Sign in to follow this  
Eques Peregrinus

Guidance on how to choose meditations and cultivation techniques

I would like to know which considerations should be taken to choose a meditation technique or a cultivation practice among the various ones that exists.

Things like their requirements or in what they consists in very general terms. Or if they would require the presence of a teacher, or, at least, his/her/its instructions. Or if they can likely cause problem to the health, physically or psychically, even if they are not too badly practiced. Or if they are in part oath-bound. Etc...

Also, Daoism is not an unified movement (neither is Buddhism, neither is Hinduism, neither is Christianity, etc... for what is matters), but are there some practices or rituals which are more prevalent among schools?
  • Like 1

Also, Daoism is not an unified movement (neither is Buddhism, neither is Hinduism, neither is Christianity, etc... for what is matters), but are there some practices or rituals which are more prevalent among schools?

I will speak to this as philosophy is one of my favorite subjects to talk about.

Daoism embraces All.  That is to say, whatever is possible is within the realm of Dao.

So, one the one hand, yes, Daoism is a unified belief system.

But then, if we are to talk about human practices then surely we cannot say that all the systems are unified.  Daoism is not Buddhism, Christian, or any other belief system.

Religious Daoism includes all compatible belief systems even though the majority are Buddhist and Christian.

Alchemic (including Shamanic) Daoism is pretty much home grown.  I think it is fair to suggest that Philosophic Daoism grew along side Shamanic Daoism up to perhaps the time of Lao Tzu.

It is also permitted, IMO, for an individual to grow their own version of Daoism including aspects of any other belief system as long as the principles of Daoism are not violated.

• Like 3

All you need to do is keep questioning what's right for you. Explore and try things out. If something isn't right, ditch it...if something resonates, go deeper into that path. Don't stop wishing for guidance, wondering, seeking, and trying...those things will take you onto the correct path. Having the question leads to the answer you need...whereas being told what's what kills the question, and therefore prevents you finding the true answer. "Seek, and you will find." In the process, you will learn a lot about yourself and about the various methods and ideas out there. Mistakes will be made and obstacles will be encountered...overcoming those are your stepping stones to success.

• Like 6

I would like to know which considerations should be taken to choose a meditation technique or a cultivation practice among the various ones that exists.

Things like their requirements or in what they consists in very general terms. Or if they would require the presence of a teacher, or, at least, his/her/its instructions. Or if they can likely cause problem to the health, physically or psychically, even if they are not too badly practiced. Or if they are in part oath-bound. Etc...

If you are interested in beginning a meditation or cultivation practice, I would suggest that you find a local teacher or group to begin your journey. Most methods are best studied with expert guidance. Trying to evaluate systems and methods on your own or with anonymous internet recommendations is problematic. 

I suggest finding programs in your area and meeting the teacher and some students. You can learn a lot from how you are treated and how you feel to be with them. You can then do some more focused research on their program. Many will offer an inexpensive or free introductory lesson. That would be my approach. 

• Like 6

It's difficult to advise you where to start without knowing what you're looking for. 

Are you looking for physical health, energetic-related stuff, and so on? Maybe try Daoist Nei Gong by Damo Mitchell.

Are you looking for mental clarity, wisdom and awakening? Try MCTB and the last link below.

In general, I think the last link below should be a good all-purpose starting point, because all paths call for calming the stormy mind a bit in some way.

Depends what kind of path you're interested in. I don't have much to say on the qi side of things (though Daoist Nei Gong by Damo Mitchell is a good read IMHO). Now, you say you want to become enlightened - people mean different things by that. 

If what you mean by 'enlightened' is the sort of thing Buddhism is about, then IMHO one of the most useful books you could read is MCTB by Daniel Ingram. It explains things far more clearly than basically anything else. :)

Also the classic meditation method for people to start with is mindfulness of breathing - a great starting guide is here. Try it out - you'll get more clarity which you can bring to anything else you want to do. Whatever path you end up following, more stability, focus and calm won't exactly hold you back.

• Like 2

Good to have a main system you're married to, one that provides a path that resonates and takes you where you want to go.

Its also good imo to have a few side practices.  For example, chanting is powerful.  I think everyone should have chant practice, heck we're in the shower anyway.  It could be mantra, it could opera, in my case its Rawn Clark canticle system YHVH.   Sound is powerful.. elemental.. use it. 

