Sign in to follow this  
3bob

is your cat a reincarnation of a past cat?

I doubt reincarnation works that way. Mine, Sophie, may have been a mouse or lion once, but now she whatever it is she is. (I imagine being barnacles would be a peaceful step up for us.)

Anyway,, I like her manner and company, I think thats mutual, but dont see why anyone really needs to have some kind of exclusive loyalty from a cat , I dont require that of her, shes a cat! just my regular ol cat, But that doesnt mean that I as a human ,feel cat like about her. That would be screwy.

The beauty of the stars is in our minds, not in hot gasses.I love my widdle kitty whether shes as mushy as I am or not.:)

:-) furry bundles or scratchy, bitey, purring joy. Hard to resist them.

• Like 4

I have an unknown cat who is very comfortable being in my backyard.  He acts a lot like my past cat including looking very similar!  He doesn't run away when he sees me but keeps a little distance when I talk to him...makes me wonder if anyone has had a similar cat experience? 

No, sorry but I have had a experience with a dog being a human in their immediate former life and also a child/baby returning to the same mother after dying at a very young age due to an accident! The last event sounds like a sci-fi or horror movie (but it is not). :)

• Like 1

I couldn't find that story about the Buddhist abbot coming back as a cat, but I remember reading that it was well documented by some British visitors who were astonished to see the monks bow respectfully to the resident cat and protect him by posting guards whenever visitors showed up.  They explained that when the old abbot died, the cat showed up who convinced the monks very soon that he was the abbot's reincarnation.  The abbot headed the monastery for many years and had a very distinct routine, which he followed every day.  At certain times during the day, he would take a long slow walk around the premises, stopping in particular locations to observe or contemplate this and that, sitting down on a particular bench to rest, and then returning via a route that also never changed for many years, perhaps decades. 

Well, this new cat started doing exactly the same thing from day one.  Take a long slow walk at exactly the same time, stopping at exactly the same spots, then sitting on the same bench, etc..  There were other peculiarities about him, and since the monastery belonged to the particular school of Buddhism (forget which, possibly a brand of Zen influenced by Shinto) that does not see animals as inferior to humans, and therefore finds no shame in an enlightened human reincarnating as an enlightened animal, they all agreed that the old abbot must have found it unbearable to leave them all just yet and came back as a cat so he could immediately resume the life he had been accustomed to. 

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 7

i'm here because someone said cat

Us wise ones usually are. Someone said cat is like "it's always gin o'clock somewhere".

I've hoped many times to have a chance to meet Arsenio, Cesarina, Celeste or Sabina again but those powers that supposedly be havent been forthcoming. My dearest Picasso (inverted mackrell coat: deep black base with ocra stripes and bright pale yellow eyeliner) was as if Arsenio had raised and taught him everything he ever knew even if the former died a few years before Picasso was born, they were a little alike and two of my best friends ever.

Sabina was my first cat, i bought her when i was 4, and she became the matriarch of a dynasty of cats that spanned to 7th generation descendents. We had 18 at the most during a single time, of which 8 were adults and 10 kittens dived into two litters.

Common stuff i learned was distinct personality and individual inclination to socializing, females spraymark territory just like males and when a tight knit clan has multiple females with kittens they take turns watching the litters so the other can go for a walk. Unless they all got tired and left the unified litter with our german sheperd. She was resident kittysitter, a tradition first decreed by the second matriarch and they kept up during the generations until the dog died.

Currently we have two. One is bonkers and borderline feral by choice, she's gradually lost her finesse in communicating with us but still does the basics like pointing at the window for us to open, or sit at the right side of the window, getting our attention and then turning her head towards the the fridge for food.

We used to have a few tricks she and I but she's outgrown them, they're not fun anymore.

Oh, yeah, she even has her own circle of human friends we didnt even know about until recently when one of them contacted us. Their only connection is our cat and now theyre friends on social media.

Last night she started to mimic me when i jerk my head in the direction of the bedroom calling her, she wanted to leave so she started nodding towards the window (behind her) while making a short chirp i've never heard before. Usually it was just pointing and if ignored long she'd sing a little tune. This is also a cat who fetches us to solve issues she's not on top of.

The second one is fat, has a wide and pragmatic vocabulary for communication. She's no foodslut, probably because of her allergy to complex proteines and is largely uninterested in foodstuffs beyond smelling them.

She hates kids and most people (i raised that one good), she can communicate through signs and chirps not only a wish for her bowl to be refilled or to play or be petted, but specific wishes to play a certain game or other. Rubber bands game has it's own word, but you know if she wants to run after one or try to catch them mid air depending on posture or a chattering chirp (the chatter is not her hunting sound, they are different and used appropriately).

Call me a dumbnut but the games are developed together and specific to the individual.

Some of them are quite complex in rythm and one contains parts i still havent figured out yet.

She hates going to the vet and eating medicine, and protests once against the cage and spits her medicine up once. After face has been saved she complies without resistance.

We do suspect Fatty travels through time and space freely. Bonkers just hangs out at the cemetary getting high on catnip (not a joke) and comes in whenever she feels like it.

