again, thank you.

• Like 1

Hello ankhmor, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi ankhmor,

Well, the last time I checked our "Buddhist Discussions" sub-forum I found the folks to be very peaceful, helpful and pretty open-minded. You might have better luck getting responses to your question by starting a thread in that sub-forum.  (I don't talk Buddhist.)

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

Hello.

Perhaps this is rude, definitely selfish -- i searched for a Daoist forum just to ask this one question.

The question is asked on buddhism stackexchange, so far receiving no satisfactory answers. http://buddhism.stackexchange.com/q/18738/5849

There is a sense that i'm asking for too much, asking a question that can not be answered in words. Perhaps the Daoist community has a different take, a more hands on answer.

Thank you

Sometime in the morning i wake up with an urge to pee. Sometimes i can stay in bed for 10-20 minutes, for no good reason, knowing well that there is no escape from this bodily function. In that state, i examine my volition: i can easily get up, and just as easily stay in bed. So what phenomenon makes that choice? Why is it that one day i get up right away, and other days it can take "forever", yet feeling that the choice is "right at the fingertips"? Who is, what is volition?

Again, thank you.

Very interesting and profound question. But, as I am sure you are aware, such a question drives to the underlying nature of perceived reality. So the answer you seek, will be different from different traditions. Since you quoted post was with the buddhist concept of pure and impure thoughts, I will respond with a further response based in that perspective...

Issues, fears, karma, etc... are stored inside the body-mind "bubble" that drive the sense of self. An impure thought is when stimuli hit those stored structures and there is an automated response. Someone says something and it resonate with you and you get mad. This is essentially cause and effect.

More Pure thoughts are when you have cleared out the issues and fears to such an extent that you can make a more open and free decision in the world of cause and effect. Or someone says the same thing that made you mad, but instead you consciously decide how you want to respond as to what is best at that moment.

In your morning pee example, there are sort of two dimensions to your question. Both the relative strength of the cause and effect (how bad you have to go because of how much you drank the night before), and also the level of your conscious "freedom of thought" based upon you relative mental clarity (level of pure thoughts). The greater your level of "pure thoughts", the more actual volition you have to not be whipsawed by stimuli hitting you.

At a more personal level, you have reached the level where you have opened your heart or you could say middle dantien. So I would say that you have started to have limited degrees of what you call "volition". But, there is still a huge subconscious of "stuff" that is unconsciously driving you if you are looking for true volition, or being relatively "free" in the realm of cause and effect.

Best, Jeff

• Like 5

Thank you for the warm welcomes :)

Can you post here the question?

To clarify, I'm looking for the Daoist perspective, not the Buddhist perspective, though in general I don't really care which perspective it is as long as the answer is there.

The question copied from Buddhism stackexchange is below:

This is a third attempt at formulating a question. This question and this question have been asked, but not formulated in a way that conveyed the question.

So now, in a third attempt, the formulation shall be: what is volition?

EDIT: The answers still do satisfy the question in the mind, although they are answers to the question on 'paper'. Apologies for the lack of skill in phrasing the question. Let us see if the following clears up what is being asked:

Imagine life as a series of moments; one moment after another in a line infinitely long. Imagine that there is a decision that must be made, to chose A or B, both equally likely to be chosen (for whatever reason, such as lack of understanding which is the right choice). This decision is present only in a single moment within the infinite series of moments. What is that single moment of choice? What is that single moment made of, what substance, what phenomena? Who/What is doing the choosing? Why A over B, or B over A, if both are equally likely?

At a more personal level, you have reached the level where you have opened your heart or you could say middle dantien. So I would say that you have started to have limited degrees of what you call "volition". But, there is still a huge subconscious of "stuff" that is unconsciously driving you if you are looking for true volition, or being relatively "free" in the realm of cause and effect.

Best, Jeff

Thank you Jeff.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on your answer.

It seems true, what you say about me having some degree of "volition" (is there a better word?). Sometimes there is a feeling that it can be "touched", but it always stays out of reach, too elusive to be studied.

