Sign in to follow this  
flanneau

wu wei

Without action.  But that doesn't say much.  Uncontrived action. But this is more wei wu wei.

I'll leave it now for others to speak to.

• Like 2

I also mean if somebody knows a good book about wu wei.

Well... Laozi and Zhuangzi have some to say about it.

Other than that... I'm not sure it's something one can learn much about by reading a book. I've read a good few books, and the Laozi and Zhuangzi a fair few times, but I think I was closer to figuring wuwei out years ago, before I'd started reading about it.

:unsure:  sorry, that wasn't helpful at all.

• Like 2

Well... Laozi and Zhuangzi have some to say about it.

Other than that... I'm not sure it's something one can learn much about by reading a book. I've read a good few books, and the Laozi and Zhuangzi a fair few times, but I think I was closer to figuring wuwei out years ago, before I'd started reading about it.

Its true though , that there's a world of difference between understanding things academically and intuitively,, I don't think I'll ever run like the wind blows, as Gump did , and maybe that's Ok too.

In the circumstances that befell him, his simplicity worked out to yield him a rich life , others have other blessings and other circumstances. 

One cant intentionally emulate him , to live his life. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 3

But it was/is helpful.  All perspectives should be considered whenever possible.

• Like 3

I think to understand -if it is possible- this concept you have to make it resonate with the others daoist concepts then feel them through practice.

It's something to experience not something to analyze. About timing, balance and feeling.

Knowing yourself enough to make it sound like you

Playing -only- your part according to others and the tempo of the moment.

Sometimes leaving when others are out of time.

Also “sometimes it takes you a long time to sound like yourself” and even more to stay in/with an unified self.

Edited by CloudHands
  • Like 2

Wu Wei is a kind of attitude in meditation.

The other side is 有為.

有為means the meditator uses some methods to reach a goal, like some breath method, some imaging, some dao ying導引。

The meditator who use the method of wu Wei don't use those methods to reach any goal.

They just observe and wait to see what's happening inside.

The meditators who use wu Wei can see the changes in a long tern meditation.

Edited by awaken
  • Like 5

Good points all.

Our individual method will be most successful if it is accordance with our nature.

I still prefer empty-minded meditation as it works best for me.  But I do sometimes visit the Spirit of the Valley to get there.

• Like 1

I believe it's vital to keep in mind that Daoism, being an emanative cosmology - like Neoplatonism and Indian Tantra - is formulating a very interesting idea that needs to be considered within the proper context.

Wu Wei, as I interpret it, is about letting ones Earthly nature mediate the forces of Heaven and let them do the acting.

A similar idea can be found in Kasmir Shaivism and it's cosmological model of 36 Tattvas. One of these is known as Ahamkara, the belittled scapegoat of New Agers known as the big bad "ego". It's a much misunderstood concept. The word roughly means "I do". As very dumbed down summary, for a Tantrik the goal is to change that to "Shiva does".

I believe the case is much the same for a Daoist Sage who is in union with the Dao.

• Like 3

Spontaneous uncontrived action or not acting, non action . There is no goal, agenda, gain or loss. 

I don't want to do the dishes, I am the only one that ever does the dishes, I get no respect Why Why Why This form of contrived behavior of gain or loss uses way more energy than washing the dishes. let the water wash the dishes, let fire do the cooking allow metal do the chopping then sit back as you are active and enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

Wu wei has various ways to be understood, since different people have interpreted it differently.

A very common social definition of wu wei is just not to mess about with things trying to change them.

A meditation approach to wu wei sees us setting out intention somewhere so that the mind doesnt move and then gradually becomes empty and we achieve non action.

A religious interpretation of wu wei could be that if something bad happens to you then you should wait and the gods will fix it for you, you don't need to take an action to change the situation.

a government approach would be to allow the people to rule themselves rather than forcing them to take action on your behalf and so on and so on...

Wu wei is part of a three step process:

you wei: has action,

wu wei: no action,

wu bu wei: nothing not taken action on (or wei wu wei: action without action).

Usually these are discussed as the post heaven - pre heaven- and spontaneous movement of energy from the pre heaven.

They can apply to many, many different things  :)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this