• Like 2

Wow, RL, that's quite a catscape!  :)

About rubber bands -- I wrote somewhere about my cat inventing water basketball, he used to throw rubber bands into his water bowl, gradually increasing the distance from which he pitched.  He abandoned this game by now, but it was going on for a while, maybe a year or more.  The specific communication tricks are many and he also shares with me his telepathic insights -- e.g. he informs me that my son's car is five minutes away and he'd want tea (son, not cat) by a specific meow dedicated to this and no other information.  A coming earthquake is announced a few hours in advance with a combo of a meow and a yawn reserved only for earthquakes.  Rains, however, which are very rare in our parts, he thinks are my doing and makes a brief but ugly scene about them every time, meowing in my face in a stand-off, looking at me with indignation and pretty much demanding that I cut it out immediately.  

One has to learn about cats before hoping to be contacted by anything intelligent from outer space methinks.  They provide training in reading comprehension of a nonhuman but human-compatible mind.       

• Like 1

Us wise ones usually are. Someone said cat is like "it's always gin o'clock somewhere".

I have a cat named Paşa (Pasha)

hes my only cat who has a name

whenever i want to pet him he either lets me pet him when i reach out to pet him or he gets up and starts walking away and i follow him and he takes me somewhere far of and lets me pet him there,

when i bring him inside sometimes he always goes to the door and wants to leave but if i start petting him he stays and enjoys my petting,

he is too proud to ask for petting, i have to come up to him and start petting him for him to enjoy it, as soon as i stop petting him he runs straight to the door and rubs himself against furniture like he rubs himself against me when i pet him,

arrogant cat

another cat i have i bring in sometimes and she plays with my headphone cable that i tied a hair tie to the end of for a bit, then she jumps up on my bed and goes to her spot on the blanket and sleeps, a while after she falls asleep she stops purring, i pet her while shes asleep and not purring and she starts purring,

this cat has a sister and a brother and a mother, the mother has a brother (Paşa), i go on walks and these five cats follow me around jumping and playing exploring.

mother cat used to always make chirping noises when she was around me, but ever since one of her kittens died and the rest disappeared she hasn't :(

also they all fold in half, its funny

(This is Paşa)

post-115178-0-00806200-1475663195_thumb.jpg

Edited by mindtooloud
  • Like 2

Look a dat lazy keedy :-)

I just stayed at a hotel called Pasha. Met Oliver Reeds son whilst I was there.

when I was a child, the mum of my best friend died, she had a long and awful sickbed at home.

I remember their cat, a beautiful black creature, always coming to me to be scratched on the head or share a purring session on my lap.

When the mother died and was buried, next day the cat was gone, more sadness for my friend and her little sister. the cat was found at the graveyard, on the grave. a ten minute walk for my friend. She brought her home and fed her. but the cat kept disappearing, again and again to be found at the grave. After the weeks she started to eat less...and less. After about a half year she was found dead, lying on the gravestone.

giving up all her nine lives apparently, was a healthy, vigorous cat, not anywhere near death of being too old.

Touching ! But you got got ! That was a dog trapped in a cat's body.

Edited by CloudHands
  • Like 2

TM:

Oh the indignation stemming from downpour, i get a lot of blaming glares and upset rants from both our cats.

Never for firecrackers, loud kids and drunkards, just the rain. Maybe it's time to learn to talk to the local dragon and strike a deal? Wonder how that'll go over... :D

I wish our cats would give us the satisfaction of showing off their expriments and solo-games, but alas: if we're in the room together then we play together too, no exceptions.

No way, he picks up on cars that far off?! Wow. But how can he know about the tea? Must be telepathy.

The earthquake thing sounds very handy, i'd feel safer!

Ours can distinguish wether it's a known (and approved) person or not punching in the code on our apartment building gate. I suspect they've learned the different rythms people use since it's one of the few variables involved.

Hahaa yes, hadn't thought about the ET intelligence connection but it makes a lot of sense. Human-compatible mind is spot on, i think they realized it way back when they just started hanging out with us.

Some refer to it as self-domestication, i tend to call it squatting, symbiosis by choice or "giong native during a clever long con" depending on the cat in question.

MTL:

Haha yes, i can recognize the arrogance and pride. Pasa seems like a solid lump of gold from the pic!

• Like 4

Here she is...  She hasn't whispered a name yet...

post-103196-0-16628000-1475718047_thumb.jpg

post-103196-0-88905500-1475718058_thumb.jpg

We brought her home Saturday evening and she's amazing.  For a wild born, she's surprisingly self assured around humans and remarkably calm and unworried, thoroughly unlike the three other wild-borns we've had...  While skittish for the first few hours, she almost immediately started purring and flirting... eyeing us from her safe zone under our son's bed, when we entered the room.  With our other wild-borns, they all took a couple weeks to come out from their safe zones.  For this one, it was about three hours and she was out seeking cuddles and love.

She's a great blend of non-aggressive self assurance and calm acceptance of the new setting.  She's deeply attracted to our male, Rama.  Every time she sees him she starts toward him with a high tail and a bouncy lope... He lets her know he's not ready for that and she simply lays down and watches him then.