How would one get closer to "touching" volition?

Thank you,

Anton

• Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcomes :)

To clarify, I'm looking for the Daoist perspective, not the Buddhist perspective, though in general I don't really care which perspective it is as long as the answer is there.

The question copied from Buddhism stackexchange is below:

This is a third attempt at formulating a question. This question and this question have been asked, but not formulated in a way that conveyed the question.

So now, in a third attempt, the formulation shall be: what is volition?

EDIT: The answers still do satisfy the question in the mind, although they are answers to the question on 'paper'. Apologies for the lack of skill in phrasing the question. Let us see if the following clears up what is being asked:

Imagine life as a series of moments; one moment after another in a line infinitely long. Imagine that there is a decision that must be made, to chose A or B, both equally likely to be chosen (for whatever reason, such as lack of understanding which is the right choice). This decision is present only in a single moment within the infinite series of moments. What is that single moment of choice? What is that single moment made of, what substance, what phenomena? Who/What is doing the choosing? Why A over B, or B over A, if both are equally likely?

Thank you Jeff.

It seems true, what you say about me having some degree of "volition" (is there a better word?). Sometimes there is a feeling that it can be "touched", but it always stays out of reach, too elusive to be studied.

Thank you,

Anton

Through raising our energetic vibrations and dissolving our filters, we expand and clarify our awareness -- and this allows us to better understand that which is. Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

Thank you Jeff.

Thank you,

Anton

Volition is probably as good a word as any. In Taoism, what you seek is an aspect of being a "sage". Happy to eloborate...

Think of it kind of like there are layers of consciousness. Residing at the lower layers, one is driven by more base desires or more classic ego stuff. While it seems like you choose things, it is mostly like autopilot responses. The heart (where you currently reside) is sort of the beginning of higher consciousness functioning. In some traditions, they would call that beginning to be wake up (not Buddhism or Taoism).

The things that block or "obstruct" you from having free volition are those issues and fear based upon past memories. Getting more volition is the result of effectively clearing out (or letting go of) those issues and fears that obstruct from your true "sage" nature. Spiritual practices in various traditions are about clearing out all of that "crap". When you pick a tradition, you sort of pick their practices and tools for that clearing process.

Your almost touching it could be a feeling of a couple of things. At your level, there are sort of two different directions that people go. They tend to be either more heart or mind based. This leads to either feeling more energy stuff (taoist like) or more quiet mind (buddhist like) as one goes to higher levels of consciousness. Additionally, there are some who feel a deeper opening in what I would call the "inner heart" or higher self.

But, in all cases you can think of it like you realize more at a subconscious level and kind of know it, but can't quite touch it (or bring it into your conscious awareness).

If you want, with your permission, I can do a deep remote energy body read on you and try to get you more specifics. Just let me know, either here on in a private pm. Also, here are a few words from the Tao Te Ching you might like on the topic...

CHAPTER 22 (SFH version)

Yield and overcome.

Bend but follow the flow.

Empty yourself of everything, then you can full.

Have little but gain a lot.

Have much and be confused.

Therefore the sage embraces the one.

He sets an example to the world.

By not putting on a display, he shines forth.

Having no preferences he is open to all.

By never boasting or bragging he can never falter.

By knowing this and refusing that,

He knows of the ways of man.

Thus he can avoid a quarrel.

The ancient masters were always empty.

This emptiness was always whole.

Yield and overcome and be forever full,

and so all things will come to you.

Best, Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 3

Best, Jeff

Jeff, with absolutely no actual comprehension of neidan or dantians you really shouldn't be telling people so flippantly that they have opened their middle dantian.

• Like 1

The fabrication that is what you call you has no volition.

What you will do is wholly dependent upon your resistance.

It is the frequency within which you "live" and "see" the world.

If it occurs to you to raise your vibrations this is to circumvent the frequency you are already in resistance to. It will appear to work and will appear as though you are doing it - but it is a trick you are placating yourself with.