Likewise knowing a couple of moving forms is also good.  They don't have to be long and complicated unless that's your thing, but movement and feeling flow is important, I like Pangu and the simple stuff on Michael Winns Fundamentals II DVD.  Sitting practice is important too, after years of sitting still, I like Ya Mu's Stillness Meditation ideas on sitting, which incorporate slight natural movement. 

Then there's the strange..  Not a bad thing to snack on but probably not make a steady diet of.   Spending $200 to learn a 10 week system like Wim Hof method gave me powers and abilities far beyond what I could do before, even if they were only very long breath control (2 minute breath holds after exhaling) and ability to take long icy cold showers, baths and polar bear plunges.   Likewise I enjoyed taking a weekend of study with Max Christenson and learning his spontaneous chi gung method.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

Awareness of breath is a typical object of focus. Keep the mind on the breath and the breath on the mind....

• Like 2

Learn to concentrate. Kill two birds with one stone and concentrate on the place in your belly where your inhale stops when you inhale through your nose straight down. That'll build internal energy. Keep at it until you aren't thinking about this spot but are actually resting your awareness in the sensation of this spot. There should be no awareness of a You doing the concentrating. No tension, total relaxation, upright spine. Keep at it. It'll take you all the way.

• Like 2

It all depends on what you wish to get from cultivation.

Health, altered consciousness, psychic powers, relieve from stress...

• Like 1

If you are interested in beginning a meditation or cultivation practice, I would suggest that you find a local teacher or group to begin your journey. Most methods are best studied with expert guidance. Trying to evaluate systems and methods on your own or with anonymous internet recommendations is problematic. 

I suggest finding programs in your area and meeting the teacher and some students. You can learn a lot from how you are treated and how you feel to be with them. You can then do some more focused research on their program. Many will offer an inexpensive or free introductory lesson. That would be my approach. 

hey steve, why do you think

"Trying to evaluate systems and methods on your own or with anonymous internet recommendations is problematic." 

i ask this because i have nothing other than on my own and anon internet recommendations, anything related to energy or meditation of the kind is banned in the country  currently reside in due to the religion they follow, what should i do if i have no person to turn to?

• Like 2

i think a major consideration would what qualities of mind are you looking to cultivate?

virtue is the basis for all practice and getting grounded with your energy well organized as a foundation, likely a big chunk of the path by itself.

most people who post on the internet (and society in general) in my estimation, have badly organized energy, specifically with too much awareness in their head and aren't well grounded. whether that's you a teacher would be able to tell immediately and provide an appropriate practice. be wary of listening to people on the internet, as well meaning as they/we are, insight into karma is critical for determining what's most appropriate for an individuals needs. and being able to cut through the delusion via transmission. also some sort of lineage vs people making stuff up, to give the best chance of any of this bearing any fruit.

peace!

• Like 1

hey steve, why do you think

"Trying to evaluate systems and methods on your own or with anonymous internet recommendations is problematic." 

First, without a frame of reference based in direct experience, it is difficult to relate to what you hear about techniques and programs and difficult to know how you will fit with them. Sort of like never having seen or played a guitar in person, I then decide to buy one online and ask folks which one is best on a guitar forum...

Second, there is no way to tell whether your experience will be similar to that of others. We all have different needs and proclivities. They change over time. Others' experiences and results may or may not have much bearing on your own.

Third, it is difficult to assess the validity and credibility of anonymous strangers online. Some folks may be experienced and knowledgeable with solid advice and recommendations, others may be quite the opposite. No way to tell and those with less experience often make very dogmatic and passionate comments and recommendations in order to sound more credible than they actually feel. 

i ask this because i have nothing other than on my own and anon internet recommendations, anything related to energy or meditation of the kind is banned in the country  currently reside in due to the religion they follow, what should i do if i have no person to turn to?

You are in a difficult place and perhaps turning to a group like us here on the web is your only option. Use caution and common sense.

One practice that is simple and profoundly beneficial is standing meditation, zhan zhuang.

It is relatively easy to learn without a personal teacher. Here is a good book on the subject. 

Another marvelous practice that I recommend can be found in this book. It is more of a seated meditation approach and is very accessible to anyone. It's a core part of what I currently practice.

Neither of these practices is overtly religious, which may be an important consideration where you live.  

Edited by steve
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this