Both Rama and Maya post-103196-0-94607000-1475719011_thumb.jpg watch us play with her from a distance, with interest, but after the first couple hours and some sniffing around the door, they seem almost unfazed by her presence.  And when she comes out to play for brief bits, they simply watch from wherever they are... Rama will break soon, I can see he's also pretty interested.

Life is good.

• Like 7

Great cats, ST!  :wub:   The new kitty looks very intelligent.  And those eyebrows of a taoist sage! :D

My cat has long eyelashes.  Well, long for a cat, cats aren't supposed to have any I'm told.  But Haomao does.  No one believes me when I mention them.

• Like 5

Cats folding in half... they only way i can see this with my Inner Eye of Sauron is what is dubbed "Cheeseshrimp" or "Shri Mp Asana" in my domus. It's when a cat starts having a nap propped up against something, like the back of a chair, with their legs stretched out. Then us furless honoray cats, who honestly suck at serving and delighting in spite of these thumbs we're so damn proud of, leave the room and return to find the previously propped up cat has now fallen asleep completely and slowly drooped forward with both front paws and head extended, resulting in a hilarious shrimp-like pose. I usually tell a Cheeseshrimper how silly its being. You're not a shrimp, give them back. You're a cat. Results vary.

Below is not the shrimp, that ks just a seal beaing itself

post-55386-0-12631100-1475798301_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 4

Yea those eyebrows!  First thing I thought when she came out from under the bed when we first met was "Wing Chun Master White Lightning Eyebrows... :)" 

Rama has already broken and is openly following her about when she comes into the living area, watching her with love and nose kissing her when she gets close.  He's a large, amazingly soft-natured and nurturing maine coon.  I call him the Panda-cat.  That boy is so grounded and nurturing... he just never gets unsettled.  He sure embraces the energy of his name. 

Maya watches little gizmo intently and is unsettled by her, but hasn't done anything other than let her know to keep her distance, which gizmo immediately does... she's a respectful little sprocket.  Anytime her approach is met with a growl or hiss, she simply stops and sits or lays down on the spot.  So it's apparent that things will just improve with time and we have a new family member.  :)

• Like 3

Yea those eyebrows!  First thing I thought when she came out from under the bed when we first met was "Wing Chun Master White Lightning Eyebrows... :)" 

Rama has already broken and is openly following her about when she comes into the living area, watching her with love and nose kissing her when she gets close.  He's a large, amazingly soft-natured and nurturing maine coon.  I call him the Panda-cat.  That boy is so grounded and nurturing... he just never gets unsettled.  He sure embraces the energy of his name. 

Maya watches little gizmo intently and is unsettled by her, but hasn't done anything other than let her know to keep her distance, which gizmo immediately does... she's a respectful little sprocket.  Anytime her approach is met with a growl or hiss, she simply stops and sits or lays down on the spot.  So it's apparent that things will just improve with time and we have a new family member.  :)

A Maine Coon, that was going to be our next cat. My wife wasn't so sure, but their nature is so endearing. It's like having a dog, but with all the prettier, cooler cat bits. I found a local breeder who was selling-wow they were just stunningly beautiful kiddy Kats. I'm told they can be walked and some like swimming ? It was the cost and the rarity, plus the breeders insistence that they must be protected in a run and not allowed to roam the streets that caused us to rethink-now we are sans cat :sniffle: but we like talking to the many cats we find in our regular 3 mile walk. Most of the local cats know us and come running and we don't feed them. It's like adoptacat, or kitty club.

• Like 3

Cats folding in half... they only way i can see this with my Inner Eye of Sauron is what is dubbed "Cheeseshrimp" or "Shri Mp Asana" in my domus. It's when a cat starts having a nap propped up against something, like the back of a chair, with their legs stretched out. Then us furless honoray cats, who honestly suck at serving and delighting in spite of these thumbs we're so damn proud of, leave the room and return to find the previously propped up cat has now fallen asleep completely and slowly drooped forward with both front paws and head extended, resulting in a hilarious shrimp-like pose. I usually tell a Cheeseshrimper how silly its being. You're not a shrimp, give them back. You're a cat. Results vary.

Below is not the shrimp, that ks just a seal beaing itself

Yes, I know that pose. Our cat used to get in the litter box, squat and put its tongue out. Sometimes the tongue woukd stay like that for several minutes with the cat completely unaware. Funniest thing to watch, it was a dork cat.

• Like 1

Came across this poem by a Russian poet, Vitaly Pukhanov, which I will try to translate:

It's possible to get an old friend back,

or an ex girlfriend.

It's impossible to get a cat back.

A cat won't respond to a phone call,

won't create a social media page.

"Come kitty kitty kitty" into the dark of the night

is all you can do.

To get a cat back, one must turn into a cat without turning back,

go the way of the cat after the cat.

But who has enough love. 

• Like 6

Happened today in Turkey during a live news broadcast.  Judging by this kitty's confidence and competence in the environment, he might be a reincarnation of a past anchor. 

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this