The unborn spotless presence is the wind in your movements - the volition is entirely in accord with your resistance.

Karma is born of your resistance and it is within the body that it will be played out. In this refinement towards the unborn the light is progressively uncovered and covered and uncovered and covered again and again - this heat brings increasing radiance and will eventually give rebirth to itself. A crystallized presence that will transmit any light with no heat, no refraction, no inertia, no wilfullness.

In the end the "you" that wishes to know of volition will never have volition - it will never become Awakened or Enlightened.

Upon Awakening that "you" will no longer exist. Fragments of youness will continue to play out but the attachment in this youness has expired and continues to fade.

• Like 4

Hello.

Thank you.

Again, thank you.

Your "divine nature" makes the choice. That's why everything is in "divine order." All is as God wills it.

You have no choice but to do the will of your divine nature, it's YOUR will.

• Like 1

In daoist, shi Shen means ego Shen.

Shi Shen make these desicion by yii, 意

Yii, 意,means thoughts and the ability to think.

In daoist, The Yii is hidden in the chi of spleen.

• Like 1

There is no one who make a decision, it's just complex mechanism related to our desires which makes and calculate decision. Decision is made by your brain in context of your desires.

The great teachers of the world have stated: There are no dumb questions.

As middling to poor student, I question that.  Maybe they are right.  There are no dumb questions, but some questions are asked at the wrong time. 

What is volition- is a very head heavy inquiry that may seem profound but will probably have zero impact on your life.  Better to spend time in practice or honing awareness then playing mind games.  Unless you have a cozy beverage, a few friends around and its after 9pm.   

I have the same feeling, this is just plain stupid question. Answering that question will bring three more questions, the more you answer the more question will pop up like cutting off hydra head.

Better ask "how to realize myself?" then all answers are just there.

The fabrication that is what you call you has no volition.

What you will do is wholly dependent upon your resistance.

It is the frequency within which you "live" and "see" the world.

If it occurs to you to raise your vibrations this is to circumvent the frequency you are already in resistance to. It will appear to work and will appear as though you are doing it - but it is a trick you are placating yourself with.

The unborn spotless presence is the wind in your movements - the volition is entirely in accord with your resistance.

Karma is born of your resistance and it is within the body that it will be played out. In this refinement towards the unborn the light is progressively uncovered and covered and uncovered and covered again and again - this heat brings increasing radiance and will eventually give rebirth to itself. A crystallized presence that will transmit any light with no heat, no refraction, no inertia, no wilfullness.

In the end the "you" that wishes to know of volition will never have volition - it will never become Awakened or Enlightened.

Upon Awakening that "you" will no longer exist. Fragments of youness will continue to play out but the attachment in this youness has expired and continues to fade.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "resistance"?

Could you please clarify what you mean by "resistance"?

Imagine you are a pinball in a pinball machine and the bumpers which you bounce off of are your resistance. You are within the field of your resistance. It is from your resistance that your positions are largely "held". Like a Chinese Finger puzzle - the more your positions are held the more your field is rigidized and glued in place. Mind loops continue to glue and clamp down your positions.

Much of what we like is based on the "requirements" of the Frequencies of resistance - the fuels of those frequencies. We don't see it as this but our mind sets and positions make up our choice of food, clothing, media, look and the matrix we see. These all support our frequencies of resistance.

Within this is a pipeline of Presence that comes and goes more or less pure in its clarity - it is when we are doing something selflessly - we "very naturally" enjoy these moments. It is our natural essence. I mean selflessly in the sense of non-identified and so do not assume it to mean selflessly as in "for others without thinking of reward". A person can be creating music selflessly or making pottery or walking a dog.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

Regarding resistance:

I realize I was relating more about a description of the field of resistance than answering "what is resistance".in my repl,y above.

Resistance is on a base level "what you don't like" "what you do not like to be near" "what you fear".

• Like 2